Resolved MagicJackfraud and scam

Magic jack is a scam i would not recommend this product i would not put anyone through this *** *** junk and having that little girl lie for them on site shame on you magic ***. They need a law suit on them and especially no phone number for customer support they must not like it either for them to have magic jack and not have phone for c/s whats up with that and there chat clients are not good also they must of just started to school on customer service and still in kindergarten, magic jack you need to be put out of business and a big law suit.

ANNA Jul 18, 2008

This is the company info. However, I doubt they will help you. Basically, the company is open to ROB customer's account.
    My advice file your complaint to BBB.org plus write to all the news companies that endorsed this magic jackass (CBS NEWS, CNBC NEWS, CNET, PC MAGAZINE).

Debbie Aug 16, 2008

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

I received m magic jack and plugged it in.
    It worked BUT I was getting a RADIO station instead of a dial tone!
    Eventually (after upgrading the software) I got a dial tone AND the radio station.

They have the WORST customer service ever.
    They are CHAT only.
    You can’t talk to a person and they are obviously chatting with multiple people at the same time.
    I kept asking ‘is it defective?’ and they would not reply.
    Finally, after trying the piece of junk on THREE different PCS – and wasting THREE hours of my time, I was the one who had to insist that it was defective.
    They agreed to send me a new one and warned me that i would be charged again IF I did not return the old one (at MY EXPENSE) within 2 weeks.

Well I never got the email with return info so I got back on to chat with another rep.

Utterly useless!!!
    Apparently they tried to charge my card another 40 – and I had used a shopsafe number with a dollar limit to prevent fraud.

SO they didn’t send me info on how to return the defective device because their charge for the new one (that was not supposed to be charged) failed.

The rep (who was a supervisor) was not fluent in English and the encounter was so horrible that I told him to cancel my order and that I will return the product.

I suppose that you get what you pay for.
    It would be nice to get phone service for 20 per year --- but that comes with no support and a product with SERIOUS problems.

Caveat Emptor!!!

• Ke
    Kevin Aug 18, 2008

I had the same troubles I call B.B.B. and got results call 561-216-1464 customer service for Magic Jack .Hope this helps!!!

• Ow
    Owen Dussard Aug 27, 2008

UNABLE TO RECEIVE INCOMING CALLS!!!

• Valerie Aug 30, 2008

Lets start off by saying Please save yourself the head ache DON'T BUY this product. The entire infomercial looks and sounds great but they don't tell you upfront is that its really not a 30 day trial but rather a 15 day trial cause after 15 days they charge your credit card like they did mine.

They don't tell you that if you ever have a problem you WILL NEVER speak to a live representative, cause the company does not have a telephone.

They don't tell you that they are going to redistribute your personal information to other customers in their database like they did mine

They don't tell you that if you wish to send your product back it will take them 45 days to issue you a refund.

They don't tell you up front that in order to have 24/7 phone access your computer can not go into hibernation or be shut off, imagine if you have an emergency at night time when your computer is usually off and don't have access to a phone, ? or if you have a burglar and need to contact the police?

When you do call 911 they don't tell you that your actually speaking with a internet computer and not that of your local police department which by the way you have to be sure you give them all kinds of information Home address, name, phone #, etc) before they even dispatch anyone out to your home.(I don't know about you guys but I have small children, who are to young to memorize this information, and trust them to know that in a hectic situation/emergency they are going to be able to assist this internet operator to get some help in time? I mean what if something ever happened to mommy or daddy and they needed the police but didn't know the information because their to young 5, yrs old?

They don't tell you that you can not make any phone calls that require you to input #s such as if you call your bank and have to input your ss# good luck because every number you press is multiplied by 2 try inputing your account # ssi# or anything that is requiring verification data of you, sorry you can't so if the company your calling does not have a customer service rep wgile peek hours your out of luck.

They don't tell you that you have to dial your area code to make phone calls within your own city, so to call your next door neighbor you must first dial your area code.

They don't tell you that you can not be on your computer doing work because every time someone in your house picks up the phone or a call comes in a box pops up which you have to minimize, and yes you have to minimize it for every call going out or coming in, trust me its a pain especially when your spouse work is done primarily on the pc, try writing a word, power point, excel, while every 10 seconds you have a box popping up on your working screen, now you can take care of this problem by simply unplugging your phone, thus eliminating anyone in the home using the phone, or receiving calls, but hey at least you get your work done without any annoying boxes interrupting you.

