Having problems with HSBC Holdings?

HSBC Holdings reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 11, 2006. The latest review Unauthorised Transaction was posted on Feb 19, 2021. The latest complaint worst bank ever was resolved on Sep 17, 2014. HSBC Holdings has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 363 reviews. HSBC Holdings has resolved 171 complaints.

HSBC Holdings Customer Service Contacts

+44 122 626 1010 (Non HSBC Bank customers)
+44 122 626 0260 (Premier Banking Customers)
+44 122 626 0878 (Business Banking Customers)
+44 345 712 5563 (Textphone)
PO Box 6125,
Coventry, England, West Midlands
United Kingdom - CV39GW

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with HSBC Holdings Customer Service. Initial HSBC Holdings complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for HSBC Holdings above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about HSBC Holdings. Discuss the issues you have had with HSBC Holdings and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

HSBC Holdings Complaints & Reviews

HSBC Bank Of Ghanaecowas funds with held

My fuds amounting to 1.5 million united states dollars are with held in this bank. am required to pay $250 for transfer but I don't have the cash. I proposed tht they deduct from what they have but all in vain. please do assist me in the transfer of the funds. my email is [protected]@rocketmail.com. bank contact is +[protected]. thanks and hope to hear from you.

HSBC Insurance Company — sold me a no good insurance policy

Lat year around February I took out a life insurance policy for my 25 year old daughter that has a rare lung...

فردی به نام هانگ کارمند HSBCکلاهبرداری به نام ارثیه

من توسط فردی به نام هانگ زیانگ که خود را کارمند بانک
    hsbcمعرفی کرده بود به عنوان اینکه ارثیه ای در ان بانک به من به ارث رسیده توسط وکلای شرکت نوبل در شانگهای چین مبلغ 10000دلار کلاهبرداری کردند وبرای ازاد شدن ارثیه مبلغ دیگری می خواستند که فهمیدم کلاهبرداری است.من ادرس ایمیل واطلاعات حسابی را که پول واریز کردم را زمیمه می کنم.
    من هنوز با ایمیل با اودر ارتباط هستم
    ایمیل این فرد:[protected]@gmail.com
    ایمیل وکلا :[protected]@lawyer.com

کلاهبرداری به نام ارثیه

HSBC Bank Nevada, N.Agarnishing husband's wages

HSBC Credit Card Department would not work with my husband when we were having financial trouble. My husband asked if he could pay x amount until we got on our feet. We were in the process of losing our home. My job contract was not renewed, so I was facing unemployment. HSBC said x amount was unacceptable and kept calling for the amount they wanted. The conversation kept repeating itself. When I tried to make a payment online, to show good faith even though it was not the amount acceptable to HSBC, we were locked out of the online service since the account was delinquent.

Statements stopped coming. Threat letters replaced statements stating we will be sued for the balance. We just received a certified letter from his employer providing us a copy of wage garnishment won in court in December 2010. No letter stating when they were going to court was sent to us. My husband was not able to state his side of the story. 2000.00 in late fees was assessed on a 1300.00 balance over the cource of one year.

There is a number for everyone to call if credit card companies run by national banks, such as HSBC, are behaving badly. [protected]. You will be connected to the Office of Comptroller of the Currency. www.helpwithmybank.gov, I had no idea this office existed. I called the CA Attorney General's Office and asked who I take this matter to. The above office was given to me. The office investigates the bank to see if their dealings are outside the regulations. Call them first for instructions on how to navigate through the web site. When we find out the outcome of contacting this watchdog. I will write again.
      American citizen

• Ca
          Cadeliterotica Mar 31, 2011

Glad you stood up for yourself, banks do not try to work with people when rough times happen

HSBC GM Flexcard Credit Card — website

This website for viewing credit card account is horrible! Never up and working properly, must always call in...

HSBC UAEextremely poor customer service and negligence

HSBC UAE have managed to screw up just about every aspect of my banking actions. I am a Premier customer but am closing all my global accounts because I am so frustrated by the lack of service and issues created by HSBC UAE.
        Where do I start? The latest issue I have is that they haven't transferred the entire amount I instructed and it is taking weeks (over a month now) to tyr and sort out the problem with the Jebel Ali Relationship Manager Padma Denrich. She has phoned me at 0700 despite my instructions to only contact me by email. She has also been quite rude about the situation and opting to make a fuss about me closing other accounts, instead of resolving the issues.
        HSBC UAE have cancelled my credit card and closed accounts without warning or advise or explanation to me.
        There must be around 100 complaints they have generated everytime they've done something wrong yet I am never given and outcome despite many requests to be advised.
        HSBC UAE have phoned me in the middle of the night and between 0200 and 0300. They had my birth date wrong after it was supposedly corrected over a year ago. The list goes on...
        I am waiting for the funds they owe me to be deposited into my account before closing it.
        Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE.
        I am compiling a list of the "complaints" they have automatically generated and intend to publish it wherever I can.

• Ru
            Rufaro Dec 26, 2015

Horrible bank

Nour_uae Jan 02, 2013

I have another horrible experience with them .. For me it was with the credit card .. For 6 years in a raw i never missed a payment, and when the payment method changed and despite the confirmation from the customer service agent, I found a "late" transaction they wanted me to pay, after verification again and their agreement to waive the additional penalties - as this is obviously their mistake- i found the collection department asking me to pay a sum of only finance and late charges. I was advised to go to the branch -after their failed attempts to resolve it over the phone, to find the person in charge not in the branch after waiting for 40 minutes!

The person then said he will send the necessary papers to sign by courier but never did! And attempting to confirm that this guy is present before i go and waste my time again with them isimpossible! Everyone returns me to square one and just adding to my frustration and confirmation not todo any banking with them ever!

Jami3 Jun 04, 2012

I agree with you. HSBC AE is a nightmare. I have to fly in to close my account because I am so frustrated by their dealings or lack of. The central bank really needs to step in, but I doubt they will bother. I hope anyone who considers doing banking with this firm to think twice!

HSBC UAEnegligence

The branch in Abu Dhabi ignore all my communications. I pay to have thd service of a Personal Relationship Manager who ignores my emails. I have an internal HSBC security protected email service - my emails are ignored. The web site publishes no contact mail address. I have written to close my accounts. My instructions are continuously ignored.

Jami3 Dec 11, 2013

I had gone through the same nightmare back in October. My premier account representative was totally uselss and arrogant beyond measure. He spoke to me, as if, I was his housemaid. Again, I contacted the HSBC HQ in London. Of course, they can't do much, but I figure, maybe-maybe they will contact a head honcho and inform him just how pathetic their staff are; in handling personal account holder requests. After weeks of utter frustration, I finally made the transfer myself online-after a lot of frustration on that end as well. I would think HQ in London would act on these complaints. The UAE bank staff is giving the HSBC a bad reputation, on so many levels.

• Pa
              paul hammer Dec 11, 2013

I made a online transfer 5 months back for a studio in Rheem island just before leaving UAE and they did not honour it and despite numerous e mails have failed to offer any explanation. They "dreaded call centre" appaently kept ringing a mobile I advised them was no longer active so went to a UK HSBC to verify me and asked them "call centre individual" to familiarise themselves with all the unanswered secure massages and then call me back on a the given landline and put my on line transfer back on track. They did not and have repeatedly failed to offer any explanation and their lack of action has cost me the studio which has now gone way up in price. Calling their call centre is a joke and the secure message responses border on sheer stupidity. Now sending daily reminders by e mail to them but it’s like communicating with a very thick brick wall. They operate as if they have total disregard to customers complaints and have total immunity. I wonder if this is what they are taught ias aprt of their Induction Course. HSBC Adu Dhabi should not be allowed to operate and are a total disgrace to the Banking Industry

Jami3 Jun 04, 2012

You must be joking! I contacted the central bank in London and they told me they would send a message to AD, but could not do much more than that. HSBC AD is under the Emirati laws. Why do you suppose it is so difficult for them to send the secure key to me. My husband says, they don't want to spend one dirham on the Aramex bill. They are a disgrace. I will be happy to leave HSBC forever.

• Sc
              Schooling Jun 04, 2012

After I left AD it still took 9 months to close my affairs with HSBC. I cannot believe how such an organisation stays in business.

