Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Home & Garden HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com lifetime membership renewal?

HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com  - lifetime membership renewal?

P
Author of the complaint
4:39 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Ok, I have been a LIFETIME member of this club for over ten years...It has been awhile since I recieved my bi-monthly LIFETIME Handyman magazine.
I just got a postcard today saying they have not heard from me in a while and I quote "If you wish to continue receiving Life Member Benefits, we need to hear from you"!

First off, why do they need to hear from me? I signed up for a lifetime of benefits. Secondly, I recently moved in the last year AND UPDATED my information on the club website, so in essense THEY HAVE HEARD FROM ME QUITE RECENTLY.

So, fearing to lose my membership, which has to be completely illegal, I went to the site and did what I needed to do. The thank you message stated that "My account has been REACTIVATED"! So they are telling me the deactivated my lifetime membership because "they have not heard from me in a while"? How about you try and contact me first before you just deactivate something I have paid for?

I am really getting sick of these companies offering LIFETIME or UNLIMITED products only to try and screw you down the road!

Helpful? 7 0
135 comments
Apr 28, 2022 4:39 am

I am also one of the forgotten Lifetime members. I also tested products. I enjoyed the magazine! The end of 2010 was the last magazine I received.

Apr 17, 2022 4:39 am

Like many of you, I too had a lifetime membership but have not received anything in years. What happened?

Jan 16, 2022 4:39 am

Add me to the list of "Lifetime Members" that has been forgotten about. Lifetime Member # [protected]/8/A 7. The last magazine I received from them was July 2011. I actually tried one product for them. It was a baggie that was suppose to capture drywall dust when you drill a hole. It would be nice to at least hear they went belly up or something.
Ray
Newton IL

1 0

I ...Donald Trump will not allow this to happen to [censored] like me...ladies and gentlemen bend over and grease up...I m going to make America great again ...who is first?

0 1

I, too, recently came across my membership card. I have been a lifetime member of the Handyman Club of America since 10/95. Have not received anything from the club in years.

Aug 02, 2021 4:39 am

I'm not sure when I joined but it was definitely early 90's because I was doing a complete renovation on my home and the first product I tested was paper-coated vinyl corner beads that are set into joint compound and then rolled to even out the compound. I was blown away at the full case of corners, the roller head and an extension pole all valuing at least $300 then. The timing was perfect since my house had solid, corners throughout. I received a key chain, a patch, a coat and every few months I would get something to test. Of course the magazine was monthly and I won second place on an innovations section which strove to share tips and tricks. (Mine was attaching 2" pvc to step ladders to hold cordless drills, hammers etc.) I'm not remembering what the prize was but that comes with age.

My thoughts were that I didn't see how this company could possibly maintain this level of giving to a host of lifetime members. That things started tapering of I thought, was inevitable. I really believe that the original company had it's member's interest first but other company participation most likely wavered and once you have all of that money from life members, there's not a lot coming in. I believe in the few short years they were very active I got my money's worth and then some and that their hearts were in the right place. I haven't had any dealings with them since but what I'm seeing from different sites, the company must be run by a different group or company and is all about the $$.

Plus, I mean, as adults, when a company says "Lifetime", that's open to interpretation and of course couldn't continue past the company's lifetime.

M

I recently ran across my Charter Member card from July of 1997, so I thought I'd look to see what became of this "club". Life has been filled with so much other stuff that I honestly forgot about this membershp. Well, I didn't find much other than this website that shows many (legitimate) complaints. Then I went to the Better Business Bureau website. https://www.bbb.org/us/mn/minnetonka/profile/hunting-gear/handyman-club-of-america-1296-51000042 On the BBB website I found the name Larry Okrend associated with the club, along with the comment: "Believed to be out of business: According to information in BBB files, it appears that this business is no longer in business." I then looked at the professional social media website called "LinkedIn" and found a profile of a Larry Okrend who has the club listed in his work history. I have included the information below. Perhaps it can be of help to some of you to find answers to your questions.

