Menu

complaints

NetSpend Complaints Summary

536 Resolved
260 Unresolved
Our verdict: With a good resolution rate, NetSpend generally handles customer issues well. However, it’s important to be proactive. Familiarize yourself with their processes and services. Reading through various customer experiences will provide valuable insights into how they handle complex issues.
File a complaint
Claimed
NetSpend has claimed their business profile
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of NetSpend. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages

NetSpend complaints 796

Sort by:

Newest NetSpend complaints

3:23 pm EDT

NetSpend funds frozen

I have had several reloadable netspend cards, since I cashed a check at a local check cashing center and they suggested I could load funds on one to pay my bills online. My disabled brother has his social security being deposited onto one of their cards, also. This month we were supposed to move on 9/1/09. I've been saving the money on one card. On 8/25/09 I received a credit onto my reloadable card from returning a clawfoot tub faucet. Ever since the credit, netspend has frozen my account and all the funds! This means my brother and I can't move... And their customer service center in austin, tx is all esl people that are rude and hard to understand. They wanted the faucet co. To send proof of my purchase. They faxed it. Then they wanted my receipt. I faxed it 3 times. They still won't allow me to take my money. I have held on the phone for hours every day, and they just repeat their stupid policies over and over. They said it's against "visa/mastercard rules" for them to accept a credit from a purchase I made with another card. They keep saying my faxes are "invalid" because they are not "the original receipt. " yet they accepted the refund into the account. I asked for a copy of their policy and they said "it is not our policy to give customers a copy of our policy. " I have had to postpone my move, and file complaints with tx better business bureau and the tx attorney general. I have no idea when I will get my money. This is fraud with a capital f!

Read full review of NetSpend and 6 comments

6 comments
Ken LaDere
Jan 03, 2017 12:12 pm EST

Wow.. That was easy, After threatening www.fraud@netspend.com 3 hours later I was Unlocked and am going to see if the Measly 270.00 on the card will work. People, This will not change if you do not make a stand. It's time for Corporate America to Wake the hell up! If Anyone need's help send an email. I'm done being screwed over by them!
kensappraisalATgmail.com

Ken LaDere
Jan 03, 2017 8:31 am EST

Went to Advance Auto to return a fuel pump we ended up not needing, Money got to card and Netspend Locked Acct.
Sent receipt for return, as well as drove to Parts store to get a printout of purchase and transactions. (Original receipt lost).
Reference # [protected]

Will be calling a Lawyer, This is poor business.

Your Fraud dept. appears to be the "Fraud".

kfgallaher2142
Lockport, US
Jan 29, 2015 1:15 pm EST

A horrible company to deal with. So disappointed. My 83 year old mother had her va benefits deposited because she is homebound and i am her caregiver. I use that account for her care.. Or was going to but the day after the deposit netspend froze the account "for her protection" and refused to release the funds until she provides all sorts of documents. Several calls and hours of frustrating communications and in the evening some guy from "corporate" calls my elderly mother and guarantees her account is in good standing and everything is fine... We still can't access her funds. She has not current photo id because she is homebound and elderly... They won't accept anything helpful and certainly refuse to work with us. So her va funds have been confiscated and she has no access to her money. So poor 83 yr old war widow can't get her money to live or pay bills. If i were not here.. How would she live? Netspend is a horrible company. Lying to an elderly woman is beneath contempt.

V
V
Victem #12121122212
Orlando, US
Oct 16, 2014 2:35 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Same thing happen to me as i even forewarned 2 consecutive days that a merchant credit for a certain amount more than i purchased was to soon be credited to my account and both times each rep said ok and my card has no holds and will be processed once received. I even wrote a message from my account prior stating the details in writing and response was sent to me still prior to credit stating generic response of 3-5 days and willbe taken care of.

Well tuesday i wake to text alert of my credit, go to grocery store and boom embarassment and later find locked. When i told u 3 times twice by phone and written. Financial systems security... I think not! You processed funds that you knew would lock account and didnt provide me the correct information and mislead me. If it was unauthorized then you don't process regardless to take the proper steps for verification. And stop misleading because that is fraud.

CHRISTOPHER RENO
Yucaipa, US
Apr 22, 2013 9:07 am EDT

I purchased 2 $500 reload packs a month ago but cannot load the funds onto the cards. I did the same things that the other complaintants have done per request of netspend and have not received an answer from them. And now they wont reply to my emails at all. Since then i have been evicted from my home and my bank account was closed due to indefficiant funds. I never thought losing $1000.00 would screw my life up that bad. And netspend dont care in the least

a different display name
Nunya, US
Sep 03, 2009 4:14 pm EDT

Banking regulations require financial institutions to monitor accounts for certain events. A merchant posting a refund to a different card than the one used for the original purchase fits that description. Your bank can't see the original purchase on the account, so it can't verify the source of the funds is legitimate. The process your bank is following is designed to prevent money laundering and theft from merchants. While I’m sure you’re not doing anything like that, the bank is just following the procedure it follows to protect the public and insure the security of its accounts.

If the situation can’t be resolved with documentation (like an original purchase receipt), the bank will likely send the money back to the merchant where you can return to get your refund another way. To avoid this problem in the future, insure that merchants only refund purchases using the card that was involved in the original purchase or in cash. That’s the rule merchants are supposed to follow and it will avoid these problems for you!

8:29 pm EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend refused to release my funds.

I activated a pre-paid credit card with this company. They took my money, however after I provided them with the requested information, they would not activate my card. Their customer service was non-existant. I stayed on the line for literally hours. Each representative refused to help and would simply keep placing me on hold for more than an hour so that I would hang up and call again, or worse, send me to an automated number that would force me to start the procedure all over again. Last representative I spoke with was Irma and she would not give her last name or employee id. She currenly has me on hold for 1 hour and 13 minutes.

