Handyman Club of Americalifetime membership renewal?

P Review updated:

Ok, I have been a LIFETIME member of this club for over ten years...It has been awhile since I recieved my bi-monthly LIFETIME Handyman magazine.
I just got a postcard today saying they have not heard from me in a while and I quote "If you wish to continue receiving Life Member Benefits, we need to hear from you"!

First off, why do they need to hear from me? I signed up for a lifetime of benefits. Secondly, I recently moved in the last year AND UPDATED my information on the club website, so in essense THEY HAVE HEARD FROM ME QUITE RECENTLY.

So, fearing to lose my membership, which has to be completely illegal, I went to the site and did what I needed to do. The thank you message stated that "My account has been REACTIVATED"! So they are telling me the deactivated my lifetime membership because "they have not heard from me in a while"? How about you try and contact me first before you just deactivate something I have paid for?

I am really getting sick of these companies offering LIFETIME or UNLIMITED products only to try and screw you down the road!

• Th
    Thomas A. Smith May 01, 2007

In a weaker moment I gave in and accepted a free gift of Handyman Magazine. When I was billed for the magazine the notice advised me to cancel in writing if I no longer wanted the magazine. I included a note canceling. They have continued to bill me and recently turned my case over to a collection agency. I have been unable to get a real live person on the line to discuss this with the collection agency or with Handyman. The collection agency, RMCB Collection agency, gives this number as their customer service: 914-345-7136. When you call it is voice mail that only gives your billing information. They are billing me for $24.00 which I would pay if they can show me where and how I agreed to accept the magazine in the first place.

• Rh
    rh walker May 22, 2007

Same thing just happened to me... how the hell do I get in touch with these crooks?

• Al
    Alan Levasseur Jul 10, 2007

I paid for one year subscription and they kept sending magazines and garbage tools asking me to become a member, I just threw them away, since my subscription ran out, I called them and told them not to send any more, and asked if I owed them anything, they said no, now I keep getting invoices in the mail with second notice on them.

What a scam!

• Tr
    TRINA NEWBURY Aug 14, 2007

I am having the same problem what can I do to fix this seems now they want me to pay and I called two months ago to cancel my subscription.

• Ly
    Lynda Golden Sep 17, 2007

While I was sending my $12. a month,someone at handyman put my money towards a set of tools that I was suppose to test and buy or send back with my opinion, like a member is suppose to do. I sent them an email telling them that the $12. was my membership payment but they never got it straight. Also, I sent that same set of tools and a book back, because I didn't want them,in the same box, and they kept sending me a bill for $29.95 for the book and today I got a letter from a collection agent. I have my lifetime member kit but I don't get any more magazines or tools to test like a member is suppose to get!

Veyy poor service!

Jerry Hundley Oct 22, 2007

We received a magazine from Handyman and an invoice saying we would receive our membership package once our payment was received. We wrote cancel on the invoice and sent it back. They sent another invoice saying they had sent us our membership package and payment was past due. We never received anything but a magazine, now by this time two magazines. We once again wrote cancel on the invoice because there isn't any other way of contact on the invoice and mailed it back. Now they are threatening to turn us in to collections. Is this legal and how do you get them to stop harrassing you?

• Le
    Leo Vortouni Oct 29, 2007

I signed up for Handyman Club of America and after receiving one magazine which i found not interesting I cancelled my membership on the invoice I received. I keep getting invoices and now a threat of turning my account over to a collection agency.

They have no telephone contact information. What a scam!

Jody Branham Jan 11, 2008

I joined Handyman Club of America and sent them the membership fee that they requested. But they have not kept up their end of the agreement. They were to send me tools to try. I have received NONE! What I have gotten is a paper note pad, carpenters pencil and a measuring tape which looks like something you could buy at a Dollar Store for a buck. The real kicker is they keep sending me statements wanting me to become a lifetime member, I would like to know (A Lifetime Member of WHAT?) There is no phone number that I can find where you can actually talk to someone. They also sent me a book that I did not order, I thought it was a gift from them and weeks later got a bill for it in the mail. I went ahead and paid for the book and sent them a cancellation in writing. It was not long until another book came.

