LA Fitness International Logo

LA Fitness International

Having problems with LA Fitness International?

PO Box 54170
Fri8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

jacuzzi is always out of order

I've been a member for two years now and every now then their jacuzzi is out of order. I have arthritis and lower back problems which is why I joined to the gym to begin with, they try fixing it and it goes out again. I was told they run the jacuzzi all day long. Which I feel is unnecessary, since they do close at night. Should someone be able to turn it off at and maybe it wouldn't break down as often.

• Ro
    Robbo123 Feb 22, 2010

Three of the pools in Portland, OR have broken heaters. It's rediculous. Three!!

locker room robbery

Beware of being robbed. My Locker was broken into in a matter of minutes after I went to the pool. The door...

unethical practice

LA Fitness - It's always overbooked and can not get the court time, can not get on the machines, and locker rooms are small. I had membership for several years and I wanted to freeze the membership to avoid paying the initiation fee, again. LA Fitness is charging me $25 per 3 months and if I unfreeze before three months is up. They will charge me to unfreeze the membership. So, I am cancelling my membership and I going to send email to all my friends to follow me and cancel the membership with LA fitness. One word to describe them, "thieves".

• Ju
    Just Sayin Feb 07, 2009

Depending on your monthly dues amount, it may or may not behoove you to freeze...for the most part, if you were to not be able to use the gym for 3 months, unless your dues are $8.33 per month, which is highly unlikely, you will save $.

You are not "charged" to unfreeze...by paying $25, you may be frozen UP TO 3 billing cycles. Should you decide to end the freeze and begin using the club prior to the freeze ending date, then that billing cycle would be pro-rated.

total scam

La Fitness is a sub-standard gym. They don't care about the customer and they make it difficult to cancel your membership even if you have frozen your account. They require you to send cancellation via certified mail and if you're lucky they may stop billing your account after 2 more months. Their desk staff is rude and ill-trained and they only pay their fitness instructors $12 a class. Typical corporate money-grubbing rip-off artists. Do yourself a favour and join a family owned and operated gym that actually cares about their staff and their clients.

• Ze
    zeme Jul 17, 2008

La fitness rob at broad day lite!!!
    The worst business practice in civil society.

• Bo
    bob Aug 02, 2008

man la fitnesss is a hoe.. so damn gay.. never get ur membership over there. i guartattee u they will steal ur money..

• Pr
    PR girl Aug 06, 2008

Hey.I got scamed as well.I'm trying to cancel my membership now for almost 6 months and they used my credit card without me knowing it, because I slided it once when I signed up. Don't ever DO THAT!
    I'm going to the media now, because i do have great contacts to the media.I'm working for a PR guy that discovered a huge scam in 1989 when the city of Los Angeles was manipulating the parking meters. The city ended up paying over 15 million dollars back! If we all stand up together we can make a change.
    If you like to be part of this story send me your email address and I will keep you up to date!

• Mi
    miles Apr 23, 2009

the cheat lie and steal. go to the better business bureau, it has heped get me out of the training however they told the BBB that they cancelled my regular membership at the same time. If they dont resolve this I'm off to the attorney general. they need to learn that they can't treat consumers this way

they take advantage of people!

• Na
    NataliaSpinelli Aug 22, 2012

I was scammed into a personal training program at L.A. Fitness in Hopkins MN.

The VP Daniel Knowles told me “I have a lot on my plate and lots of things to do.” When I spoke with him regarding my situation.

I also found out that the training manager Brett - the one responsible for my scam was terminated from the company because of his lack of integrity. I am sure there are many others out there that were scammed by Brett and other staff at L.A. Fitness.

I recommend a memebership at Lifetime - more expensive but the customer service is worth the extra $$$

I lost a lot of money. I was willing to work with them to find a resolution instead of asking for my $ back but they did not go out of their way to even care about my situation.

BE AWARE of LA FITNESS —— PAY MORE $$$ AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS CHEAP HEALTH CLUB.

