HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com Logo

HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com

Having problems with HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com?

12 Cadillac Drive, Suite 230
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

unlawful harassment

I made the mistake of subscribing to the Handyman Club of America. They promised all kinds of things for free but at best they were trinkets! I paid them on August 3rd, 2007 $12 via VISA credit card. Within days, I got a letter thanking me for agreeing to a life-time subscription. I have made more than a dozen calls each time I was told that I would not receive any more invoices.

Soon after I started to receive collection calls. I kept repeating myself with all of the above, yet the calls and letters kept coming. Finally, last night, June 18th, 2008 (less than one year from the time of my $12 payment for one year) I got another call from someone claiming to calling about the Handyman Club debt. I have caller ID and the telephone number [protected] which is located in upstate NY.

When I called the number a recording came on and told me that the I have been forwarded to voice mail and that the person at that number is "unavailable". Then the message comes on that says that the "mail box is full" and cannot accept any other messages.

A friend of mine is an attorney and he called Handyman and after being placed on hold for about 40 minutes spoke to a woman by the name of Wendy. Wendy said that she wasn't the person to speak to and that if my friend held on, she would get someone. Being on hold for over an hour, Wendy came back and said that if my friend held on some more she "might be able to find someone to talk to him". My friend, acting in my behalf told her that he would wait five more minutes. Seven minutes passed and she never got back on the line so he hung up.

Based upon my searching the Internet I found posts that a company called RETRIEVAL MASTERS CREDITORS a/k/a RETRIEVAL MASTERS CREDITORS BUREAU INC a/k/a AMERICAN MEDICAL COLLECTION AGENCY located at 2269 Saw Mill River Rd, # G1, Elmsford NY [protected], [protected], [protected], has at some point handled collections for Handyman.

I spoke to a man who identified himself as the "Chief Operating Officer" who acknowledged that his firm did and continues to do collections for Handyman. I gave him my name and he stated that my "account is not placed with his company". I then asked him if to his knowledge any other company was handling the collections for Handyman and he replied in the negative.

I then sent Handyman an email advising them that should I be contacted in any manner I would sue! Within 2 hours I received another call, this time from a woman who refused to give her name, refused to say whether or not she worked directly for Handyman or a debt collection agency. The caller ID information for her call said "RESTRICTED".

I plan to follow through and file complaints with the attorney general in my state (VT) as well as in MN where Handyman is located. It should be noted that the parent company of Handyman has many different "clubs" that all apparently operate under the same modus operant of making offers for merchandise, but providing at best "trinkets".

I recommend that anyone else having a problem contact me at [protected]@yahoo.com because I have an attorney willing and able to bring a class action lawsuit against these fraudulent companies!

• Ti
    Tim LeStrange Jul 07, 2008

I, too, have fallen victom to this fraudulent, bogus, so called company. Just today I received a letter marked "DELINQUENT" in big bold letters. I do not know where the hell this company got my name and address. I have not joined any clubs nor would I ever. This letter today does have an 800 number at the right hand corner that appears to have been typed in afterwards. It is barely legible. I called the number and never got thru to a human. I work very hard for my money and I pay the bills I truly owe. They can threaten me all they want to, I will never pay them one single cent!!! Has a matter of fact, I feel they owe me for all the threats and aggrevation they continually cause me. From what I have read from other victoms, this company is relentless and will not quit. Let's all join together and fight this bogus company and their illegal practices.

Tim LeStrange

• Je
    Jeff Nelson Nov 14, 2008

I received a letter (BILL) threatening me with sending the bill to a collection company for $34.00 for a 2 year membership. Only one problem I never heard of the Handyman Club of America. I called the phone number talk to a lady on the phone who said they buy mailing lists. Then she started going thru her sales pitch about the company and wanting to send me a free magazine so I could check out what they have to offer. So I said, why would I want anything from you after you sent me a threatening letter that you r going to send me to collection for something I never signed up for. I ask are you crazy!? I said what I want is you to disappear and never send me anything again. Don’t cal me nothing!! She immediately started closing my account (so she said). I told her I am keeping this letter and marking all this down.

Bottom line is they are buying mailing lists and sending out threatening letters for collection. They are committing fraud to get you to send them money.

