Kenmore Elite Gas Grillfaulty burners

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Gas Grill from Sears department store approximately 5 years ago. The grill was purchased for $2000.00. I purchased the grill as apposed to a competitors model because I was lead to believe that this grill would last longer and service would be better, had I run into any functional difficulties. The unit has 6 burners on it, all of which have corroded and function poorly. I was told the cost to replace the burners was $28 a piece, totaling a price of nearly $170. Most recently my brother contacted the service department regarding his Weber Gas grill which is approximately 9 years old. He had a bad burner on his grill and Weber replaced it, free of charge, including shipping and handling. My complaint is that I spent nearly 4 times as much for my grill that was to be superior in quality from a reliable and trusted department store. How can Kenmore, or Sears, compete with brands like Weber with other retail stores? I anxiously await a response to this matter as I am very disappointed in Sears and the $2000 grill I purchased from them. My next grill purchase will be a Weber...and not from Sears! Never again will I purchase a Kenmore product.

Sincerely,

Dr. Mark J Anderson

• Do
    DocAceZ Mar 14, 2015

Since 2011 I have owned TWO Kenmore Gas grills and BOTH have rusted with in a yer BOTH. I just had a repair man come to my home and say this is not under warranty you will have to pay for the labor - but when I told him this was the SECOND grill and provided a receipt for the new 8 month old grill he said wow. Ya this one is parts and labor covered for a few more months.

He looked at it and said I wit they would stop using metal parts from china this is an epidemic with these grills they rust out so quick now it's amazingly sad. He said that this been a parts only repair it would have cost me 180 bucks for labor. The 4 burners are 36 bucks each and come "free" but they get that money back by charging us high LABOR costs. Such a SEARS SCAM it;s a CRIME. I WILL NEVER EVER EVER BUY anything from Sears or Kenmore again. I truly hope SEARS closes it's doors forever - soon!

Oh and for the record it was NOT just ALL 4 burners that rusted out it was the carryovers and the GREASE PAN ALL OF IT!!! Basically, the entire inside is gone.

• Jg
    J Goldsmith Nov 21, 2013

OH YEAH, WELL DOES A PROTECTION PLAN COVER BURN INJURIES DUE TO A DESIGN FLAW? While cooking expensive steaks on a Kenmore grill, I attempted to adjust the temperature and the plastic handle came off. I thought the handle simply came off or had broken. Well I immediately attempted to turn the nob by the small metal piece that the handle slides onto and my fingers stuck to the metal and caused second degree burns, blisters/ turned white and black, to my thumb and index finger. The handle did not break off...IT MELTED OFF! In the process I immediately had to run inside to cool my fingers off with cold water and in the process, my steaks turned into hockey pucks. I contacted Sears and Kenmore and they stated that I have to pay $109 for a service tech to come assess the grill. I informed them that their grill malfunctioned and this is a liability to them. WHY ARE THE HANDLES GETTING SO HOT THAT THEY MELT OFF OF THE GRILL? I have never seen or heard of this...has anyone else? They also stated that there is nothing they can do to compensate me...THAT IS REDICULOUS!!! Not only do I have burned fingers, but I have a piece of garbage that I can't trust. I will never buy Sears again and I'm considering taking legal action against them. They gave me the run a round on the phone for an hour and a half, finally stating that there is nothing they can do. So I have to pay for a tech to come inspect their piece of garbage grill to see why it malfunctioned. In no way was I negligent nor did anything wrong for this to happen to me. But Sears or Kenmore is not responsible for their design flaw! yeah right...I disagree. What would you do then?

no_really? Jul 06, 2013

Maybe people should do research before they buy instead of complaining afterwards to try and feel better about yourselves. There's also things called protection plans, just saying.

• Ds
    dstolerow Dec 29, 2011

I have had the same issues with my Kenmore Elite Grill. It has rusted out three times now. I have spent over $600 in replacement parts to keep the grill going. Customer service is no help, and when I over ordered a couple of the parts, they would not let me return them. Six years later, and now when I light it, the knobs ignite and there is a flame somewhere under the unit near the tank. I had to tell my wife that we'll cook the burgers on the stove. I can't even barbeque with my $1500 grill!

There should be a class action lawsuit against these guys. Now it'll cost me more just to get rid of the piece of sh&t.

• Di
    Dione Van B Sep 19, 2011

I bought a model 141.16228 six years ago. The burners, flame tamers, collector box and burner brackets rusted to nothing 3 years ago and we've been holding off to fix it because the service department at Sears said that the parts are not covered and we would have to pay to have someone came take a look at it. He told me my best bet was to look on the internet and search for my model number and order parts there. WOW now that's customer service. Considering I was a former Kenmore/Sears advocate, I guess I've changed my tune. I would NOT recommend a Sears Kenmore grill to my worst enemy. Sears Parts Direct is double the price of Marbeck's. So I bought my replacement parts from Marbeck's. I will not buy replacement parts again or anything else from Sears for that matter. Good luck keeping customers if you're not willing to back what you promote.

• Sp
    spockmckoy Jun 19, 2011

I agree with the sears quality going down. I bought my Kenmore Elite several years ago, stainless steel, etc. I was told for $700 it would be the last grill I needed to buy. 'lifetime' grill. BS. I have nursed the cast iron burners as long as I could repair them. Now I need to replace and found them on ebay. So much for Sears 'lifetime' products. NEVER again. I will repair for the $54 dollars and I need to make my own supports for the 4 burners, which I have the metal for. The starter rotted off within the 1st summer, so I use a long metal bic lighter to ignite. The stainless grill looks fine. The cheap, and I mean very cheap painted steel cart is rusting away big time. POOR design/POOR product. I advise to stay away from Sears anymore.

• Er
    ErinKu Apr 11, 2011

My Kenmore gas grill (model [protected]) was in use for the 3rd summer last August when the hose connecting the side burner ignited into flames! The entire sideburner of the grill was burned but luckily no one was hurt. I recently opened the grill to figure out what replacement parts I need. In addition to the side burner mechanism and gas hose attachement, I had to replace the rusted out grill grates, starter button, and other rusty parts which was not from the fire. I was told by Sears that there is nothing they could help me with. I spent about $120 in neccessary parts, but could have easliy spent another $100 or so just to make it look nice. I hope to get another 3 years out of it and then I will purchase a Weber!

• Er
    Ernest King Feb 20, 2011

I agree with all of the above. My wife purchased a Kenmore Elite Model 141.17680 in 2003 for our anniversery. She paid $1, 000.00 for this product. Since that time, I have replaced all of the cast iron burners (4), the bracket, and gas collector box twice. I am now looking at a third time, since the burners have deteriorated once again. I always keep it covered. I will now purchase a different make grill and have the Kenmore hauled off. I was always a strong believer in Sears products, but this ordeal has tarnished the Sears name and has brought it to the level of K-Mart. Thanks for the memories during the good times for Sears, but it is time to move on to another product line.

• Mi
    Mike B. - NJ Nov 13, 2010

Similar story. Owned two Kenmore grills, one elite with cast iron burners and the other high end "Kenmore" with the stainless steel burners. Have always trusted Kenmore/Sears with applicances and the like, but never again! Unbelievably bad customer service, transferred to 13 people over 2 calls all in the attempt to get replacement parts under warranty. Ultimately got some of the parts, but not all and had to spend a weekend repairing on my own. Of course, they were willing to visit and evaluate for the base level service charge.

Parts wear out, just honor the warranty. When it becomes a hassle, I will find someone else who will honor their commitment. The stainless steel rusted and "burnt out" from the heat and the painted parts have completely rusted thru. If you want a disposable unit and 2 years is okay, Sears is fine. Otherwise, direct your money elsewhere.

• Md
    MDC2 Oct 20, 2010

Yup, same here. I've replaced the burners 3 times in seven years. I've waited quite a while to replace the internal brackets but am now forced to since they are literally crumbling before my eyes. It's a good looking grill but it's really a piece of junk. And believe me, I let it be known at every function I host when folks say "Hey, what a great grill!" Looks are very deceiving.

• Ti
    Tim1971 Sep 17, 2010

For as much as I paid for my 141.16681 I would have thought it would live longer than me.
    For as much as it will take to replace the burners, the burner bracket, the gas collector box and drip tray, I can by a nice foreign made product or TWO...

Very disappointed. Sears, Roebuck & Co used to stand behind their stuff... what happened?

• Wi
    Wireless5280 Sep 05, 2010

Same here. I purchased a model [protected]. The burners deteriorate internally and clog after a years use. I've replaced them 3 times and I'm fed up with this. Sears has done nothing to satisfy me. If they had sold me the replacement burners for $5 bucks each I could live with replacing them annually but at $120 a set I'm pissed. Not the way Sears should be treating their customers, or should I say former customers !

• Br
    bryjgill Apr 03, 2010

#[protected] purchased fall of 07. I always keep it covered when not in use. What a hunk of junk. I replaced rusted grates only to have them rust again. Now, the whole inside is rusted out. burners, burner covers, top rack. I love the taste of rust on my steaks. Tastes like Victory! I had a Charbroil previously that lasted 8 years with no problems.

• Te
    texspike Mar 08, 2010

I would like add my comment to the poor quality of my 5 burner gas grill that I bought from Sears. model 16784, it is now being discontinued. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!The stainless steel burners rusted out in one year along with all of the igniters. The grill plates themselves rusted out in 18 months and started to flake off.

My dad always swore by Sears products now I just swar at them. I will NEVER buy another Sears product again.!!!

Martin Davila Jan 30, 2010

Same here...I was led to believe the Kenmore brand was to be trusted for its lasting and unmatched reliability...my grill model 141.16681 has retained its beautiful stainless steel appearance but the burners have rusted and underperformed at a very early stage.I spent 1500 on the grill and wished I had spent less on a comparable brand and not feel cheated once the burners showed their normal wear. SEARS needs to make sure all parts to their Kenmore brand are top notched, especially on high end products, or they'll loose credibility and ultimately customers. Martin Davila

• Cl
    Clyde B. Killian Jun 20, 2009

I have a Kenmore Elite Grill product number 141.16681. Its burners rust out and require ongoing maintenance. There is a reason why the reviews for this product are so poor. I have had to put a lot of work to keep this functional over the last 4 years. Over the last four years, I have found product quality and customer support to be unacceptable.

In the future, we will not buy grills or washing machines from SEARS. I appreciate this forum to express my views.

• Ge
    GeneralStark Jun 04, 2009

Mark,

I am not familiar with a class action investigation involving our grill. Lots of class actions for washing machines, microwaves and the like. Nothing relating to a gas grill. Some of the law firms on our site might be interested in hearing from you. No guarantee though. www.classadvocate.com. Good luck