Larry Okrend
Freelance Editorial Services
Hopkins, Minnesota, United States

Managing Editor of HANDY Magazine
May 1996 - May 2001

Editor in Chief of HANDY Magazine and Executive Director of the Handyman Club of America
May 2001 - Dec 2013

2 0
Jul 10, 2021 4:39 am

ive been a lifetime member since03/2012 was getting magazines for awhile even tested a product but haven't heard from them in years, why? I paid up front in advance now I feel like a nobody. they got my money now they are done with me. no fair.

Mar 08, 2021 4:39 am

I, too am a Life member. As I recall I paid $400 for my membership. I don't remember what the other premiums were, but they sent me leather jacket with the HCA logo embroidered on the front. I found a Cleveland Browns "helmet logo" (a big one ...5" inches in diameter) patch and had a professional leatherworker sew it on. So now I have a leather jacket with the Brown's patch covering the Handyman logo. Oh well, it's something any way

Feb 12, 2021 4:39 am

The same as everyone else, I've been a life member since 2002 but I haven't heard anything from them in several years.

N
Sep 28, 2021 4:39 am

I been a member since 1998 after that got 1 tool then cut off

Dec 25, 2020 4:39 am

Wow, I'm surprised that you found a club website! I haven't found it.

Jul 09, 2020 4:39 am

Please get your act together for over 15 years I have failed to get my magazine or tools from my lift time membership, what is the problem #[protected]. lew

G

I ha ent seen a magazine for decades.

Jun 17, 2020 4:39 am

I have been a lifetime member and like others have received nothing in longer than I can remember.I wish I had a clue how to get in contact with these people ...seems like ownership has changed maybe that is when it all went south...Robert ..San Diego California

Feb 02, 2020 4:39 am

If I'm a Master Lifetime Member! Why should I have to RENEW? I have Paid my dues for this..
The last thing that they sent me was in 2010.. I want my magazines.. Mr. Larry Okrend, Executive Director for Handyman Club of America.. You need to something about this.. And soon.. Or send me my Money back.. Thanks G. A. Pitre

Apr 11, 2019 4:39 am

I am a life member, and have been since, well about 20 yr. then they just quit sending .I quit buying all there stuff so this club quit sending my magazines. When i try to contact them all i get is the run around, Just a pack of crooks, but that is my opinion. my member # [protected].

Jan 09, 2019 4:39 am

I had a Life Time membership since 2000 #[protected]. Handyman had dropped me around 2005 or 2006 time frame; not hearing anything from them. No magazines nothing. I always wondered what happened, but never reached out to see WHY, I was dropped. Maybe Life time membership, means a 5 year life span? I had a number of issues going on in that time frame and was in an accident with a long recovery. But I would like to see if they can reinstate me.

View 0 more photos
Aug 27, 2018 4:39 am

Just found my card.I have been a life member since 96 and was going to update.I haven't been to the site in over 8 yrs and am not sure if I updated after I moved or not.I can't find a page for the either. I haven't rec'd anything from the in at least that long. I just started to look up the site this morning when I see all these complaints.WOW spent a of money for something that does me no good now. Scott Hopkins Gibsonburg, Oh.

C
Jun 05, 2018 4:39 am

Same condition...lifetime membership...approximately 9 years ago...no magazine or response for several years. Is this company still working? How to contact service department, how to get my magazines?
Charlie R Christian, 5680 Rachel Court, Hilliard, OH 43026

May 05, 2018 4:39 am

I signed up many years back for their "lifetime" membership. I have never received anything from them in years. I tried pulling up their website and keep getting this SCOUT.COM website which has nothing at all to do with handyman related information. It's all sports related. Could someone direct me to the proper web site? Thanks in advance.

Aug 23, 2018 4:39 am

Brian, I have the same exact problem. If you have received a website for them, please share. Thanks, Sue

W
Mar 24, 2018 4:39 am

please check my membership # [protected] 9 # DY i have not received a magazine since 2014 what happen to my life membership i am still alive.

Winston Austin
2025 Seagirt Blvd.
far Rockaway new york 11691

Aug 23, 2018 4:39 am

The last time I heard from them was in 2014 when they sent me an empty box which allegedly had some merchandise for me to test. Both ends of the box were unsealed, opened, and obviously never taped.

W
Apr 28, 2018 4:39 am

Me Too. #[protected] .. heard nothing since 2007. Did they fall off the map ?

T
Mar 05, 2018 4:39 am

After many starts and stops. I finally found a place to complain! A few years back we signed up for "lifetime" membership for the printed edition. Then we received a notice that they were changing to printing Handyman digitally, only. We never got anymore correspondence. nothing in print or digitally. Now we get notices from a very similarly looking "Family Handyman" mag. We feel very violated by the club! Are the magazines the same or only sort of look that . Tom Snyder

Mar 24, 2018 4:39 am

Tom
Also being a Life Time Member since 1999, and with daily life and time passing by more quickly, I haven't checked in for a couple of years. Haven't received any magazines or communication for much longer. I had my Lifetime Member hat replaced, maybe 2010 and that may of been the last contact I've had. Now, wanting to check back in again, I find that apparently everything has changed immensely. After reading all of these comments, I am getting more irritated in that maybe I've fallen prey to a huge scam. You said you found a place to complain. Were you just referring to this particular page, or did you actually find a number or contact? If you hadn't, maybe someone else reading this can offer some answers.

S

I have same problem, I cannot find how to reactivate my lifetime membership. I have been a lifetime member since 2002 paid in full, have my membership number and all. I haven't heard anything in years.

Jan 26, 2018 4:39 am

I have been a Lifetime member since May 2000. This was good the first year but after that it was a rip off. Like others I was billed for the magazine and I had to call to get the billing cancelled. They should have to refund the money I paid for the membership. Has made me leery to join any Lifetime membership ever again. I did not think it was legal to take the money then to stop contacting me.

T
Dec 24, 2017 4:39 am

My Uncle was a member. He passed away and left me all of his tools and remodeling equipment. One of the items is a Handyman Tough Test Plunger Router, 2hp, 12 amp. I cannot find the manual for this tool. All parts appear to be present including a set of 20 router bits.
The model number is QD6802R. Can anyone help me find a manual for this router? Thanks very much...
Tom Austin --- email--- [email protected]

Dec 20, 2017 4:39 am

I have also been a life member for over ten years. Each time I moved I sent my label and new address and the magazine followed. Last time I did this I was told the magazine was no more. I received no other communications from these folks NAHC and NAFC dropped their magazine too. What good is a life membership if they drop the main reason you bought the life membership? I miss my magazine and all the offers to sell me stuff I may or may not need in my workshop.
Dennis Cornell
Hot Springs, S.D.

Dec 14, 2017 4:39 am

I am also a lifetime member and haven't received my magazine and can not contact you by phone. I have no email access, A friends is using her computer, which you may use to contact me, with your new phone numbers. Or any other contact. I would like all of my back issues of the magazines. I have moved and have also been suffering with medical issues, so it's possible you may think I've passed away. LOL As I mentioned I do not know how to do email, so you can contact me with my neighbors email: [email protected] I enjoyed the magazines and really enjoyed the testing.
Do you have any testing kits to sound proof a wall. If not, do you have any ideas that might help.

Thank you, Rodney Weninger.

Nov 21, 2017 4:39 am

There are only so many handyman tasks and project that can be written about before a handyman mag has used and subscribed itself out of business, which is what happened to HCOA; only they did not know or plan for such an eventuality. Hence they now find themselves chasing after customers and customer payments in hopes just of staying alive. It is doubtful anything resembling a dunning or collection notice is in anyway genuine and not just scare tactics. After all, HCOA is out of money and collectors do no work for free, even without results.

E
Oct 31, 2017 4:39 am

These people can't even talk to you li mom and live on the phone. What are we as LIFE TIME MEMBERS A BUNCH OF COMPUTERS ? We are human not computers. I've been a life time member for years and have wondered what happened to the communications that I have been receiving. Membership [protected].

Oct 17, 2017 4:39 am

Scout.com bought Handyman Club of American, supported it for a while and then just dumped it. I will wager that they did it just for the membership lists. Scout is part of CSB Sports Digital. They still support the hunting and fishing but changed the names to North American Hunting and North American Fishing. Along with the scam of Purchasing Handyman Club of America and its assets they also took over Cooking Club of America and Gardening Club of America, both of which the dumped. These [censor] won't call or contact you. They did it for the money us members were paying in and for the membership logs to push their crappy sports website.

BOYCOTT SCOUT.COM AND CBS SPORT DIGITAL AND SINCE THERE IS ONLY CRAP ON TV NOW-A-DAYS BOYCOTT CBS!

Nov 29, 2017 4:39 am

Actually, NAHC and NAFC, has always been exactly that, North American Hunting Club and North American Fishing Club. I used to be a lifetime member of them both, as well as the Gardening and the Cooking clubs. Scout.com does NOT support any of the clubs at all. I have been all over their website with a fine tooth comb and NOTHING. Highly disappointed in that for sure. I loved everything that I had received form them over the years, but with all of the moving around and truck driving that I was doing, I gave up and just stopped any more activity. And now that I am seeing that scout.com has indeed taken them over, I am more disappointed than I was before. Someone should bring them back or come up with something close to the same thing and they will make a killing at it. I am just glad that I have never received anything from this sports crap as I am not a sports nut at all. The only thing that I watch is NASCAR. It is a shame either way that you want to look at it.

A
Oct 02, 2017 4:39 am

since the handyman club was taken over by scout I have not received my magazine or even heard from them..

C
Sep 30, 2017 4:39 am

Ok, I have been a LIFETIME member of this club for over twelve years...It has been over three years since I received my bi-monthly LIFETIME Handyman magazine.
So, fearing to lose my membership, which has to be completely illegal, I went to the site and did what I needed to do, to locate some one to help me and would just get passed around.
I still have not received any magazines or free products as stated in the club membership. Please some one help me.

hing I have paid for?

Sep 10, 2017 4:39 am

I have tried to phone, tried to find out how to change my address and there is no humanly possible way to do it on this web site, or any other I have tried, I finally found this, is there a possibility that I can change my address here? I am giving it to you in the hopes it can be done, thank you: Old Address::: L. B. Miller 55 Marmora St. Trenton Ontario Canada K8V 2H8 Life member # [protected]...New Address::::::::::
Valleyview #9 2736 19th Ave. S.E. Calgary Alberta Canada T2B 0A3 Again if you can help, it would be most appreciated, I have been everywhere trying to get this done

Aug 31, 2017 4:39 am

I too am pissed of the way they ran this organization into the ground. I complained years ago calling the club a farce.. promising this that and the other and then find out that it was not a club like the name implies... and the officers / presidents secretaries and treasures.. all in the same person... ran off with the money.. so now the promises made by the club's... handyman club of america and the north american hunting club and the north american fishing club and the north american cooking club are all defunct.. and they are now owned by some scout organization that has no money cause they pocketed all the monies sent to them and this all became a scam... one person and I wrote back and forth several times him telling me to calm down that the defunct clubs... not clubs.. organizations.. he was a well paid officer who accumulated wealth and many hunts and free tools and hunts... are al broke because some okried? fella escaped the world with all the money... and that scout will now be doing the new give away junk... no hunts.. no tools.. no guns... no safes... no freebies... just junk if you keep up with there lists and sign up everyday... like what in the hell... they knew who stole the money.. they know him and her by name... they know the accomplices... they know where they went... sounds like they all got a share and we all got the shaft... where are the free hunts.. where are the free tools.. where are the free hunting equipment... where are the free carpenter tools and other trips... where is the [censor] law... sounds like another [censor] trump deal and we all got the fake beads for our land... and as for the magazines we were getting? it went from paper to computer to nothing... sounds to me kemosabi that we got junk for our gold... while with the handyman club they offered a small but useful pull saw for a price? I have one that has seen its usefulness and would love to have another or a new blade... any help there handyman club of america? or did that get stolen also...

