Hydro OneCharged outrageous amount and not using hydro

I have not been at my house since November of 2010, nor has anyone else. My hydro bills living there with 4 people used to range from 20.00 - 50.00 (as it is a small house). I received a bill for $270.00 and they can not determine why, nor tell me why. I have not had heat in the house, so that is not a source of energy as well. I have called to speak with people on this and everyone is rude, can not answer your questions and there is never anything they can do to help you. Very unprofessional, unorganized and unfair for something that you pay so much for.

My bill is higher then my mortgage payment, I could understand if I was actually using hydro, but everything is turned off and unpplugged. They are literally rapping us of everything.

• Tc
    t.clough Nov 07, 2013

i to am a victim of hydro one. Delivery charges outweighing consumption. huge catch up bills because the smart meter wasnt working properly. If you try to complain to the ontario energy board it will be a complete waste of your time. I dont know if people remember when hydro one first went private, rates went through the roof, and the people decided to take action. A great majority of us refused to pay our bills, and the government actually stepped in and regulated rates. The lesson i learned from this is individually you will get nowhere trying to fight them. There is strength in numbers, especially if it affects hydro's bottom line. I agree with starting a class action suit or something because until we all ban together they can and will ignore us.

NoToHydroOne Jun 18, 2013

Generator at at Princess Auto is about $500. I only need to run it 1 hour a day to pump water. Use wood stove for heating. Put milk and butter in the cistern, we can actually live without a fridge. For a good hot shower and hot tub, membership at the local Recreation Center is about $300 a year. Might as well hand wash clothes at the Rec Center while I'm at it. Let's boycott Hydro One and have all have our houses disconnected from Hydro One!

• Cj
    C_John Nov 20, 2012

It would be cheaper to put deep cycle battery in your basement and charge them off your car for ligths and small appliantes and heat and cook with a wood stove like i am doing and if they keep it up with the estimated billing i will have them disconnect from the pole al together. 250 watt solar panels are cheaper then a months hydro bill.

• Cj
    C_John Nov 20, 2012

I think if hydro one can't get a high reading they hide the online sites info and send you a estimated bill higher then the actual bill just to collect interest and take the extra off your future bills it make sense if they over charge a million users. It is illegal just like shaving a nickel at a bank on every account.

• Pa
    Parkie Oct 17, 2012

we also spend winters away with all appliances unplugged and heat turned down to 10 c. our hydro costs are double summer time.

we will be monitoring more closely this winter.

analog Feb 02, 2012

I just exited a call with Hydro One's billing department. I've moved into this new residence in may of 2011... it is not a massive home and went to great expense replacing 90% of the lighting with LED low power replacements nearly $2, 800.00 worth the bulbs. We have one of the most energy efficient external heating appliance you can procure... yet despite my efforts to be a good green Canadian... We have been billed a total of $3, 800.00 since May 2011 for pure play electricity. What I mean by pure play is that we do not have electrical appliances that generate heat. We have a gas stove and oven, external wood furnace, we do not use a clothes dryer etc. We do not watch TV any more than an hour 5 days a week etc. One major challenge is that the smart meters can't be read... they upstream directly to their collection network. As such I had to install a current clamp device to gauge my usage at my expense... the long into short is... my $1, 400.00 fluke energy monitor reports less than 68% of the usage compared to my billing statement... So rather than rant I would like to gauge those on this boards interest, if an appetite exists, to begin a class action process as there is clearly something wrong with either their recording/billing back-end or their accounting rules are more scandalous than that of Olympus... please post back and let me know if there is interest and I will create an email address in that you can sign/join to begin the process.