Maytag / French Door Refrigeratorproblems with the ice maker!

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• Maytag's response · Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [email protected] with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Apr 08, 2013

Hello alnappier. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have endured regarding your refrigerator. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at [email protected] and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name and your ticket number (39710). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Feb 27, 2013

Hello lbedell. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard.com), your user ID name (lbedell), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, your ticket number (34374), and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Amber.

• Ck
    c kissel May 09, 2011

Same problem with popping and flashing. Thanks all for helpful info. I just unplugged and im now on my journey for the fix.

Jan K Apr 01, 2011

It used to be buying a Maytag meant that you were buying quality merchandise. I had a Maytag washer that we bought when it was 15 years old, I had it for an additional 10 years, and then my sister had it for another 15 years; it was still running great when she got rid of it last year! But this is about their refrigerator, not their washer. After reading each and every one of these comments, I may never ever buy a Maytag again. I was considering buying a used Maytag French Door refrigerator for $200, but after seeing these comments, and the lack of resolution, I will save my $200 and look elsewhere. WOW. What a piece of junk...I am glad I looked. Thanks and I am so sorry to see how many problems everyone is having.

maytag unfair Mar 30, 2011

I have had this refrigerater Mod# mfi2269vea1, for eighteen months the shelving support has broken for the forth time. The door seal broke on the 13th month just after warrentee. Some of the items freeze in different areas wasting food.We have an extended warrentee which we just found out only covers mechanical parts compressors, ice makers etc, all for only 226.00 for three years. The original cost of this refrigerater was 2200.00. I would recomend a class action LAW SUIT against them just so that this does not happen to anymore hard working people. I wouldnt mind if this was a low end refrigerater for 400.00 like i have in garage.That refrigerater works better than this one for sure.How do we start this LAW SUIT now???

• Wa
    wally's mom Jan 07, 2011

I too purchased the Maytag French door/ice/water dispensed out of the door model. After about 12 months the refrig started the lights flashing/ ice flap banging etc. actions. I did not have an extended warranty so I called the repair person. The mother board was out. $450 dollars later I had a running refrig. The ice maker does not make enough ice for 8 glasses of ice. When I have guests I have to purchase ice. I also purchased a Maytag dishwasher. Dumb twice. I will never purchase another Maytag product again. I have had Maytag washers/dryers for 40+ years but no more.

• Ca
    CAROL722 Jan 01, 2011

wow i have all the above problems, no ice and water .

martha dickel Dec 13, 2010

I also hate Maytag. My icemaker doesn't shut off and continues to overflow the basket and the ice cubes fall on the floor of the freezer and when I open the door they fall out on the floor. I am constantly bending over and picking ice cubes off the floor. I am fighting cancer and this is very hard on me but afraid someone will fall we are in our 70's. I will never buy a Maytag again. Very poor design.

martha dickel Dec 13, 2010

I am having trouble with my Maytag refrigerator also but different problem. The ice machine gets to full and falls on the floor of the refrigerator and when I open the door the ice cubes fall on the floor. Almost everytime I have to bend over and pick them off the floor. I am battleing cancer and am 3 months post radiation and I'm tired of this. I also hate the Maytag refrigerator. I have a botton drawer and french doors.

• Pc
    P Couch Nov 30, 2010

I have the same problem, , , I called Maytag tonight to find out I am just out of warranty an they said all they can do it recommened a service provider. I was in shock to find out I spent $4000 with my extended warranty an that was there reply. What happened to the days when a company stood behind there product? I thought I was purchasing a very nice product, as it turns out its poorly engieneered...I'm very disappointed.How much does this type of repair cost??

Please reply to [email protected]

• Da
    davidcat2380 Nov 25, 2010

I had the same problem like the rest of you, I replaced the HV board and after entering the code (1411) printed on my fridge it wouldn´t work. I was desperate and started searching the web looking for help, I was glad I did find a lot of help and found a different code (0302) so I used it and to my surprise it seemed to work.
    Now the only thing is I can´t get my ice maker or water supply to work. What should I do?