Sincerely,
    Natalia Spinelli
    (612) 432-9441

store manager luis was extremely disrespectful

Luis which is the manager at the la fitness in Miami gardens, Florida was rude and disrespectful. I enter the gym on a Sunday 7/6/08 and was asked to take a photo. I simply asked why and he looked me in my face and demanded I take a photo. I told him I was not his child and said he did not care. He had a problem with explaining the new procedure to a paying customer. I was extremely displeased today. I immediately terminated my contract along with two other friends and decided to take our business elsewhere.

• Ci
    citation Dec 24, 2008

La fitness in poway san diego has a bad management. The manager Alex cadavid is very uneducated and disrepectfull. The trainners ran the store and safety level is non existant. Equeppments are old and most of the time are down. Best to tray another gym.

• Sm
    smith Mar 11, 2009

That was not nice for him to say that, but people tend to have bad and good days. Perfect example myself overweight, depressed and unsatifited about my self a gentleman named Jamal approached me at a gas station and offered me a free pass to come enjoy a healthier life style. Sure I thought to my self. When I arrived there Jamal who is the manager there took care of me like he really wanted me to make a change in my life .Showed me what i really have to do to achieve my goals, diets, exercise and bring down the body fat. thanks to Jamal i
    can live and feel more comfortable about my self.

Fraudsters

When you sign up for LA fitness they pride themselves at advertising how flexible your membership is. If you...

just horrible

LA fitness - Langhorne pa is absolutely disgusting. The machines and bathrooms are not kept clean.

The members themselves are disgusting pigs who can't wipe the equipment down after using it. I'm would be afraid to catch diseases if I used their facility.

Their personal training staff is the worst. Most do not even have their certificate - just ask for proof. And if they do it's because thy sat through a 1 day class. They are more interested in getting a date than actually helping clients. And it's a nightmare to cancel. They will bill you until you cancel your credit card.

scam and lies

My company had a corporate membership with LA Fitness and signing up with them has been the worst thing that I've ever done. I signed up with their personal training and when I did, I specifically asked about their cancellation policy. The person who signed me up named Preston said that I could cancel at any time but that I would still have to pay for the month and forfeit any training sessions.

So I started training with my old trainer after being dissatisfied with their trainers and tried to cancel my training sessions with L.A. Fitness. It was only then that I was told about a 50% buyout. I was also told that my gym would honor what they had told me. Well honor is the last thing that L. A. Fitness knows how to do! They have yet to return my calls regarding this. The regional VP is supposed to get back to me and he still hasn't either!

Does anyone know who I can write to to make a formal complaint against them?

• Je
    Jeannieg Aug 19, 2009

I heard that L.A. Fitness went through some really difficult times in early 2008 (top management out of touch, no communication, personal training changes, billing screw-ups), but I went to the Akers Mill location - joined, my trainer is Preston (same Preston, I don't know)... He is awesome and has really helped me to get the results that I want.
    He has helped me out, by not charging me, the few times that I had to cancel our sessons- even at the last minute (I'm not sure that I would have even done that for me)-
    He is an educated, trained professional trainer who also has great people skills - I will re-up when my contract ends.

• Ph
    PhocaSeal Oct 13, 2010

This happened to me as well! I realize the 50% buyout is in the fine print of the contract, but the salesman rushed me through the process so quickly I didn't get a chance to read it. I also asked them specifically what would happen if I needed to cancel. He told me I could cancel with "no problem". My foot. Having to pay 50% unused sessions is a pretty big "problem".

Cancelled but they kept billing

I phoned LA Fitness to cancel my wifes membership that had gone unused for quite some time. I was told I had...

canceling membership

Been trying for a month to cancel membership, which, oddly, one can not do by phone or walking into a local fitness centre (Note: I had no problems writing a check and signing up by walking in). As a member of the military who recently received orders, I went to my "club" in Doral, FL as instructed, picked up cancellation form, and was told to mail it to LA Fitness HQ. Desk attendant said that the postmarked date on envelope would be used to prorate. A month later, my membership fee is still being withdrawn from my account. I called LA Fitness HQ, explained process I'd been through, then received a "we see no signs of cancellation" response and an "if it were me I would have..." lecture that included instructions on walking in to a nearby club, asking for a cancellation form, ensuring the desk attendant makes a note on your account (confirm with your own eyes), fill out paper form, and send it via certified mail to LA Fitness HQ followed by weekly phone call check-ups. What a work-out. While talking to LA Fitness HQ Phone Witch, I was trying to perfect a new stretch where I reached through the phone and gripped her belligerent neck. My advice: do push-ups or join the military if you want to get fit; otherwise, walk into LA Fitness, bend over, and touch your toes.

• Fa
    Fabian P. Bartolon Jun 18, 2008

The reason that I want to cansel my membership is because I don't use it anymore, I have lots of outside activities so please cansel my membership as soon as posible thanyou verymuch.
    sincerely Fabian P Bartolon.

scammed on personal training

My wife joined and was given a hard sell billed as an orientation to sign up for personal training. This turned out to be an automatically renewing contract which would cost $ 5000 / yr.

She did not actually read it and stupidly signed!

Once your name is on the dotted line, you are dead! They refuse to let you off except by the contract terms which are for 50 % of the remaining cost. At 50 % of the first 6 months (which I calculated as $ 1250), this is pretty expensive, but LA Fitness figures this at $ 1550 since the first month somehow doesn't count as remaining. This has so far cost me $ 1700 without actually having a personal training session. (The wife tried to schedule one, but the trainers are never available - and if you don't get them in, you also pay.)

Same problem in quitting my membership. Sent written notice by certified mail (as they require) and still they try to charge my credit card for monthly dues.

No toll free number - no customer service. Their marketing philosophy seems to be to offer a low price and "month to month" contract and then scam you for anything they can.

If you join just say NO, NO, NO, and don't bother to take any "orientations". If you quit, cancel whatever credit card you gave them immediately and be sure to send the cancel notice by registered mail as they will be sure to "lose" it. If someone says they will "take care of cancelling" over the phone, tape it because I can assure you they are lying.

Even though you can never contact them by phone without being on hold for an hour, be prepared to get twice daily phone calls from them on your cell.

• Ni
    NippleHead Feb 10, 2009

Wow, I'm sorry you live in WA, and the best we could offer you are a bunch of shady used car salesmen. I'm a WGM in CT and don't have half the issues with my member's that you mentioned. Yes the training is bunk and I recommend all my memebers to take the assesment but not buy a package because those are contracts!!! I apologize that the GM in your club is concerned with keeping their monthly EFT up that they are willing to screw someone over a cancellation. Is the 30 a month off of a couple hundred thousand really going to hurt their end of month bonus check?! No it isn't, I sincerely apologize on behalf of my company and wish I could offer some help but cannot. Not all clubs are scams though, some of us care and actually have personal relationships with our members. Reading things like this really make me step it up for our members out here. I'm truly sorry for the hardship we may have caused.

health conditions

I am a member of LA Fitness located at 35009 Enchanted Parkway South, Federal Way 98003 - telephone number: [protected]. This business closed their pool on 5/1/08 due to unsafe water levels. They reopened the pool on 5/5/08, even though the pool water problem still existed. They allowed lap swimming and over 25 people were in the water for the water aerobics class. The manager was aware of the water's condition prior to opening the pool on 5/5/08. I spoke with Lindsey Argo at the LA Corporation Office. I told her of the health issues surrounding the people who were exposed to their pool. She offered to refund the days the pool was closed under the condition that she froze my account to only pool access. This is unacceptable. One person having a medical reaction to their pool could result in a huge lawsuit. The unclean water of LA Fitness' pool exposed all swimmers to disease. I called LA Fitness the morning of 5/5/08 and was told by their representative that the pool’s water problem had been solved and that the pool was safe to use. It was not and LA Fitness knowingly allowed its members to swim in an unhealthy pool. Additionally, I have a contract with LA Fitness where they take my money and I am suppose to have access to their pool. This is a contract violation.

Jaqueline Jun 12, 2008

For many years, I used to swim an hour a day. Thanks to LA Fitness not anymore. Their pool was either too cold or too dirty or too brownish, the manager never checked it. When I complained, they always said that nobody else complains and that they will call the "poolguy". One time, their "poolguy" asked me to leave the water because it was unsave. Eventually they did wear me out. I no longer like to swim.

they scammed me

An LA Fitness was opening near my workplace, so I decided to sign up and take advantage of early registration...

staff

LA Fitness has a very nice gym. However, the staff is completly imcompetent. Three seperate times I notified...

terrible experience!

Recently my wife learned that LA Fitness has been withdrawing funds out of one of our accounts since 2005. They have on record of me calling several times complaining yet, they have continued to withdrawal funds. As a result my wife went down for a face to face to get this resolved, Jennifer (club mgr, was very respectful & courteous) But Doug Sanches who does not have a physical address nor his number available to the public stepped in and began to accuse my wife of false identity and became insulting. I have left several messages with La Fitness for either Doug to meet me at one of the clubs he's in charge of or call me. This has allowed me time to further investigte LA's procedures on terminating an account. I plan on filing criminal charges & a complaint with the not only the BBB but Consumer Affairs as well, I also plan on gathering as many as I can to begin a possible class action suite. If you go to their legal web page, you'll learn that there are NO procedures listed for opting out of their membership, only a suspense. By the time I am done with them they will have spent thousands more trying to defend themselves with either legal briefs, representation to the answering of inquires, let alone lost time filing out paperwork, answering phone calls, being court.

• Ri
    Rick May 06, 2008

LA Fitness has the worst, actuall "non-existant" customer service. I signed up for 3 months of training and they charged me for 5 before i could get them to stop charging my acount. If you start a class action law suit count me in.

• Na
    Naomi Jun 18, 2008

I hope you nail L.A. Fitness. I have heard nothing but bad things about the company by word-of-mouth, and I think they officially have the worst customer service of any company I've ever encountered.

I've now been tricked out of hundreds of dollars due to deceptive contracts and slick, pressured salesmanship.

I would like to personally do whatever I can to make sure people know about how unequivocally horrible L.A. Fitness is.

• Pr
    PR girl Aug 06, 2008

LA fitness have horrible training and it is almost impossible to cancel the membership! LETS FIGHT BACK!I WORK IN PR I GOT CONNECTIONS!

I joined LA fitness December 07 and had my free personal training session where that idiot of trainer told me to lose 10-20 pounds...Im 5'8" tall and 125 pounds...WTF!
    I yelled at him and told him that I will never come back again, because one of my best friends nearly died because of an eating disorder.

So, the next day they called me to ask if I was alright and I said no and that I wanted to cancel the membership immediately.After trying to convince me to stay they finally agreed to send me the form. I never received anything, so I called them and they said I should go online. I did, but i didn't wanna set up an account so I called them again and the lady told me that the problem will be solved. they will call me back.
    because I was graduating I didn't have the time to follow up with them.

when I canceled in MAY(!!!) my Swiss credit card they started calling me non stop. then I realized that they have been using my card all the time, because I was so stupid to slide my card once over there!Since then I was sent from one place to the other and apparently all their printers are out of order...sure, but they still can print out applications!!!

I'm working for a PR guy and he discovered in 1989 a major scam with the parking meters in LA where the city had to pay over 15 million dollars back to the people that got parking tickets at manipulated parking meters. He is very well connected and we are going to the media now. If you want to be part of it let me know.I'm trying to collect as many angry people as possible!

• Li
    Lida Azizi Oct 02, 2008

I am as unhappy as rest of the people who complaint about LA Fitness they have stolen money from my account without my authorization and I have been fighting with them since then. I never get anywhere when I call the home office and no one give me a straight answere.

member cancellation!

