LensCrafterslens pricing - transitions

Called around for pricing for my 9 year old's glasses. One place that took my insurance was Lenscrafters, where we already were customers for contacts. They quoted about $150 on a phone call and I was specific about what I wanted: 1.75 lenses with anti reflective, UV and Transitions. When I went in I was told that the quote was an error. Was I sure what I was quoted? I had my notes. They had a sale: buy frames, get lenses free. Of course, the lenses that were free didn't have anti-glare/anti reflective, and that would be an extra $45. We ran through both scenarios: using insurance (EyeMed) or using the special. All was pretty much OK, if a little high, until we got to the transitions option. These guys wanted $345 for Transitions!!! That is absolutely ridiculous. I had gotten my son a pair of glasses 2 years ago and I paid an $86 upcharge for Transitions. Bottom line was I'd have to pay $290 after the "special", which wasn't, and $256 with insurance. I then ran across a special in fine print where it stated they offer 50% off a total eyeglass package for kids glasses every day. I asked about it, she calculated it and said it would make it $274. The real price without discounts/specials or insurance would have been $522 according to them. Now, I have very, very bad eyesight, about 10.5 - 12.5 depending on how bright the optometrist is. Mine are very expensive, but never quite that high. I just wanted basic glasses w/Transitions. $345 for Transitions.

I looked around and found an article saying that Walmart's upcharge for Transitions is around $65, which makes more sense.

• Am
    Amykathryn636 Dec 11, 2009

I just wanted to let you know that 1.75 lenses are not basic lenses at all. Also, Walmart does not actually sell REAL transition lenses. They are an off brand that does not change nearly as well. It does not get as dark and it does not change as fast. As far as cost for a retailer, transition lenses cost like 25x more than the traditional lens. That clearly means it is NOT basic.

• Dm
    DMcLean Dec 22, 2009

I work for Transitions Optical and wanted to comment on Amy’s note above. Although some retailers, like LensCrafters, sell their own private brand of photochromic lenses as well as Transitions lenses, Wal-Mart is not one of those retailers. Wal-Mart only sells authentic Transitions lenses. When purchasing Transitions lenses from any retailer or independent eye care professional be sure you get Transitions lenses by asking for your lenses’ unique Certificate of Authenticity card. You can then visit www.transitions.com and register your new lenses. Please visit us online or contact us for additional information.

• Cr
    cricket29 Jul 28, 2012

Update: i now use a "boutique" eye doctor/office. This is a more expensive place to go, but the quality of service and materials are better. I recently bought glasses for both my son and myself. Upcharge for Transitions? $86.00. Authentic Transitions, of course. Three years later and upcharge for Transitions hasn't changed from $86.00 at other places, yet Lenscrafters still charges hundreds for Transitions.