Maytag / French Door Refrigeratorproblems with the ice maker!

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• Maytag's response · Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [email protected] with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Apr 08, 2013

Hello alnappier. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have endured regarding your refrigerator. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at [email protected] and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name and your ticket number (39710). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Feb 27, 2013

Hello lbedell. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard.com), your user ID name (lbedell), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, your ticket number (34374), and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Amber.

• Lj
    Ljs23 May 20, 2013

Maytag model MFX2571XEM. 2 1/2 years old. Same issues with ice maker and control panel. No longer getting ice or water. Maytag can't get it right since 2007. Or maybe it's by choice so they continue to make money on a single product. No more unemployed Maytag repair men like in their old commercials.

• Lj
    Ljs23 May 20, 2013

I have maytag model MFX2571XEM. Same problems with ice maker and control panel going crazy and finally stopped working. Purchased 2 1/2 years ago. You would think a problem that has been going on since 2007 would have been resolved in their products. Class action sounds good.

ChrisNall May 07, 2013

Thats a great thing. But hopefully you dont encounter the same problem as I did. Once the fridge sits for several days the condensation and acidity cause leaks in the tubing . You may not realize it right away but over time it will begin to leak down . May take a month or may take a year .And they keep denying any other problems caused by their faulty electronics .Even though the tech that came out admitted the leaks that can be caused from the issue.

• Jm
    jmcd2002 May 07, 2013

I have owned my Maytag fridge since 2007. I really like this fridge. Today, I encountered my first issue with it; same as everyone is describing regarding the flapping ice door and flashing control board. Called Maytag service and they are sending a tech out in 4 days to fix the issue for free.
    I wish they had done that with my Neptune washing machine, which I threw in the garbage after 2 years and replaced with a GE model that has had very few issues.
    Maytag realizes that if they ignore their buyers, the company will eventually fold. That is why they have improved their repair services and this is a good thing.

• Al
    alnappier Apr 01, 2013

I too have had nothing but TROUBLE with mine. Only a few months after the purchase. I had trouble with their customer service representatives. All have been rude and unwilling to fix the issue. I will NEVER buy a Maytag product again. I basically paid a substantial amount of money to have to make my own ice still and drink water out of the tap. Thank You Maytag for nothing. I agree 100%-there should be a class action suit.

ChrisNall Mar 27, 2013

Ive received over a hundred responses from Maytag owners and have emailed several of you back . Some have reported the emails going to your spam box. Please check to make sure our correspondence is getting through . Thanks and look forward to speaking with many of you very soon about the Class Action Lawsuit . My email again is [email protected]

• Gr
    Grillus7 Sep 18, 2017

@ChrisNall Hi Chris, were you successful in initiating a class action lawsuit? It is fall 2017 and our Maytag has begun the classic ice door flapping, lights flashing... of course we are getting the wonderful customer service on this as most everyone else on this complaints board.. Gail

ChrisNall Mar 23, 2013

If you have had issues with your fridge then go to the following link and verify if your fridge has this certain Control Board. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Maytag-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/67006389/0046/464/Model-MFI2568AES/3048/0161000?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=M0708024&diagramPageId=00009&productTypeId=0161000&searchModelNumber=MFI2568AES&subCompDesc=Cabinet+back%2Ffront+rollers&brandDesc=MAYTAG&modelDesc=MAYTAG-REFRIGERATION&blt=11&shdMod=MFI2568AES They are defective and if you contact Maytag they will replace it for free . The problem is if your fridge goes out due to this and you let it sit for any amount of time then the acidity from produce and moisture combine to eat through the aluminum internals and cause tiny leaks in your cooling system .Maytag is refusing to fix damage caused by the faulty part so I have began a class action lawsuit page . If intetested in participating then contact me with your information at [email protected]