DownWithNetspend
Balch Springs, US
Feb 14, 2013 3:18 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have a Facebook group 1 million against netspend. Im trying to get people are of the, inmy opinion, deceitful business practices involving this company.

7:42 am EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend irs refund direct deposit do not do!!

I recently just had my irs refund direct deposited on my netspend card. The day it was suppose to be loaded, I checked my account and the money wasn't there. When I called to speak to someone about it, they told me because of the amount of the refund it was subject to verification. I was assured the money would be released in 4 hours. After the 4 hours needless to say the money still was not released. I called back and they said that I had to fax in a copy of my paycheck stub! What type of verification process is that! I faxed it in anyway and was assured that as soon as they received my paperwork they would release my money. After an additional 2 hours, I called back and the claimed that they haven't received the fax yet. They say that they receive the faxes by batch and it could take 6 to 8 hours for them to receive it. The next day my money still was not released and nobody had any answers why. After being on hold for an hour and 12 minutes, I was informed that the deposit was sent back because they couldn't verify anything. I was disgusted and disappointed. I had to wait 2 weeks for the refund to get back to the irs and another 2 weeks for them to send it to me in check form. I quickly closed my account with netspend after that and encourage all who are netspend customers to do the same!

Read full review of NetSpend and 23 comments

23 comments
Y
Y
Yanjohn Pescov
Mar 08, 2022 4:23 pm EST

Netspend is a gang of rude bullies and thieves. Who gives them the power to steal and violate their own terms of service.I recieved a deposit that was locked immediately until I provided documentation to verify the source of deposit. I provided the documentation and the account was unlocked. some time later without notice it was again locked. netspend asked for id documents which i provided and acct stayed locked. when I inquired i began getting mysteriously disconnected frequently. they refused me any avenue to contact besides calling customer service and allowing the agents to ignore what i was saying and literally start from scratch every time. no person to contact no email no supervisors and no information. It had been many months and netspend just sits on my funds. They say that the depositor will not reply so that I must obtain a letter from the depositor releasing netspend from all liability for anything having to do with any claims i guess. i am positive that netspend would never sign such a letter. i told them to return the funds to depositor so I could recieve it. they refused. said i must provide some agreement from bank to bank and nothing to do with me and I doubt highly they would even accept such an official document from 3rd party anyway. So then I asked these thieves if they just planned to keep my money then? since the depositor has no claim or interest and theyyyy cannot talk to them as proffesional banks even but expect I can? for one if they need it its their job to get it. not mine. they are just setting unrealistic conditions. I ask if they would just be taking my money for themselves or what? thek said no they would hold it for like 6 yesrs and then turn into state fund for unclaimed funds and i could get it then! i said how will i find it there? what do you mean they said? when I claim it in many years how will i identify this unclaimed money? what do you mean? they say...well your telling me some nonsense about cant verify identity. and im right here asking for funds this is hardly unclaimed. well you will use your name they said...wtf? so youll say you cant verify me but youll eventually surrender the funds in my name as unclaimed. insanity. The terms of service allows just a temporary hold and that if not satified they would close account and submit funds by check to address on account or digital transfer to designated account. they simply leave me on hold endlessly until it rings again then cuts me off. every time they do this i must start over from scratch. Now I need money to help my family and ukraine and they dont cae

aviance
Apr 11, 2017 3:53 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am receiving the same problem, I have one digit off one my account and I am supposed to be receiving my return. Me and my kids are almost homeless, Now im for sure that we will be on the street. It is real hard out here. I even said i will email or seen all my infomation plus tax information also. it is supposed to be delivered in the morning but now i will have to wait 8 more weeks.

emmanuelobadiah1978@gmail.com
Mar 23, 2017 8:19 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

how much tax can someone receive to NetSpend card

Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am EDT

Hello,
It depends on your product type. As these reviews are anonymous, please email social@netspend.com to account specific information and limits.

Britt296
Mar 09, 2017 8:01 am EST

Netspend doesn't know where my refund is. They sent it back to it's after I went thru hell and back sending them info and waiting all day and calling them all day. ThIs is not fair. I sent everything by 12pm and they just sent it back after telling me all day I would get it. Now I gotta wait 6 more days? Why did like 10 different people lie to me and say i would get it? I owe people and yall got me giving them wrong dates making me look like a lose. I'm done with yall for good.

Mar 10, 2017 3:10 pm EST
Replying to comment of Britt296

We are sorry to hear about your experience with your deposit. As these reviews are anonymous, can you please send this review along with some account information to social@netspend.com. This will enable us to locate your account and assist you.
We hope to hear from you soon.

Christian Rodriguez
Mar 05, 2017 9:39 pm EST

Absolutely most horrific experience. Nothing is more dreadful than receiving your tax refund on a the damn netspend card to activate it and find out the balance is zero. I did my taxes through turbo tax and at the end they offer my tax refund on a netspend card, so I'm like sure, NEVER EVER AGAIN. I went to order parts for my truck for $53 and I WAS DECLINED ON 53 DAMN DOLLARS! So, I called customer service to handle the situation only to be bombarded with ads until the department as if it was on purpose. I'm usually a man of great patience, but this experience pushed my patience to levels never experienced. If my situation is not properly taken of, then my lawyer and I will by sure to rectify this situation in court. This is not a mistake, its a crime and a federal one at that. Bank of America found out with its overdraft fees and Wells Fargo with its amazing account management. I am not issuing an idle threat! This is my tax return to receive from the IRS, I agreed for my return to given to me through netspend NOT TAKEN, which is a breach of trust and should be fraud.

marion.joslyn74
Feb 24, 2017 12:35 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I had my tax return deposited to my NetSpend account, the refund was sent to my account today. But, funds are not available yet. I called the automated line and was told by automated system that there was a pending deposit on my account, but when I talked to two different customer reps, I was told there is no pending deposit, that it must of been a mistake by the automated system, so I asked to speak to a supervisor which was a horrible ordeal in its self. He then proceeded to tell me the same thing the reps had relayed to me. Which is false.. The refund was clearly sent to my account from the government. I have had this account for sometime with direct deposit for my payroll and never had an issue. But, now with my tax refund the issues start. I am not happy with the customer service I was provided nor with the fact that there is so much confusion over my refund. If things do not change, and I continue to have issues I will be taking my business elsewhere. Where's my dam refund...