Very Frustrated,
    Jody.

P.S. DON'T JOIN THIS CLUB!!!

• Ji
    jim hintenach Jan 12, 2008

You have sent me a letter stating that you were going to send me to a collection company, when i am not even a member yet until i make my first year's payment. I was/am still thinking if i want to be in your club. I, as of now do not want to belong to your club. I am not as handy as i thought i might be, especially after looking at your magazine, and giving it a good thought.
    How can you give me to a collection agency when i have not even sent you anything. Someone might say they want to join, but until they send the fee for joining, they are not officially joined.

A phone number on the letter would be a good thing to have. I hope you get this e-mail, and that someone reads it and responds.

Jennifer Craig Jan 14, 2008

We got in the mail a letter saying we were being referred to a collection agency for not making the due payments to Handyman Club of America. I did request information but have not received anything from them except bills. Oh wait, we did receive some return address labels that went into the trash. What do we do to make sure we are not sent to a collection agency? We are not paying for this! If we wanted to be members, the bill would have been paid.

• Da
    David Dahl Jan 14, 2008

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I have had numerous solicitations from this company over the years which I have thrown away. Since recently starting a business where we review tools for the HVAC trade, we decided that perhaps their company would provide an avenue for growth. I sent in the reply envelope.

I failed to receive any of the offered "free" gifts. Instead, I received two rater weak magazines reporting to be club member reports. I received my dues membership invoice and acted by sending a debit card number. I received several notices indicating that payment had not been made, each of which I returned indicating that payment had been sent. Finally, I sent the last one back with a note of dissatisfaction and a request that the membership be terminated.

I received a "Final Notice" letter that sounds like a collection letter and mentions further collection action to be taken. This "club" is a scam! It is no more than an attempt to sell a substandard magazine by promising "free" tools. The tools "reviewed" fall into the novelty category and I doubt if very many "members" really see any tools.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Joseph Rotello Feb 11, 2008

I too have been harassed by Handyman, after not buying or taking advantage of their "services", and receiving no benefits from them, period. The "reviews" are a joke in and of itself, as well.

It's my understanding that sending threats through the U.S. Mail is/are viewed the same as would be using telephone lines in the commission of a fraud -- against Federal Law.

After calling the Atlanta sector of the Federal Trade Commission, this is confirmed.

Perhaps one or more of us providing the FTC and the FBI copies of these threatening letters sent through the auspices of the U.S. Postal Service might be of aid?

• Re
    Rebecca Dowd Feb 26, 2008

I am a person with disabities and had someone living with me, who through theft and fraud, has cost me approximately $6,600.00. I recieved a collection with RMCB with the PIN #8866435889 for $359.00. As few people can understand me by phone and I do not write, I tried but could not contact you.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Dowd

• Ba
    Barry Arsenault Mar 06, 2008

I have been turned over to collection. I do recall an invitation to join approx 2 yrs ago, and I did recieve a magazine, a short time afterwards I recieved a small key chain and some stickers with my name on them. I have moved and changed addresses approx 18 months ago. Yesterday March 4th I rec'd notice from Collection Agency, that I joined in Dec 2006, and now owe them $461.00. I have not even ever gotten an invoice or statement. That is a pretty expensive key chain. I am also frustrated that I cannot find any contact numbers, nor have they answered my e-mail.

• Ws
    W. Sturgis Mar 11, 2008

Call their customer service number @ 800-243-7679 OR 952-936-9333 and ask to have your subscription canceled.

• St
    Steve Midcap Mar 19, 2008

Call 1-800-243-7679 and ask for customer service. The person I spoke to today was pleasent and helpful in resolving my issues The date is 3-19-08.

Mary Strohbehn Apr 02, 2008

I would like to have my membership money back please. The letter I had received stated that if I am not satisfied that I could have my membership paid back to me in full. I am not satisfied. Please send me my money back. Thankyou

Jeff D Griffin Apr 07, 2008

membership services is 1-800-243-7679

John Eddy May 31, 2008

I received a invitation to join. I returned the card and wrote on the front NO THANKS. Now I get an invoice with membership # 7715517. I do not wish to participate in the club. Please take my name off your list. Thank you.