They don't tell you that once you connect the magic jack to your computer, your going to be using up your systems resources, & have to update all your pc's direct x functions, so if your not a computer garu your in trouble, or you can just call their tech support and speak with someone who can walk you through the process... oh no wait sorry they have no live person you can talk to if you need any customer assistance or tech support you have to go online and chat with them. by the way good luck getting someone to log in to the chat area to assist you, lets just say that if its less then 2 minutes your one of the lucky ones.

I don't know about you folks but I wish someone would of told me all this before I spent my time and money buying this product cause now the end result is that I have no product as i sent them back and I have no money cause they have yet to date to issue a refund, and I cant speak with no one cause oh yeah there's no phone # to call the company, corporate or either wise. In closing i hope i was able to save someone the ordeal and head aches I have gone through with this company, I just hope I get my money back, I'll keep trying its now been 18 days and counting since I spoke, sorry chatted with a customer service rep. If you do purchase this product I wish you all the luck, but I'm sure I will be reading more posts about this great $20 a year phone service, I guess its true what my dad always told me if something sounds to good to be true 9 out of 10 times it usually is.-Iaz Family, Las Vegas Nv Good luck!

Joe from Mississippi Sep 11, 2008

I have Vonage and it has a lot of good features. Pretty reasonable to. Because of my wife and kids having cell phones we rarely use the home phone. I was looking for something even cheaper than Vonage. I have seen the MagicJack commercial numerous times and was going to give it a try. Steve, like any new product you will have complaints. I read several, but was still interested in purchasing. But after reading ALL that you have been through, I wouldn't touch this product if the gave it to me with free service. I thank you for this post and you have by far been through more than any other consumer being scammed by TragicJack. Guess I will be sticking with Vonage a little longer.

• Valerie Sep 15, 2008

We have had magicJack since Dec. '07. A lot of problems! Until June '08 we were unable to make calls to Europe, to date calls to Holland (country code 036) still do not go through! Local calls have very poor audio quality, are chopped up and almost impossible to understand.

The promise of a live person to contact is a lie! You get switched from one page to another both without a possibility to actually contact a LIVE PERSON. Don't buy the cussed thing, it's not worth $ 5.-, let alone $ 50.-!!!

Especially do not give up all other phone service because magicJack will not deliver!!!

Derek Sep 19, 2008

Everything you have said deals with hypothetical situations and personal preferences. Don't bash this product because you are picky and pompous. The product works amazing, the audio quality is amazing... YOU CAN minimize the box to tray and the only thing that pops up is the caller ID, here is a crazy idea... its 2008 get a network and dont install it on your primary PC if the caller ID distracts you that much... and really if a pop up bothers you to the point to deny savings of hundreds of dollars a year you need to seek help.

20 bones a year, clear communication, a solid product. Everything works great, I called my banks automated teller just to test your theory and maybe you suck at pressing numbers but I entered my SS, account # and security code from the phone with no problems.

If you don't want to use the product, that is fine stick with your 30 bones a month for VOIP, but I will be paying 20 a year for everything you have. Oh and they do have live support on the webpage.

I'm guessing you are a liberal, because almost nothing you said was true.

• Rj
    RJ Sep 21, 2008

The first Magic Jack did not arrive. After 2-1 hour chats, they sent a second one which arrived. It worked for about 2 days until they forced an upgrade. It no longer works. I used chat support for 2 hours and 5 minutes to try everything to get it to work. They will send me another one for another $47. I don't think I will waste my money.

The only thing worse than the actual MagicJack is the the MagicJack Chat support.

Although I only received it on September 15, I have to return it by October 5. This does not sound like a 30 day guarantee to me.

Do not buy a Magic Jack.

• Valerie Sep 24, 2008

Customer agent doesn't know how to handle questions. Their answers are scripted and won't address the issue being asked. Very poor customer support and cut off the chat talk when you try to file a complaint. I asked where could I buy the phone equipment (handset) and they tell you that it is included in the magicjack device. They don't know what a magicjack device versus an actual phone set. I asked how much do I have to pay for a 5 year plan and they will tell you to go to the website and click the extend license. But the price in their website is higher that what they're telling me during the chat talk.

• Valerie Sep 26, 2008

Just to let you know, if you use the free trial for magic jack, and use a debit card, they will charge you right away! I didn't even authorize them to charge my debit card and they did anyways. I am now dealing with live help, and they say i have to contact them in 2-3 hours b4 they can help me. Also i had no money in that account so now I'm gonna be charged a overdraft fee. It also takes up to 3 days for them to refund my debit card, but by then i will have already endured a overdraft fee.

• Ca
    carolyn mclendon Sep 26, 2008

I sent the magic jack back, you received it on sept. 6. Ihaven't gotten my refund yet.

• Wa
    wally johnson Oct 01, 2008

I too was bamboozled. Free trial of which I never used, was not a free trial a $39.95 venture has now cost me $135, 20 and cannot get a refund check. Upon them taking more than they should have out of my account, I closed the card out so they couldn't do it again. And now they want me to give them another card so that they can refund?? Hellloooo I was dumb the first time but cannot honestly feel that they want my new account # so they can take more money out... BE WARE ALL !!! Next stop CNN News.

• Valerie Oct 02, 2008

I have had the magicjack since March of 2008. I loved it. The calls were clear and reliable. I enjoyed my service for almost six months when suddenly there was no dial tone on my phone. I checked the software and I was able to dial and make calls using the microphone and speakers on my PC, but not using a phone extension. I mean, isn't that the point of the MagicJACK? That it is supposed to be a jack so you can dial from a phone.

Thinking that I could report the problem, I got online with their live chat. Chad (the live chat rep), took me through almost an hour and a half of "try this", and "Now try this". I did everything he asked and it still did not fix the problem. At about one hour and twenty minutes, I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was then transferred (via chat) to Mylene (who claimed to be a supervisor). She began to diagnose all over again. I stopped her and said that I had been through all of this and that I just wanted my 20.00 product replaced. I told her that there clearly was a problem and that they should stand behind their product and replace it. She flat out told me that she WILL not replace until they can diagnose the problem. She then began to give me more "Try this". I told her that I had no intention of allowing her to waste more of my time. I told her that I would file a complaint about their poor customer care and give she and Chad a low review. She told me to go right ahead. This is exactly the kind of crap that has been allowed during the "Bush" administration. Legalized rip offs. DO NOT FALL FOR MAGICJACK! You will be disappointed sooner or later.

• Si
    Sistahgyrl Oct 06, 2008

I absolutely agree. I received a defective one and they said they were gonna charge my account until i send the defective one back and i did and i never received my refund. They dont have a live number and chat support is bad.

• Si
    Sistahgyrl Oct 06, 2008

Does anyone have the actual phone number to magic jack?

• Ti
    Tina Polsinelli Oct 06, 2008

I was sent the Magic Jack product that i did not order by mail when i hadd new internet service to my frontier phone account. I was immediately charged from my checking account 93.80 on 09/18/2008 and then 43.85 the same day with a total of 137.65. This was to be a free trial service as advertised on there website and no charges until after 30 days. This is false advertisement and verry much a scam. i never opened the packaged and was charged from my account. when i tried to contact this company i was given a number that was disconnected from the operator. No way to contact them only by computer. Please do what ever it neede to investigate this "magic Jack" company and find outwhat the deal is here. Thank You for any help you ccan provide to me. Ms. Polsinelli 928-565-2520

• Valerie Oct 07, 2008

I purchased magicjack and well within the 30 day return period, I decided to return the unit but couldn't get an RWA. I was finally told that there was no record of my purchase within the 30 day return period. I have proof of purchase in the form of bank visa statement showing the payment. There is no way to communicate with magicjack to contest this gross error! The customer service link is virtually hidden. Once in the Customer service site and your request is made, there is no way to contest magicjack's position! This must be a scam if there is no way to air complaints.

• Fo
    Former ICG Oct 11, 2008

you guys should file the lawsuit ..f***king I can't get the phone number to call them too.
    I'm in Canada. So it different for me to handle the situation

• Ke
    Ken Oct 17, 2008

I use magic jack. It is a supereb product. If you were able to hear the truth, you would find that there is a simple "understanding of Technology" problem. There are ALWAYS small problems with new technology, sometimes big ones. I understand them because I am in the field of communications. The product works. The technicians do possess a language barrier which makes find your resolution more difficult. If you have financial troubles with this company, I would urge you to go after them with all your effort as this is unacceptable. But you must get your facts right BEFORE you jump on them. The product works, talk to them and tell them why yours does not and they will get it right (ALONG WITH THE OTHER 500 SIMILAR PROBLEMS), which will then satisfy more of you. P.S. I DO NOT WORK FOR, NOR AM I IN ANY WAY AFFILIATED WITH MAGIC JACK!

Dee Oct 28, 2008

I purchase a majic Jack from a commerial on T.V. everything sounded very good and the price was execellent and also the 30day trial just blew me away.

When I receive the product in the mail I installed it very easy to my computer and it worked, but with bad reception and it slowed my computer down.

also they billed my account within 15 days with a c harge that wasn't correct stated to me.

also within another 15 days they billed my account again, , that's over a $150.00

they tried again the 3rd time so I changed my ac count information and they was unsucessful on the 3rd attempt.

this company is a scram and I advice anyone not to purchase this product because they take money out your account within giving you an invoice in the mail or anything.

There were never an invoice sent with the product stating exactly how much you were being charged, , so they take what they want out your account.

This company is an rip off, , so don't purchase the product, , all the complaint are correct.I had to change my account to keep them from taking more money.

• Ci
    Cindy Hendrix Oct 30, 2008

Hello, We are thinking about getting this magicjack, and I went on BBB and did some research, Here is a live Person you can talk with at the Corporate Head Quarters of MagicJack Peter Russo 1-561-722-0433, Address is 5700 Georgia Ave. West Palm Beach, Florida 33405

• Ci
    Cindy Hendrix Oct 30, 2008

I also called, Peter Russo and He was very nice and pleasant to talk with considering I called him at 8 in the morning. (Sorry), My husband is a VOIP engineer, and He said he was going to check this out, and I will cancel within a week so I won't get charged, just to play it safe. So I will be commenting again, after my hubby says yeah, or Ney.

• Ta
    Tauna Barbieri Nov 03, 2008

I think that MagicJack is completely misleading and I called them on it. In the FAQ they state that as long as you share the same area code as your family and friends, they will not be charged a long distance fee, but that is not true. You also have to share the same prefix (which makes sense, but they did not disclose this info). The only prefixes they have in my state are in the southern part and would be long distance for anyone to call me...including my kids schools, my work, etc. We returned the product the next day and it has now been 2 weeks and I have not seen the release of funds from my account. I did not authorize this hold, it doesn't make any sense if it is a free month trial period and for you do not have access to your money. I have chatted online with the agents several times and they keep telling me different stories. The first agent I talked to said they could release my funds immediately following the return of the product...that same day. When that didn't happen, I asked again. That second time they stated that it was policy that it takes 2 days to release the hold, and I asked her to show me the policy, but she could not. The third and a few times after, they told me that it takes 3 business days but it's been beyond that and I have yet to see my money. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and they said that I will have access to my funds within 3 days also, which is today. The money is still not there in my account and I guess I will report back to the BBB. Beware of this scam...they are not all that they are cracked up to be and they will do anything to hold on to your money!

• Bi
    bill apostol Nov 06, 2008

i have had exactly zero unresolvable problems with magic jack. i purchased 3 magicjacks and had a problem with one computer. i used their online live chat support and they resolved the problem. the total time to get it up and running including the support was less than 15 minutes.

my kids have their own phone lines and i have a spare. i have had no problems since may... 7 months.

bill

• Tt
    t.tull Nov 12, 2008

cant get phone device to work and cannot find a method to contact live person by telephone.

• Vl
    V. Lethco Nov 13, 2008

I ordered the magoc jack on november 2nd 2008. I paid extra money to have it delivered in 3 days> I have not yet to see it and it has been 11 days. I just went on the live chat on there web site and now they say they dont have my order. I didnt not re-order I will have to speak with my husband first about this. But my mother in law does work for and attorney firm and If they dare try to bill me there will be trouble!! How can a company have a website and comercails on tv if they are just going to scam people. That is not patrioic. Unless they are from another country and this is one of them scams that go around. I dont know we will have to see.

John Tennant Nov 13, 2008

I saw the TV add and ordered 2 units. I only received one(1) with no invoice or address in the USA I then discovered that my Credit card was hit for $233 The price advertised was $39 plus S.H and supposed to be a 30 day free trial. The Postage costs on the package was $1.37. as it was shipped locally in Hamilton Canada. That means they were charging over $180 for Shipping and handling ??? I suggest to ANYONE you do not deal with this company unless you have a recording of the total charge they are going to put on your credit card. Do Not give the Credit card number out till you get that charge first.

Janeth Nov 14, 2008

I used the magicj ack all the times, is great

• Sh
    shane Nov 16, 2008

i went immediately and checked this out and the truth is i got a live assistant, his name was bruce and he was indeed a human being and not some internet bot. so everyone who says magic jack has no live/human support is untrue, and most likely are to stupid to even place a call corectly.
    to stupid to take 5 minutes and read the damn instructions. i had no trouble at all and i never even seen a magic jack or its instructions. so to many ###s blaming and condeming companies and it is their own stupidity causeing their problems.

• Sc
    Scotty McB Nov 19, 2008

Magic jack is a great product, I will save over $2000.00 in 5 years by dumping my monoply phone company. You do need a fast internet service. This is one of the best investments I have ever made. Please ignore the previous comments, they apparently don't know how to use simple eletronics!

charmaine Nov 19, 2008

The phone number for magic jack billing is 281-404-1551

• St
    Steve Nov 19, 2008

My brother purchased the magic jack and the reception is really a coin toss. Sometimes the reception was ok, sometimes really bad, but never clear 100% of the time. Sometimes he would have to hang up and dial the call again to try and get better reception.

• Mi
    Michael Maher Nov 26, 2008

My experience over the past month using Magic Jack has been extraordinary including long distance and international calls to Latin America. Once I purchased the devise, I added $20 to my account and have made thousands of dollars of International calls. Unless I am missing something, everything has been perfect.

I take the Magic Jack with me everywhere and use it on my laptop to make calls everywhere.

I have even bought additional devises and given them to friends and family.

• Ka
    kathy Nov 26, 2008

the 1st comment is true..you know what S Brown(comment 2)..i think your from the company that's why your depending the magic jack...stupid...

• Pe
    pete Nov 27, 2008

I think the magic jack is great I am getting rid of my phone. I have been eseing it for three weeks without a hitch it took five minutes to install and works great I wonder if you guys are just idiots?

• Pa
    Paul Nov 29, 2008

Purchased the product in March 2008. Works as adverstised. It's not a seamless replacement for a landline, and I can't compare it to other VOIP products, but it works as adverstised and I have no plans to stop using it any time soon. It has saved me about $500 so far this year and I expect similar savings to continue indefinitely.

The only flaw I have found with this product that causes me any inconvenience is the necessity of dialing the area code for local calls most of the time. This seems like a big deal until you get used to it, and now that I am used to it, I wonder why I ever thought it was a big deal. I just think of all phone numbers as having ten digits now, and have no problems.

Make sure you follow the instructions, plug the device into the USB port on a computer and not a USB hub that doesn't have its own power. Make sure that your broadband connection has bandwidth, if you are using the same connection for heavy downloading then you will have VOIP issues no matter what VOIP product you use (such as Vonage, etc).

The sound quality is flawless, the voice mail and caller id work perfectly, and I am convinced that cheap VOIP is the future of the "house phone."

Ignore idiots who spam these review boards with negative tales and biazarre stories. Try it for yourself, it's only a few bucks and you can now buy it at Radio Shack. If it doesn't work you haven't lost much. If it does, you will save 100 times its cost in a couple of years time.

• Jl
    JL Nov 29, 2008

I would have to disagree with whoever is not happy with MJ. I truly love the item, I have been using it for the past 6 months and I don't have one complaint. They have an online chat customer service that at least tries to address your concerns or inform you of any issues in an amicable manner.
    If anybody has an issue with the item, it might just be that an issue with the item(get it replaced). I thought such deals were a thing of the past or just mistical stories but here I am saying "What a deal". yeeehhaaa!!!

• Jl
    JL Nov 29, 2008

On a second note " I love e yu, Magic Jack".

• Sc
    Scorpion Nov 30, 2008

I think it's pretty good. I have tried it on really slow 256K cable internet and it works pretty good. I've had mine since Feb or March 2008. I'm taking it to Australia in a month to try there. Hope it works. Only problem I have had is that I just recently changed my phone number. At first there were no area codes in Ky. Only close one was Virgina. Sometimes my phone won't ring. So I am still figuring that out. Could be my phone or where the person calling me is calling my old number or something. They do fail at customer service. U can't find a contact that I have found. I work in IT and it seems like this thing may use SIP. Simple whatever protocol. It is something like how skype and all that works. Just that the lil box converts a signal to send to the phone and ur usb power sends the ring. Something like that I guess. Anyway. Overall I really like the damn thing. I call Australia all the time and it beats the hell outta AT&T phone cards and even those cheap ### Mexicano ones too. El toro or wtf ever they are called. So the international rate for me is pretty good. I'm surprised it works so good on 256K cable internet. All the features like voice mail, 3-way and all that crap works kewl too. I've recommended it to other ppl. O well, there's my 2 fking cents. lol