Feb 24, 2017 5:06 pm EST

Hello,
We hope to hear from you soon.

Miyah25
Nov 15, 2016 8:51 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I filed for my tax refund this year and netspend closed my account and sent it back to the irs. I called to inquire why it was returned and no one coukd give me an answer at all. I had to wait 2 weeks to receive a paper check from the irs. Then today i got a new netspend card and put $50 up there to pay a bill. My card cannot be activated. I call customer service and they transfer me to fraud dept. Fraud has no answer just that my account is closed and my card cannot be activated. This is the worst customer service i have ever seen. So they claim they are going to send me a check, wouldn't even give me the amount of the check and still no answer as to why my account is closed or why i cannot activate my card. So now i will have a late bill if they even send my check.

Destiny Trexler
May 24, 2016 8:43 pm EDT

I think netspend and/greendot is owned by Citibank & another world Bank, ( its on back of card) which is owned by OSAMA BIN LADEN'S family & those banks have shareholders that are OSAMA BIN LADEN'S FAMILY. . . this is probably why netspend gives Americans so many problems-- cuz I think its owned by/ran by the BIN LADEN family.

Alvin Celebrado
Mar 21, 2016 6:46 pm EDT

Avoid Netspend, They are scammers. I now have to wait for my tax refund to be returned to IRS, and then wait again for IRS to send me a check. What a hassle and time consuming. I should of just had it sent to my bank account. Last last last last time to ever use these crooks.

Charlotte Fahrenthold
Feb 23, 2016 1:09 am EST

My tax refund was put into the wrong account. I had gotten the account number from netspend to put on my return and then when i checked with the IRS and found my refund had been sent and it wasn't on my card I emailed them to find out what was going on. They gave me an account number to verify that it was sent to the correct account but of course it wasn't, but it was sent to the account that netspend provided me the account number of. I dont understand why they cant move the money from one account to another if it was their mistake, as it apparently was in several different situations atleast.

12:28 pm EDT

NetSpend $1500 theft

My name is Elliott George, I am a deep sea diver and i work offshore in Gulf of Mexico, I have a netspend card because when i got hired i had to have a quick way to have checks deposited to an account and this was the quickest option because i was in between banks. On the 17th of June while i was on shift overnight, (from 12 a.m to 12 p.m) my card account was charged 30 times in the amounts of $50.00 each, totaling $1500.00, i have never heard of this vendor before and have no way anyone could have gotten my card information, i called the netspend customer service line the next day and spoke with a script reader who couldnt speak english well, i spoke with a managaer i advised i didnt make charges and this was not a pin purchase nor did i sign my signature to authorize debit and i demanded to stop payment, i will dispute charges. They told me i had to wait for vendor to collect charges then fax in a dispute letter w/dates of transactions, and the dispute department would contact me in 10 buisness days. On June 19th i faxed in letter, waited ten buisness days, it is now July 29th and i have yet to hear from the dispute deptartment, i have searched Galaxia comm. online and they are in South Korea, have an office in Woodside NY, [protected], the phone just beeps buzy and there is no way to contact, i will go against netspend advice and file police report. i need my money back and will not stop until i get it i work very hard 7 days a week 12-18 hrs a day.

Read full review of NetSpend and 7 comments

7 comments
dmrose12
Randolph, US
Oct 26, 2010 6:21 pm EDT

they got me too! 45.00 twice. Beware!

Frustrated82
Antioch, US
Jun 01, 2010 2:42 pm EDT

I just recently looked up at my statement, had to call my bank real quick. 4 charges or 41.94 from galaxia and 2 charges for iTunes. WTF? So my bank had to block future charges til i get a new card. effen jerks! go get a life!

aoi-san
May 06, 2010 4:18 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

WOW! I never expected to see so many ppl with the same problem from this scam freak. $1, 800 and several other smaller transactions later and here I am! They tried to bite off more than they could chew and the bank notified us of the larger sum before they posted it. Now its under investigation...hopefully we'll get all of the other monies back too.

We figured we were just hacked while trying to pay bills online... leading me to believe thats where they got his onfo.

According to his bank statement and some online digging... its a place from Seoul Korea, claiming to have office in NY...

[protected]
6911 Roosevelt Ave
Woodside, NY [protected]

Of course when I tried to call the number all I got ws a perpetual busy signal. Obviously the company info is just a front for what they are really doing. I have since copied all of the online info I have found and also all of your complaints from this forum and have taken it to my local police department. Also when the bank saw the list of similar complaints from other people being stolen from they were shocked. Once they realized this wasn't some individual scam situation that many ppl were involved... their whole outlook changed.

We'll see about that... Best of luck to everyone and if anything informative comes my way I'l be sure to share it here.
Pissed in PA...

lnorto2girls
Temecula, US
Mar 13, 2010 5:26 pm EST

We too were victims of this company, two transactions for 44.16 on the same day and they have another company that tried to take over $3000 via our bank card, all from Korea..our bank flagged the larger transaction but had to dispute the two smaller ones and it is just a waiting game..best to have your bank investigate and we also have no idea how they got our card information..very frustrating to see how much money they are getting illegally! Good luck to everyone who has been victims of these jerks!

Elea
Tampa, US
Mar 11, 2010 10:03 am EST

I had two 74.34 charges from Galaxia. When I called my bank they told me that another internet company had tried that same day to make a charge of $ 3, 200. I'm trying to figure out how they got that card number. I recently switched cell phone carriers and to me that looks suspiciously close in business to ringtones. I switched from Metro PCS to Sprint. Any of you received this Galaxia charges after leaving Metro PCS or starting with Sprint? I know that it may not have anything to do with it but I'm just curious.

Crumpalump
Jan 26, 2010 3:58 pm EST

I too just had 131.00 charged through my debit card (visa) from Galaxia...I also had two more pending charges from iTunes. Needless to say I cancelled my card and sent in my dispute form. I'd love to hear if either of you have had success in getting your money back.

Jerm the worm
71104, US
Dec 21, 2009 7:39 pm EST

12/28/2009 cahrged 3x by galaxia. once for17.88 and 2x for 44.70. my banker told me it was used on itunes. did you ever have follow-up? How are they continuing to get away this?

2:37 pm EDT

NetSpend allowing unauthorized charges

They are allowing unauthorized charges to my account and over chargeing my card for more than I actually purchased. I have receipts proving what I have spent at a certain place and they have pulled more than what I have spent.

NetSpend Employee
Nocona, US
Jul 28, 2009 3:56 pm EDT

While your bank is not responsible for the merchant's billing practices, they can assist you by helping you open a dispute claim against the merchant. Check your Terms and Conditions to see how the bank requires that you notify them. Usually, they just need you to call Customer Service and identify the erroneous charges, then send in a written statement. The bank will go after your money by filing a claim against the merchant. All financial institutions handle this kind of thing the same way. Don't blame the bank! They can help you against the merchant!

ConradLights
Moody, US
Jul 27, 2009 9:45 am EDT

Thats not an unauthorized charge. An unauthorized charge is where you don't have any relationship with the merchant. What you have is a disputed charge. Have you gone back to the merchant to see what the deal is? That's where you should always start.

3:46 am EDT

NetSpend $750.00

I had netspend, i also was getting my payroll checks deposited into this account. I was robbed $750.00 from the account. I had the service where the company send a message to your cell phone. Too bad for me I did not catch the fraudulent charges until my shift was over. I worked 16 hours this day. This company called GALAXIA COMMUNICATIONS CHARGED MY debit CARD $50.00 every 30 minutes starting at the hour of 11.30 am. There were 15 $50.00 purchases from this company.

When I called to report the fraudulent charges. I spoke to a script reader named Josh. No help what so ever. Very impatient, and without the proper knowledge of a company he works for. I had to go online myself to see what procedure I had to file. I was very disappointed that a company could allow those many charges without even putting an alert on or a hold on the card. I am not surprised. It has been my experience that if one is not banking at a reputable company be it mortgage, prime rates, the less than perfect creditor is always taken advantage of. I work so hard for my money. I did not expect my hard earned money to be debited from my account in a matter of 6hours. I was so vexed. I explained to the customer service rep, to look at my spending history. I do not spend $750.00 in one day at the same place in a matter of 6 hours. I will file a police report. I hope I will be able to get my money back. If not, what else is new. Look at how this system handles the lesser class. Look at New Orleans.

I will not use this company anymore. I will open up my account with National city. I owe them $361 I will be visiting them on my next payday.

I hope this never happens to no one ever!

To the person that made the heartless comment about people having less than perfect credit being stupid ###. I only can say to you keep living. You don't never know where your life will lead you. Your opinions are too strong and very inhumane. I am a caregiver and I have to take care of people just like you everyday.
My opinion of others never get in the way of me doing my job. In conclusion, please take care of yourself. What you put out will come back, some day so be careful and repentance is golden.

Update by Chan2go
Sep 07, 2009 10:19 pm EDT

update, Netspend refunded my money on my debitcard August 29, 2009.

did give me 700 dollars back. I had show proof of all faxes I send. I kept a journal of names, and supervisors I spoke to and the dates. I did not speak to any customer service reps. I went strait to the supervisors and spoke with them. I wrote down every statement that was said to me. I quoted them to the tee. I kept my cool, when I called, although I was upset and angry. I called the dispute department every day until I got results. I gave them every paper the company requested and communicated via email, fax, phone, I got my money!

I am working on getting the 50 bucks, but at least I got the 700.

To any one wanting results, keep a journal of names and dates and times you call. Write down everything, because, if you want results you must also be organized and keep account on everything. Its their business to keep a journal on us. We must keep a journal on them as well. Tw0 can play that game. But we must all stick together and quit being stepped on by the corporate jerks!

Chanta2go

2:48 pm EDT

NetSpend ripoff

I went to a bank to withdraw money from my account. I declined the transaction because their fee was too high. This bank withdrew my money anyway, even though I received nothing. I disputed this that evening. That was over 3 weeks ago. I called the bank and they had put it back over 2 weeks ago. I have called netspend daily, talked to customer service and supervisors. I have left countless messages to the dispute dept. and still nothing. They said it shows the bank sent it back, but it has not been posted to my account. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE? 2 WEEKS? Do these people have families to feed. I do and I can't because NETSPEND STOLE MY MONEY!GRRR

FRANK SALAMONE
Bel Air, US
Jun 30, 2014 12:31 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

ON JUNE 20 I PLACED A ORDER FOR A ONETIME SAMPLE PACK OF PRO WHITE AND I DID NOT WANT ANY OTHER PRODUTS FROM ACTION PRO WHITE AND ON JUNE 30 THERE WAS A WITHDRAW AMOUNT OF 93.13 FROM MY CARD EVEN
AFTER I SPOKE TO THE SALES PERSON I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE MONEY PUT BACK INTO MY ACCOUNT. REF# [protected]

4:51 pm EDT

NetSpend referrals

I have been trying to get credited for 4 referrals for a long time netspend ppl give u the runaround
I talked to supervisor did no good they do not know what they are doing and dont speak english

Jul 06, 2009 8:26 am EDT

if u didnt get the 20.00 fromthe # in back of card please call the [protected] today

Jul 02, 2009 7:09 pm EDT

problem solved

if anyone wants the 20.00 free call [protected] this is the home office before 5pm after 5 call # on back of card
tell them u were referred by code [protected]
and get 20.00 instantly
might as well get something back from them

if ur thinking of getting a card this would be the time usually pays 5.00 now 20.00 for a short time

Jun 29, 2009 8:38 pm EDT

u can reload free at heb stores
if u want to try and get the referral bonus 20.00 call netspend use referral code [protected] u might get it some are

9:21 pm EDT

NetSpend fraud charges not refunded???

My debit card was used fraudulently and it drained all of my money. I followed all the steps to insure my money would be given back to me. Long story short 10 days after filing my disputes I called their customer service center, if thats what you want to call it. Anyhow the simple answer was mam we are sorry you lost your dispute. I nearly fainted being that it would be clear to see it was fraud if a blind man was seeing the activity...I am fighting for my money

Read full review of NetSpend and 3 comments

3 comments
Gary Rosenthal Sr
May 19, 2011 10:02 pm EDT

My name is Gary Rosenthal and Netspend stole 4, 200 on two cards and said too bad you reported it a month later

DebbieB of Sebastian Fl
Sebastian, US
May 15, 2011 10:44 pm EDT

I have had the same issue as in the last part of April I had 4 unauthorized transactions on my account in Texas I live in Florida. I feel its an internal situation as I had ordered a new card after mine got destroyed in the washing machine. They people I spoke with to order the new card was with customer service. 3 days later my card was hit and all of my information was changed to a Texas adr. I have never lived in Texas at all. I had to do a dispute letter and get a police report. Needless to say I closed all accounts with these people. I will contact the State Atty General of Florida as well as Texas to get my money back. Also contact the FDIC as the cards are issued through MetaBank in Omaha Ne. Also I am contacting the FTC and the BBB in Austin against these people. They need to stopped.

Najia
Jul 27, 2009 3:50 pm EDT

I had the same situation. Over $800 + the $1 per transaction fee! Netspend did the same thing, and just kept pushing me around. They are supposed to be approved by BBB online, so I filed a complaint a few days ago with the BBB.

T
3:43 pm EDT

NetSpend netspend not refunding my money

There were unauthorized charges that submitted on debit card for 59.95. So how every time I speak with an associate, its someone in the philippines or somewhere. Anyhow I spoken already up to 10 reps, no one can assist me or tell me what going on. The send me to an automated systems that requires me to leave my claims number name and number, and says will call back in 24-48 its been almost been 3 weeks and still have not been notified. Then they blocked my card without my authorization, and had 378.00 hold on my card. Tell this day I have not been refunded called backed or notified. Then they tell me it takes 10 to process when another transaction for 79.95 after spending with a rep was credit the next day.

T
2:45 pm EDT

NetSpend dont do directdeposit

I have had netspend since 2005 and thought, that I could turst them. However I have never been so dissappointed. The 1st problem I had was making a purchase @ a store the info came sayin bank unavaiable when the purchase was for $25.00 and my account had over $250.00 that posted over 5days before the next problem started with direct directdeposit that shows up like 2days late when calling to speak with a manager @ netspend his answer to my ? Was they have received very large amounts new customer wanting directdeposit so that could be the problem keep in mind I have been with this company for 4 years and this the answer he gives me it's 12pm my time and no deposit yet this is payday friday...

Datadude08
Jul 09, 2009 3:27 pm EDT

I have been using Netspend since 2006 and have had direct deposit with them for about as long. I have never once gotten a late direct deposit. In fact, the direct deposit is usually credited literally as soon as it arrives and is released from my employer. I have nothing but good experiences with them with the exception of the extra 15% autorized when you rent a car.. But that extra 15% is immediately returned once you complete the transaction with the car rental company.

Jun 27, 2009 1:58 am EDT

Sometimes the problem isn't with the card or the corporation itself.

Sometimes it has to do with when your company allows that money to go out.

It varies at different places, and it might be worth a stop by H.R or a call to your corporate headquarters to make sure it's not them.

If it truly isn't them, then at least you can go to netspend and tell them that it is indeed their problem. Your company may even be willing to talk to them on your behalf, since getting paid funds is important to their employees. But start with the company, because everyone's policies are different.

7:24 am EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hello my name is sasha marie wilson-talley and here is the letter of dispute I sent to netspend and online debit account opened by a marcus darringtion in toledo ohio, who stole my id and had my son's ssi benefits deposited into this online account... I don't know what the resolution will be after reading some of these stories. I fear I will not get the...

View 0 more photos
12:20 pm EDT

NetSpend I am being charged 10.00 a month and cannot use my card. the balance is very low now and I need a refund of my $50.00 back.

Back in the month of february, I applied for a netspend visa card. I have always had a netspend card since the first time they came out. I put $50.00 on the card, because I knew that someday soon, I would actually need the money. Well, the time is way past, and I need my $50.00 now more than ever. I signed up for the unlimited use program and am currently blocked from using my card. Due to suspected identity theft, my entire name has changed. I sent them information twice concerning my identity, including an old out of state driver's license in the month of february. I contacted them, again in the months of february and this month as well. I no longer drive, so I now have a regular security i. D. That information was faxed this month.
Now, they want old information when I did drive. Look, i'm too damn poor to play these assinine games. I graduated from being homeless last year to having my own apartment. My foodstamps, as of today I no longer get. So, I do need that last $50.00 to eat on and whatever. I refuse to go to the church places that feed the homeless anymore. The environment is not a really cheery-like place. I need my $50.00 now. Please help. Because of their monthly charges, my balance is now $0.00 and have never used the card, yet. Nor have I even been sent my permanent one.

Jun 27, 2009 2:13 am EDT

When you opted in to unlimited use, you also opted in to a 9.95 a month fee.

I doubt you will see your fifty dollars back, putting the money in a savings account or hiding it under your pillow would have been smarter.

Also, to the other person, are you sure you read it correctly? it states there will be no monthly charge if credits/debits are made and the account balance is checked. If you can prove you did both, then you should be able to get your refund back. I know the way they phrase it on the website leads you to believe it can be one or the other but I have a sneaky suspicion its both.

Because really, tha'ts how most of these cards work.

Dennis Babbitt
Gardena, US
Jun 01, 2009 7:35 pm EDT

I was declined using the NetSpend card in conjunction with my PayPal account for an eBay purchase. I have only had the card since December 2008. The dialog box stated in red that my card had expired, but I had just checked, and the balance was sufficient to cover the charge. The agreement states the service charge is waived if there is current monthly activity, but they are still charging me $5.95 a month to have the card. I have canceled my account and requested a payment for the balance, minus a $5.95 service charge. I will never use their service again.

8:13 am EST

NetSpend total scam

I received their offer a few days ago in the mail, I was sickened by the legaleze
That I could barely read. They use a type font of 4 which is barely readable. They charge a monthly service of of $9.95, plus there are tons of hidden charges. This company slowly extracts money from you and you don't even know it's happening untill it's to late-if you file a complaint you go through a process from hell, you'll eventually grow tired of waiting and just give up-that's what they expect you to do. This company is one of the biggest fraudsters out there. They prey on consumers with very little credit or that can't open a bank account. Look around people checking accounts are free these days...

Please read all the other posts on this company and "dont" sign up"

Your wallet (And wife) will thank you

myst1111
Jul 03, 2009 9:21 am EDT

u dont have to pay the 9.95 a month this is something u sign up for
and if u have a problem call [protected] they will fix it

Jun 27, 2009 2:17 am EDT

It's called read the fine print, angry people always complain, and if you activate the card, sign up, or click a button stating you agree, then you have agreed.

Maybe people should be smart enough to not blame others because they can't read small print or find a magnifying glass if it worries them so much. Also? You choose your fees, when you use the card you are authorizing fees, and in the end? The blame rests solely on you.

Are you even smart enough to realize that by being on this website, you agreed to a million terms and conditions by clicking and posting this comment that you probably even aren't aware of?

Small print sucks but it's everywhere, watch out for those medication commercials . . . lol.

12:38 pm EST

NetSpend unauthorized charged

Monday 2/01/2009 I went to david's check cashing in brooklyn, newyork. I loaded $600.00 on my netspend prepaid visa card. I've been a card holder since 02/2008. I did'nt use the card in a while before that 600.00 load. The next day 02/02/2009 I got a txt message from netspend telling me a 100.00 t-mobile charge was made. I don't have a t-mobile account. I called netspend they said they will look into the matter. Which I assume they will. I spoke to a supervisor name anna who told me to call back on 02/06/2009 she will release the funds back to my account cause t-mobile already collected the monies. Now here it is 02/16/2009 still no 100.00 I called t-mobile who don't know sh** they couldnt even fax over a document to netspend explaining that I dont have a tmobile account I just heard a million sorry and excuse now netspend is telling me they didnt run a investigation because I never fax over a letter (Which they never told me to do) they just told me not to worry and they will get my money. I just want my damn money back. Please dont use netspend they are rip offs and they will not help you.

P
10:41 am EST

NetSpend unauthorized charges

I had an unauthorized charge placed on my account in november 7, 2008. The company that placed the charge on my acoount contacted you and request that the money be placed back on my account to no avail. I've contacted your customer service department and requested that the money be returned to my account. Each time i called i was told something different. I was told to fax you a copy of my bill. The $ 53. 63 was not part of my bill, that money was added to my bill after i checked out. According to the marriott, it was a security deposit to make sure nothing was broken or taken from the room, and was supposed to be returned to my card witin two days. They also stated that they had contacted netspend and request that they release the funds. Netspend told me that the company had not request that the money be released. I contacted the marriott again and with me on the phone they contacted netspend and was told the money will be release within 48 hours. I also called netspend and was told the money will be released within 48 hours. I called netspend today and was told that they don't release the money until after 90 days. With the economy like it is, no one should have to wait to retrive their hard earned money. It is four days from being 90 days. This is a poor policies and procedures as well as poor customer services. Whenever my money is placed back into my account, i will closed this account and deter any one else from doing business with this company.

guest123
Alpharetta, US
Jan 13, 2009 2:47 pm EST

Whenever unauthorized charges appear on your bank account, you should contact your bank immediately to resolve the situation. Your bank can help you with these charges by filing a dispute claim. Just call the customer service phone number usually found on the back of your debit card and give the agent a list of the unauthorized charges. Usually, you have to file a written statement describing what happened and your bank can assist you in getting your money back.

11:43 am EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This bank stinks. The customer service associates are some of the rudest I have EVER encountered. They also hold your paychecks until thw latest possible times even getting ridiculous with the releasing times. Other banks that the company he works for ALWAYS get the reaeased funds to the employees way before Skylight financial post theres. Then they have...

Read full review of NetSpend and 22 comments
2:40 pm EST

NetSpend money taken

I to had a problem with netspend. They closed my account for no reason and it had over 3k still in the account. A friend of mine referred me to this website http://scamattacks.synthasite.com and for a small fee they helped me get my money back.

Read full review of NetSpend and 7 comments
7 comments
I
I
Ian Levine
Mar 06, 2021 3:43 pm EST

This net spend all access is pretty much a scam stay away I had received a card with my name on it that I did not request!

Jennie501
Sep 26, 2019 5:54 pm EDT

NetSpend is the best card I have ever had I will keep them forever NetSpend don't close accounts like that but you can't have multiple accounts with one social security number so you had one in the past and for some reason you buy another one then that is when they close one of the accounts they don't steal your money they are good to people and they try to help by allowing us to get money early a real bank won't do that for you I love you NetSpend keep up the good work

$matters
May 23, 2019 9:23 pm EDT

PS. Just in hopes of there being less judgements & accusations tossed around of one another--after all--this is a "complaint board, " I'm posting a link to the article below entitled "FTC Sues Netspend Over Access To Funds, " showing the above comment wasn't by ANY means an isolated incident. So please all, be nice to one another & give the benefit of the doubt with kindness & compassion. It coulda been you! . . .

$matters
May 23, 2019 8:41 pm EDT

I'm just learning about Netspend, & I see they do have super high fees for those who can't get real credit cards & regular bank accounts, but they also offer the highest interest savings accounts around, thus the perfectly legitimate motivation one might have for using Netspend to hold their savings, even thousands of dollars (for the great high yield APY). What Netspend doesn't communicate well--at least not visibly anywhere online, or by calling an agent--is that their fraud department will lock, suspend, or close accounts without warning if one simply applies or logs into several Netspend card accounts all in one day. Apparently that makes them paranoid that their system i getting abused. In my opinion, that's lame on Netspend's part, & unfair. If they explain those rules up front, no problem. But without advance warning, many folks can easily feel they were shut down for "no reason." And unfortunately, getting access to their own money may be temporarily delayed, if not prevented for longer. Just saying . . . Netspend could do better, & using it apparently comes with some degree of risk.

Danim
St. Louis, US
Jun 27, 2009 3:13 am EDT

Netspend doesn't close accounts "for no reason", what were you trying to pull? Money laundering? Fake identity? There has to be a reason.

Secrest-Rich
Jan 15, 2019 5:00 pm EST
Replying to comment of Danim

Sorry to inform you but they do and it happened to me not once but twice on the day i was to ge my direct deposit from work both times. Now you tell me why would someone have their card canceled on the day you get your pay check. There was no reason for Netspend to do this to me. Then they tried to charge me to have it transferred . It cost me a lot of headaches. You have to keep up with everything with Netspend. Green Dot is the best they don't charge you a monthly fee if you have $1000 a month of direct deposit. Plus they wont cancel your card without your permission..

Jun 27, 2009 2:53 am EDT

3k? and you're running around with a netspend account?

That makes zero sense to me.

Shouldn't you be at a real bank with that amount of money? And aren't you just shamelessly promoting a website that might also be a scam?

Perhaps you'd like to share your "story?" Although I doubt there's a real one here, because you would have posted it.

lame, get a life.

2:28 pm EST

NetSpend poor business

Netspend! What ever you do do not use netspend and here is why. I am in the us military and I decided to have my pay deposited to netspend as I had previously had that account before I joined, this is how they treated me. On halloween of o8 I went to an atm on post to get some cash, put the card in and it was to my shock retained by the bank. All my money was on that card. I call netspend after calling the bank that owned the atm in question and netspend informed me that at that particular time that their systems were down so that when the bank that owned the atm tried to request funds from nestspend they received no answer. Hence why my card was retained. Now after calling netspend and learning of their inability to provide any funds and or information to me I was certainly angry and was promptly hung up on by their rep I call again and received the same treatment finally after several attempts I spoke to someone ask for a manager and was told there were none.
Not that they werent available just that they were not there. After several colorful threats I was put on the phone with someone that was said to be important and I demanded a new card. Oh I forgot to mention on the previous calls where I had been rudely hung up on I had also demanded a new card and was told they would send me one but it would cost me 10 dollars.
That of course was unacceptable. Finally after about 2 hours of dealing with theese people I was assured I would not be charged for the new card and that it would arrive in 7-10 days. Granted at this point, now I am for all intents and purposes broke even though I had just gotton paid. That was part 1. Part 2 comes when I call then again on tue nov 11 to confirm that the card was on its way if not allready here I was informed that they had not sent the card because it was an invalid addres its a miltary post, company, battalion etc they had not even attempted to contact me via phone or internet and very smugly proclaimed it was not their problem. So what I had to do was actually go to a local retailer of the cards purchase another one and transfer all funds over which in and of itself was also an hour long nightmare in short if you or anyone you know are thinking about opening an account with netspend do not, and inform as many people as possible to not as well. I am also going to go to the military i. G. To hopefully ban this company from being able to do any military business at al. L get the word out this is a company that simply does not need to exist.

4 comments
netspend user
Panama City Beach, US
Dec 21, 2010 11:57 pm EST

yeah i have netsepnd, ive had them for about 4 years, becasue this check cashing place went throught them. I have had nothing but trouble. They are reluctant to emphasize, have rude caes, and basically want you to use their banking with no incentives. I lost my card after the 3rd year at the beach, i had no money, i mean i was flat broke becasue the card of course had my funds. All i *wanted* being a customer for 3 years, having thousands of dollars in and out with them, was them to ship me a new card priority or overnight, and even charge it to my netspend account. I emailed and called multiple times, they said, there's nothing that can be done, and like the soldier i was hung up on when i demanded a sup of some kind. I work at comcast as a cae, and i understand that u cant get me a sup, but having to wait 7-10 no matter what is just not good customer service.

spirited223
Phenix City, US
Nov 15, 2010 10:04 pm EST

I totally agree with the soldier, thank you for serving, I have experienced the same thing with this company and another prepaid company that models netspend...its unfortunate that you have to learn all these things about who you bank with after you cant access YOUR MONEY..they make direct deposit soeasy to get and navigating the website is simple all the things that make you comfortable, but i guess some ppl dont know how uncomfortable it is when you just got paid and you cant pay rent or buy gas or food and you have to borrow money not because you dont have money but because your bank doesnt have alternatives to getting you your money in case of emergency or a situation called life. Businesses have gotten so far away from being human and having compassion for one another we dont put ourselves in other ppls situations anymore...since they wont do anything about it, its up to us to learn from it and never direct deposit our funds to scams like these. I bet half ofthem dont even bank with Netspend that work for the company, I wonder how they would feel if they went to dinner and used their card and it was declined, oh by the way the card has plenty of money on it, but the company system is down so you have money but its unavailable...thats what happened to me at a birthday party at a resturant i was buying my food, my parents and my grandmas, bill was over $100 and i had to take up a collection...then when i called the bank and ask why had i not been contacted I was informed that calling me is a courtesy and not mandatory, mind you when i left the resturant i didnt have much gas was gonna wait until i left the party to get ithad to borrow from my friends, it was just embarrassing, i was supposed to go by the atm and get my part of the money for the cake and i couldnt get it, so when i called in they wanted me to verify purchases i had made and i lived in one city and worked in another (5 minutes away) they also believed my phone had fraudulent activity. Long story short the card was deactivated and sent me a new one had to wait more days for a card. Mind you when i first got the card i didnt set up direct deposit on it until i had it for like a month, so the first week i got paid my check was saying it was pending, then on pay day $0.00 I called to see what was going on they said they didnt see a deposit? I was on hold forever, then was told a manager would call me back...finally got the call and was told the check was sent back because the card had been inactive, i said so the check was showing pending for 5 days and no one called me to say it wouldnt deposit or go ahead and deposit it anyway! I was told it was my fault because i let the card go inactive, , I told the man obviously i thought it was active if i put my check on it right? Anyway, so lesson learned..Its not about whos fault it is or was its about when you bank with a company you want to trust in them that in any situation they will treat you ike a human being and have alternatives to assist you when life happens. How you were treated was awful and i dont think you were trying to blame anybody, i thinkyou just wanted to know that the ppl you trusted your money with would be able to help you.

myst1111
Jun 29, 2009 10:49 pm EDT

if lost or stolen card u have to pay but when i got my new card when it expired 3 yrs they did not charge me

Jun 27, 2009 2:22 am EDT

Unfortunately, your card being retained was done so by the atm, not netspend.

So, technically netspend doesn't have to issue a new card free of charge. Can they? Should they? Absolutely, it'd be great customer service and make you a bit happier in your situation.

Getting hung up on sucks but from working in a call center, sometimes it does happen. I can't talk for sure, maybe they were just jerks and didn't want to listen. Also, supervisors aren't sometimes readily available, I had to call a few people back or put them on hold sometimes for two hours to get them a more accurate response.

As for the next problem, providing a valid physical address is up to you. I can't help but think that would have caused your situation to go smoother.

Thanks for what you do for the country, but I'm not willing to say that you helped your situation out any. I'd complain to the atm more than netspend over this one . . .

3:35 pm EDT

NetSpend keeps texting my cell and im angry

Yes I keep gettin damn text messenges sent to my phone from this company I don't even a have a credit card through. The texts needs to stop immediatley or u can start paying my monthly cell bill for receiving text I don't need and didn't sign up for. Thk u and have a nice day!

4 comments
lumbadox
Nov 28, 2012 1:08 pm EST

And I did not even enable this stuff, I got it with my new phone number...

lumbadox
Nov 28, 2012 1:07 pm EST

I texted stop and unsubscribe and neither of this worked. I still get this stupid texts. Please make it stop...

BigBallahMike
Oct 15, 2009 1:17 am EDT

Like any of the SMSMMS alert services, they only send alerts if you enable it by logging on to your account or by texting BAL to their short number (I think it's 22622). Also, they are required to stop these if you reply to the message with STOP. It worked for me, give it a try...

Jose Marquez
Nov 24, 2008 3:28 pm EST

i'm with that other guy netspend keeps texting my cell phone i dont have a texting plan its 10 cents to recieve texts on my phone and sometimes i get up to 10 from them a day! thats sick in a month i had to pay over 30 dollars worth of texts from guess who netspend you can believe that they will be getting a bill from me and if they dont pay it they will be hearing from my lawyer!

Overview of NetSpend customer experience

Netspend has been receiving a lot of negative feedback from its customers. Many claim that the customer service is terrible and they have difficulty getting in touch with a representative. Others complain about the website and mobile app being glitchy and difficult to navigate. The biggest issue seems to be with account freezes and holds, leaving customers unable to access their funds. Additionally, many report being charged hidden fees, such as ATM fees and monthly maintenance fees. It is clear that Netspend needs to address these issues to improve their customer satisfaction.
Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

NetSpend contacts