National Car Rentalclaimed "damage" to vehicle

A May 02, 2018 Review updated:

Three months after I rented a vehicle for four days in Kalispell, MT, I received an invoice for $983.90 to replace a windshield - for a chip that was less than 1/2" wide. It was not a star, and it was not in the driver's line of sight. I received no contact prior to National completely replacing this windshield, nor was I ever contacted to discuss the "claim" or how to handle it. After receiving this ridiculous bill, I requested a quote from Safelite - it was $310.00 - compared to the $874.90 invoice from Safelite that National provided me as part of their documentation.

I rent cars multiple times a year, and AS STANDARD, upon this car rental, I was told to report ANY damage LARGER THAN A QUARTER. This tiny chip was not ! See the attached photo. The damage was not incurred during my rental period.

I contacted the third party company National utilizes for claims, they did not answer and I have not received a return call.

claimed "damage" to vehicle

• National Car Rental's response · May 02, 2018

Alissaf,
    We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to [email protected] include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
    We look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,
    Carol H.
    Social Monitoring

• Updated by Alissaf · May 11, 2018

National failed miserably to assist in any way. They did however clarify, with their own documentation, that 2 additional miles had been put on the vehicle after I returned it. They also clarified with their own documentation, that they did NOT properly complete pre and post inspections of the vehicle. They further clarified that absolutely NOTHING in the agreement states anything about replacing an entire windshield for a less than 1/2" chip.

• Updated by Alissaf · May 11, 2018

National did absolutely nothing to resolve this bogus claim. They did however, with their own documentation, prove that 1) two additional miles were driven on the vehicle after I returned it. 2) show that the rental agreement states NOTHING about replacing an entire windshield for a less than 1/2" chip. 3) show that pre-inspection and post-inspection of the vehicle was not properly done.
    Yet, even with all of this, they are still stating that I am liable for the ridiculous "damage" charges.

• Br
    Brian C H May 29, 2018

Same issue with me. I rented from National at Oakland Airport. The car they provided was dirty, but the only one available. I returned the car 4 days later in the same condition I rented it in. There was no one available to check the car in so I returned the keys to the designated drop box. A few weeks later I received a letter asking for insurance info to cover the damage done to the car. I have tried to contact National at the phone number, mailing address and e-mail numerous times. They did not respond to my request except to send a invoice for windshield replacement. (Took me over a month just to find out what damage they are claiming!) The invoice came with no supporting documentation, just asking for payment immediately. Since National is not willing to contact me I have opened a case with the BBB. Hopefully, they will have more success.

Bottom line is do not rent from National or any Enterprise Holdings Companies!!

Brian Huster

• NationalCare May 30, 2018

@Brian C H Brian C H,
    We look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,