• Cl
    Claude Wilson May 19, 2010

To whom this may concern, I have reviewed a numbers of complaints, some of them were pretty inaccurate in their statements! I, too was a victim of fraudulent by Handyman Club of America, I have paid all dues and met all my obligations however I have not received all of the items that were promised to me over the phone and I had been insistent over the items ever since the fall of 2008 and failed to get satisfaction of their answers as to why they have not kept their promises, well, I may as well say good bye to all of monies that were paid of over $500 including books and few tools that were sent to me were overstated of their values of which one can purchase for much lower like at Harbor Freight, etc. I have received numbers of untested tools because I have no other means to testthem without those tools that were supposed to come first such as router then router bits afterward and cordless drill then drills bits, etc. I am 78 years old and very much active in woodworking projects also have array of tools to use but they are of 1950! Claude Wilson, VA

membership dues

I filled out something about receiving tools for free to test out and use and then evaluate. The tools were...

gifts

When I subscribed to this magazine/club they offered incentives consisting of gas rebates and a few small...

got nothing for money I paid.

I paid the dues for my husband to join the Handyman Club of America which I believe at the time was $12.00. Well upon recieving nothing from them suddenly we were getting this other letter saying "cash this $12.00 check and you will be in the lifetime club". Well who in their right mind is going to do that when the lifetime club is $325.00. Are they crazy or not really a ligit company. At this point I am thinking both. First they send me nothing for my $12.00 and then they think I am gonna pay them a hell of a lot more money for nothing also. I think you guys should do something about these people who are scamming people out of money. $12.00 might seem like not a lot of money to some people but to me I could buy diapers or something for my daughter with that money.

• Je
    Jeff D Griffin Apr 07, 2008

I have been a member of HMC for about 10 years now. At the very least you should have gotten an issue of the monthly magazine for your twelve dollars. They do sometimes get a little "aggressive" with the life membership deal but other then that I have enjoyed my membership and my monthly magazines. Have you tried calling customer service?

• Do
    Doinky-Doink Aug 29, 2009

OMG, you are a plant! The company had you find this guy's posting and say something so stupid as "have you tried calling customer service?" Get real dude; this company is a scam to get people to join up and pay up! No way am I going to hand over my hard earned money for trinkets and junk. BTW, from what other people have said, the "Company" is a little more than aggressive! They outright lie to try to get people's money. Only a feeble-minded doinky-doink would pay out money for their junk, so go back to your bosses at HMC and tell them where they can stick their brand new screwdriver. And leave the rest of us alone!!!

• Cu
    CustomerServiceDept Aug 29, 2009

I am sorry. For your troubles I am authorizing a shipment of 20 screwdrivers.

• Re
    Reviewer37755 Jan 06, 2016

I am a Life Member 30565743 and have not received a magazine since the fall of 2014. My name is Danny Judy. I paid for life membership and promised a long list of items and all of a sudden I stopped receiving anything. I was also a tester. I received one item to e=test and completed the required paperwork and have since heard nothing. What gives??

unable to stop sending products

I have asked Handyman to stop sending me things over 2-3 months ago and still getting some. I received a home...

over zealous billing!

My Paid subscription is good until 4/09/08. Yet I have received no less than four prior invoices that started coming in as early as December "07" indicating that a payment was due. Today 3/14/08 I received a bill stating that my payment is now overdue. If I make my payment now I can avoid suspension. They claim you need to pay early so that you can continue service without disruption. (Here is what really happens:)
I ran into the same billing blitz last year when my paid subscription was good thru 4/21/07. I paid a little early on 4/09/07 and lost subscription time by doing so. What little enjoyment I get from the magazine is lost with the battle of the aggressive invoicing. I will be calling the 800 number on Monday.

Jack Hart Jan 25, 2010

I have to agree with the above complaints...except they send me very expensive books that they expect me to pay $30 each. The books don't have any information that you can't get free at Home Depot. I didn't ask for the books. Am now receiving threatening letters. This is definately a scam outfit, and I intend to tell the bookstores that carry their magazine.