• Pl
    playing the game Nov 21, 2010

I've been reading the comments on this board for awhile (first time a few years ago when I had my initial encounter with the flapping in the door). The good news is that the comments were very helpful to me. I even went to a recommended web site and learned how to disconnect the ice maker so the flapping stopped until it could be repaired. WHAT HELP THE MOST WAS THIS PHONE NUMBER: [protected]). Somewhere back on page 7 of these comments, someone posted this number as the number to call for help. I've used it twice now. The people I talked to answer "Whirlpool" and are very helpful. They are aware of the issue, they order the part, it's sent to your house, they call the repair shop to let them know that the service call should be charged back to them. I am currently awaiting another part. Hopefully this fixes the issue for once and for all, but not sure if it will? This time the issue was still flapping noises, lights flashing, but not as frequently. I couldn't use the ice or water on the door, and the lights flashed every time I opened the door .. flapping would also begin. New .. this morning... the refrigerator and freezer stopped cooling sometime during the night. I emptied the ice tray and started cleaning out the fridge -- had to leave the doors opened so the beep started. When I was finished, I closed the doors and the lights on the ice/water dispenser remained on for about 15 minutes. They are off now, and the flapping has started again. I may be calling that number again soon. I'm the Thanksgiving dinner host for my family this year, so need a working fridge.

• De
    debraa Nov 02, 2010

my maytag french door is 4 years old and our 3rd icemaker was installed this afternoon. I am totally disgusted with this 2200.000 fridge. if it happens again i will go back to a side by side from GE

Missypoo Nov 01, 2010

Ok!!! Well the part didn't show up thursday like they said... So I had to cancel the service appointment. I just got off the phone with customer service to find out if the part had been sent. Well imagine my surprise when I was informed the part is on backorder until DECEMBER 10TH!!! You are kidding me right???!!! I asked the rep if they would notify me when the part was shipped since it went from being 2 days to a month and a half wait for my part. She said that it was my responsibility to check back with them if the part had come in. I was told I should use a secondary refrigerator or ice chest until the part arrived. I don't know about the rest of the people on this site but, I will never ever purchase a MAYTAG APPLIANCE OF ANY TYPE!!! Once again, I'll update this post if and when the part arrives and the fridge is repaired.

Missypoo Oct 26, 2010

I bought one of the first Maytag French Door Refrigerators in 2006. It was part of a major kitchen remodel. From the beginning, I was told my water pressure was weak and that is why the ice maker didn't produce enough ice(at the time I was the only one living in the house, my daughter was away in school) and why the water only dribbled out when I tried to get a glass iced water through the door. Then all of a sudden it's dumping ice like a champ! (Still no water!) Then just as suddenly, the ice stops!!! Then about 2-3 weeks later it starts making ice again. This has been my only issue with my fridge until now. I went into the kitchen to find the lights winking and blinking and the ice dispenser flapping open and shut!! After being hung up on when I tried to call the 800 number, I finally got somebody to answer after waiting 35 on hold. When I told her the problem, she knew immediately what the problem was, and made arrangements to send the parts to my house and to set up an appointment with A&E factory repair. That was Sunday night, the appointment is for Friday morning. What pisses me off is I gave my father my old GE Monogram side by side and he complains that the ice maker makes TOO MUCH ICE!! I shudda kept the old fridge!! I'll update this post when fridge is repaired.

• Rk
    rkorte Oct 15, 2010

My Maytag is doing the same thing. What's the deal on the class action or recall?

Sharon53 Sep 04, 2010

For those I have read concerning the maytag appliance I agree. It is the worst refrigerator I have purchased in my lifetime and I have purchased approximately 10 (even the used one worked better) than this $2000+ package of trash. I will donate it for the write-off and purchase my old stand by; Kenmore.

Sharon53 Sep 04, 2010

I have the same refrigerator you have and I am not happy/comfortable with it and I will never buy another maytag in my life. I purchased the extended warranty from the seller of the unit. My suggestion is do not purchase the warranty from the seller because they do no understand the detail working of the unit. The only person who could get my washer (I have all Maytag appliances) working was a magtag repairman, who had to be called in. The doors on the refrigerator unit remain ajar unless we stop, turn around and push both doors together and sometimes that does not work. So if you have another option, please do not buy the 3-door maytag. I have gotten to the point where I am thinking about donating mine if I can not get a solution to my satifaction. I have grandchildren who are in and out of the refrigerator and reminding them to stop, turn around and push the door together is another job that I choose not to do.

[email protected] Aug 25, 2010

Wow! I wish I would have read all of these complaints before purchasing my Maytag refrigerator! I have had my MFT2771WEM Maytag Ice20 French Door Refrigerator for 3 weeks and the ice maker is already having issues! I came home on my lunch yesterday to find puddles of water inside my refrigerator. After cleaning up the mess, I decided to conduct an experiment to find out where the water was coming from. I dumped the ice so the ice maker would make more... came home that evening to another flooded refrigerator. I have now turned the ice maker off. This evening I saw water running down the front of my refrigerator... I then found a pool of water in the tray of my water and ice dispenser area on the front of the door. This is ridiculous!! I have had the product for 3 weeks!!! I am not a happy customer.

• Lo
    LOVEHATE Aug 20, 2010

bought the french door 5 years ago. 3 months later, the motor went!!! 3 months? GIVE ME A BREAK. Worked fine after that, all the sudden, out of the blue, the lights went crazy, call the Maytag guy, warranty does not cover ...HUH? NO WORKING LIGHTS! About a month ago, the doors started to open when you close the left side, right side opens when you close the left side, now, the ice maker takes forever to make half dozen of ice cubes!!! But I love my refrigerator, piece of junk but I love it, no more warranty, so, I guess I have to figure it out on my own $%#@$#%%$#$#!!!

shadow17 Aug 12, 2010

My maytag refrigerator is a little older, 2004, but I have not had an icemaker that works in 2 years. It still makes ice, but the door unit is worthless. If anyone decides to file a class action, count me in!!!

chriskeane123 Jul 27, 2010

I guess I am jointing the club of disgruntled Maytag refrigerator owners! I thought that when I purchased this appliance, I was getting quality and durability! Wrong! Add me to the lawsuit list. Supposedly in ten days I will. have it repaired, but by God if I get a bill in the mail..I'll simply write this web link on it with a special note for them to kiss my a** and send it right back to them!

• Jr
    jrsandner Jul 20, 2010

Steve had the fix fixed mine last night with 5 dollars worth of parts sign me up for the lawsuit

• Ff
    ffemt685 May 19, 2010

I'm so irritated with this fridge. Any in for a class action, I am totally game.

Mad In NE Apr 16, 2010

We purchased a Maytag french door fridge with freezer at the bottom for our second home which was where we were to retire. We have had it only 3 years with little use and have had it repaired two times. Now I am told the compressor needs replacing and will cost $500. I am now a widow and can't afford it so I'll be getting rid of this poor product and will NEVER consider a Maytag anything. We had a similar experience with a GE washer/dryer and dishwasher, so I'm not sure what products are any good these days. The last fridge I had ran with no problems for 28 years. I wish I had it back! America used to make such good products, now, well...

ChristySciortino Apr 15, 2010

I have the SAME problem!!! :o(

• St
    Steven1982 Apr 12, 2010

Just fixed mine using this web site.

Very easy to do with no skills at all. Cost me about $22.00

• 2m
    2muchmonee Nov 04, 2009

My wife and I bought a Maytag Ice2O in the summer of 2006 as part of a kitchen remodel. We love the design of the French Door refrigerators but at that time our selection was limited. My wife was dead set on ice and water in the door so at the time the Ice2O was the only choice. What a piece of junk. The first year ('07) the main control board goes out and the entire front electronics panel has to be replaced. The next year ('08) the ice chute door goes haywire and flaps constantly along with the display images blinking. This year (last week) the fridge started making a noise like a compressed air hose was hissing inside somewhere and the whole unit stopped cooling. Everything defrosted or went bad that was in the fridge (we were out of town when this happened). Luckily we purchased the extended warranty. We called Maytag on Friday of last week (10/30) and they sent a technician from A & E to our home yesterday (11/3). He was there all of ten minutes and said that the unit is "non-repairable". This is where it gets interesting. According to the warranty Terms & Conditions, they have three options 1. Repair; 2. Replace; 3. Refund. Since the unit is non-repairable you would think it would be an easy call to either replace the unit or refund us our purchase price. Oh no. According to some kid by the name of "Troy", they have up to seven (7) days to make a determination. I asked Troy to point out to me in my contract where it gives them the right to take seven days to make that decision. He couldn't. In fact, he just kept reading from his "script" and repeating "sir, we have seven days to make a decision regarding your situation". I told Troy to make a note in my claim file that if that's the way they are going to be I don't want a replacement, I want to be reimbursed because I will not have another Maytag/Amana/Kenmore product in my house. It will be interesting so see what "determination" they make after seven days. WIth all the complaints about this product you would think that a recall would be in order. When you spend this much money on an item, you expect it to work and work well. This is ridiculous. Is it any wonder why the American applicance industry is dying while those companies from overseas (LG, Samsung, Bosch, etc.) are thriving?

MattClarke Oct 11, 2009

same here, just had to lol, we baught over price junk that is not backed by the G.E. If there is a class action sign me up Model #MFI2568AEW

• Be
    Becky Gahr Sep 11, 2009

Well I am having the same issues that I have read so far, with the ice maker. What is going on with this thing??? Maytag Model number, MFI2568AES stopped making ice. The water dispenser works well but no ice. I wish that I had read more about this refrigerator, what a dud. I love it but if this is the kind of service that it gives that stinks. I also agree that this issues must be wide spread and needs to be addresses by the Maytag folks. Sad, I will not buy another Maytag refrigerator. that is for sure.

• Jl
    JLJ Aug 23, 2009

Wow! It's amazing to see how many people are having the same issues with their fridge! My husband and I happened to be sitting on the sofa this evening when we heard a popping and clicking sound coming from the kitchen. When we went to investigate, we noticed that our fridge was "possessed." After reading all the complaints, we realized we were not the only ones going through the same problem. We've only had our fridge for 13 months! This is ridiculous!

We will be calling Maytag ASAP. If they do not plan on recalling this fridge and/or fixing this problem for free, I will definitely let them know I will file a class action lawsuit.

• Jl
    JLJ Aug 23, 2009

Wow! It's amazing to see how many people have the exact same problem! This evening my husband and I were sitting on the sofa only to hear a loud clicking and popping sound in our kitchen. When we went to examine what the cause was, we noticed that our Maytag fridge was "possessed". We've only had this fridge for 13 months!

I will be calling Maytag and demanding they fix this problem. Obviously, they need to do some kind of recall or deal with a class action lawsuit!

• Oj
    O J May 14, 2009

I had the control panel problem last year. They fixed it free. Now my ice maker doesn't work.

• To
    Tod May 04, 2009

mine has the same problem not enough power to break up the ice. Maytag brags about the repairman with nothing to do, he needs to get off his ### and figure out how to fix this problem. No its not aproblem its a widespread DEFECT. I will never by anything with the maytag name again.

Mike Apr 12, 2009

Hi there,

I live in Australia and bought a Maytag GS2327 two door with ice maker and it has been the biggest piece of garbage I have ever had. Had the serviceman down here several times during the warranty period to fix it but mainly to check the icemaker. He would look at it, do something that would take a few minutes and then leave only to be called back a day or so later. The last time it happened was a few days outside of the warranty period and I called Maytag Australia, emailed them several times and heard nothing back. Hence, the icemaker has not worked now for at least 12 months but will write to Maytag in the US to see if they will respond differently. Bye now!

