Having problems with Hotels.com?

800 246 8357 (United States)
800 807 6641 (United States)
800 224 6835 (Canada)
1800 11 142 079 (Phillipines)
+1 417 521 0845 (United States)
+44 203 024 8216 (United Kingdom)
+61 280 662 747 (Australia)
+64 99 151 135 (New Zealand)
+43 810 310 803 (Austria)
+32 22 008 524 (Belgium)
+45 43 682 330 (Denmark)
+353 16 569 439 (Ireland)
+31 207 006 039 (Netherlands)
+351 707 201 282 (Portugal)
+41 445 118 477 (Switzerland)
+20 800 844 1089 (The Middle East)
+27 214 277 778 (South Africa)
+852 30 774 856 (Hong Kong)
+65 68 185 638 (Singapore)
+82 234 800 145 (South Korea)
+54 115 354 2374 (Argentina)
+44 203 564 5228 (Other Countries)
5400 LBJ Freeway, Suite 500
Sat24h
Sun24h

Complaints & Reviews

cancellation

In August 2010 I made hotel reservations through hotels.com. Today I called to cancel them only to learn they were non-refundable. I was told this was on my e-mail confirmation. I went back and looked and sure enough it was there. However, I was NEVER told these were non-refundable while booking the reservations or I never would have done it. Being told something is non-refundable after you already paid for it is wrong and unethical. I spent over an hour on the phone tonight trying to speak to a supervisor with no success. I was once put on hold for 20 minutes before I hung up to call back and was disconnected twice due to no answer from a supervisor. I would not reccomend anyone using hotels.com.

• Da
    Danamore May 23, 2011

Hotels.com is a tricky website. I put in certain dates and during the search, the dates defaulted to the wrong dates. I immediately called the hotel which I booked. However, I failed to cancel within the 2 hour limit at the website. I am being charged for their mistake. They will not refund my $241. I asked to speak to a supervisor and the person argued with me and refused to give the phone to the supervisor. They are thieves!

bad business practice

I made on line reservations for $90.00 per night based on Hotels.com photos and descriptions of the hotel. When I got there I was very disappointed. The room was filthy & it smelled + I did not feel secure leaving my car in the parking lot none the less staying there with my family due to the people loitering in the parking lot. I explained the situation with the desk clerk and he informed me that there is nothing that he can do about a refund and I'd have to call Hotels.com.(During all this a woman was checking in with a newspaper coupon for $15.00 less for the same type of room). After 15 minutes of phone calls. Hotels.com would not give me a refund. I explained that I was not staying the night and I want a refund. They would not budge. I refused to give up and called back...Hotels.com said, "We will give you a 50% discount and vouchers worth $45.00 for future bookings". I agreed, and drove to a different hotel that I found in a discount travel guide. ARE YOU READY FOR THIS... When I received my credit card statement they inflated the room charge to $135.00 then gave the 50% discount. I immediately called American Express & disputed the overcharge & I was redeemed. Oh...by the way...I never received any vouchers in the mail. STAY AWAY FROM THESE CROOKS. They should look up the meaning of the word "Guaranteed" like they state in their ads.

AnnKih Oct 25, 2011

On June 8, 2011 we made a reservation through Hotels.com for check in on September 10, 2011 (3 months away). The Cancellation policy states: "Cancellations or changes made before 4:00PM on September 9, 2011 are subject to a hotel fee equal to the first night's rate plus taxes and fees." we understood this to mean that cancellations prior to September 9 would give us our full refund (standard refund policy for hotel reservations), and starting September 9, 2011 (12am) the one day charge would be in effect. We ended up cancelling our reservation prior to September 9, and we were billed $194 (one night fee). We spoke to Hotels.com customer service and we were told that this was the actual Hotel Policy. We then called the hotel, and learned this was untrue. It is Hotels.com that charges the one night fee for cancellation of reservations. We disputed this charge with our Credit Card company (American Express). They were informed by Hotels.com that when customers make reservations and authorize the charge to their credit cards, they are agreeing to the terms and conditions.

We agreed to the terms and conditions stated "Cancellations or changes made before 4:00PM on September 9, 2011 are subject to a hotel fee equal to the first night's rate plus taxes and fees." It is Hotels.com that is implementing the Policy language in an abusive manner.