G

Same old story! There is only one thing you can do (and it will work). I talked with everybody I could and the company finally let me alone! When you talk with the collection agencies, warn them that they are about to be pulled into this mess, and it is going to get expensive. That's what I did, and they backed off BIG TIME! Collection agencies rely on threats, but their true colors shine through when THEY are threatened. Also, I notified Handyman IN WRITING that my attorney was advising me and what he said.I quoted them all the illegal things they were doing, and backed it up with dates and the law as it applied to this situation.BE TOUGH AND DON'T GIVE UP! Now, believe this! You will not get your money back; the best you can hope for is that they will leave you alone. I'm sorry, folks, but you have been screwed without even a kiss! I was too! Don't let anyone make you feel stupid. You aren't! Some of you are quite intelligent but this kind of crap happens all the time. It's just this evil world we live in. Get over it and move on. I'm angry too, but I can't fix it and I refuse to allow someone else to control me! That's what happens if we don't let it go! A very smart person once said "Be angry but do not sin"! Love and respect to all. geb

Aug 01, 2017 4:39 am

I was also a Life Member and can't remember how much I paid for it. I think around $200 or maybe more. I got it by paying payments. I was one of the charter members of the club. I liked the magazine and a few years ago I started missing the magazine. No notice, but went to the site and found they had gone to an on-line only magazine. Not what I had signed up for, but still had access so I was ok with it. I just found a sticker I got from them and thought I'd look up the site. I don't remember going to scout before, but my link in Last Pass took me there. Nothing about Handyman Club of America. It's all sports related stuff now and nothing I am interested in. It really ticks me off that they did all these changes without even notifying Life Members. I paid for Life and thought I'd enjoy it until I died. I agree this was a total rip-off and someone there walked away with all of our money and left us High and Dry. Wish I could get a refund of at least half of the money I paid them, all of it would be better. Wish I could remember for sure how much it was, but that was a long time ago.

N
Mar 24, 2017 4:39 am

As a life member I have not received a mag. in over 3 years / What the HELL is wrong with your ccompany. I'm still alive and kicking Glyynn Price

P
Mar 05, 2017 4:39 am

My husband had a lifetime membership. Stopped receiving magazines. Same thing happened to Gardening club of America for me, and North American Fishing Club for him. I think they were reputable companies that closed due to low funding. We have the internet now. But I still love my print and read books and magazines every day. SAD.

Jan 20, 2017 4:39 am

To all the comments I have read I have to admit they are all exactly right! I myself have been a so called master life member since 2005! This was supposed to be the gold membership with these people! It untitled you to any and all offers handyman had to offer, the test tools, freebies, no more paying the yearly subscription for the magazine not to mention all the various discounts that a master life member was supposed to be intitled too! I quickly realized this was all a big joke have not heard from them since they got my money! Here in the last year they have started sending me notices telling me I need to renew my subscription! What? Lifetime membership ment never having to pay that again! But don't worry they will never get any of my money again and if anyone reading this has any smarts they will do the same, run away fast as you can it's all a money scam and don't worry when you tell them you are not satisfied you will not see a dime back you can count on that! 12 years and still waiting on my money back from these crooks! Thanks for nothing DScearce master life member since may 2005!

Dec 14, 2016 4:39 am

i have not received a magazine in two years or more i think i received one or two after i paid the lifetime fee no one will answer us back this bull crap

Oct 10, 2016 4:39 am

I have paid for my life member ship and there saying my member ship is canceled but Im still alive I paid in full. Life to me means till I die. NOT TILL THEY GET MY MONEY AND CANCEL ME.

E
Aug 22, 2016 4:39 am

I am a Lifetime club member and was supposed to get the club magazine for life. I am not getting it. This is a not what I was promised. Also I was supposed to get trial tools, etc., not happening.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

203 complaints