IHOPrude manager

The other night my five friends and I decide to go to IHOP to get something to eat in early hours of the morning around 1:30/2 a.m. It was a mess from the moment we walked in. We were aware that IHOP was going to be jam packed and FULL of drunk cowboys but, we have always has some-what decent service so still wanted to go. My two friends arrived there about 10 minutes before me and the other four so my friend put her name on the list for us. After we got there and about 20 minutes of waiting for our name to be called the manager at the front gives me and the four friends who got there late a mean glare and says not only very loud, but very rude, "EXCUSE YOU. ARE YOU WAITING FOR A TABLE OR SOMETHING? YOU HAVE TO PUT YOUR NAME ON THE LIST IF YOU WANT TO BE SAT!" so we replied back saying we did. She looked at us like we were stupid. Then my friends cut in and said, "uh I did...Amanda for 6?" the manager then looks down and says "oh, s**t". So yeah, that made us angry but we didn't say anything.

So anyway, we're sitting there under a cheap hawaiin umbrella (the ihop is decorated in this theme) and attached to a taped monkey. So a woman, a drunk one, comes up to and pulls on it, making the umbrella fall on top of us. So of course we're not just going to sit under it, we try and put it back up. But, something is wrong with it and we are unable to keep it up so we're sitting there holding it up, trying to make it stay and all of a sudden the manager turns around quickly and literally YELLS at us, "HEY! DO NOT TOUCH THAT! YOU CAN'T JUST HELP YOURSELF TO WHATEVER YOU WANT!". We were absolutely shocked. Who does this woman think she is? We weren't trying to make trouble, we were simply fixing someone else doing.

So yes, my friends got extremely mad and the woman now wants to kick us out! After we all exchange many mean words we start walking to our car and remember hey, we need to get her name. So my friend and I walk in back inside and ask for her name. She gave us her first name and absolutely REFUSES to give us her last. My friend and her say a few things to eachother and as we are walking off the manager says, "Act your age, not your IQ.". I think that was very rude, childish, and far beyond unprofessional.

Then we leave, go to Denny's and honestly have the most kind server we have ever had.

• Ta
    tamparm Feb 25, 2011

well first off.. dont bother asking for last names. all you need is their first name and the store they are located at. they are legally allowed to not give you their last name. you are on a first name basis with them unless otherwise printed on their nametag.

but i do agree with you what happened was extremely rude. but were you and your group of friends loud? possibly too giggly or anything that would make someone upset?

the last thing she said is really the only thing that can get her in trouble.. but unfortunately for you the only one in there at the moment was your friend and the manager.. your whole group wasn't there to witness the last comment.

sucks, but thats life. no need to fret over things like that..