• Ta
    TAB Jun 01, 2008

I received a letter today stating that I am going to be turned over to a collection agenct for nonpayment. The only thing that I have received from this company are the dreaded invoices. You would think that after they did not receive payment that meant that I was not interested. The offer clearly stated once we receive payment we will send out the so called free items.

This was a real shock to receive a collection letter for items that I have never received. I am not sending a dime on it. I w0uld not even waste a postage stamp as mad as I was when I opened this letter.

RALPH WATSON Jun 15, 2008

The HANDYMAN CLUB OF AMERICA claims that I owe them a membership fee of $24.00 for a full membership kit that I never received nor asked for.
    I have not been able to find a phone number listed on any of their correspondence by which to contact them, and am at odds as to why they would send me a notice to turn a non existant account over to a collection agency. I wonder if other people are having the same problem with this company that I am?

Sincerely,
    Ralph Watson

• Fa
    Fakerfinder Aug 21, 2008

i recently received unsolicited mail from the Handyman Club of America. I did not sign up previously for a memebership two years ago. I paid dues and got nothing for it, therefore I cancelled the stupd membership (with no return of any dues. Irecently received an official notification saying they were going to take meto a collection agency for past due membership of which I chose not be be a member and received nothing (oops I did get a key chain). Hardly worth almost 400.00. Now today I received mail that I am a returning member and congratulations. I am not a returning member nor do I want to be. It also indicates that I have received several tools which is false. You can not call them, You can not email them, you can not contact them. This Scam is frustrating

• So
    soapie38 Aug 27, 2008

The products offered did not come as stated when I signed up.
    Please cancel my membership and send my dues back asap.
    I have already submitted the paper work to cancel about 3 weeks ago.

Please honor my request immediately.

• Da
    Dawn Hupfer Oct 04, 2008

Read my other notes, theses are scam artists with about 40 named companies in same building and same p.o. address. BBB has so many complaints that the major credit boys won't even keep your name on a complaint once you call them and tell them that you didn't order it, or that you already paid for it. Phone number is: 1-800-243-7679 They took the check we sent them, put a different "member" number on the "late notice".. so I guess I have two husbands, both have the same name, same birth date, same everything and they both fit in to my bed! Great, hey? Good luck

R. Ailes Jan 03, 2009

This seems to be a common complaint about Handyman club of america. I also did not request any kind of membership to this company. I did however subsrcibe to their magazine 4 months ago. I sent them 24.00 for a 2 year subscription and was suppose to receive 2 free gifts ( a bucket organizer and a broken screw remover) So far I have not recieved any gifts, I have recieved 1 magazine which seems to be a rip off of some of the other magazines I subscribe to. Now I keep getting bills in the mail for my "Lifetime Membership" which I never requested. Who are these people? Has anyone tried complaining to the Attorny General or the BBB? I have sent there bills back with letters explaining I do not want their membership. I have not found any other way to contact them. I googled them and found this website.

• Fr
    Freeman W. Snell Mar 09, 2012

I agree with you 100%. I paid almost $300.00 for a lifetime membership, and now their asking for $24. for a dues renewal. This had better been a mistake. or they can forget about anymore more from us. Also we will advise anyone else to not fall for this advertising from Handyman. supposedly invoice #LRKBD7946. We would like a response from Handyman in Hopkins, MN

• Fr
    Freeman W. Snell Mar 09, 2012

Would like this problem corrected by the Handyman Co.

