Complaints & Reviews

employee complaint-guest relations

On march 11, 2009 I attempted to stay at your residence inn marriott in white plains, westchester county, and...

appointment for the post of front manager from uk

Dear sir, I would like to know that last week I recd. An e-mail from id [protected]@yahoo.co. Uk & the...

cancellation policy

I booked a one night stay through Marriott.com (not Expedia or Travelocity), and a week in advance of our arrival tried to cancel the reservation. I have learned that Marriott will not cancel online reservations any later than one day after the reservation is made. I spoke with reservation persons at both the Bethesda property and the national chain, and was told repeatedly that nothing could be done.

This is the weirdest cancellation policy I've ever encountered in all my years of business travel (here and abroad). I will not be choosing Marriott in the future for my travel needs.

• Kr
    krispix318 Mar 29, 2009

I work for a Marriott franchisee. Cancellation polices are spelled out very clearly when a reservation is made and in the confirmation e-mail you receive (especially if you qualify for a special rate). Go back and read that e-mail and I guarantee you'll find whatever policy prevented them from canceling your reservation.

• Mo
    Moochie Apr 20, 2009

That's why you have to read the cancellation policies. I read one policy of a hotel before booking online, and it said that you have to cancel a month ahead of time! So you HAVE to read.

job employment and offer

This is the letter from the scam too ! They replied me after my quiry in sponsorship for work permit in UK !...

general manager

The general manager at the Fairfield Inn, Beckley West Virginia, conduct for hiring and firing people i...

misleading customers

At the time of our timeshare purchase at marriott horizons your salesman, kenneth harrop, misled us as to the...

2 comments Sag Harbor Hotels

marriott hotel wont offer advertised rates

I am staying in the San Francisco Marriott next week - mid-September for a conference I am attending. The conference literature posted a rate of $235 for a single room, available on a first come first serve basis. I called and made reservations in JUNE. I spoke with the hotel reservations, gave them the society name and quoted them the rate. They booked the room for me and gave me a confirmation number. I called this week to change the confirmation and I was told that I never booked it at the show rate and their current rates are $329! I said I had booked it at the lower rate and I booked it months ago. NO ONE would help me. I finally spoke to a Marriott customer service rep who, after putting me on hold for a while, said that since I did not call the CORRECT phone number to book the room, I had not been given the lower rate, and I WOULD not be given the lower rate of $235. The representative said I called the hotel directly and because of this he said he was sorry, but he could not change the rate. I asked if I was speaking with a MARRIOTT representative and he said yes, but reitterrated that since I called the hotel directly to book the room, they would not give me a lower rate. No one explained this to me and no one told me that the hotel would not offer me the advertised rate. Does this make sense to anyone? Its a rate the hotel was offering, but since I called the hotel directly instead of a third party I cant get the rate. And now since the hotel is full for the week, and all the rooms at the "special rate" are full, they wont help me at all. I think this is horrible customer service. I could understand if I had called to make the reservations and all the rooms were booked, but I called in June and the representative that I spoke to did not say I was not getting the lower rate or that she could not provide it to me.

SamanthaBee Apr 11, 2011

No matter what hotel you go to, Hilton, Comfort Inn, or even the Sharadon when there is a room block there are so many rooms open at a discounted rate. Once that room block is sold out, its to late, you missed it.
    I have a confrence in July at a sharadon and silly me called to two weeks after registration was open, to book my room. Of course I had missed it and now have to pay full price, so really missing out on a limmited offer. Whos fault is that? REALLY?

stay away

I have a very important comment! The whole reason and purpose that I created an account on you tube i...

representable customer service

In regards to our arrival experience at the Sawgrass Marriott, we felt there was not enough information given...

beware

Our employee booked a room for a federal conference with Marriott Tucson University Park. When he arrived he was told that the government rate was only available to federal government employees and the military; we are a county government employer. I called the Tucson Marriott office tried to talk to them about this matter offering to fax them confirmation of his government employment immediately. The clerk maintained that he was not a federal employee and therefore not eligible. Realizing that this was going to go nowhere fast I decided to deal with the problem through Marriott's customer care and had every expectation that the complaint would be resolved to our satisfaction.

I wrote to customer care detailing my problem and received a scathing email back for the Tucson property telling me that my employee is responsible for federal and military personnel not being able to stay at Marriott. This is the email:

I received your comments from Marriott Customer Care regarding Government rates at the Marriott University Park Hotel, Tucson, Arizona. We do offer, as do all Marriott hotels, based on availability, a Federal Per Diem Government Rate. Reservations can be made either on line or through our 800# reservations centres. When the reservations are made it is very clear, both on line and verbally, that to qualify for the Federal Rate you must be employed by the Federal Government and provide Federal ID at the time of check-in. If an individual makes a reservation under the Federal Per Diem Program and is not employed by the Federal Government they would not receive the Federal rate at the time of check-in, as they are not employed by the Federal Government. Unauthorized reservations keep’s authorized Federal Employees from staying with us, in particular our men and women serving in our Armed Forces. I fail to understand why someone not employed by the Federal Government should get that rate. If they for some reason assumed that other rate categories/programs applied, such as State, City and County, they were incorrect. Each entity must stand on its own merit and they are not part of the Federal or Marriott program. The guidelines are quite clear as to who qualifies for the Federal Government and Marriott Hotels Per Diem Rate Program.

