Complaints & Reviews

Resolved warrior x fit and krav maga

I came into the gym in response to an ad that said first month free free month for membership - a $499 value...

rip-off

SCAM. I bought a Groupon for each of my children for 16 classes at $30 each. I knew I'd have to buy the...

fake charges

Money hungry a main portion of each session is attempting to get kids to sell the program to their friend...

Military Cancellation

My complaint with Karate America is the way that they handle their cancellations. On short notice I received military orders to another state. As requested i provided a copy of my orders and signed some paper work.

Good to go?

Apparently not.
Three years later I find out on my credit report that I have a collections agency trying to recover over $1700 for 10 months of karate lessons in FL while I was stationed in a different state.
When I contacted Karate America they notified me that I was supposed to return a letter to them to confirm the cancellation. I have retained the same cell phone number for the past 15 years. They have a copy of my orders stating that I am NOT in FL. Yet they continued to try to find me in FL? I was not notified by the person I cancelled my contract with that I still had to pay a cancellation fee and return a letter to them. Furthermore the letter was sent and "delivered" to me a my address after I had already departed from FL. If I had known that I was to receive said letter I would have called, emailed or written a letter asking about it.

The woman I spoke with on the phone at Karate America Headquarters told me that the last few years the company was struggling. I realize we are in a recession, but the business practices they employ are probably not helping. They make customers sign year long contracts for services. The gym membership I had down the street at Planet Fitness just took a copy of my orders and I signed some paperwork, NO FEE and was done. i have been reading online about many other people having issues canceling with Karate America, especially if they are involved with the military in some way.

It is time to start treating your customers right and being more understanding of the military in a military town Karate America!

Also I would like to state that MG Credit Collections is no picnic to deal with either. Very rude and condescending.

WHAT A SCAM !!!!!!!

What a HUGE SCAM this place is. They have very deceptive practices. Our 9 yrs old daughter wanted to try out...

Rip off

Karate America is a total rip off!! When you first sign up you have to sign a contract which is not a big deal. I will pay the $180 a month but the problem is NO ONE ever said anything about all the added expenses that are beyond ridiculous. You have to pay for every belt, uniforms, weapons, ATA membership and I can keep going and going. I am looking into getting an attorney to break this contract based on information that was withheld. Parents call ATA...ATM because it never stops.

• Kr
    KravMaster May 13, 2011

As I read most of these complaints, it is almost comical to see the Karate America reps reply. It makes me wonder if they all have black belts in dishonesty. I have been going to the Krav Maga school, and paying good money to do so. I have not seen my instructor in over a month. He has "Instructors in Training" who have been doing Krav slightly longer than I have. I hardly think being instructed by students is worth what I am paying. I tried calling to see if we were going to a certified instructor and was told that our instructor would be back in May... well, it's may... he is not coming back. Karate America is a scam, all they want is your money, they do not care about you, they do not care about your kids, they just care about money. They make you buy all their equipment saying it is for insurance purposes, but really, they just buy it from Revgear and mark it up. Rumor has it Karate America is so far in the hole that this is the only way they are going to stay in business, but who knows if it is really true. All I know is that if I have to base my opinion on their product I would believe the rumors to be true.

• Ka
    Karate America Employee May 17, 2011

In Response to KravMaster

First, we apologize. We have been having scheduling problems with the chief instructor. He is finishing his semester in school (which ends May 20th), and his assistants have been running classes when he is not able to be there. The chief instructor has assured us he will be running all classes starting Monday, May 23rd.

If you would please contact our office, we can give you options—either putting your membership on hold or cancelling (with no cancellation fee). We sincerely thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
    Karate America Employee

• Lc
    LCAPELLE May 31, 2012

Dear Broke Parent: my recommendation, if your child still wants to learn martial arts, is to look for an instructor who does NOT teach Karate full-time - that's the teacher who does it because s/he loves it. The fees will be so much more reasonable. I LOVED Karate, and was blessed to have 2 amazing instructors. I blew out my knee, and have not been able to go back...

Should Have Started Sooner

We are really enjoying the classes. Alex loves the lessons and can hardly wait on a "Karate Day", as we call it, to get done with school and head over to the dojo. The interaction with the other students and the instructors is great and Alex will usually not stop talking about what went on in the class; even though we are there watching too. As for myself, I am enjoying my lessons. It is one of the things that I always had in the back of my mind but never had the schedule to support. Now that I am in a more routine career, and not going on six month deployments, I finally have the opportunity to learn. Overall, I have to say, that I do not think we could have picked a better place to start. You and your fellow instructors are very personable, full of energy, and work very well together. Each one of you make the lessons exciting and enlightening.

mad parent Jan 17, 2012

My kids were taking classes for 1 year and when 2 of them were getting close to earning there black belt the instructors became real mean.. Ever class one instructor mad my son cry. They became so hard on them that no one wanted to go to classes. I put all this money and time into KA and for nothing. My kids hate going and I will not make them. My kids are little too and to be that hard to make them cry is not right. What a waste of time and money.

Complete scam

My son is 6 years old. We signed up for karate lessons this past April. As most children, lately he ha...

Cancel contract military orders

I am moving to Italy, my wife just got military orders there. I talked with my instructor and he gave me a...

Great Service!!!

Everyone just thinks about punching and kicking but I am very impressed with the lessons that they teach children such as courtesy, integrity, discipline, and confidence. No where else have I ever seen this done before!!!‎

Jaxhomeschoolmom Sep 26, 2010

They are a MCDojo that cares more about the all mighty dollar than actually teaching kids...They shame the art and I am glad we went with a non-corporate dojo like Kenjin Ryu Martial Arts Center. They actually care about the kids and you will always find instructors teaching the class, instead of paying students teaching as Karate America does, Talk about making the buck off of free teaching for them, while making a profit off of the person teaching!

• Cu
    Customer 31579 Sep 28, 2010

Interestingly enough that has not been my experience at all. The instructors at my school care a great deal for me and the other students. They have certified instructors and some instructors going through internships to become certified instructors. Many times I have been in class and have had trouble getting down a technique and an instructor has always offered to help me after class, no matter how long it took. (all this without ever asking for a nickel) This has also been the case with many other students I've noticed.

Also I do notice that the instructors at my school have made this their chosen careers and have spent many years improving not only their martial arts techniques, but how they teach as well.

While I'm sure Kenjin Ryu is a great school as well I've never heard of them so I have nothing to say one way or the other.

• Kr
    KravMaster Jun 28, 2011

Just wait. You will find the JaxHomeSchoolMom knows exactly what she is talking about, lol.

• Ka
    Karate America Employee Jun 30, 2011

Thank you customer 31579 for your kind words and praise. This is of course the experience we want all of our students to have.

TOTAL SCAM

COMPLETE RIP-OFF AND TOTAL SCAM! Stay far away from Karate America. They are a McDojo more interested in...