Handyman Club of Americafrustrating and unauthorized membership!

My husband recently received unsolicited mail from the Handyman Club of America. We did not sign up for anything from this company. We just received an official notification saying they were going to take us to a collection agency for past due membership. The letter has no contact information for the company, nor could we find any way to contact them on their website. This is extremely frustrating and should be illegal!

Mary Butters Mar 19, 2007

I just received a second "Delinquent Account" collection notice from John Wilson in Account Services with the Handyman Club of America. I never authorized such a membership and now they are threatening me! Unlike some other complaints I've read on line, my "Base Life Member Fee" is $359! I would NEVER have authorized such a commitment.

• Mi
    Mike Johnson Mar 24, 2007

Handyman Club of America. I just rec'd a bill in the mail 3-24-07 for 'Handyman Club of America' membership dues of $24.00. I did not sign up for this service or the associated magazine. From looking at the other posts the same scam is going on all over. No contact information for the company on the invoice or on the internet.

• Na
    Nancy Sykes Mar 27, 2007

I just received a bill from Handyman Club and don't have a clue as to who they are. The bill is for $24.00, and the bad part is I have search the internet and can't find a phone number any where. What kind of busy sends an invoice with no contact number.

• Na
    Nancy Sykes Mar 27, 2007

For all those who have received invoices from Handyman Club and didn't order anything you can call them at 1-800-209-9606, it took me an hour or more to find a phone number and I wanted to give it to whom ever need it. They cancelled my subscription immediately (keep in mine that I didn't order a subscription) Good luck.

• Ed
    Edward P. Schaefer Mar 28, 2007

Just like other folks Handyman Club of America sent me a bill. Thanks to an earlier e-mailer I used his 800# reached the club and cancelled. Great site and thanks to your earlier emailer.

• Be
    Ben Chandler Apr 24, 2007

Handyman Club of America. I too just rec'd a bill in the mail 4-16-07 for 'Handyman Club of America' membership dues of $24.00. I did not sign up for this service or the associated magazine. From looking at the other posts the same scam is going on all over. No contact information for the company on the invoice or on the internet.

• Cj
    C.J. Grindstaff Apr 25, 2007

We just received a bill also from Handyman Club of America for the amount of $24.00 today, 4-25-07. We did not order this magazine. We have received 2 issues so far and thought maybe a relative got this magazine for my husband as a gift. Now that a bill has arrived, clearly it isn't a gift but a scam. We will be calling the 800 number which was so kindly posted here to complain and cancel the membership which we didn't sign up for.

• Ro
    Robert L. Oliverius Apr 25, 2007

Why do I have two membership numbers? When I first joined the Club, I was given a number of 06933877. When I became a Life Member, I was given a number of 30494506. Everything I receive from you comes under the 06933877 number and I keep getting forms and requests to joining the Life Member Group. I have called several times and the person I talked to said they would take care of it. I have no complaint but I would like to get this straightened out.

I enjoy the Club and think it is great.

Robert L. Oliverius

• Pa
    Paul Busby Apr 30, 2007

And try to find a Phone number to contact them!!! This Is BS!!!

• Wi
    William Haas May 04, 2007

I voluntarily signed up and then changed my mind. I couldn't find a phone number and the other one listed on this site did not work for me. I did receive another mailing asking for payment after I wrote cancel on the bill, but this one had a phone number: 1-800-243-7679 it is in service 7:30am - 6:00 pm CST according to the mailing. Just wanted to pass this along. The gentleman on the phone was very polite and immediately canceled my membership for me (or he said he did, I will repost if I get anymore bills). He asked why I wanted to cancel my membership and I told him that everything I saw on the internet said it was a scam and he said he was sorry to hear that - no static, no complaints, no denial, just politely canceled my membership.

• Ra
    Randy Canady May 08, 2007

I'm suppose to be a life member, i don't get any mailing or free trail offers any more. I guess the boss is somewhere in mexico living good. Haven't gotten the magazine in a long long time.

• Jm
    J M May 08, 2007

Handyman Club of America
    12301 Whitewater Dr
    Minnetonka, MN 55343

contact Member Services at 1-800-243-7679 weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Central Time. You may also send an e-mail to [email protected]
    They are owned by a parent company

contact us
    Want to contact us for a business proposal? For employment information? For a general comment or question? We'd like to hear from you. Use the appropriate link below to direct your inquiry.

Corporate

Map link

Directions From Minneapolis/St.Paul International Airport
    1. Leaving the airport follow 55W towards Minneapolis
    2. At the junction of 55W and 62, follow 62 WEST
    3. Stay on 62 WEST into Minnetonka to CLEARWATER DR.
    4. Turn RIGHT (North) on CLEARWATER DR.
    5. Turn RIGHT on WHITEWATER DR.
    6. NAMG is the first building on the right.