Jami3 Jun 04, 2012

I am going through the same nightmare with HSBC in Abu Dhabi. They have included a new online security procedure to do online banking. Now all HSBC customers have to use a SECURE KEY for all their online banking. I have waited 1 month and 1/2 to receive this key. I have made numerous calls and written dozens of emails to no avail. Now I am forced to fly out to Abu Dhabi to close my account because of this ordeal. There are no words to describe my frustration. I strongly urge anyone to think twice before doing any business with HSBC AE.

HSBC Loan Corp. — foreclosure fraud

HSBC Corporation is selling my home on Feb 23 2011 I have never been served any notice of foreclosure, notice...

HSBC/GM Cardlack of customer service

I have been trying to rectify a disputed charge for months customer service agents are inept. I have written to them many times and have gone as far as to get a letter from the vendor in question that they authorized a refund.
            However HSBC refuses to remove the charge from my account. In my opinion this is the worst company I have ever had to deal with and as soon as I get this issue rectified I will cancel.

HSBC Credit Card, Malaysiadifficulty in getting reimbursement

I cancelled my HSBC credit card in August 2010 by filling in cancellation card in KL. Apparently, I still money in the account which I paid extra in the earlier transaction. According to the HSBC staff that I dealt with at the time, I should receive back the money in 2, 3 weeks.
              Now, it has been 5 MONTHS and still have not received back my money. Until this complaint is written I have called HSBC Credit Card Customer Service - 6 TIMES !!! I called them in September, October and early January 2011. They kept on promising that I will receive back the money in 2, 3 weeks ... What is going on ???? Luckily I made a copy / record of the conversation and documentation. See attachements.
              HSBC - what is going on ????? The amount is not even RM 100 !!! When we paid late, their representative kept on bothering us, but when we need back our money, they were not responsive !!!

difficulty in getting reimbursement
              difficulty in getting reimbursement

HSBC/GM Cardgm point redemption

We have been GM card members for 7 years and have accumulated $5, 893 dollars in points toward a GM car. When we decided to claim these towards a new GM vehicle we were told we could only use $1, 000 in cash towards a new vehicle. In order to claim all these points we were told that we would need to purchase 5 vehicles in order to redeem the remainder of points. Why do they allow you to accumulate all these points when we can't redeem them. We will never purchase or recommend purchasing a GM vehicle and we are no longer a GM card member. All other cards let you redeem your points to the full value. We were basically told by GM that it is not their problem that we accumulated that many points. Beware of GM.

HSBC / Aviva (Norwich Union) Bondmis-selling

Many complaints about this bank but anyone had any problems with their mis-selling of the Aviva bond. HSBC are tardy in their responses, claim to have mislaid or can not find emails, never answer straight questions, cut you short on the phone, and give incorrect information.

Letters to senior management just get shifted to more junior staff

[protected]@gmail.com

HSBC Home Loan — they switched my payment plan

The company moved me from a payment plan that was scheduled to get the house paid off sooner by five year...

HSBC Retail Services Yamahabad credit rating

My wife has a HSBC retail services credit card for yamaha.She finally entered a hard hsip program some where round dec 09 after they repeatedly told her no such service existed (??) Her credit score went from almost 700 to below 600 because ther are repeated 90 late marks on her credit score (those 90s really hurt) i have looked through all the statements and my checking account to see these 90 day late marks to find the longest duration from date due to date paid was 67 days at most.date due was 11-04-09 for amount332.00 entered hardship program sometime in late dec. Paid the 120. that wasrequired to pay on [protected] days after last due bill how in the hell due you get 90 days late out of that? guess you dont have to be good at math to work at hsbc . Also bout the 2nd hardship pay we come home and the bike had been repossesed.WTF?! Wifey called and they said they didint recieve 2 months payment so she said she paid them on these 2 days with check # so and so and after an hour of dicken round they were like oh derr our fault our to depts didnt get with each other but you still have to pick up the bike on your own pay out of your pocket the repo fee and then were gonna chatge you a 395 hsbc repo fee on top of that but its our fault. HSBC SHOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS!!! I have not talked to one person in my county or surrounding county thats had a good experience with hsbc.

HSBC — overseas wire transfer delay

Dear, After two years of good relationship between our company and HSBC as one of the horned organization...

HSBC Mortgage Servicesfrustrating experience

I cannot successfully pay HSBC mortgage online. I use to in the distant past. Now I get "error" (Link ER-RC2:025 when I try to submit. Have tried "forgot password" etc., in order to re-set, but without success. So-called "security" has gotten out of hand...seems more like job security by/for techies. Must always call customer service and pay mort. by telephone, or mail-in. Per instructions from cust. ser., I've tried to re-register online; always get warning that I am "already registered." Very frustrating. Couldn't even log into this complaint app..."error!" Hate it!

HSBC Personal Bankingmissapropriated funds

The HSBC personal banking customer service in the UAE is dreadful. And that's being kind. When things go OK (e.g. internet banking) it's fine. But when something goes wrong it is hopeless. Trouble is, no one senior in HSBC is listening and meantime the customer service team cover up for each other passing the buck from one to the other. On 4th November, I transfered US$ 3, 000 from HSBC UAE to HSBC in Indonesia. Someone in HSBC sent the transfer to Malaysia by mistake. It's now 17th November and my funds have not been refunded even though HSBC admit they have made a mistake. In any other international bank (with credibility) as soon as the bank recognised a mistake had been made, the missing funds would have been refunded immediately, and the bank would then undertake a separate investigation to recover the missing amount for themselves. Not HSBC in UAE however. Everyone is covering for everyone else and all you get are multiple complaint numbers and they're always dealing with it, but without any results. The service team are absolutely useless. If anyone has the contact details of service quality global I would like to receive this as I am quite sure they have no idea of what is going on. This is not my only complaint aboout this bank but is the most serious so far

HSBC Credit Card KLverification question and ego attitude

I called hsbc Kl to find out my insurance company name and details. I've been paying my monthly insurance bill via hsbc card. I'm not based in Malaysia. I work in Singapore. My sister help me to handle my credit card payment. I'll just pay her cash. She has moved to china 2 months ago. As per usual the officer will ask a lot of questions to do the verification. One of the question was how do make the payment. And I told her Reza the customer service officer. I said I'm not making the payment and I'm not based here. But I'm still using hsbc card for many years. I I said should be online. She asked which websites. I told her I wouldn't know. I'm not the one who make the payment. Can you ask another question like my mothers name, my birthday or etc. And se still ask the same question. They are making things difficult for me. I'm paying my bill every month and they are not providing any solution to their customers. So I asked for manager his name is Harvard Gary Amban. Same things happened! Same question and ling winded. He only know to apologize and didn't provide me any solution! Can they be more creative with the verification question. I told them I'm not based here and my sister is the one who help me to pay!!! I told him to manage his customer expectation and be more creative with the questions if he customer are not able to answer. I just don't understand why hsbc customer service is so so lousy! I've been holding the cards since 2002. And Gary is definitely not making things easy for me. He us ok when I said when I wanna cancel the card. They are ok to lose their customer. Si thus is what u call u appreciate your customer! We care for you??? Im very upset with the whole thing! Disappointed with e lousy service. Wasted 20mins with the stupid tele-conversation.

• Pe
                              PennyLee Nov 16, 2010

Bank tele officers are just not street smart !

HSBC Bankguitar center credit card

I called HSBC today in regard to my account which is past due. I called today ON MY OWN ACCORD. They did not have to track me down. Here is what happened.
                            I had a promotional 1 year intrest free option on a purchase I had made a little over a month ago. I read the bill to find intrest, penalties, and late charges to my account. As I have said I CALLED THEM. The first woman (Lee)to answer the phone was greeted by me with me saying, "I am a bees with honey type of guys first of all". Then, I went into my concern. I told her that I had NOT recieved a bill from HSBC or Guitar Center. I told her I would remember because(A) I have never missed a payment in 5 years to G.C. and also, the bills are much larger than I remeber. She said, "ok". I let her know of the promo and requested that it be returned back to original status and I will make a payment substantialy HIGHER than was requested. But to please get rid of the intrest and charges. She said, "Mr.Sias, we have your bill here. It was returned to us as a bad address. It was an honest mistake and letr me remove the charges from you. Your bill will now be Nov.15 2010". I said, "cool no problem". She asked me what my address was. I told her that the one she was reciting to me was incorrect. I gave her the right address. She assured me all was good. I was happy.
                            10 minutes later I recieved a phone call from an HSBC rep. (Josh) and he requested my payment which was different from even my bill. I said, "let me stop you Josh, I had already taken care of this and no harm no foul. He was persistent and finally I got upset after 2 to 3 minutes on the phone pleading my already plead case. I did end the phone call by telling him I do not need my hand held and good bye.
                            Finally I was so upset that I took time out of my day to call back and request a manager. OBVIOUSLY, that was not going to happen so ONCE AGAIN, I plead my case to the woman(no name) with a bit of anger in my voice and informed her that I called HSBC on my own to find out what was going on, got it fixed, recieved a phonecall not 10 minutes later requesting payment again even with a different number. I let her know I was really upset and I believe they are being unproffessional now.
                            5:00 pm rolls around. A man by the name of "Rajij" calls. I can barely understand him except the payment request and, "WHAT I INTENDED TO DO ABOUT IT". I really let him have it. I told him that I have never been late on a payment in 5 years . I am NOT some 20 year old kid who buys $1200.00 worth of stuff and skips out.and to stop the phone calls because, I will not think twice about cancelling my account with Guitar center forever. I let him know that if I recieve even one more phone call even to say hello I will sue the hell out of HSBC for harrassment. I also ONCE AGAIN assured them they'd be paid by the end of this week to the middle of next and to GET OFF MY FN' PHONE.
                            That is my complaint.

HSBC Banktrying to close my account without any warning & lock me out of accessing my money!

I have been a customer at HSBC Bank since 2009 and never had a problem with them until today. I opened a checking & savings account online through HSBC Direct (now HSBC Advance). Without notice on Tuesday October 5th, 2010, they placed notes on both accounts saying that they would be closed. This in turn froze my assets in both accounts and deactivated my cards so I couldn't make purchases, deposit or withdraw money from either account. I only found out that my cards didn't work when my check card was declined at a store on Tuesday October 5th.

I went to a branch by my house this afternoon at 2pm to see why my cards weren't working (I didn't know at the time that there was a closure notice on my account) I found out that there was a note on my checking account to have it closed - which deactivated the card associated with it. The local branch rep notified me that there was nothing she could do on her end since I opened my account online, and that I needed to call the customer service number to fix the situation. I called customer service and the first rep I spoke with on the phone connected to the card services department and was told that the card serv. dept. had not deactivated the card and instead the note came from the branch at Union Square (NYC).

**Side note - in late September I attempted to open a business account with HSBC and had worked with a repr at HSBC in the Union Square office. For whatever reason, I wasn't able to provide enough verification and after trying multiple options, both the rep and I agreed to close the business account this past Monday, October 4th.**

I was transfered to a rep at the Union Square branch who notified me that they were not responsible for any notes on my personal accounts, as they had only worked with me for my business account. They did close the business account - but didn't touch my personal accounts. Instead, they instructed me to call back to the customer service number because my accounts (checking & saving) were opened online - so there would be nothing that they could do about the notes.

I called customer service again. As it stands right now, a rep in the Security Dept named Aisha placed a note on my accounts to close them - but did not provide any details as to why they're being closed. I received no written notice, phone calls or emails warning of a pending closure. It was at this point when I was speaking to my fourth or fifth HSBC rep that I was notified that "Aisha" had also placed a closure notice on my savings account as well - preventing me from depositing/withdrawing any funds from either account. HSBC is the only bank I use - so I have no money now.

The Card/Security Dept at HSBC doesn't work extended hours, only 9-5pm, so I can't reach someone until Thursday October 7th. I'm very annoyed because there has been no irregular activity on my account, I'm never overdrawn, so I don't understand why my accounts have been singled out for closure without due cause. Only once has my card been shut off for security purposes and it was because I made a Western Union online transaction this past Spring and I was able to verify the purchase with a rep and have my card restored. Even more frustrating is the fact that these customer service reps who are "reviewing" accounts can maintain anonymity - even so much as not having to give out their work extension numbers so that customers cannot contact them directly but must spend a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes in a phone tree to reach them. At this point, I don't know if I'll be able to get my account restored or when I will receive the money from my accounts if HSBC/"Aisha" chooses to close my account. I literally feel like HSBC is holding my money hostage and am insulted that if they thought there was any impropriety happening with my account that they couldn't contact me directly to resolve it rather than just silently choosing to close my account.