ChrisNall Mar 23, 2013

If you have experienced priblems with your Maytag fridge including not cooling, blinking lights, or ice flap opening and closing non stop, then you are probably victim to the defective High Voltage Control Board that Maytag used around [protected] or so . To find out go to Sears Parts replacements and look up the High Voltage Control Panel and check the part number .If its [protected] then you have the panel notourious for overheating and causing damage . The sad part is that when your fridge goes down because of this, the acidity from produce along with moisture cause a reaction with the aluminum internals resulting in tiny leaks in your cooling system . Maytag refuses to fix this issues that results from the fridge going down from the Control Board malfunction . Thats why Ive started the website MaytagClassActionLawsuit.com If you are inter3sted in joining the list of people who believe they were mistreated by Maytag then send your contact info to [email protected] Hopefully once enough names are collected they can be forwarded to an attorney to begin the process . Thanks and look forward to hearing from you . Chris Nall

ChrisNall Mar 20, 2013

I unfortunately just had the same issue concerning my unit . The unit went berserk, stopped cooling and ruined all my food . I managed to get it outside after leaking spoiled food all over my floor . I washed it out and contacted Maytag after reading the hundreds of complaints.They sent someone out to fix the panel but he couldnt get it to cool . He said many times when a unit goes down that the acidity from produce along with moisture can eat through the aluminum components causing a freon leak . Obviously this happened to me . I contacted Maytag and they said they would fix that too but once I called back they said that it was a separate issue . Then I spoke with another person who said they would send a tech to inspect . I took off work and finally got a courtesy from tech saying he was told not to come . I was amazed I missed work waiting and got no call from maytag saying they changed their mind. I called back in and was told flat out I would not be covered even though the fridge was fine before this happen . I suggest everyone read over the Consumer Protection Act which covers defective equipment causing issues by both injury and property damage . A Class Action Lawsuit needs to be organized concerning this also . In the meantime I implore each of you to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in your state along with Michigan where Maytag is headquatered .This will guarantee a response from corporate . Also make copies of this forum and send it to your State Attorney General explaining how you have been sold a defective item . They say ABC news once did a segment on this fridge issue also so I suggest contacting them asking for a followup story . For those that use social media, go onto their facebook and twitter page to post a link to this site and the way you have been treated after spending over 2000 dollars on a fridge that has lasted 7 years or less . Its time for small voices to unite to form One that is much larger . I can be reached at ChrisNall82 at yahoo.com for anyone who wants to join in this fight and form a list of consumers who have been done wrong by a Once great company

• Bl
    bliss1 Jan 17, 2013

Wow! To think I was about to purchase one tomorrow on sale for 1999.00
    Well not now. Not ever.
    Im sure the sales person wont be happy with my explanation and a copy of this thread.

• Lb
    lbedell Jan 15, 2013

This is unbelievable! I have a Maytag Model# MFI2569VEM2 which we purchased 2 1/2 years ago (7/10). Last night the electronic panel lit up with all the lights blinking erratically, the ice maker dispenser door would open and close, and of course none of the functions would work on the panel. I tripped the breaker, it would reset but then start doing the same thing over again. So yes, I googled the issue and a slew of pages popped up with everyone having the same issue. Now, I see that this issue has been going on for far too long, dating back to at least 2007 and it has effected numerous different models of refrigerators. So, it is obviously an issue with the control panel/motherboard rather than a certain model. I had seen a post where numerous people had posted and said Maytag was aware of the issue and fixed it for free. The last and most recent comment was from a gentleman who purchased his six years ago and when he called Maytag they informed him that his Model number was not effected but he was persistent and said he was able to get it fixed for free. I went to bed with peace of mind assuming since mine was only 2 1/2 years old, they would have no problem resolving this well known issue. I get up this morning and call Maytag. Let's say things did not go at all as I expected. She acted like she had never heard of the issue before and there was nothing she could do other than schedule an appointment at my expense or I could purchase an extended warranty for $360. REALLY????!!! I was persistent but all I received was her constant spill about purchasing an extended warranty there is nothing they can do because my particular model number has not had any issues. Does it not take a rocket scientist to figure out that it doesn't matter what Model number your Maytag refrigerator is when you've had over 7 years of complaints on numerous models with the exact same issues pertaining to an electronic panel/motherboard???? Well I am not going to let this fall to the waste side. I am going to actively pursue every avenue available to get the word out about this. I have seen so many comments about a Class Action Lawsuit, I am definitely looking into this. I would also encourage everyone to check out there Facebook page. They are flooded with comments by dissatisfied consumers, including myself. Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/maytag
    Maytag has really dropped the ball and their customer service is a joke! I wish I would have researched a little more thoroughly before spending my hard earned money, and extra at that for what was suppose to be a reliable brand.