Directions From North
    1. Take 494, going SOUTH until you get to 62 EAST
    2. Stay on 62 EAST into Minnetonka to CLEARWATER DR.
    3. Turn LEFT (North) on CLEARWATER DR.
    4. Turn RIGHT on WHITEWATER DR.
    5. NAMG is the first building on the right.

Directions From Downtown, Minneapolis
    1. Take 394, going WEST until you get to 494 SOUTH
    2. Once on 494 SOUTH, continue on until you get to 62 EAST
    3. Stay on 62 EAST into Minnetonka to CLEARWATER DR.
    4. Turn LEFT (North) on CLEARWATER DR.
    5. Turn RIGHT on WHITEWATER DR.
    6. NAMG is the first building on the right.

• Jm
    J M May 08, 2007

Sorry about the comment abuse - I found another number.

12301 Whitewater Dr
    Minnetonka, MN 55343-4104
    (952) 352-7040

• Ga
    Gary Woodward-Smith May 12, 2007

Thanks for posting such reviews. I have just received my unsolicited mailing from the "Handyman Club of America". Please teach all your younger family members (especially those using computers) that "if it seems to be too good to be true, it is". That is something that everyone needs to think about before being brought into a scam.

• Ca
    Cathy Haas May 15, 2007

I have been sent numerous bills for 2 items that were returned . I have written this company and explained this to them numerous amounts of times in the past five months. But yet they still bill me. My advice is to stay away from this club. It is not all it is cracked up to be and IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT USUALLY IS.

• Pa
    Patrick Barnwell May 16, 2007

I got a invoice from cooking club of america for 12.00 ... sigh ... get ready phone!

• De
    Debra Tilstra May 21, 2007

We have been life time members of the Handyman Club for many years and to date have never had any problems with them. We get their magazine on time and really enjoy it. We are both surprised and disappointed that others have had problems with the Club.

• Do
    Douglas Richardson May 23, 2007

I am a life member and the magazine is ok but a little weak. My problem is they keep sending me their home repair books at $24+ a pop. They say you have six weeks to review the book, but in two weeks another one shows up! The only way to slow down their arrival is to not pay for them for about three months but as soon as you pay for one, one or two more show up. These people must be DESPERATE for money.

• Mr
    MR Jun 10, 2007

I just received a letter to join up. I was considering it; until I saw these postings. Thanks for saving my money.

• Ri
    Rick Jun 13, 2007

Reading some of the above complaints is funny. I've felt the same about the company. I did find a phone number on their website under Terms of Use, about half way down. It's not the correct number for customer service, or disservice, but maybe if enough people call that number, they'll actually post the correct number to call. I can't even find a phone number on their invoices!

If they mail something to you unsolicited, you do NOT have to pay for it. I forget which statute it is, you'll have to research it yourself, something with federal consumer protection laws.

Matthew Bertram Jun 14, 2007

I got the offer in the mail with a notepad, address labels that had my name spelled wrong and a plastic drill bit gauge. I considered joining cuz it's only a dollar a month, but there was a scratch off in the mail that of course said i was the big winner and was going to get a measuring tape, broken drill bit removal set, and a knife. And it says i can cancel and keep the items and get my money back. Sounded too good to be true so i thought i better look it up. Thanks for the comments everyone, I'll go ahead and throw it in the trash. :)

• Ca
    Calvin Bucon Jun 15, 2007

I received advertisement and recycled it. Just to let you know any gifts sent to you in the mail that you did not order may be kept by you and with no obligation, according to the U.S. Postal Service. If you get billed it is Mail Fraud so contact your Postmaster. If enough of you file a complaint the Federal Government will have documentation and prosecute the company. Or you can enjoy any free gifts and do nothing with peace of mind because the company can't do a thing about it and they know it and feed on your fear of not knowing the law!

Matt B Jun 18, 2007

Was anybody else's envelope BRIGHT ORANGE??? Notice all the cheep-graphic hammers and wrenches on the page that explained nothing but all you'll get "for $1 a month!" Kinda looked like some "click & drag" items off of a kids paintshop. It's SCREAMING scam... Or at least a headache!

For future references, if there's no call back number posted in PLAIN SIGHT- DON'T DO IT. They don't want to talk to you and they know you'll be calling.
    Thanks for all of the previous postings. I just got my orange "stop sign" in the mail today. I better not get billed for anything!!!

Matt B Jun 18, 2007

Oh, and kudos to calvin for laying that out. Didn't want to go into all that, but he's correct in all that was said.

• Sc
    Scott Grundy Jun 20, 2007

I signed up for 1 year for $30 thinking I was getting some great tools to try out, I received some precision screwdrivers and some hot shots for your winter gloves to keep your hands warm. So when I got an offer from Handyman club of America to become a lifetime member I said "Hell No" not if you get tools like that and then when I saw the price to join it was $470.00, What's up with that? Almost 2 years later I get a notice from a collection agency demanding $470.00 I just about fell out of my chair. I couldn't find a phone # for HCOA anywhere to dispute this matter so I e-mailed them asking them if they had any records of me signing a contract to be a lifetime member and of course I got no response. Those gutless turds don't even have the balls to provide a number to reach them, that there is a good sign they are a shady organization. I received the collection notice on June 16th 2007 and payment was due on June 20th 2007, I have contacted my lawyer and he is going to clear things up with these A-Holes.

• Sc
    Scott Grundy Jun 21, 2007

Thanks William Haas for posting the number to call Handyman Club Of America, I just called a few minutes ago and the women claims that my membership was already canceled. I still have a notice in front of me from their collection agency, I am going to call them now to make sure everything is clear.

Jojo Anthony Jun 29, 2007

I totally agree. Except that I did call and cancel the $24.oo membership that I never ordered and here it is a month later and I am getting a final notice for collections. This company is crap!!!

• Bi
    Bill C. Jackson Jul 01, 2007

Handyman Club of America is threatening to turn me over to a collection agency for membership dues for a cub I never joined.

Beware, this is scam!

• Da
    David Jurado Jul 05, 2007

My name has been assigned to a collection agency asking for 24 dollars for membership fees. I do recall receiving this junk mail enclosed was a drill gauge. Woo Hoo what am I gonna do with this piece of crap. I am infuriated that I received a bill by a collection agency and now my credit is at stake. I will be notifying a lawyer and look forward to closing the doors on this scam.

• Ga
    Gary Glass Jul 16, 2007

This company keeps sending me letters demanding payment for a membership that I canceled in May 2007. I am really tired of the persistent letters that keep coming and demanding money. I have not received anything from them that constitues a debt with them of any kind.

• Ji
    Jim Dunlap Jul 28, 2007

I started receiving bills from Handyman Club of America for a membership I never requested. I have contacted them to cancel, told them that I never requested membership, and I keep getting bills. Today I received a "Collections Referral Notice."

This company is a rip off if ever there was one. I am going to take this latest notice to the Post Office and file a complaint. I hope others will too. If enough complaints are received perhaps the Post Office will go after them for mail fraud.

• Ka
    Karen Aug 08, 2007

I too have been duped by this company and was sent a collection letter from RMCB. I called 1(800)666-8097 which was listed on RMCB website and spoke to a customer service girl and explained what was going on (and mentioned this complaint site) and was told she would delete the bill and I would not receive further collection letters. I hope this works!

• Bj
    B. Juli Aug 28, 2007

I can't seem to get them to stop sending bills, delinquent notices or the magazines. I have NEVER ordered anything from this organization but can not find a phone number. Thanks for the comments i received on this site. I will try and hope to have good luck.

• Ba
    Barbara Maupin Sep 04, 2007

We signed up for two years and have received only two magazines in about six months. We are suppose to have access to their website which we cannot find any information for their website nor their website address. They are a fraud.

mark herbert Sep 04, 2007

I sent handyman club of America $24.00 for membership two months ago and haven't ever received any thing. They cashed my check.

mark herbert Sep 04, 2007

I sent $24.00 to handymanclub of america two months ago and haven't received a magazine or anything.

• Bo
    Bob Johnson Sep 07, 2007

Lawrence Okrend, the president of the club, can be reached at his home at (763) 509-1898. This information along with his home address for mailing unwanted items to, can be found at zabasearch.com.

• Su
    Suzanne Banyai Sep 11, 2007

I don't know if this is the right place to contact, but why can't I open the Handyman web site. I could before now all of a sudden I can't. This is the only place I found to contact somebody. Thank You

• Ju
    Jules Rabalais Sep 11, 2007

I too got spammed by a sleazy e-mail ad got trapped for about 20 magazines. All have been receptive and cancelled except
    Handyman, which is a division of History Channel.com
    Try burning them with e-mail and then the handyman will stop the phony billing.
    The collection agency under law cannot sue anyone, all they can do is send notice and make empty threats. They make 50% of the money owed. Make them use it up with letters.
    P.S. Handyman Club of America just hung up on me after waiting a long time. Now is the time for History Channel,com
    Jules rabalais

• Re
    Rebecca Thomas Sep 12, 2007

I have no complaint with this company at this time but i did look it up on Better Business Bureau. it pretty much said the company is okay and that they have tried to deal with everything. this club is on of about 5 or so that are under a company called:
    North American Membership Group Inc.
    12301 Whitewater Dr.
    Minnetonka, MN 55343-4104
    Phone 592-988-9333
    Fax 592-988-7499
    website www.namginc.com
    i suggest that anyone wanting to know more look it up on the BBB site and or talk directly with the company above.