McAfeeallows malware charge to remove

from dispute letter to McAfee
A renewed subscription of McAfee Total Protection plus the SiteAdvisor was installed 27January2010. All protection was activated. Total Protection plus the SiteAdvisor is an implied guarantee that the customer is protected from all malware if the product is activated and the customer only opens McAfee designated safe sites.
On 17March2010, I clicked on a map site that displayed McAfee's safe site icon. Both Total Protection and the SiteAdvisor failed to provide the protection from malware that I paid McAfee to provide. McAfee's Total Protection allowed malware (cleanup antivirus) to infect my computer.
I was then told by, first, a chat tech and then a supervisor that, even though McAfee's Total Protection and SiteAdvisor had failed, I would have to pay $8.95 to have a tech clean the malware from my computer.
When the e-mail charge arrives, the charge is not $8.95 but an outrageous $89.95. The charge was neither clearly stated verbally or written in the chat message. First the customer pays for McAfee's Total Protection and then they expect you to pay McAfee again because the Total Protection did not protect as advertised.

• Pe
    Perry-TX Jun 23, 2011

They just sucked me in for another $89.00. It is the last dime they will get from me. They had a tools to clean it up - why did I get the infection if they knew it enough to clean it in seconds - literally.

This was for the Vista Security 2012 virus. Igot the same story as above - many viruses - can not guarantee where I go, computer up to date - blah blah - Stay Away. Find something better - there are several.

• Dr
    Drstein Apr 23, 2011

Same here...I paid a two year subscription. About six months ago I cotracted "Adware-OneStep. " I contacted Mcafee and the tech moved my mouse around willy nilly...and suddenly it appeared mt Adware-OneStep.b was one. I ran another scan and bingo, it was there. Frustrated I let it be for the past 6 months or so. Tonight, run acan, it shows still there...contact Mcafee and they want 89.95 to fix. No-No I tell them...I already PAID 90.00 DOLLARS FOR PROTECTION. They pretend they don't hear you. I then ask again, ...did I pay 90.00 for protection...the Mcafee party says yes...I ask ...did you provide protection considering I'm infected??? They come back with all this mumbo jumbo about its a big world, viruses multiply daily, so hard to keep up...baloney I say...Did I pay 90.00 ??? Yes they say...for protection against viruses and malware...yes they say...then you failed I say...fix my pc. Are you the mob/ Yakuza...I pay but you are trying to shake me down for more money..no way...long, long story short...got a supervisor...kept asking if I paid for protection...YES OR NO...Did the provide...YES OR NO...They said as a one time courtesy they will repar and gave me a # and a pin...I will never re subscribe again...and everyone...STAY AWAY...SAVE YOUR MONEY