A member of La Fitness since 2002 Hassel Daniel F1601043. I train three times a week at 530 am with three other friends, on Wednesday 9th April 2008 we did our routine workout, afterwards William a personal trainer from body of change accuse me of training others i informed him that i have being a member since 2002 have a great time working out with my friends and if the trainers will repack the weights after working out their clients and being around so that when members have a problem to help and maybe pick up a new client, instead of trying antagonize members. This information was pass on to the VP of the personal trainers who herself seems lost. The personal trainers have to stop looking to accuse members who are trying enjoy an environment of out dated equipment. Four other members of my family are members of La Fitness and we are strongly considering the other competitive gyms in the area.

• Mi
    Mike Apr 17, 2008

I do like my gym though, and the people who work there (atleast the regulars who have been there for a while...).

• Ri
    Rick D Apr 01, 2011

Bad odors, old rusty equipment, and overall lack of maintenance, for about the last 3 years

cancelation scam

Read similar complaints on this site about their cancelation scam. They billed me for 6 months after I sent cancelation form, and battled with the credit card company because they continued to pay them each month. Their "headquarters" in Toms River would tell me they never received my cancelation form, and because I could not prove I mailed it, they would not refund me for their continued billing. Then when I personally brought the cancelation form to the gym, they still did not cancel and again the Toms River "headquarters" said I had to mail it to them, not give it to my gym (even though they did receive it in Toms River, but said it was not submitted properly). I was so mad at how they treated me and their smirky customer reps that I contemplated standing in the parking lot giving out fliers about their shady tactics. They did finally refund me for 3 months, but would not refund for the entire time. So warning; MAIL YOUR CANCELATION FORM CERTIFIED MAIL!!!

bait and switch!

10 days ago I joined LA fitness. Part of the deal for my family membership was that my 14 year old twin boy...

worst of all!

If i compare this club to human figure, this place and staffs are all head to toe in serious infection of...

fraud and stealing!

In November of 2008 I was forced to cancel my gym membership due to the fact I was laid off from my job. Both my son and I had memberships which they automatically debited from my bank account every month. We went to the gym and they gave us each cancellation forms to fill out and informed us if we put them in the mail within the next couple of days I would only be debited for December. Of course having been laid off we put both forms in the mail that very same day.

When I checked my bank account for February 2008 I noticed LA Fitness deducted one membership fee. I was a little puzzled and upset. I then checked January and sure enough they debited me for January as well. I quick called the center and when they looked up my account it showed that my son's account had been canceled but not mine. I said this was impossible since both forms were mailed on the same day. If they misplaced the form I don't think I should have to pay for it. I also explained that since the day I canceled the membership I had not stepped foot in the gym and they can look that up. She said unfortunately they don't keep track of that and no way to look it up. Even though every time you go they scan your pass on the computer (hard to believe there is no way to know).

I asked her to credit back my account for January and February and she said she will credit back February but was unable to credit back January since I did not notify them in January. I explained to her the reason I canceled was because I was laid off and could not afford this fee. I pretty much got an 'oh well sorry about your luck'.

I then asked for the number to the corporate office and of course they didn't have a number nor anyone else I could speak with. This all took place this week and I have not received my credit as of yet. Somehow I get the feeling I'm not going to see this credit anytime soon.

In my opinion they were very unprofessional, unorganized and show no compassion for their clients. They are only looking out for themselves. I would never recommend this gym to anyone unless they want to be ripped off.

Mary Aug 25, 2008

I definitely agree with you! Not only are they unfair to their paying members, but to their employees. I'm furious of how they run their business! All they care about is making their money. Their motto is to do whatever it takes to make that money! And when employees don't make what is expected of them, you get the boot. On top of all that, they are very unprofessional. They don't care about their employees or their members. Can you imagine working national holidays with out holiday pay? Or, being over-staffed so that everyone works less than full time, so the company doesn't get stuck having to provide benefits. Oh! The managers! They would like to think they possess so much power, that they feel they have the right to treat their employees like dirt! I wish their was someone in their line of authorities who knows what is legal and what's not when running a business so this unfair treatment will stop. If not, maybe making a complaint to the better business bureau will do some justice...