Menu
Intoxalock
reviews & complaints

Intoxalock
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

191 complaints
3 resolved 188 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Intoxalock. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
D
2:15 pm EDT

Intoxalock - Interlock device

Just as all the other posts, I too am having problems starting my car. This seems to be a universal complaint yet they have no solutions to the problem. The customer service department doesn't know anything other than the script they are given. same answers every time. There appears to be no way to have your concerns escalated to higher management. I don't know what other choices are available, but I would advise to go with anyone else.

D
1:28 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had my license suspended in Georgia. I had met all the criteria except for having a IID installed. Well, I moved to Tennessee for work and finally was stable enough to afford an IID. I called intoxalock and their state specialist told me everything was fine, that I had to go to Georgia to get the unit installed, but I could have it serviced closer to...

3:45 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

After four months of complying with my local DMV and completing all requirements I received approval to remove the device. I then sent in my paperwork and was released by Intoxalock. It took 4+ hours on the phone today to finally have the appointment made. Customer service and the Intoxalock installers/removers were barely capable of setting up an...

10:30 am EDT

Intoxalock - Poor service-lies

Automated system can't find my account so I have to sit through the entire phone tree to find a way to get through. Service reps repeatedly refuse to let me talk to a supervisor. They repeatedly have told me they sent forms to penndot, penndot says they never received them — multiple times. They have reported to penndot after my 1 year restriction was up — causing still more problems. This has been a horrible experience.

Desired outcome: Resolve the problem

A
9:00 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Where do I start? Let's start with the device itself. It's been installed for around 6-7 months now. After being calibrated each time, device malfunctions and stops working. When you call for service, they tell you to troubleshoot which does nothing because it's the crap device that's causing the issues. I've had false positives multiple times but only...

L
9:49 am EDT

Intoxalock - IID caused all lights to stop working

2 hours after the installation of the IID, my left front lights went out.
Called the installer and they asked for me to come back because it might be a fuse blown. Went back and they looked at the fusses but couldn't find any blown. So they said it might just be the bulbs... the entire set... oaky whatever I'll replace them.
Fast forward 2 weeks and now none of my lights work and I am unable to get anyone to service the because of COVID and the fact that someone will have to blow in it every 5-55 mins. Asked if there was a way that they could disconnect the it and put it in maintenance mode... nope. In fact I would have to have it uninstalled (need a court order) and then have it reinstalled all at a cost.
so, I have a truck with 40k miles that I cannot drive unless the sun is up. I highly recommend that you do not use this device and search for an alternative to save you the headaches and drain on your finances.

1:32 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Continually discharges battery. Company says you have to start it everyday but it still drains it. False positives and they argue with you. I took vitamins and it failed. I drank a vitamin water on a long drive and it failed. I feel the camera is invasive as well. Totally outdated machine and they charge you for all it's errors. The customer service is obviously outsourced and hard to understand.

B
5:54 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

They are a horrible company. Bought my own code reader for 20 bucks. Shows cylinder 1 misfiring. It August in Georgia, just as hot at 9am as it was at 11am. Car has been driving fine always. Intoxalock installed and engine was sputtering or hesitating until I got close to the house. Then it just seemed like it was going to stall. I limped home going just...

12:50 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I started my account with them on July 29th 2020. On September 8th 2020 my vehicle was in a car accident and totaled. It took three weeks of me calling them and getting hung up on and being placed on hold for hours just to find out that there is no way to get the device out of my vehicle. The options given where tow it to Philadelphia or take it to where I...

10:02 am EDT

Intoxalock - Customer service / company

Customer service agents keep hanging up the calls, the device stop working and I had to pay for a wrecking service to take the vehicle from my job to the service center, I was told I was getting a new device shipped and I will get refunded for the reinstallation and recalibration, the device took four days to be shipped, was informed by a ride representative I was getting a credit for the whole month, and after the device was reinstalled withing the hour I got a lock out. I had to called three times to get someone because the agents keep hanging up, when I got someone they explain they will notate to get a credit for the lockout, I was not able to talk to a supervisor according to agents they are not authorized to contact a supervisor. It's been 11 days that I have been feeling with this company and their agents to get the reimbursement, they keep asking for the same invoices that I have send for a whole week. And they can't find the invoices I send them at [protected]@intoxolock.com. And while i'm still waiting to get refund of $290. And keep getting excuses. Now I was charge again for the payment and the credit is non existent. This company really sucks. I give kudos to the spanish representative they are more helpful but still with no resolution.

Desired outcome: Better option of customer Service and my refund

8:03 am EDT

Intoxalock - Service,customers support device ,billing ..... everything regarding this company

This is the worst company I've ever dealt with. I switched from smart start to intoxalock. I called them inquiring about their service and their device. The representative (salesmen) said so many amazing things about their company and their device. He called me every 2 weeks for 3 months asking me to switch. Finally I did. They knew I was switching companies. My appointment to have it removed was at  10am. Smart start had it removed in 15min. My appointment with intoxalock was at 1:30. Dropped my car off early around 11. 6 pm I called car toys (intoxalock service center) to check the status. I was informed it won't be ready for 3 days because they didnt get the device. They knew DOL only allows 24 hrs to have it reinstalled. I received notice of suspension from DOL... The salesman said I would have to pay 29$ for install and everything else encluding the calibration is free and that I only had to bring it in every 60 days. Then my debit card started getting automatic charges every 2 weeks. This device is almost impossible to blow in. 20 million times harder then my previous company. This is frustrating because it was one of the reasons why I switched. Tryied getting in touch with the salesmen. And that was impossible. Gives you 3 mins. To give a good sample. If I wasn't able to give a good breath sample my horn automatically started going off. Everytime I had to redo it. (while I'm driving down the road) on average it would take me about 4 tries before the device would accept it. Then I went to get in my car. And the device says that I had missed a device service. I never received any notice from the device regarding a service. I called them they said I need to have it towed in. I asked what happened and received multiple different reasons... First one said it was because my breath was warm or the device. It's been 100+  in the area I live in. Other reason was that I took 5 times to give a good sample. I had to pay 100$ fee plus I was not reimbursed for my tow. It was less then a month and the service and device just got worse and worse. So not I'm trying to switch  back to my original company. And looking at close to 400$ to have it removed from them because their company is the worst company ever. It's one thing or the other. I'm still trying to get it removed...

Since then the debited my account 2 times first 198$ then the next day 88$ they have said multiple times the will refund the 198$ but it's been 3 weeks and I still have yet to be refunded. The 88$ they debited they won't even admit that they took it.

The device completely drained my battery over night and now they want to charge me a 75$ for a violation. My is brand new. When I was with smart start my battery went dead multiple times. Not once did I receive a violation and charged for it.

Desired outcome: Refunded and device removed

W
1:31 pm EDT

Intoxalock - General billing issues

I spoke with someone 8/12 to establish the account. I was given a monthly fee of $104 after having them remove roadside assistance that I didn't ask for. I was told that I needed to pay $27.50. I paid with my debit. I was then discouraged from finding an installation appointment. The same rep wanted to "take care" of it and said it might take a week. I asked if I could just find one on my own, again, and now he said I could.

I set an appointment for the following day 8/13. During installation I got on the app to "sign my lease" and was told that my account was past due, the balance was $0.00, I had been set up for bi-weekly payments, I couldn't pay until 7 days after installation, and they had a credit card on file that I never gave them. That card has been expired for over a decade and they shouldn't have it regardless.

I have attached a screenshot in case anyone needs clarification.

The two things that I feel I am entitled to are:

* 1 ) An honest response and receipt

* 2) A monthly billing statement like normal people receive

Desired outcome: Reference last two lines please.

R
4:11 am EDT

Intoxalock - Intoxalock devise to start car

hours agoDetails
I've left many calls and emails with Nate McNamara and get no response. I've broken down three times on the side of the road, my car is still the shop because of your devise keeps shutting all electrical in my car. My recal date is Friday the 13th and I'm not sure I'll have my car back so I need to move the date but Nate won't call back as usual. This issue along with the price gouging is well documented with my state rep, BBB and Massachusetts AGs office. Treating people like money machines won't work with me. I'm an upstanding citizen in the world of AA and my reputation is impeccable. I have no problem being challenged by your company and your criminal price gouging tactics. It is well documented that I've been trying to get resolution on the matter of a possible miss recal date because I don't my car and it's still in the shop. I just want make sure I have as much documentation as possible for when your report me in violation. I have requested the complaint log you keep when I call into your help lines but was refused. As a matter of law this is illegal not to furnish me this info. The matter of my recal date being missed and receiving no help except that I can change it $40.00 even to the issue is yours is unacceptable and pricing gouging 101. I have been keeping a log of dates and times of emails, phone calls into your company and other agencies as reported. Your help will be appreciated but I doubt anything will happen.
What a company!

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Desired outcome: Reimbursement and to get my recal date extended if my car isn’t out the shop in time. No one returns calls!

T
1:51 pm EDT

Intoxalock - Power cable for interlock device

I've been waiting a [censored]ing on these idiots to send the part needed and then they send the wrong one. I'm so [censored]ing mad right now. I have [censored] I need to Diane they are causing me to get behind. I have missed 3 days of work now. I swear to God this is the stupidest company I have ever had to deal with and regret going through them. My car is sitting at the shop and they won't let me take it. What the [censored] am I am supposed to do. Guess I can get a lawyer and sue their [censored]. They are inconsiderate and have no clue how their lack of intelligence is affecting others. I want my lost wages.

Desired outcome: I want my car back for one but I've lost $300 in wages because of them. Give me the $300 you screwed me out of.

P
7:41 am EDT

Intoxalock - Lack of customer service. Incompetent people. Destruction of property and business. Holding vehicle hostage. Selling harmful product.

The product and service is not reliable.
Today I pay to have my vehicle towed to their installer to replace the entire unit.
Intoxalock (referred to from now on as "They" or "Them"), determined, after many of my attempted calls to resolve the issue of no power to the unit, to send a replacement.
They sent to the wrong service center in a different part of the state. When I finally confronted Them, I was gaslighted that it was my fault.
Now it's 13 days later and I will have my vehicle towed today to install an entire new system.

Besides my expense of dealing with rude customer service, no call back from the manager after repeated messages, no vehicle for 13 days so far, listening to the annoying music on hold, in addition to the annoying sound from the unit, I have reached the point where my business and mental health is being adversely and severely compromised.

I was given a $100 credit to my account in an attempt to placate me although the cost to me personally mentally and financially cannot be resolved with the $100 credit.

This thing They installed is destroying my life

Desired outcome: an appointment to remove the device free of charge next week as I will make an appointment with another company for an install.

1 comment
T
Aug 09, 2021 2:22 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I'm preparing to call a lawyer myself. My car has been at the shop since Tues for a simple device switch. So far that's 6 days now. I'm also going to get my $200 back for the cost of the switch. I'm so [censored]ing mad right now.

P
1:01 pm EDT

Intoxalock - no power to unit and new relay was sent to wrong installer- 2 week delay

I had the unit exchanged because of no power to unit. The exchanged one had no power either although Matt's mobile in Kenosha Wi said it checked out there.

A new relay was to be sent to Ericksons Auto trim on Lathrop Avenue in Racine Wi to be installed yesterday.
It was sent to Ericksons Auto trim in another part of the state.
Now Matt's Mobile in Kenosha is to receive the relay tomorrow although he doesn't know if he can do it for a week.

Needless to say I can't run a small business.
Now what are my recourses?

M
9:20 pm EDT

Intoxalock - Charged inappropriate fees

. I HAVE BEEN charged for MISSING A RECALIBRATION DATE BUT I WAS AT the service center they sent me to ON THE DATE OF MY reCALIBRATION AND THE SERVICE CENTER CLOSED FOR AN EMERGENCY an hour and a half early. I CALLED INTOXALOCK WHEN I ARRIVED AT THE CENTER AND NOTIFIED THEM and they were unable to find another center open that I could drive to before all centers in that area closed.

Desired outcome: I want the charges reimbursed back to me.

10:41 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Intoxalock - Broke down in the middle of a busy highway.

My car was running completely fine before having the device installed. I had to replace the battery about 1 week after it was installed which cost $115. I broke down in the middle of a busy highway, which almost caused multiple accidents, in addition to high stress and anxiety. I then had to get towed for $80. Now I need to replace the alternator. Every time I call to speak to someone takes 25 minutes. I cannot for the life of me get in touch with Duane Beers, the rep that sold the device to me. Every time I email him, I get ignored. Horrible service.

Desired outcome: I would like a refund for the tow when I broke down in the middle of the highway

A
2:11 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

A individual is fraudulent using my address to hold on to his revoked drivers license while he moved out of state! This individual has unpaid court fees as well not upholding his agreement to Knox county to Obtain a valid hard ship license or current payments with intoxloc! He is willing driving in Miami dade county Florida on a revoked Tennessee license do...

W
9:08 pm EDT

Intoxalock - Everything intoxalock

I had my device installed June 12 or June 17, 2020 by a nice lady, but she didn't have any idea what she was doing. I took the car to her 2 days in a row and ultimately had to leave it overnight & she was on the phone with tech support the entire time I was there getting directions. My horn & interior bells no longer work and have bought 2 batteries because the device will come back on at any random time, day or night w/o any knowledge of it. When I complained about it, I was told I could take it for inspection, but if it was not their fault it would be $85/hr out of my pocket. I have screenshots of my account and all of the charges and lockout fees and there is A WHOLE LOT! NOW, my "Intoxalock "lease was up on 6/12/21, however on my driver's license, it's a 6/17/21 removal date in bold red letters. But I can't do a thing until I sign a new lease, which is approximately $340 FOR 5 DAYS! I work part-time @ Dollar General and make very little and I feel like I've paid my debt to society and should be left alone by price gouging companies like INTOXALOCK! THE MOST AWFUL COMPANY EVER TO ME!

Desired outcome: They shouldn't be allowed to take advantage of anyone who is trying to better themselves & drop them. REFUNDS???

Intoxalock contacts