• Fr
    Fred from HB Nov 19, 2012

Ref my previous Fred from HB.
    I attempted to submit a photo of Ice build up in the tray, but was not successful. I hope this will be successful.
    A picture is worth a 100 Words.

Comments

• Fr
    Fred from HB Nov 17, 2012

History of Icemaker problems on our Maytag French Door refrigerator, MFX2571 XEM1.
    Purchased on January 2011 at Home Depot, with extended warranty.
    Installed by a Professional Licensed Contractor.
    During the first year of purchase, under Manufacturer warranty, we started to have problems with the ice maker. When selecting crushed ice, only cubes came out. Called the warranty number and made an appointment for a check of the ice maker.
    On October 2011, the service technician showed up and did the following:
    Showed me why only ice cubes and not crushed ice was being dispensed.
    Why the buildup in ice had caused the rod to the auger to jam up.
    He hinted that this was an ongoing problem with the icemaker.
    He suggested that I check the icemaker tray weekly to make sure that the ice would not build up in the tray.
    Easier said than done. I lived with the problem until I called the extended warranty for the continual problems with the icemaker of ice still building up in the tray.
    On September 20, 2012 the technician showed up and basically said the same thing as the previous tech. I showed him in the manual where it said that icemaker had an automatic shutoff that would prevent the buildup of ice on the ice tray. I can understand his lack of response since that was not his problem but Maytag’s problem since the automatic shutoff was not functioning. On the following month we had another problem not related to the icemaker that needed servicing. Ice was building up under the lower freezer drawer. He showed me why the problem existed and how to correct it. At the same time I renewed the conversation about the icemaker problems. He was sympathetic but said he could not do anything about it.

So I googled the internet for Information on the Maytag Refrigerator’s icemaker problems.
    Lots of problems with the ice2o model. Glad I have not experienced any of the noted problems.
    So what to do next? I called the manufacturer 800 number to discuss the problem and what were they doing about it. The 800 number is a Whirlpool number [protected]) and selected the service choice. I explained to the Gentleman of my problems with the icemaker
    Specifically I detailed the following to him:
    Before proceeding, if anyone purchased a Whirlpool product and registered it with them, they would call up you history from your phone number indicated on the registration of your product (800 numbers will display the caller number).
    Date of purchase
    History of service calls
    Problems with icemaker
    Quoted from Maytag manual the item on automatic shutoff of ice maker on ice
    buildups. I indicated that when the technician showed me the where the physical portion of the sensor was, I concluded that it was not designed properly to be effective.
    When I asked him what the procedure was to document my noted problems and what could be done to fix the problems. He said he would create a file with an ID and forward it to the Review Board. When enough complains were received on the subject, they would review it and take action. Not to my liking, so I am requesting anyone with a similar problem contact the 800 number and get a file number of incident so hopefully enough complaints are registered to correct the noted icemaker problems.
    If not, other options can and will be pursued.
    Fred from HB

• Wh
    Whatsthedeal Nov 02, 2012

We bought our Maytag in Sept of '06. Guess we should consider ourselves lucky that its 6 years later and we are just now having the problem that everyone else has complained about on this board. I have yet to start researching how to acquire the new control panel but I do have a great tip for everyone who has experienced the problem of the ice chute flapping open and closed and making that continuous, annoying noise. We have a friend who is a fridge repairman and his first suggestion was to take a dish towel and shove it down the hole that the ice travels to block the exit, to stop the flapping and to keep the warm air from going back up into the fridge. Wow, how simple. Of course, this is no way solves the problem but it will give you some peace and quiet while you fight with Maytag over an issue that they should have long ago resolved. After reading all the complaints from others, I feel less confident that we are going to have our fridge repaired quickly. Our friend did tell us the same thing that others have said here...that the control panel is easy to replace and can be done by a novice. Maybe the harder task is to find the part. I'd go along with a class action in a heartbeat. Any lawyers out there?