• Pa
    Paul carpenter Jun 07, 2012

keep sending bill for cancelled books. if continued will cancel membership and I will get all my money back

• Mi
    Mike Wakeland Jan 21, 2015

I also have a Life Time Membership and have not received my life time subscription magazine for a number of years. I contacted Handyman Club of America numerous times over the last 1 to 1 1/2 and was told that my account is still active. My response is always the same, then why am I not getting my magazine. I am always told that I will receive the next issue. Now they only except emails no phone calls, lost that personal touch have we. I also have not heard a thing from the Club in a long time. Why did I pay for a Life Time membership? I have news for you Handyman Club of America, I am going to plaster your lying thieving ways everywhere I can until you refund my membership fees or until you are out of business. If any lawyer is willing to help me collect damages for membership fees, an incomplete set of books and whatever else, my Name is Mike Wakeland and my email is [email protected]

• Wi
    william lee bex Jan 24, 2015

its been 14+years since i bought/ordered anything from handyman of america.today-01/24/15, i recvd a collection notice 4 $74.i am confused on why i got this!can't get a answer online or by phone!!if i owed anything, it would have been paid off 14+years ago!!!

• Bi
    Bill Amstutz Feb 21, 2015

I recently started to get the mags again. In late 2005 I was laid off and became homeless for a while, when I got a place again it took a few years to convince them I am a life member who will not pay for something that is already paid for. Now I have changed my email address and gave them several notices and they still won't take the hint.

• Bi
    Bill Amstutz Feb 21, 2015

Email from this site goes to the spam box.

Randy L. Hurley Apr 02, 2015

I also am a Lifetime Member since 1996 and this is the second time this has happened to me. My magazine stopped again around a year ago and I was told when I joined that I would be able to test tools and other products. A "Life Member" since since 02/1996 and have never received a single tool to test! Way to treat your members!!!

• Pa
    Paul Adling Jun 20, 2015

I also have a Life Time Membership and have not received my life time subscription magazine since the beginning of 2014. I also have not heard a thing from the Club. Why did I pay a Life Time membership fee if I don't receive any of the benefits. I live at the same address and have the same e-mail as I did when I subscribed however I don't use the e-mail service much. What do I have to do to get my benefits from Handyman?
    Paul Adling Member 30038889
    12161 Euclid Street
    Garden Grove, CA 92840
    Also I have been in the hospital for most of last year and did not receive even one magazine!!!
    One pissed off master life member

• Do
    Donald Cook Jun 25, 2015

I also have been a life member of the Handyman club of America since 1996. I have no idea when the last time I heard from them or received a magazine. I know it's been several years. I tried calling was informed by operator that 800 number was disconnected. What do I have to do to start getting my magazine again.
    Member #30185533
    ANOTHER PISSED OFF LIFE MEMBER

• Wo
    Wolf man Jay Jul 01, 2015

I am also a lifetime member #301743389 8 and has not received a magazine for over a year or a test product ever what can be done about this club taking your money and giving no service.

• To
    Tom Nielsen Aug 11, 2015

Lifetime member, I also stopped receiving the magazine, so I emailed them. I was told that it is no longer a paper magazine. you have to have internet to get the magazine online now. So I asked if they are going to pay me so that I can have internet. I have not received a response yet, but I just sent it today.

• Do
    doyle,neil Aug 12, 2015

12 august 2015
    I also are a lifetime member of HANDYMAN CLUB. The last magazine I received was Feb mar 2014 issue NEIL DOYLE #3ooo7858 Never happened when Larry was editor

• Lc
    lcn Aug 16, 2015

Also have not received the magazine since early 2014. and also no response from the company. lifetime member since mid 90's
    Now you say it's only available as an e-zine??? sign me crabby carpenter! wife saved for nearly a year to buy me the membership.
    She will be soooo unhappy when I tell her; and she doesn't take kindly to being swindled. Frauds and miscreants! all of them and now they have done their dirty deeds to not just me, but my darlin.

• Cy
    Cynthia Michel Sep 03, 2015

I have been a life member since1996 and have enjoyed receiving the Handy Magazine. However my last issue I received was fall 2014. I am a life member #30148795 and would you to send me the missing issues, i.e. Winter 2014, Spring 2015, Summer 2015 and Fall 2015(as soon as it comes out). I do not feel that I need to keep communicating with you to get this service continued. Once a life member should mean always a life member. Now that I am retire I can finally use the magazine to my benefit. I have limited internet service and do not want to read this over the internet. Thank you and I hope that this will get a response from you to me personally.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices