National City Bankviolation of privacy

P

On December 30th, 2008, my husband deposited a check into our National City Bank checking account at the Coldwater Branch. We live over an hour away and only visit the Coldwater branch a few times a year, if we are visiting his parents. Upon entering the building, he found out our sister-in-law, Courtney (Yeakey) Turner, was a teller.

After leaving, we immediately called corporate to be sure that Courtney hasn't been looking at our account without our approval, and violating our privacy. Corporate informed us that National City has a 3 month history of employee login information, and reported that Courtney had looked at our account 3 times within the past three months, and even gave me the dates of her violations!

Corporate suggested that we contact her supervisor with our findings. I spoke with the manager, Michelle, and she stated she did not know the proper protocol for privacy violations and would have to call corporate herself. Michelle called me later that same day, and stated she spoke with Courtney, and told her our findings and gave her a verbal warning. HERE IS THE SHOCKER!!! Michelle told Courtney it was US, violating our privacy again!!

Surprisingly, we then got a call from Courtney's husband, Jay Turner. He immediately began yelling obscenities at me! Now, being a teller, you cannot tell anyone, even your husband, who are customers at the bank because that is a violation of privacy. Obviously, Courtney told Jay everything, violating our privacy again.

I was not satisfied on the way this matter was handled at the Coldwater Branch. It was apparent that Michelle decided to discipline Courtney with a slap on the hand, when Courtney violated her first and most important oath as a teller, PRIVACY. I called corporate and the Saline, MI Branch to report my disapproval of the discipline, or lack thereof, but since Michelle already gave Courtney the verbal warning, nothing more could be done until Courtney look at our account again.

Everyone I have talked to, including other banks and employees of banks, including my mother who has been a teller herself for 30 years, said that proof of a privacy violation is an automatic termination. But not at the Coldwater Branch, privacy must not be important. So, I had to switch banks, which was a lot of work! But not that it matters much, because Courtney now knows all of my personal information including my income, debt, social security number, ect.

BOTTOM LINE: National City Bank is a JOKE at the Coldwater Branch. It is obviously mismanaged. Please do not trust the Coldwater Branch!!!