• So
    something blue Oct 08, 2012

, too, have had major problems with this Maytag refrigerator! We have experienced everything from a malfunctioning ice maker, flashing control panel, overloaded compressor, erratic freezer (freezes much of the fridge contents), and doors not staying closed/inadvertently popping open. We have owned this fridge since 2007 and have repaired the ice maker and the freezing problems on our own dime. When the clicking sound woke the entire house up at 5 am, I finally decided to post! I realize that appliances are not perfect, and that Maytag had the best of intentions when designing and producing this product, but what really infuriates me is that Maytag has known about this wide-spread inherent problem since late 2006! Why no recall? Why no notice? Why no assistance? When I called the customer service line this morning, the representative acted like she'd never even heard of this fridge having problems-- yeah, right...all you have to do is Google the model number or just "Maytag fridge panel flashing and clicking problem" to discover thousands of similar complaints. I do not fault Maytag for manufacturing a "less than perfect" appliance, but I do hold them accountable for adequately repairing/replacing such a rampant and unsafe (compressor overload) product! Maybe, like the woman from Massachusetts suggested, it is time for a class action. Something needs to be done to protect the consumer from a company that is so slow to correct a long-standing and potentially dangerous problem!

• Je
    Jessica in Massachusetts Sep 29, 2012

I also purchased this piece of crap fridge 6 yrs ago. First time the HV Board crapped out we had only had the fridge 1 year. It squeked in under warranty and was repaired. Fast forward to August 29th 2012. Snapping and popping ice door, lights blinking all over again. This time the compressor failed to work and I lost $275.00 worth of food. Of course I had just gone shopping the day before. I have called Maytag 3 times. The last time I spoke with Tyree in "Benton, Michigan" he told me a part was available and that I should hear from them in 24-48hours. That was over a week ago. I have 4 children and we had no refridgerator for 3weeks. Still waiting on that part. My Husband went to Radio Shack, purchased 2 capacitors and we soldered them into the HV Board ourselves. We have electromechanical assembly experience so it was easy for us. I am calling Maytag on Monday. Any one else want to start a Class Action Lawsuit? Jessica in Massachusetts

mam1234 Aug 28, 2012

Update from yesterday. After several more phone calls and writing on the phone and a lot of my own research I think I have the part being shipped to me. Marcone Parts is the preferred parts supplier for Whirlpool/Maytag and they have this control panel along with another, Part Select. When I found this out I called back Customer Service and complained that they were hurting the consumer because 'their' manufacturer didn't have the part but there own parts supplier had it so why wasn't it made available to ship? The answer is Maytag would have to buy it back from them and of course that would be money out of their pocket as opposed to waiting for the manufacturer to produce more. This is highly unacceptable and most customers wouldn't have gone to the trouble that I did and probably wouldn't have done the research I did. We need to force Maytag to support their customers.

mam1234 Aug 27, 2012

Well, yet another member to this community. I have a MFI2568AEB French door refrigerator and have call the Maytag 800 number. I was successful at ordering the part but was told they are not in stock and the lady couldn't tell me when it might even be shipped. She said it was up to the Manufacturer now. I call ed another number I found and they were able to pull up my order but wanted the part number in which I didn't have. This time I was told that they would be a special investigations team on a search to find the part across the US. I would hear back within 24-48 hours if there was an available part located. I asked to talk to her Supervisor and I ended up the Maytag Customer Service Center in Tennessee and she told me that it would not be 24-48 hours but a week to 10 days before I heard back from them. I've been without a frig for 2 weeks now and shared my frustration that a company this size with obviously a serious problem with their control panels and not fix in sight? She told me that it wouldn't have been covered by the warranty. That infuriated me even more. A $2500 frig that sits because you can put reliable products in your products. She informed that it is not policy for Maytag to reimburse for lost items. I asked if that was in writing and part of the training for her and she stated yes. I then stated well the other customer service rep who told me it was going to be 24-48 hours wasn't properly trained. I'm now on hold for the third time and over 20 minutes just trying to obtain the order part so I can do my own "investigation." Thankfully I wrote my order number down but no part number was ever mentioned. Maytag obviously knows this is a serious defect. When I compared this to a recall, she said there is no recall and I said there should have been. I say a lawsut is in order for Maytag.

• Rs
    rscottbelford Aug 20, 2012

I might as well add my voice to the chorus. I, too, have a MFI2568AES french door refrigerator. It has blinking lights and flapping ice maker door. Like others, I have tried the basic things like unplugging and plugging in the unit. Lots of research suggests that I can replace bad capacitors, or that I can try to find a replacement part. I really don't want to foul up by replacing capacitors. I am hoping that I, too, may get satisfaction from Maytag. It's a great brand with a great reputation. It seems like a few small parts in a large supply chain are besmirching the brand and reputation.

• Ga
    Garmy Aug 10, 2012

Wow, looks like I am not the only one with this problem, found my MFI2568AES Maytag refrigerator doing this when I got home from work last night, lights blinking on the front panel and the ice chute opening and closing continuously. Tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and the problem was still there. With all these complaints on the same problem with these model refrigerators you would think a recall or fix would have been sent out from Maytag. This is my second Maytag french door refrigerator (the first one quit working all together) and I don't think my next one will be a Maytag product because of the consistent problems I keep reading about on this board.

• Ci
    CindyF Jul 03, 2012

Oh how i wish I had read this board 6 years ago! My ice maker stopped working 3 months ago (I guess I am fortunate it lasted 6 years with no problems). Called my appliance repair and they ordered the part to replace it after the diagnostic test said it was indeed broken. That was April 3, 2012. It is now July 3, 2012 and I learned that there is NO current replacement for the ice maker and they aren't even sure when the manufacturer will sending out the kits. Apparently a 6 year old refrigerator is obsolete and they don't keep the parts manufactured for replacement. Funny, my old GE is over 20 years old, gets plugged in around Christmas time for extra room and works like a charm - just not efficient. I am so frustrated with Whirlpool and the way they run their business that I will NOT buy another product associated with them. Personally, I feel that when you spend that kind of money on a refrigerator you would hope that 1- it will last, 2- it will be dependable, and 3- you should be able to get replacement parts. Is that asking too much? Oh and 16 pages of complaints...HELLO MAYTAG?

Annie07 Jun 19, 2012

Well, I can see this problems been on-going from at least 2007! Here it is, 2012 and I am now a member of the "Maytag makes cheap s*@t club". (Same problem with the electrical panel freaking out and the ice door flapping constantly) This is my 2nd Maytag fridge and I will NEVER purchase another of their products again!! (My first fridge crapped out on me after 5 months!)...wish me luck!

• Eg
    Egolinsky Jun 14, 2012

I purchased my Maytag side-by-side refrigerator from Best Buy in July 2002. (10 years ago) Sometimes my "Change Filter" light would come on, but most of the time it didn't. What I have found is each time the ice maker/dispenser acted up, ie; not as much ice, slow dispensing ice, finding the ice stuck together and the whole tray of ice becoming one big iceberg, and all those noises. etc, when I installed a new water filter, most of the problems went away. I also experienced a HOT SPOT on the freezer door about where the ice dispensing motor on the inside of the freezer door is located. My independent repairman (called him Saturday morning -- he showed up that same Saturday afternoon - NO extra charge -) told me (and showed me) the tiny wire that had burned up in the dispenser door motor. We're thinking that's why the freezer door had that HOT SPOT

marlenebl May 29, 2012

Have a Maytag French door refrig and it stopped cooling freezer and refrig. What can I look for being the problem and what should the cost be the refrig is 18 mons old.

• Je
    jenniferm79 Mar 10, 2012

Main control board broke on mine around the holidays. I finally got a new one in the mail. Before I got a chance to set up my appt. to get it fixed the fridge is now humming all the time and not cooling properly. It isn't even 6 years old! Off to buy a new one today I suppose. It won't be a Maytag!

• Wa
    walctalsha Feb 17, 2012

Is there a class action lawsuit against Maytag for these refrigerators? I'm having the same problem as everyone else and I was told that the main control board was the culprit. Change it out with no results. Then replaced the low voltage control board and still no results. Paid over 2500 dollars for this refrigerator about 6 years ago and Maytag won't do anything about it. I say we put in a lawsuit and see what happens.

• Ra
    Rae Y. Jan 12, 2012

Added comments...they wouldn't cover parts or labor since I'm out of warranty which is their right. I even asked to speak to a supervisor to see if they would fix it in "good faith" since it's a known problem. They would not, but offered to set up a service call for which I'd be responsible. They even tried to sell me another warranty!! I told her I was very disappointed that they are not assisting me and that I am pursuing this another way and hope to find a way to put this back on them since they know it's a known problem. They should have done a recall. I also added I would never purchase another Maytag product.

• Ra
    Rae Y. Jan 12, 2012

Same expensive fridge -- same problem with the lights flashing and the flapper opening & closing. Took some of your advise and called Maytag at [protected] with no luck. I purchased the original fridge in 7/2006 with the extended warranty that just ran out 7/2011. Had minor problems similar to others mentioned here (ice maker, water line dripping down front, etc.), but this is the first major issue that is keeping me up at night with the noise. We also have a home warranty, but I'm sure somehow they'll come out and find a reason to not cover it saying it's related to an ice maker or something and making us pay their fee anyway. So, first step is to provide all of the info and repair instructions to see if he's willing to attempt it, or if not will try home warranty. Thanks for everyone's info & advice. Wish us luck!

• He
    Hebsan Dec 30, 2011

Came home yesterday to a possessed ICE2O with the flashing lights and the ice flapper cycling every few seconds. Called Maytag this morning. Even though I stated that this was a known problem, they would not send me a replacement HV Control Board for free. They wanted to charge me 295.95 for the board + shipping. I was about ready to bite the bullet and pay for it, but I was cut off. I then called a local parts supply, and they had them in stock for 150+tax. On top of that, they offered a 15% military discount on Fridays. I walked out with a new board for 133.00. Took all of 10 minutes to replace the board, and I now have an operational refrigerator.

• Kf
    kfa Nov 25, 2011

I have the same problem. During my first phone call Whirlpool told me they would ship the part in 1 week booked service repair call for me. A week later I called back because there the part had not arrived, and they told me it was on backorder until 2020, but they would try really hard to locate it for me. They suggested I call back a week later. I called back a week later and they told me they were still negotiating with the manufacturer. and offered to exchange my 5-6 year old Ice2o for a brand new one with a prorated price of $1600. I am not really happy with that solution as I had not planned on buying a new fridge right now, and would rather buy a lower priced fridge from another company.

• Lo
    Lois Legendre Nov 02, 2011

Bought my fridge July 28, 2010 and the right door makes clicking noises and drops down when opened, clicks (loudly) and goes back up when I close it. have had repair service here twice and they have tried to fix the door but and that's a big but, it will take 6-8 more weeks for door problem to be rectified as Whirlpool says they have to make a new door for it. so I am looking at possibly 12 weeks for total repairs, in the meantime the freezer (on the bottom) on the right side is filling with frost and ice. Oh great, improper seal so it runs almost continuously, called Whirlpool "they are sorry but 6-8 weeks or more still stands before door is available" Called warranty (Home Depot) and asked what could be done, Nothing, it seems But if I don't want the fridge to run and run up my electric bill I was told and I quote "Well unplug it and put dry ice in it."
    Also they replaced "the brain" in this fridge last month as things would freeze in different areas whenever and where ever it wanted to in the fridge area, drawers where ever.
    I am frustrated 12 weeks is a long time .

• Dr
    Dr. EM Oct 24, 2011

Almost forgot - If you're going to work on your machine yourself, unplug the power first!

If you don't know how to solder, check out YouTube, there's plenty of videos showing you how.

• Dr
    Dr. EM Oct 24, 2011

Same problem. Door flapping at 3 AM. It was caused by two electrolytic capacitors on the main board, accessed behind the refrigerator. They had failed as evidenced by swollen tops with some black leakage showing. They were rated at 680 microfarad 35V. I went to Radio Shack and found that they didn't carry that exact part. Instead, I purchased two 1000 microfarad 35V capacitors for about $1.85 each. Removing the bad ones and soldering these in place took about 10 minutes and completely solved the problem.

Removing the circuit board from the refrigerator is easy: 4 screws and two plastic spring clips, then unplug four cables. Even if you haven't soldered before and have to purchase a soldering pen and some solder, the entire fix would cost less than $20. Driving to Radio Shack was the biggest time requirement.

Good luck!

maytagstinks Sep 19, 2011

I also have a Maytag H20 refrigerator that I purchased in July 2006. I had to have the board in the front by the water/ice dispenser replaced the first year. Last week the ice maker stopped working. I called Whirlpool and scheduled a repairman to come look at the refrigerator. I was informed by the service tech that the ice maker was unrepairable due to a shorted out wire in the harness. I believe it is an area that is unaccessible. I called Whirlpool and they were very rude and just keep saying that it wasn't under warranty and they couldn't do anything about the issue. Needless to say I was very upset because I had paid $2500 for the refrigerator and purchased it due to their superior reputation and reliablity. I called another number in Tennessee and talked to a nice woman who listened to my complaint and said she would address the issue with the review board and they would decide if they could do sometime for me, ex. proate the refrigerator price. I am waiting to hear from them...24 to 48 hours wait time. At least they were much nicer in the Tennessee office. I do not expect much from them. I will never buy another Maytag/Whirlpool product again. It is no wonder that foreign products are taking over the America market. The economy is awful and people do not have the money to replace a large ticket item. After reading the posts I am now worried that the unit will stop working all together in the near future...where will I find the money to replace my refrigerator? Maytag/Whirlpool needs to stand by there products and replace/fixed all these problems. I just wanted to fix the ice maker...who ever heard of a problem that can not be fixed. How is that even possible...I hope someone has an answer because it makes no sense to me.

• Ka
    Kawdogs Aug 07, 2011

Me too. Went out Friday right as out of town guests arrived. Called Maytag and the woman acted like this was a new problem. Told her I did an internet search and this problem is allover the internet as known problem and asked to speak to someone else who may know about the problem. After 15 minutes on hold she told me she would do a "one time only favor" and have the part sent out next week and a repairman was scheduled for two weeks out. The good news is a part and repair is scheduled. The bad news is I have a house full of visitors and no refrigerator.

• Ky
    KYLEHANSEN Jul 28, 2011

i AM HAVING THE SAME TROUBLE 14 MONTHS OUT AFTER PURCHASE.. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYONE AT MAYTAG (WROOLPOOL) THEY DIRECT YOU TO A REPAIR COMPANY.. AND REFUSE TO HELP YOU AT ALL.. NOW AFTER HAVING A REPAIR MAN .. SAYS I NEED A TINY PART IN THE DOOR.. OF THE FREEZER.. SINCE 2009.. YOU NOW CAN'T GET ANY PARTS.. YOU MUST REPLACE THE WHOLE DOOR $750.00 PLUS SHIPPING. A TEN CENT PIECE OF FAULTY PLASTIC.. WHAT A RIP OFF.. WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN..

• Jj
    jjbikertrash Jul 24, 2011

Purchased my ice2o in '06, worked pretty good til 22nd of July '11. Pretty much same problems as the rest of y'all, ice door opening and closing uncontrollably, display on front panel flashing, so on and so on. Spent a lot of money on this unit, first fridge that I have purchased new. Had a no-name fridge prior to this one for 13 years and was still working fine when I got rid of it, my mistake. Anyway, local appliance parts store had the control board in-stock, 205 bucks. It is simple to replace. It's a shame that maytag went for the lowest bidder on components!

• Pa
    PaulCutty Jul 11, 2011

Same problem here with blinking lights, no water, and ice server spinning. Unplugged the wiring, fridge starting cooling. Fridge is 5 years old. $2400. Next fridge will be a $800 throw away - not a Maytag either.

• He
    Henk S Jun 21, 2011

Add us to the list of those who got flashing panel lights and flapping ice flap. Thanks to the excellent guide by sd (http://www.liny.net/MaytagIce2O.htm) referenced from Appliance Guru (http://applianceguru.com/view_topic.php?id=13035&forum_id=1&jump_to=75815) a trip to Radio Shack, $3.58, and a few minutes with the soldering iron looks to have fixed the problem

• Cc
    ccle Jun 08, 2011

My Maytag French Door is five years old. All of a sudden the lights started flashing and door flapping. Fortunately we have extended warranty and also the fridge is still cooling.
    Don't even talk about class action suit. Only attorneys make anything off of them.
    We got about $35.00 from an airline class action and $0.00 from Synthroid suit after all of the paperwork it was a waste of time.