I conducted a general search of online complaints against Hotels.com, and there are many other individuals who have experienced the same charges. Many customers made reservations, cancelled within minutes, and were charged!!!

If my charge, as one individual was $194. Then I can only imagine the total amount of revenue Hotels.com is collecting by wrongly implementing their policy language.

Watch out for hotels.com they say on the website no penalty for cancellation but they don't mean it because they take it away from you with the small print. You are much better off finding a hotel and getting the room directly from them. Remember hotels.com is a rip off!!!

Tuperdi2 Sep 21, 2010

As a hotel employee, do not book through 3rd parties... If you book through the hotel directly you will get the most accurate information, and all information would be provided to you by an employee of that hotel. 3rd Parties get commission when booking reservations, so of course they will promise you the world. When you arrive at the hotel your stuck to deal with whatever situation the 3rd party puts you in. Don't pay someone to do a job you can do easily...

stay away

Be sure what you are getting. I booked a king-size no-smoking room with hotels.com at the Days Inn in New Braunsfel, Texas. I arrived and was given a smoking room. My wife and I are both allergic to cigarette smoke but I was told there was nothing anyone could do. All of the no-smoking rooms were booked. Hotel.com said they would refund one night but I would have to eat the other night. Hotel clerk says this happens all the time with Hotel.com. I plan on writing every consumer reporting agency possible about Hotels.com. I will never use them again. I have had good luck with Orbits.com.

• Valerie Jul 17, 2008

DO NOT use Hotels.com for your travel arrangements! Read on...

I had to book a hotel in an area I wasn't too familiar with, because my boyfriend was in a wedding there. I thought that Hotels.com would be the perfect solution, since they list different hotels with all of their prices. I thought wrong.

After booking a hotel room with them for the weekend, I received a confirmation email with my confirmation number in it. Assuming all was well, I prepared for my trip. Thank God I woke up the morning of our trip (We were supposed to check in later that night.) and decided to call the hotel to confirm, just because I didn't want to have any problems. The hotel had never heard of me and hence, did not have my reservation. Keep in mind, at this point my bank card was already charged for this reservation by Hotels.com.

I called Hotels.com immediately and demanded to know why the hotel did not know about my reservation. The person I spoke with, while very nice, gave me some excuse about how she couldn't get a hold of the person at her company that I had dealt with before, and so we couldn't find out what went wrong.

Ultimately, she booked me another reservation at another hotel in the area of the wedding. She explained that she needed to "cancel" my first reservation in her system and that I would be refunded for that within 30 days. She then charged me for the second reservation on my same bank card. That in itself was ridiculous, but I needed a hotel for that same night, and I didn't have time to argue. I told her that I couldn't have any problems with this 2nd reservation, because I needed a hotel for a wedding for the weekend. She said that she would personally call the hotel of the 2nd reservation and make sure that the reservation was there. She kept me on hold for 10 minutes, but upon returning to my call, she assured me that the hotel was booked and gave me a new confirmation number for this reservation.

I shouldn't have believed her, but I really didn't think that Hotels.com could screw up a second time. Don't you know, that night I arrived at the new hotel that had been booked that morning for me, and they did not have my reservation! Thank God the people at the hotel were some of the nicest people I had ever met, and after I told them how Hotels.com had never booked my first reservation, the hotel took it upon themselves to call Hotels.com for me and work it out directly with them. They gave us their last vacant room for the weekend. I don't know what I would've done if they had been booked.

The following Monday, upon returning home, I called Hotels.com and demanded to speak with a manager, because I wanted someone to explain to me why I had 2 confirmation numbers and 2 charges on my bank card, and no reservations! They refused to let me speak to a manager, and the agent I spoke with basically blew me off after I told him what had happened. They had no explanation for their faults, and I got no where with them after being on the phone for an hour.

All in all, I expected more from a company as well-known as Hotels.com, but it just goes to show you that some of the larger companies really don't care about their customers at all. My advice: DO NOT use Hotels.com for your travel arrangements. And if for some reason you are forced to use them, make sure that you call your hotel to confirm way in advance.

• Ge
    GeorgeWashingtonDC Apr 22, 2017

Hotels.com has nothing but bad reviews, describing the same horrible problems year after year. It is unbelievable that they remain in business. Search the internet and it is nothing but complaint after complaint, the lowest ratings, worst customer service, no reservations, no refunds, etc.
    Any hotel employee will tell you, do not use hotels.com or any third party service; call the hotel yourself and safe a lot of grief and money.
    DO NOT USE HOTELS.COM

report all hotels.com fraudulent actvities to the better business bureau

This fraudulent company needs to brought to justice. Report all disputes to the better business bureau and get this company dismembered. Hotels.com is not an honest operation. The business is deceptive from its advertisments, to issuing unauthorized charges, and fraudulent refund practices. The posts/reviews are all over and it is the same complaint from travelers near and far. Do not spend one moment comtemplating on whether you should book through these people. Go to where there is honest business, there are better places out there. Although there are shady business operations everywhere, be assured that this is definitely a company you do not want to deal with. You will same yourself the time, money, and peace of mind own the road.

• Re
    Really? Sep 30, 2009

Do you have any facts?

Tuperdi2 Sep 21, 2010

no refund-the worst costumer service ever

We booked a hotel room at Days Inn in Melbourne, Florida for four nights through the website hotels.com. The hotel Days Inn was showing very high rated on the website hotels.com. After arriving, we were given the first room. Room was dirty, used bedding and a big 2.5 inch spider was on the mirrow. The girl on the reception gave us a second room with no reaction on the spider. Same thing. Bedding was used, room was dirty and everything very old and moldy. We woke up every 10 minutes because of a few towing trucks who were waiting on not allowed parking cars to tow them. We decided at 2:00 am to call this company hotels.com to rebook the hotel, trying to get a other hotel. After 15 Minutes discussion and transferring three times they came to the conclusion, that they will not rebook it, they do not move us to a other hotel. We have to pay the four nights for this hotel, but can book a other hotel too, but have to pay it also. They can not rebook a hotel. We are very
disappointed about this what they call customer service. All we wanted was a nice, clean and quiet hotel for our money, what they were showing on their website, but this company decided to collect money without given a service. We would agreed if this company hotels.com would charged us for this one terrible night we already staid and book us then in a other hotel for the last three nights even if the hotel would be cost more. We were checking out at the same night and stayed at a other hotel paid by our own. We would like to get the money for the three nights of not using this dirty hotel back. It can not be that a company can charge money for not using a service.

Damage Resulting = We paid $210.64 and were asking for getting the money back for the three nights we did not used the dirty hotel.

My advice: If you want to book a hotel online, try to find the hotel own website. You get most time better rate then with hotels.com anyway. What I found out.

• Wh
    What were you finking? Sep 18, 2009

I looked on the website, and 85% of customers recommend the place. Looking through the reviews, the worst say that it's cheap and you get what you pay for. But for a 2-star hotel, that's still a pretty good rating. The spider is not a big deal - it's Florida, after all. Probably not something they need to put on the website.

mareenewzealand Apr 11, 2011

I agree with the complainant. Hotels.com has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. They are refusing to honour a confirmed booking that we made two months ago. We are being transferred around from department to department and have been cut off twice. Irrespective of the nature of compain, no one should ever be treated like this. Please, do not do business with this company if you value being treated like a human being. As the hotel employee above says, find your hotel using Hotels.com if you want to, but then, book through the hotel directly.

refund

I made a reservation with bookin hotels.com at a cost of £142.61 for a stay at the jurysinn hotel manchester. I cancelled the booking three days later and recived an email from them saying I would recieve a full refund into my account.

It has now been over 90 days and I have still not received a refund. The customer service I have recieved is appualling. The worst service ever. I have called and emailed them and get nowhere. They state the refund has been made however it has not and I can prove this. They will not let me speak to a manger and continually ask me to call back next week so they can look into it! I can not tell you how frustrating this is. Do not use this company. Do not use this company. Conmen!!!

On a positive I made contact with the jurys inn hotel, manchester who are doing everything they can to assist me in obtaining a refund from this company.. A proffessional company at last!!!

• Ri
    Rita Byrne Sep 27, 2009

We booked our accommodation in May for 2 days at the Corus Hyde Park Hotel in London on the 29th July we received an email stating that they had financial issues with the hotel and that our booking has been cancelled, this is 2 days before we were to fly out from Sydney. I actually phoned the hotel and our name was not registered with them. Booking hotels state that it could take up to 2 months for a refund on our credit card. I have emailed them twice with no reply as yet (now that I have read other complaints about this company it seems that we are not the only one to lose our money). We strongly advise any one NOT to use BOOK IN HOTELS for any hotel bookings.

• Va
    vataf Sep 28, 2009

Hi Guys,
    I've booked the family accommodation at the Rodeway Inn (total of 16 days and US$ 649, 93) and two days before the scheduled date I received exacly the same e-mail of "Sbrain", financial issues, refund in 10 days, bla bla bla...
    We need to make more noise on that, otherwise they'll deceive more people.
    Regards,
    Fabio

• Ha
    Harshad soni Dec 28, 2009

i booked a room for 3 nights in august at ibis centro, milan, italy for my 50th birthday in April 2017 using book in hotels website. Received an email 3 days before the departure saying due to financial issues book in hotes can not meet my reservations and the full amount will be credited in to my credit card account within the next 90 days. I am still waiting for the payment to come through. All the telephone lines are cancelled. If you ring the customer no 02071005621 you get the message that this no is not activated by the owner. there is no answer of any of my emails to them. For all who conerns we should ask our credit card to get this money back and forward them all the details. This co. should be banned completley from doing any business at all on website and person in charge should be brought to justice.

• Fr
    Frank Mesiano May 27, 2010

I made a booking for 2 nights stay at the France Hotel in Amsterdam and paid for by credit card, when we arrived we were told that the booking has been cancelled, I made several emails and attempt several phone calls to a number in Turkey (+90 212 415 5610) with no responce, after reading all the other complains I feel that Book In Hotels is commiting froud in a grand scale and must be legaly stopped

• Me
    merypower Aug 05, 2010

i agree with us. we must do something all together. this is my mail: [email protected] . maybe we can do a comun complain in the police, and with the costumers service of spain . please¡¡¡¡ we must stop this staf¡¡ a try to get back our money

overcharged

I was referred to Hotels.com by a major airline. I have two upcoming trips to Kansas, Salina and Wichita and require hotels. I specifically requested Hilton hotels for both locations and was informed that there was nothing available. They suggested two other hotels that I then booked. To be honest, they very quickly rambled through an explanation of their policy after the reservation was made. However, I subsequently was online booking another hotel for another trip through Hilton's website and thought I would check on the other two trip dates to see if anything had opened up. I found that there were rooms at their hotels in the locations. I called Hotels.com and asked about changing to the Hilton's as I had requested. I was then told they did not represent Hilton in those locations. I asked that they cancel the reservations they made for me and I was informed there will be a $25 per reservation cancellation fee. I pointed out that they miss-represented the service, not available and do not represent are two different things. Had I known they did not represent Hilton, I would never have booked the other hotels. In short, they told me it was my problem, I miss-understood. The cancellation fee will stand. I asked for a supervisor and was told there was not one available. They would have one call me as soon as possible that was two days ago and still no call. NEVER, NEVER use Hotels.com. There are a MIS-SERVICE to the suckers that use them.

• Lo
    Lost my business for now Sep 23, 2012

Did she just call herself a "sucker"? lmao too funny

fraud

We booked a room at hotel in Brussels on 26th June, the rate was taken on the same day from my credit card...

wrong room booked

I made a reservation through hotels.com for a king non-smoking room and when I arrive at the hotel I get a queen smoking. The hotel is completely booked and i can not get a different room.
According to the hotel that was how the reservation was sent over but when I called hotels.com the blame it on the hotel.
Go figure...
Anyway i would not use hotels.com to book a room instead call the hotel directly to get your room reserved this will save the finger pointing.
I am very fustrated and will not use hotels.com again...

• Ha
    Hapibarb Aug 24, 2009

I had a similar problem with a room booked through priceline.com. We booked a room, flight and car rental to Texas. The very same afternoon, I got a call from my son stating all visiting, schools etc. were canceled due to the number of Swine flu cases in the area. I immediately called to cancel and was given a runaround by both the priceline and the hotel. Each blamed the other for not allowing the cancellation. The only one that didn't give me a hard time was the car rental. I finally got the refund to my card but only after many phone calls and many hours of arguments. Never again, call direct from now on.

unauthorized billing

I booked on hotels.com a room for $109.00, just for the heck of it, I called the hotel to find out what they would charge me directly. I found out their regular rate is $99.00. I called hotels.com to request a refund for the difference. Manuel in customer service told me "we don't refund like that." Then he told me that if I cancelled with hotels.com the hotel would still charge me. So I called the hotel and guess what...they said that if I cancelled with hotels.com and rebooked with them I would not be charged. Hotels.com is a scam and their price match policy is utter nonsense. Please don't waste your money.

• Da
    Daniel Jul 02, 2009

annestu Jul 28, 2010

I also booked a hotel with hotels.com .. I did not mean make the reservations thru them, except when I dialed the hotel number on the hotels web site the number connected with hotels.com. I made the reservation. A few days later, and well before the 48 hr check in timeframe I had to cancel my reservation for my Marine son was injured in Afghanistan and this changed all our plans. I called the hotel to cancel, called hotels.com looking for refund which they charged 100% immediately to my visa. I called four times, I begin this process on July 3rd, it is not July 28th - I have had to have my financial institution become involved to dispute the charge - I about to submit a claim with the Attorney General's office, (this route has helped me in the past concerning unfair business practices). Don't use hotels.com. Should you be automatically routed to them, hang up, try the hotel again, book directly with the hotel. There are no deals and only huge aggrevation with hotels.com

• Ca
    Call Collect Jul 12, 2011

I booked over the phone via hotels.com quoting me $115.49 all taxes inclusive. When I got to the hotel they were charging customers $90+taxex - a few dollars cheaper. I later got my credit card bill and found out I was charged $147.46! I called hotels.com and asked for the call recording and they said they are unable to provide it to me. I am filing a complaint against these idiots as they are unable to prove that I had accepted to pay $147.46. HOTELS.COM SUCKS AND THEY ARE LIARS.

fraud and scam

I booked a hotel in Harligen Texas and upon arriving at the hotel on the date intended we were advised that we were a "no show" two nights prior. Our credit card had been charged and we were required to pay again for the same night that was paid out to Hotels.com. We contacted the company at the number provided and were told firstly that they didn't make an error. They said they would call the hotel and put us on hold for 30 minutes (all the while listening to the most irritating canned music - designed to get you to hang up I'm sure), came back on the phone and said they could not get a hold of the hotel even though they had the number and we were standing in front of the clerk at the hotel. We were then cut off the line. I called back two more times with exactly the same result only speaking with someone I suspect was in Mumbai, India. I wrote to the company and after several days received a reply that they had recognized that an error had been made and that they would supply us with Hotel Bucks. I had requested a credit to our credit card and they refused. I then disgruntledly accept their offer to at least recoup some of the funds were we out. Six weeks went by - no hotel bucks. I contacted them again and they said that I had not wished to receive them! After another long discussion they advised that they would put a "rush" on the $80.00 hotel bucks offer and I should expect to receive them within the next two weeks. Five more weeks go by and I receive a $20.00 hotel bucks coupon that I suspect is not worth the paper it is printed on. Whatever you do...do not give your credit card to these fraudulent people. This is a scam company and even one of the employees I spoke with in the numerous conversations agreed that this was a very poor way of doing business and he was not hopeful for me!! Beware. Hotels.com via Expedia is a FRAUD.

awful experience

Hotels.com has always in the past offered fair and attractive accommodation offers. But my last experience has left me with a bitter taste.

Today I attempted to book a 3 night stay in Minneapolis. When I input the data, hotels.com suggested a very nice property, one that was within walking distance of the place where I planned to visit and one with nice amenities.

When I attempted to book the property, I offered both a room with 2 double beds or 1 king bed..however I was not given the option of selecting which room I wanted. Because I was traveling with a non familymember, it was important to select the 2 double beds rooms.

So I called hotels.com. The representative was helpful and was able to pull up the accomodations but she was unable to view the same rate I was seeing on my Internet screen. Her rate was $30.00 more per night than what I was being displayed.

She asked me to send her a screen copy of the rates that were being displayed on my computer, and I did that. And even though I did that, she said she could not honor the rate that was shown on my computer, and she could only offer the rate that was displayed on her screen. I thanked her and said I would complete the reservation on my own (since she could not lower the rate).

As I progressed through the booking screens the rate again rose another $30/night. Now what was originally an acceptable rate had now risen by $60/night and was unacceptable.

So I did not complete the reservation. I called the hotel direct and booked the property at the original discounted rate first shown on the hotels.com pages.

Just a warning to anyone that uses hotels.com. check your final rate...i was appalled at what was offered to me for the actual reservation, and I was able to get the same property at a significantly lower rate by simply calling the property direct.

• Cl
    clavaoporhotelsdotcom Mar 30, 2010

I went to San Antonio a couple of weeks ago for my kids' Spring Break. We drove from Dallas to San Antonio and stayed near Sea Wold. I made my reservations through Hotels.com for a room with two queen size beds. When I got there past midnight, with two kids, 9 and 10 (the 9-year-old being special needs) very tired I found out the only room available was with one king size bed. The hotel was full and there was nothing they could do for me since I didn't book through the hotel and unsed Hotels.com instead. I called Hotels.com and explained that not only I reserved a room with two queen beds, I also asked them to note that one of my kids was special needs and I needed specifically what I paid for, two beds. They couldn't do absolutely anything!!! Not even find me another hotel because everything was sold out since it was spring break. ALL I ASKED WAS WHAT I PAID FOR!!!

Fortunately the hotel front desk attendant was wonderful, even though she didn't have any more rooms she found us a roll away bed and did everything she could to help us out. She explained that whenever someone books a room using a "third party" like Hotels.com, they only have to honor the fact that "a room" was booked, not necessarily the type of room. They didn't have to garantee a two queen bed room, they'd only do that if I would've booked directly through the hotel chain (in this case Holliday Inn). In addition, the hotels don't give points to the hotel chain "rewards program" because it wasn't book through them.

Lesson learned, DO NOT USE HOTELS.COM and be very careful when using a third party to book anything in order to save money...you get what you pay for (and in my case I didn't even get that!!!). And don't forget to always ask questions!!!

bad customer service - no price guarantee

Hotels.com has horrible customer service! I will never use this site again. It offers a price match...

Bad business practice

I needed accomadation in a hotel in paris close to eurosdisney. After two days the hotel requested was confirmed . I chose the hotel after it had been suggested to me by fellow travellers. The hotel was Elysee Hotel val d'Europe. As soon as it was confirmed I bought my airline tickets for all the family. Now just one day after all was confirmed HotelClub.com have sent me another e mail saying that the confirmation has been cancelled.
I find this behaviour offensive and ridiculous! Surely this is not the way to do business and treat customers.

rip off

After an hour on the phone with 3 "customer care" people I'm too exhausted to type much but want people to know that Hotels.com is beyond unprofessional and I HIGHLY discourage using them. After cancelling a reservation 6 weeks prior to the initial date of arrival, I received an email from hotels.com with a weather update in my arrival city. It alarmed me that they had not properly canceled the reservation. I called hotels.com to confirm that they had indeed canceled the reservation and they claimed to have "no record" of the cancellation. They charged me the full hotel rate (and this was a $400-night hotel). After speaking with the 3rd level of supervisors I was essentially told I was "stupid" for not having printed a copy of the cancellation confirmation & saved it. Indeed, I won't make that mistake again. The woman (Mary) was tactless and uncaring and utterly refused to try and correct the situation. I then called the hotel and the reservations manager graciously canceled the reservation with no penalty. I am still shocked and reeling at the utter disregard hotels.com showed for my situation. I am back to using a travel agent.

• Go
    Gonzo Aug 19, 2009

Recently I hade made reservations at a hotel through Hotels.com. Everything seemed right till we reached the hotel. I had booked for a non-smoking room because my wife is asthmatic. When we reached the hotel the clerk at the check in counter told us that there were only smoking rooms available because they had to do some remodeling and that they had notified Hotels.com about it and asked them to notify all the customers who had booking with them. I was really annoyed because hotels.com told us nothing about this. I called up Hotel.com to cancel my reservation and that I wanted my money refunded. When the supervisor came on the line he told me that the money will not be and cannot be refunded because they had already paid the hotel he did not give me a chance to speak he just hung up on me. When I asked the hotel if they were paid they said that they did not receive any such payment and this is not a new thing with Hotels.com. I was really ripped off and could do nothing about it. I will never use hotels.com to again and make sure that no one I know does because they are not gonna leave any one and surely fool everyone that believes in them.

• Ho
    HotinVAUS Aug 23, 2009

The hotel lied to you. When you book through Hotels.com or Expedia.com, they charge your credit card whatever the agreed on price is, then, they take out their fees. When the reservation reaches the hotel there is a preloaded credit card for the hotel to charge. The amount preloaded is what is left after the fees are paid. Hotels have the option to charge the credit card the day the guest checks in or when they check out, regardless of when it is done, they have been paid because there is a reservation there, under your name, with a credit card to pay for the room. Expedia won't refund you because the hotel won't refund or cancel the room. I highly recommend anyone to not use those websites, not only are you putting your credit card along with all of your info out there, you can probably get just as good a rate if you call the hotel directly or go to the hotel website and book that way. Most hotels participate in a buy now and save 15% on standard rooms, but be absolutely sure of your trip, as these are also non cancellable and no refund, but like I said if you are 100% sure of your trip, that is the way to go, just be sure you call the hotel and ask for a receipt after the charge has been made, they can mail or email from most properties. At least you won't be paying someone else to make a reservation for you!

• Cn
    cnguye713 Sep 27, 2009

The exact same thing happened to me, only I did not catch it early enough. I did not cross-check with the hotel itself and trusted that hotels.com did process my refund accordingly. I checked back on the refund status after one billing cycle because it has not appeared on my statement only to find that the refund never went through. My refund cannot be honored even if the mistake was on their part for being negligent. It was my first and last experience with them.

no customer service

This is the letter I sent to hotels.com after spending over an hour on their customer service line, being...

scam and lies

I am of European nationality and living in France. I have not been in the US for more than 10 years, nor do I plan to do so in the near future, and therefore I certainly won't make a hotelbooking in the US. So I was very much surprised to discover a charge on my credit card accounts from IAN Travel Services, dated 12-08-2008 for an amount of 1657, 36 in dollars, concerning a hotelbooking in the US. All my other charges are always in euro's, so I instantly presumed some form of of fraud. I called my credit card company and reported the charge as fradulent and immediately closed my account. Unfortunately, due to circumstances, there were more than 30 days past by, before I discovered the fraud, so I won't be compensated by the insurance of my credit card company.

The reason of filing my report is to make clear that, where it concerns Hotels.com - IAN Travel Services, you don't need to make an internet booking, in order to to be charged fraudulently and consumers should be aware that that this credit card fraud is a worlwide problem.

• Po
    Posh Jun 08, 2009

Whoever you are I believe you have book your reservation online. Ian is an affiliate of Hotels.com a nd most reservation done online are Ian accounts. I also believe you have book the reservation yourself without checking all the details. Default currency of the website is in USD so you have to switch it to Euro. It is easy to pass judgement to other people but sometimes we just have to think and investigate before we assume anything.`

Mat C. Apr 24, 2011

I have booked several night through hotels.com in order to get the free night but after the 9th night they decided not to give me credit. I have booked hotesl three time throught them but they did not give me credit. I tired to call to the customer service. Someone in Phillipine answere the phone and tried to tell me that night I booked was not throught hotesl.com. Once I told them that I have reservation confirmation and credit card bill they hung up on me. Same experience was repeated by three different operator. I came to the conclusion it was official policy to hang up if you do not have answers.

• Cf
    CFunk Sep 25, 2013

Hotels.com promises the lowest rate and discounts but charged me $100 more than the hotel would have charged. They refused to match the price because I had already checked in. This site is a total scam! Makes the hotel look bad too... I was expecting a much nicer place because it was so expensive! Avoid these guys at all costs.

bad customer service

My flights was cancelled because hurricane IKE was about to hit Houston; in the process of changing my...

scammers

Hotels.com has been scamming people since they first opened up. Paying their employees only 9.00 to 9.90 an...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices