LA Fitnessthey scammed me

An LA Fitness was opening near my workplace, so I decided to sign up and take advantage of early registration rates. I signed the paperwork and paid them an early registration fee.

The club did not open on time. It eventually opened, well over a year late. In that year, my company decided to move. Since I knew it was moving, but did not know where, and the club would no longer be convenient, I attempted to call to cancel my early registration.

I was told I would be able to cancel at any time with no penalty, so why not keep it in case my company moved near another branch? This seemed fair, so I stupidly kept it.

We moved. Not near an LA Fitness. And the last thing on my mind at the time was my fitness membership I had registered for *over a year ago*. Then several months later, I got a call. They were having trouble billing me.

What? Why is LA Fitness *billing me*. I never set foot inside an LA Fitness. My membership was never activated. Oh, they explained, after the club opens, they activate your membership and bill you, whether you've ever been to a club or not. If I want to cancel it, I'd have to write in and pay for what I'd already accrued. I refused. The phone guy told me he'd talk to his manager who would call me back. No one called me.

Several months later, it's now 2008. (I signed up in January 2006!) They call me. They're having trouble billing. I patiently explain what I already told them before. They tell me that I can cancel, but I'll have to pay a 30 day fee. I tell them no. The guy tells me my membership agreement requires me to. I ask to look at a copy and he says it is on the website. (If it is, it is hidden in their member’s only area. Which I don't have access to because I never signed up for any of this.) I call him back and get an answering machine.

A few minutes later another guy calls, this one from the specific branch I had joined. I explain the same thing. He gives me the number of the manager of Membership Services, Tim. Thanks. I call Tim. Tim explains that they *are* charging me already and that I did use the club in November. I have never been there. And the date he gave was when I was on the east coast. I check my credit card. [censored], somehow they found a way to charge me when they couldn't before, and I hadn't caught it.

I'm writing to their headquarters right now, but as it's currently looking, it seems that they will now have taken hundreds of dollars of my money. And I have still never even set foot inside an LA Fitness.

• To
    TorieV May 27, 2015

I honestly wish it were possible to give this gym a lower rated review. I signed up with the gym a few months ago and with signing up you receive a free personal training assessment. After the personal training assessment, I was pressured into signing up for additional sessions in order to better learn the machines. I asked multiple times if it would be able to cancel these sessions because I have had multiple knee surgeries and have chronic pain. I was told by the 2 "Master Trainers" that I signed with that I could cancel at anytime without a problem as long as I called in before the first of the month. Well, fast forward 3 months, and I'm calling in to cancel because I am in so much pain after these sessions that I have trouble walking for multiple days after. I'm told that the only way to get out of this contract is to pay $900 or obtain a note from a physician stating that I have a disability from the front desk associate. I called corporate customer service twice. The first time I was hung up on and the second time I spoke with a "supervisor" who was supposed to call me back. I never received a callback and called my local gym to get the hours that the Operations Manager would be in. I go in 3 times within this time frame and not only am I informed that the man who I signed up with is no longer with the company, I am also told each time that he is not at the facility, The only times this manager is there are Monday through Friday 9-5. Because I have a job, I had to take off from work to come to the facility 3 times. Even though I was lied to by the people selling me the personal training, I was still told the only way out of contract was to obtain a doctor's note. I did and took it to them. They said that they would scan it in and get it cancelled next day. I get a call later stating that they are unable to do this and I need to mail this cancellation to the corporate office. I have just now managed to get this training cancelled and it took going all the way up the ranks to their Regional VP. The absolute worst customer service that I've ever experienced.

• Ne
    Never sign a contract with LA Fitness Mar 17, 2011

NEVER sign up for personal training sessions at LA Fitness. LA fitness employees mis-represent the agreement, do not show you anything that you are signing, and when you call to inquire about charges to your account and ask that it is discontinued the company continues to charge your credit card until you agree to buy them out for the contract you were tricked into signing.

• Ri
    RickLaw Jan 03, 2011

Advertising Material

The law firm of Berger & Montague, P.C., located in Philadelphia PA, is currently prosecuting a class action suit against L.A. Fitness International LLC in federal court. The suit alleges that L.A. Fitness’ cancellation procedures for its monthly membership agreements are unfair and deceptive because members are charged additional monthly dues even after they have attempted to cancel their memberships. L.A. Fitness denies these allegations. We are currently gathering facts in support of these claims. If you have any information concerning L.A. Fitness’ cancellation procedures or practices, please contact Kim Walker toll free at [protected] or [protected], or by e-mail: [email protected] For more information about this case, visit our website www.bergermontague.com.

Berger & Montague, P.C., attorneys are licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, and some of our attorneys are licensed to practice in additional jurisdictions, including New York, Florida, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland, Washington, D.C., California and Connecticut. Our firm litigates cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States. On occasions where the firm practices in jurisdictions in which one of our attorneys is not licensed, we associate with that court on a "for that case only" basis and/or associate with locally licensed counsel.

Advertising Material

• 58
    583586 Nov 01, 2010

you're fat...you need to go to the gym...quit being lazy

• Ro
    RobertnAz Aug 19, 2010

Although I live in Arizona, we too have facilities that are six years old and less. One property is in complete shambles and mimics the conditions you outline. It is no wonder they (LA Fitness) don't post a corporate customer service address or number.

• Ri
    RickLaw Feb 04, 2010

Same thing happened to me.

• Ca
    CaptainFunTimes Dec 21, 2009

I sent the membership cancellation form as instructed via certified mail. LA Fitness claimed they never received it. So after ripping their butts and 3 phone numbers later I got membership cancelled over the phone. Here's the number to do so:
    [protected]. They make it very difficult so they can keep taking your money.

• Or
    Orkeeta Dec 01, 2009

I prepaid for 52 training sessions (they threw in a few extra 12 I think). Unfortunately I tore my shoulder and was unable to use the sessions for about six months. I looked at my bank account today and they had charged my account 160. When I called to find out why they told me it was to keep the account active. I am like what the f... I prepaid it. I have over 40 sessions left and why are you charging me. To make a long story short I am out the 160 and probably the orignal amount prepaid to.

• Fl
    flljimbo Nov 20, 2009

this facility, unlike others in the general area, is worn out, filthy and disgusting. it needs a complete update. the equipment is always out of order, tired, chipped, frayed, etc. they need to close this for a week and do a complete update.

in fairness to the managers, the members are slobs too (perhaps in part because of the sloppy condition of the place).

• Na
    NasL98 Sep 25, 2009

I joined the LA Fitness Club and they lured me to join the personal training program by humiliating and scaring me with my body shape and health...

Now they are charging me more while cancelling my membership.

• Sh
    Sheila M. Ross Jun 08, 2009

I complied to the letter with instructions in my contract for cancelling membership...but I did not send the letter by certified mail. After about two months, I began receiving collection calls from LA Fitness. They "never received" my letter and want to collect additional months' membership fees that I do not owe. I'm sending another letter...this time to the CEO, but I should not have to go through all of this hassle.

• La
    LA FITNESS IS A SCAM Dec 19, 2008

LA FITNESS HAS CHARGE ME AND I HAVE TRYED TO CANCLE MY ACCOUNT AND I HAVE HAD MONEY REMOVED FROM MY ACCOUNT EVEN AFTER I CALLED THE BANK ( B OF A ) AND ASK TO STOP THE PAYMENTS AND IF THERES A CLASS ACTION LAW SUTE THEN IM IN <<< >>> [email protected]