• Sj
    S. Johnson Mar 17, 2009

Add me to the list - panel has gone berserk and ice chute claps every five seconds. This continues for about twenty minutes, and then all goes back to normal, only to repeat in 30 minutes. Meanwhile, both the refrigerator and freezer seem to be functioning properly - thank goodness, no spoiled or defrosted food! I am at home now, waiting for the A&E repair guy.

What has been very discouraging though, is the fact that I had a difficult time when I phoned Maytag - I was forwarded to no less than 6 different customer service departments, despite my extended warranty and the fact that I had purchased directly from a Maytag store. On one occasion I was told that they would not schedule the repair until I had unplugged the fridge for 15 minutes to reset the processor on the panel. My hardwood floor is now gouged, and I've had an arthritis flare-up in my hand, but it did not fix anything...

Everyone I spoke to denied any knowledge that this is a common and well-documented issue with this model. The Maytag repairman commercials are a sham... I will never purchase another Maytag product

• Vi
    Vicky Mar 02, 2009

HI guys we are having the same problem with the same fridge. I for one am disgusted that I have to worry about the time and effort not to mention the time missed from work to get my less then One Year old Fridge worth more then $3000.00 after taxes repaired. How are we going to make these manufacturers be responsible for the gabage that they are making. If this has been a noted problem from 2007 how come there has not been a product recall. Some how as a consumer group we need to get our message across to the manufacturers that we are not satisfied with the product they are producing . Maybe if we united our voices as one we could get the messgae across to the Maytag corporation. I am going to take a copy of all of these complaints to the sales rep who sold me my fridge. I would like an explaination as to why they sold me and continue to sell a fridge that has such a significant documented problem.

• Ns
    nsa Feb 22, 2009

Called Maytag about this problem, they were very nice, free parts will be overnighted, and there will be a free service appointment. I just hope my freezer doesn't melt down in the meantime!

• Li
    Lisa Davidson Feb 16, 2009

I am thinking about buying the model MFI2269vew has anyone had
    any problems with this model?

• So
    sot Jan 03, 2009

my parents just went and bought a maytag french door refridgerator at sears. i dont know which model. now im worried that they will be having problems.
    my father is 80 and terminally ill, they sure dont need problems with refridgerator to add stress to their already stressed out lives.
    i hope by now they have fixed any problems they were having

Mickey Dec 03, 2008

There is a known manufacturing defect with the Maytag Ice2O French Door refrigerator. Two defective capacitors malfunction on the High Voltage Control Board causing the door to flap and LED lights to flicker. Maytag will pay for the repair but you, the owner, must call Maytag to have the replacement HVC board shipped to your home. Then the local Maytag service tech will come out to install the new board.

When having this problem, some units lose cooling while others do not. But to stop the incessant flapping you should remove the hinge cover on the top left of the refrigerator where you will then see the wiring and a connector. Gently but firmly disconnect the connector and the LED and door flapping should turn off. This will not affect the cooling so it is much better than unplugging the power cord from the wall!

Sorry that your experience with Maytag was horrible. Mine was better although it did take 4 days to receive the part and then the local shop wanted me to wait a week for a repair visit. But a little telephone agression got a tech out the next day.

joe Nov 29, 2008

Most of your problems are because you bought from big companies such as Home depot, lowes, sears, ect... These companies go to the manufactures and tell them to make so many of them for the price they want. unfortunatley for you the consumer the only way for maytag or any other manufacturer to produce these fridges for that price is to build them with cheaper parts, such as less expensive less quality icemakers, amongst other parts such as evaporator fan motors, defrost thermostats, and even compressors. My advice is to always by from a reputable, local, and small time dealer. Some times you may pay a little more. But you know what they say "You get what you pay for". The kenmore name itself actually is sold to the highest bidder of that year, then built with the cheapest parts in order to turn a profit. And one more thing dont let anyone tell you that maytag is better than whirlpool or amana is better than maytag. They are all made by the whirlpool corporation. they are usually all good quality machines but they all use the same major components.