Michaelsemployment.

A

Honestly, I was very excited and hopeful to begin my employment at Michaels. My first day there quickly squashed those feelings. I was hired into the framing department and given an apron. One of the managers told me id get a name tag and a locker to place my belongings in while I work, the following day. I was then brought back to the framing counter and introduce to a woman named Michelle, who'd be in charge of training me. Once the manager left, I was immediately instructed to put something away. Not having the knowledge of where anything was, I began to look around for its place. She then began to describe to me in the most condescending, baby talking voice, where to place the item. I was honestly shocked that this was our first interaction. That was essentially, the entirety of my "training". I've never had a trainer make fun of me for not knowing how to do something, they were suppose to be training me on. That continued everytime I worked with this woman. In addition to her correcting the guests at the framing counter. I am honestly shocked that this woman has worked here for so long. I was hired into the framing department, everyone aware I was a waitress before this and had no idea what to do. I was more than willing to learn framing, and in the beginning was even excited to learn something new. I needed this job so badly that I decided to stay, despite how horrible everything was going. If she was leaving from a shift when I was coming in, there would be a list of things for me to do(I'm not normally one to complain about working at all). I felt as if she saved things for me to do, that she was physically inept to do, due to her weight. When I worked with her, she was more worried about gossiping and filling her coffee cup endless times, than completing pieces. We only completely 3-5 pieces each time I worked with her. I felt as if I was her monkey because I was young, naive, and new. Fast forward to black friday. At this point, this was my 12th or so day. I'd only been at the framing counter a number of times, for single opening pieces. Needless to say, I needed help with even simple things regarding the computer program used. I was left a list by Michelle, and left to run the framing counter alone, on black friday. At one point, I asked the assistant manager Don for assistance as there was a guest that needed a canvas stretched. He instructed me to call another store and have them walk me through it, right in front of the guest. Later on there was a piece with multiple openings, I again asked for assistance and this time I had stated I was as far as I could get alone. I really was trying. In an irate tone I got "well I'm on register right now. Can you describe to me what it looks like that you need help with?". At this point, I didn't even have the knowledge regarding the computer program, to be able to formulate a sentence that made sense. So I literally replied that I didn't know how to even describe it in correct terms. It was like pulling teeth, but I got someone to come help me. Overall, Michael's made me feel VERY stupid, after not wanting to train me properly. I get that it is the holidays and everything is busy. So don't hire if you cannot properly train. I also understand that this particular department has a fairly high turn over rate. I hope I am helping you understand why that might be. I never received a name tag, a place to put my belongings, simple encouragement as I made endless efforts to learn what was needed of me, or proper training. These are the miniscule things that make people feel intellectual and needed. They matter. These 3 weeks working for the Clearwater Mall Store, have made me feel more out of place, unwanted, bothersome and defeated, more than I've ever felt those things in my 20 years of life. Thank you for your time.