We certainly appreciate you and your associates staying at Marriott Hotels and look forward to being of service in the future.

I emailed back and suggested that he read Marriot's own policy about government rates which showed that local and county government are eligible, not just federal government, I inserted a link to the policy. I again received a response with the offer that he would send me the list of who was eligible (I found during all of this that government employers can be pre-approved and I am assuming this is in response to this type of problem. I am copying his email response to this form.

I just reviewed the list I have as to who qualifies for the Federal Government Per Diem Program. I do not see anywhere on the list the blanked out Authority. If you would share that with me I would be happy to assist. I could also fax to you the list of qualification guidelines and the various Federal government agencies that do qualify. Thank you

After some email sparring I finally copy/pasted the string of obnoxious email to customer care and asked that they please deal with the problem themselves.

I found that Customer Care would not even entertain another side to this story and here is their initial email:

We have reviewed Mr. Thompson's reservation and the hotel's response, and we concur with the hotel's decision. The Federal Government rate requires proper identification to be presented at check-in and since the appropriate identification was not presented the hotel adjusted the rate and the rate change will remain. We regret any disappointment this may cause.

For your convenience I have noted the following government travellers are eligible for the Federal Government rate:

- Civilian federal government employees

- Active military personnel

- Federally Funded Research & Development Corporations (FFRDC)

- Canadian government and military

Valid forms of identification for the Federal per diem include the following:

- Federal Government-issued credit card

- Federal Government picture identification card (�CAC� card)

- Military picture identification card

- Travel Orders

- FFRDC identification card (picture or non-picture)

If we can be of further assistance, we invite you to reply to this message

I responded again with a link to their own policy and received the following:

Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate your feedback regarding this matter.

As previously stated in order to be eligible for government discount rates, guests must be an active duty member of the military or current employee, of any level of local, county, state, or federal government within the United States. Supporting credentials will be required at the time that the guest checks in to the hotel.

Unfortunately, none of the proper credentials listed on the website could be provided by Mr. Thompson. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

This is a huge departure from their prior email where they listed only federal and military employees and since Mr. Thompson was told he couldn't use his ID he didn't get a chance to.

But suddenly having admitted that the rate is available to all government employees at any level from local through federal. They have gone back to blaming the problem on the fact that our employee could not produce proof. We tried to do just that not understanding that what we could supply would never been enough because of the misunderstanding of their policies.

Having revisited the website this particular hotel has now changed their website to include that only federal government employees are eligible. Several of our staff members saw the website before this change was made.

I have been a Marriott gold member for some time and suggested that my employees use Marriott, none of us ever will again. I am amazed that they are willing to lose customers over something so petty that in fact was because of their own ignorance. I received an email from posting this complaint on another forum:

I read your recent comments to Marriott customer Care regarding the website for Marriott Tucson and the Federal rate program. This website has been standard for Marriott Hotels through out the United States. The hotel cannot change the criteria on the Web and I assure you the guidelines and words have not been changed, this is standard for all Marriott’s. The Federal Program instituted by Marriott Corporation follows the Guidelines and criteria set by the Federal Government. We appreciate your staying with us and look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Joe Armbrust

General Manager

Marriott University Park Hotel

Tucson, AZ

This guy should do himself a favour and just admit what they did because this is not finished yet. Marriott owes us money and since it is taxpayer’s money we would like reimbursement.

misrepresentation

Last summer I purchased two silver weeks at Marbella Beach Club. I have owned Marriott time shares for years and have loved them. We purchased these because the sales rep told us and everyone else in the sales office that these weeks could be traded to gold weeks and rented for big money. WELL... you can only trade thru Interval and INterval does not allow rentals so this was a LIE. I would like to find the right place to voice my complaint and I am looking for others who had this same sales pitch to participate in a case, if I can find the right place to go with this.

credit card customer service!

We had a major issue with a card that was applied for last year and never received. The only bill or mailing that I ever received was one year later when a bill was sent for an annual fee. This bill was for a card that I had never received. I called and they refused to take the charge off even though the card had never been used. I asked if I would still receive my 20, 000 points and free night if I paid the fee, she did say that a credit would be issued for the free night with marriott rewards. I called them today and it had not been done. Also, they have now issued a late fee which they refuse to remove. Very poor customer service.

marriott cancellation policy the worst!

Marriott's cancellation policy is the worst in the industry. They charged me the full length of a stay...

we were robbed!

My brother and I were staying at the Longbeach Marriott few weekends ago and someone broke into our hotel room and stole our belongings... The hotel is not taking responsibility! The GM had the nerve to tell me that it could have been one of us...that took the stuff!! Can you believe it! Do not stay at the Marriott hotels, they don't care about your safety! They don't care about anything except making money!

I thought staying at a reputable hotel meant that we were going to be taken care of, but I was wrong. I am so highly disappointed with the service we received from the Marriott hotel, I will never stay in another and will be sure to tell everyone I know what happened to us...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices