MagicJackunauthorized billing

P

I am writing to tell my experience with Magic Jack. Before I purchased one, I checked it out and found they did not have a local prefix for my area. They did tell me that in early 2009 they would be adding local numbers, so I was going to wait, because I thought people would get charged if they called me from my hometown. However, when I went to their website, it clearly stated that as long as someone lives in my area code, that incoming calls would be free for them. I also talked to their customer care chat and was told the same thing, except they actually said anywhere from the US or Canada. For this reason I went ahead and bought one and tried it for a week and it seemed to work fine, so I dropped my old phone service. However, after a month and a week, my brother called me and told me he had been charged for long distance for calling me. I then contacted Magic Jack's customer care and at first was told the same thing again, but when I informed them of what my brother had said, they changed and said, 'Well, it depends on the prefix' This is when I began getting very suspicious. I asked for contact information and was told they could not give that information out. The only way to talk to these people is through online chat and you can not file complaints and can not actually get any information about their corporate offices. One of their customer reps actually gave me an email address claiming it was for their corporate offices, which the email addy looked very strange for somebody in upper management, so I asked directly if this was really for their offices and was told yes. However, when I wrote them I got a response and it was from their billing office. They simply lied!!

Now, I wanted to give information to anyone that has experienced problems with Magic Jack and can't file a complaint. I have talked to my state's department of consumer affairs and they gave me several agencies to file a complaint, which I have done. I recommend all of you to contact the Federal Trade Commission, The FCC, and your state's attorney general's office on this matter. This device is a good idea and mine does work, but it is a problem when someone calls me from 100 yards down the road and has to pay, all because I was not aware of this and was basically lied to so I would go ahead and purchase this device. I have been told lies on 4 occassions by them. This needs to stop and they need to be forced to provide information to people that do have problems and start telling the truth about their product if people ask. I do ask, PLEASE, if you have had a problem, to contact the agencies listed above. This is the only way to make them change the way they do business.

Annlaurence Feb 13, 2012

I lost my old card, I'm using my new card visa and master card. But how comes that it's not working. I just want to pay my billing . My magic jack number is [protected]

• Dj
    DJ3 Feb 24, 2010

They turned mine off for no reason except their rep.s Destiny and Loren said it was the mistake was made in THEIR billing dept and swore it would be back on in 24 hours. Well it never happened. Plus they said they would send an e-mail and they never did that either. Worst of all they refused to give me a phone contact or the billing department. They indicated I was powerless, and this is all their mistakes, not mine. They turned it off in 4 months. Yes they are a scam, they need more than be reported, they need to be sued royally

• Is
    istandalone Dec 11, 2009

sounds like the electric companies here in texas!! lol They advertise it as 12.95 a year too. I'm glad I read this before I got to their web site. Why they still in business I wonder?

• lonely bus driver Nov 11, 2009

Contact your credit card company I file a dispute with them, That might work for you.

• Dw
    DWDouglas Nov 11, 2009

I ordered Magic Jack -- It works okay but I was billed an additional 39.90 for an additional years service on two lines. I did not sign up for this nor did I know it until I questioned my bill. At that time I was told it was too late to get a credit because the 30 day free period had passed. I also found out you had to insert a code to get credit for the extra year. Interesting and convenient since I would have never known that I had paid for 2nd year if I had not complained. I also only got the codes with the explanation of how to use them after I complained. Seems odd I would have bought an extra year before the trial period would have expired. In fact amazingly I bought the extra year before I ever even got the jack. I now have spent over an hour texting four differenct customer service representatives and have been promised an e-mail from the billing office. Another interesting point is that I never received an invoice until I contacted customer service. Of course the invoice showed that I had ordered the extra year for both jacks. Hmm Does anyone smell a class action lawsuit here. My guess is that the average american doesn't even realize they got scammed or gives up once they are reminded of the 30 day policy. I should have stayed with vonage

• Be
    Bertolius Oct 10, 2009

Well after getting magic jack they have a billing system that we go though. Everyone is told that there is one price that you receive. I paid my bill in full 106.85 39.95 For the magic jack 59.95 For the 5 year service and 6.95 For the tax. I got the credit card bill on 01/07/2009 I should have been paid in full. However I got another bill for 46.90 On February 02/06/2009 I did make any other system up grades or order more service. When I contacted magic jack I was told that I did not pay the full bill! Yes I did pay the full bill my credit card company receipt said so! I called magic jack all they do is give me the run around! I never got my refund! Then I looked at rip off. Com and a few people wrote that they had the same experience with magic jack ! Check it out tell the people don t buy magic jack there is some fraud going on there!!!

• Em
    Emmanuel Jul 11, 2009

The phone service is choppy and most calls have to be dialed twice. I kept it for 6 months doing all the upgrades and whatever the person I chatted to told me to do. Still was terrible voice connections. I had purchased the platinum preferred plan-$59.95 extra charge-and that is all I am asking them to return. On january 5, 2009 I called to cancel and get my refund back on my credit card. Since I had not activated the 5 years-they would be able to do this. Well, it is 2/25/09 and 5 chats later, no credit. I have the RMA ID# and luckily I save purchases in e-mail. very convenient to copy and past info from. I will not give up-they promised me it was posted to my card yesterday. Not Yet!!! This is a really bad scam and I am sick of it

James Apr 06, 2009

How is Magic Jack supposed to know whether someone is going to be billed to call you? in the US, you don't pay to answer calls, you pay to make calls. it is up to the caller to determine whether or not they are charged by their provider.

How can you expect MagicJack to know whether someone else's long distance provider is going to charge them to make a call... sounds to me like you should have gotten them a magic jack also...

• Fr
    framptn1972 Mar 23, 2009

the same here, we got charged 2 days after ordering a MJ but somehow they sent 2 in package and wife wanted one.. Here's the kicker, we got charged 39.95 plus ship/hand =$46.20 and then a month later another 39.95. The 30 day trial got billed in 30 days but the other MJ was billed instantly, bait and switch

Pissed in Tennessee

• Fi
    Filip Mar 17, 2009

I ordered the Magic Jack VoIP today. I was to understand I was to receive a 30 day trial. I made my purchase with my Bank of America Credit Card as instructed by the site. I was told that after 30 days if satisfied I would be charged $46.90. I agreed to these terms. Only to find out 3 hours later my credit card had been charged the full amount; not pending, a full charge.

I attempted to call several time only to find an automated system to nowhere. As for the online chat support, I felt as if I was talking to a child. I explained the problem and was told they could not remove the charge as of yet. The product must now be sent and returned if still dissatisfied.

In my experience with Magic Jack, although not yet receiving the produce, I would never do business again.