Jack Hart, Jacksonville, FL

illegal fees I have company ph #

i was charged and turned over to collections because of this illegal scam i got info in the mail 2 years ago and i did not repond but kept getting junk from them. i wrote cancel subscription never ordered this on at least 15 mailings by this scam company. took me 3 months to find phone number i hope this helps all invoved in this illegal scam!!! [protected]. call and tell them you want this cancelled and letter in writing from them and all three credit bureaus, and they will comply!! good luck!!

• Dr
    Dr Fulop Jun 29, 2009

I am a fee paying member of “Handyman Club of America”. I was lured into membership by promising services that I never received except the free Handymen Magazine. In January, my friend and I got an unsolicited mail from the “Handyman Club of America” labeled “Free Gift Inside”. My friend throw it into the garbage, I opened it to find a junk calendar priced $16.99 with an added $4.99 S+H, totaling $21.98. Some free stickers were though included. Although we mailed this garbage back to them, they started soliciting the money anyway by sending every month an invoice. I sent a written complaint, similar to this, which was never answered. Recently I received a written notice that My “account” is “Seriously Delinquent” and if I don’t pay, they start a collection procedure. They even gave me a collection file number. Since I have recorded every step of their action as well as my responses, I am going to sue this company to collect compensation and prevent such scam activities in the future. Dr. Fulop

threatening to hand me over to collection!

I received an Official Notification from Handyman Club of America threatening to hand me over to a collection agency for past due membership. I have no business with these people and surely do not want any membership with them. There are no contact # so I can reach them by phone. They also do not respond to emails sent via there contact page online.

• He
    Hernan Zaragoza Feb 11, 2008

I see how im not the only one to complain about this club. Please if anybody resolved the problem email me and tell me how the problem was fixed.

• Se
    Sean Ericson Feb 15, 2008

Dear Sean,

Thank you for your email. We are sorry that you have decided to discontinue your membership. We have canceled your account today. Please disregard any billing notices you may have received.

Brandon

Member Services

this is what I got after my email to them with in a few hours..... We will see

[email protected] is the email to use.

• Ca
    Carlos Feb 09, 2009

I am in the same situation with this people. I just received a tread about sending me for collection. How can we resolve this matters????

unsolicited membership!

I received an unsolicited offer of membership which I did not respond to. Approximately 2 weeks after their first mailing I received a bill for $24.oo for a 2-year subscription/membership. I wrote on the first bill that I had not requested their offer, and to stop their mailings. I have continued to receive billings, and today received a notice threatening collection and damage to my credit rating.

I am mailing my final notice to Handyman Club of America that I did not request their offer and am mailing a copy to my state Attorney General's office.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

• Ge
    George Langberg Jan 19, 2008

I was "invited" to test some tools and to become a member and was given a means to accept membership but no way to refuse. i was told that I had been recommended because I was such an outstanding handyman although everyone who knows me knows that I'm the exact opposite. Furthermore, I live in a retirement manor whose staff includes a maintenance crew which handles all minor maintenance tasks.

Jane Desaulniers Feb 08, 2008

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

W. Sturgis Mar 11, 2008

Call their customer service number @ 800-243-7679 OR 952-936-9333 and ask to have your subscription canceled.

• Wi
    William Henke Mar 18, 2008

I received an unsolicited subscription. Of course I didn't pay. A few weeks later I received a second bill threatening me with a collection agency if I did not pay for a 2 year subscription @ $24.00 within the next fourteen days. Just when I was going to give in and pay I decided to look into the company a little more. I wasn't surprised to learn others have had the same experience. I think this company buys mailing lists, sends them all a magazine, then a bill, hoping most will just pay. But then uses terror tactics on the rest by means of a collection agency. I too intend to contact my Attorney General.

unauthorized membership!

My son who is now 20 has been hassled by this club for 4 years, and now has been turned over to a collection agency. He has never agreed to be a life member, and is being billed for over $300.00 for things we never received, or consented to. What can we do in this situation? Plz advise smb!

Michael Nelson Dec 15, 2007

What can be done they just start sending magazines then a bill without any one ordering it this is against the law... How can they collect!!! There is no contact info!!!

• Wi
    William E. Hendrickson Jan 11, 2008

I have received a Official Notification letter from HANDYMAN OF AMERICA stating that my membership dues is three months overdue. I never joined HANDYMAN. They also state that if they do not receive payment within the next 10 days, they will refer this to a licensed collection agency. I have gone to their website but see NO way of contacting them. The letter was signed by K. Pope--Treasurer??? The sad thing is, I have seen the Handyman magazine and was considering subscribing!!

• Pa
    Paula Gudger Feb 13, 2008

This is a horrible company. How can you expect people to pay for something they never ordered in the first place! And then start legal action!!! I'm reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.

charles fredericks Feb 18, 2008

My husband recently received unsolicited mail from the Handyman Club of America. He did not sign up for anything from this company. We just received an official notification saying they were going to take us to a collection agency for past due membership. The letter has no contact information for the company, nor could we find any way to contact them on their website. This is extremely frustrating and should be illegal!

• Ke
    Keith English Apr 08, 2008

I received a membership offer from Handyman Club of America. I read the Junk mail and was not interested. I received a letter claiming my account status was delinquent and if I did not pay, they would send my Membership dues of $25.00 to Collections. These guys are Scam artist. I never joined. There should laws against this type of Marketing.

• Qk
    qkasper Apr 24, 2008

I got the same thing!!! I called them and told them that I was (and I'm telling the truth here) a disabled vet and had the use of only one arm so why would I join their club. If they didnt cancle it and fix the mistake then I would take them to court and make sure that this stops!!!

Michele Jul 09, 2008

I appreciate whoever listed the 800-209-9606 number for Handyman Club of America - I just called and supposedly the membership (that I never requested) is cancelled. I was told that if I should receive another invoice I can just disregard. We shall see. The 800-243-7679 number listed on the letter just puts you in a holding pattern.

• Br
    Brian Diewold Sep 21, 2008

My husband keeps receiving an email stating that he owes $24 for "past due membership dues". We have emailed with the wish to cancel this subscription but continue to receive these notices with a "risk" of the account being sent to collections. Is an email not enough? I see others are having/had the same problem in receiving "past due bills". Any advice?

• Br
    Brian Diewold Sep 21, 2008

Sorry, he is receiving these notices in the mail, not by email.

scam and cheating!

I have emailed and called this company and their collection agency several times and still receive notice...

keep sending me books even though I cancelled the membership

Handyman Club of America address is Georgetown. They have sent me three books along with request for payment...

subscription scam and felonious harassment

It seems that I too have been caught up in this onerous scam perpetrated by Handyman Club of America. I received a solicitation to review the details of their program, and a magazine with a guarantee that there were no binding obligations should I decide not to undertake the subscription following my review of the magazine "Handy" representing Handyman Club of America. I also received a "Free Gift" which was a small notepad with the Handyman logo printed on it and a sheet of stick-on address labels, and finally a plastic trinket that probably cost all of 10 cents to produce. All of these gifts seemed to be consistent with other magazine offers and are generally chalked up to marketing expense for the attempt to procure new customers. Seemed normal business.

HOWEVER - Upon reviewing the magazine in February 2007, and the requirements stipulated to be a club member, I determined that receiving and reviewing tools for Handyman Club of America was not in my best interests. I submitted a written request to cancel any further mailings of magazines and more importantly to CEASE & DESIST sending me subsequent requests to Pick my tool of choice for review, and CEASE sending me any further Handy Magazines.

Now like many before me, I am in receipt of a letter from one RCMB ostensibly in Elmsford NY 10523. I will forward a copy of this stated complaint, along with a specific and written refutation of RCMB's felonious and fictional claim. I will research the permit number posted in the letter with the Secretary of State of NY, send a copy of my denial letter to the Attorney Generals Office State of NY, and also investigate other websites and legitimate business entities, such as the Better Business Bureau, Chambers of Commerce, the three major credit bureaus, regarding any other scam tactics employed by both Handyman Magazine, Handyman Club of America and RCMB.

May I encourage others who are being wrongfully harassed and accused of willingly agreeing to any form of legitimate obligation with Handyman 'anything' and its complicators, act and refute with extreme prejudice their low life and desperate form of coercion and intimidation. RCMB makes accusations and demands and threats without offering one shred of legitimate, certifiable, and verifiable proof.

My next stop is SNOPES.com... these sort of predatory and disgustingly manipulative tactics should be cut off at the source of the disease... I smell lawyers behind this scam!

Brutus A. Morgan
Wallingford CT

• Ge
    George Orr Sep 11, 2007

Thank you for your well written post. I agree entirely with your comments about this outfit and judging by the number of complaints it appears that there are many other people who have been scammed too.
    It is still going on.

Just today (9/11/07) my wife received two "Official Notification" letters, one from Handyman Club and the other from National Home Gardening Club. They contain identical wording and both signed by K. Pope so it is obvious that this mob is even bigger than we thought.
    Like you, I am not just rolling over on this and have filed complaints with The State of Florida and The Better Business Bureau.

I have not yet been harassed by the collection agency RCMB but should that happen I will make them choke on Title 15 Chapter 41
    http://www.access.gpo.gov/uscode/title15/chapter41_.html. Good luck to all. Maybe one of those lawyers will get a whiff of possible class action and we can collectively take these crooks to the cleaners.

keep sending unauthorized stuff!

They keep sending me useless stuff - "tools" and books. They send me a unknown book that I never asked. After a couple of weeks, they ask me to pay for the strange book. Because I have no idea and do not have interests in this book, I have to pay postage and send the book back to them. They are really making trouble to me rather than helping me.

Handyman Club of America magazine contains very limited information for DIY besides ads. I received 3 issues so far. None of them is worthwhile to me at all.

• Ji
    Jim Pappas Jul 24, 2014

Handyman Club of America continues to send me unauthorized tools for 'testing and purchase' after I have sent them several notices to stop doing so. Sending products before authorization by recipient, then expecting the recipient to pay for it is illegal. I am fed up with them. I had a 'lifetime membership' and told them I only wanted their magazine, which can be pretty interesting for someone interested in DIY projects, but I do NOT want the tools when the testing is a scam for making you purchase them.

unauthorized billing!

I'm from Canada and a subscriber of Handyman Club of America magazine for 3 years, I received a letter from the RCMB collection agency and telling me to collect a debt ($300.00). I already paid $146.00 for my membership fee and I decided to quit because I am not interested anymore. I did not owe anything in fact I still have 2 more years of subscription paid.

I send a letter stating to cancel all my membership and subscription but they send me another letter with my new deadline and will be forced to proceed with further collection steps empowered by the client!

I think this is not fair, every consumer has the right to refuse a product if he doesn't like it anymore.

W. Sturgis Mar 11, 2008

I have been getting bills for a subscription that I didn't want. The last one was very threatening that they were going to send my account to a collection agency. These bills do not do not have any customer service contact information but only a PO Box in which to send the money.

Via searching through the internet, finding their marketing partners, I have found a phone number to get "my subscription" canceled. I called and told them that I wanted it canceled. Based on that, they told me that the bills would stop coming.

This is the course of action I would recommend to the rest of you complaining about Handymanclub.

Their contact information is as follows:
    Phone: 800-243-7679 OR 952-936-9333

Address: 12301 Whitewater Dr., Minnetonka, MN 55343

• Ah
    A. Hurst Mar 24, 2008

we received today a statement from Handyman Club of America for $24.00 for a HANDY magazine that we did not order. I called the 800 #, spoke with a very nice lady named Teal, who promptly and nicely canceled our "subscription" No problem. So far...

• De
    Debra Fry Dec 03, 2008

I'm trying to find out information on the Handyman Club of America, Tool Hall of Fame Collector's Series, I have several coin shaped and one reads, Milwaukee Sawzall and another reads Workmate, Black & Decker. Just what are these? Also do they have any retail value? Any info will be appreciated!!

Deb Fry

• Md
    MDGILCHRIST Feb 22, 2009

I JUST RECEIVED ANOTHER INVITATION TO JOIN THE CLUB. FUNNY I WAS A MEMBER AND CANCELED AND THEY DON'T EVEN NOTE THAT. I LOVED THE MAGAZINE BUT NEVER RECEIVED ANY TOOLS TO TRY-OUT WHICH THEY PUSH AT YOU TO BECOME A MEMBER. WHEN YOU GET THE MAGAZINE IT SHOWS PEOPLE THAT TESTED TOOLS. FUNNY THING IS THEY WERE ALL PREMIUM AND/OR LIFE TIME MEMBERS. IF YOU CHECK THEIR WEB SITE THIS QUESTION IS ASKED UNDER THE "FAQ" SECTION. ON THEIR WEBSITE I WENT TO CONTACT INFORMATION TO FILE MY COMPLAINT AND A BLANK EMAIL POPS UP ... AND I MEAN BLANK, THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT ON IT! NO PHONE NUMBERS OR ADDRESS EITHER. LOOKS JUST LIKE ANOTHER SCAM WEBSITE. JUST WANTED PEOPLE TO KNOW TO BEWARE WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE SIGNING UP FOR. LIKE I SAID, THE MAGAZINE IS GREAT BUT SINCE I CANNOT CONTACT ANYONE I WILL NOT JOIN THIS CLUB AGAIN.

• Mu
    murrph Jul 17, 2009

I have finally found the phone number to customer service and actually spoke to a real person. It took hours to find this little gem. 1-800-243-7679. Call and cancel immediately. This is one funky company.

Michelle

• Ru
    RUBEN M. DIAZ Aug 16, 2011

I hav'nt had the misfortune to have been a member that long, but I did receive some free tools, along with the life time membership nomination. I had already cancelled my membership via landline, yet I am still being billed. I also want every one to know that the tools sent are in my opinion of some-what sub standard craftmanship. HANDY MAN CLUB OF AMERICA should at the very least offer MADE IN AMERICA tools.

Ruben

rcmb collection agency

In a weaker moment I gave in and accepted a free gift of Handyman Magazine. When I was billed for the magazine the notice advised me to cancel in writing if I no longer wanted the magazine. I included a note canceling. Again the following month I got a bill and wrote a note and call on the bill and returned the same results. They have continued to bill me and recently turned my case over to a collection... Frustrating and unauthorized membership to Handyman Club of America

12301 Whitewater Dr
Minnetonka, MN 55343
I got this valuable info from another email post.
Contact Member Services at [protected] weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Central Time. You may also send an e-mail to [protected]@HandymanClub.com.

They are owned by a parent...
I will try this out. Thanks.

• Da
    David L. Harman Sep 26, 2008

To whom it may concern: I am writing again to let you know someone is getting my magazines. Since you did nothing about it I did some searching and found out that a David Harman @ 1201 Wyoming Ave. Exeter, PA 18643-1842 was using my account to get my magazines. I changed the address to my address since it is my account and now I recieved an invoice for membership. Check your records I have beeen a member since April 2004. I have not recieved a magazine in months. If you people do not get this straightened out soon I will be contacting my lawyer concerning mail fraud. I have told you about this problem for the last two years. My account # is 30367664. I expect an e-mail very soon from you concerning this matter. David L. Harman

constant subscription harassment

After paying and viewing a year's subscription to this so- called handyman magazine subscription, it has been determined it is useless to me. Under a guise of trials of tools for opinions, I decided to subscribe. Well I received a carpenter's pencil, a rubber nail holder and some other piece of useless "tool" that an infant could use, and reading the less than basic magazine, I decided not to renew the subscription. The company calls on the phone and is told NO to renewal, in the mail I receive constant renewal notices, and yesterday I received a letter forwarded to their accounting department that I am in arrears for a subscription I clearly have told them I do not want. If Larry Okrend and Kate Pope can read, I surely hope they can read this complaint. They certainly can't understand English when you tell them NO to something!!!

• Bi
    Bill C. Jackson Jul 02, 2007

Handyman Club of America is threatening to turn me over to a collection agency for membership dues for a club I never joined.

Michael Xu Jul 09, 2007

I wish I read this info earlier than I subscribed this club.

Michael Xu Jul 09, 2007

Strongly agree.

• Pa
    Paul B. Jul 18, 2007

Handyman Club of America sent me a collection agency letter. Anyone know how to contact them? I never started a membership however, they are still trying to collect dues. Will this hurt me credit score? Any help would be appreciative. Thank you.

~Paul

• Fr
    freddy thompson Dec 10, 2007

i tryed you for 1 yr.,i don't any more,cancell my membership,i will not renew.

frustrating and unauthorized membership!

My husband recently received unsolicited mail from the Handyman Club of America. We did not sign up for...

rude collection letter from rmcb!

My dad is 83 years old and I am attempting to help him with his bills and mail. Recently he got a letter...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices