Handyman Club of Americascam and cheating!

J

I have emailed and called this company and their collection agency several times and still receive notices that they are sending to a 13 yr old!!!

Beware people!

• Wa
    Wayne Moser Jul 30, 2007

I received a copy of the enclosed statement and I can promise you that I have not received anything from Handy Man Magazine other that an opportunity to enroll with their magazine. I did not subbmit anything to this company and I have no intentions of paying them anything.

• Th
    Thomas Mulholland Sep 15, 2007

I received a letter from RMCB Collection Agency stating I owe Handyman Club of America $325.00 for a lifetime membership. I spoke with this club approximately a year ago and canceled my membership. Any books that I had received in the interim were returned to the club. I do not feel that I owe this amount to Handyman Club.

Beware!

• Ro
    Robert Labon Sep 26, 2007

I recently received notice from a collection agency which has no live person to talk with for complaint or that of Handyman Club of America where I can dispute this issue in the amount of $24.00 for membership. I have only received two issue of the magazine and clearly have tried to correct this with cancellation of this and anything related to the company. I cannot talk with anyone from either area and Handyman does not have phone number which to contact by way of the internet or by mail that has been sent. What is a consumer to do when you have no means of contact.

• Do
    Don Van Dine Dec 05, 2007

I recently joined this "club" and received a couple of items and billed accordingly for a book et al. They also sent me a "rebate" check which I cashed and there wasn't anything to say differently about it, then they sent me another bill for some form of membership that I owed and I paid partial and was glad I was "Life Member". Today I received a Life Membership invoice-account past due bill for $359.00 and that I still am now owing a monthly amount of $49.82. I tried to call there Toll free # and I get this message that if you want to call them it'll cost you extra for this service. Anyone else get sortta treatment?? Of course I will send it back and see where it goes but what a scam, and it's probably run by some terrorists.

• Wi
    william russell Jan 11, 2008

I feel like i got ripped off. i signed up for the handyman club and they haven't sent me nothing. They keep giving me nothing but flak. they send letters and promised to send power tools and more. Don't join the club it is the biggest scam ever!!! I am a paid member and i cant even contact them to straighten this bad situation out. Don't ever join this scam!!!

• Ka
    Kathy Cowan Jan 12, 2008

This is a scam. They sent a teaser edition to my Dad. I read it, and threw it away. The information was useless. Now he is getting threatening mail from RMCB collection agency. Please watch out for your elderly relatives. We are also having an issue with Dealer Warranty. I really wonder if these people don't have a data base connected to folks on dementia meds!

• Do
    donald j taylor Feb 14, 2008

Told me that for 1 dollar a month I would receive a free membership kit with some free tools five months later I receive a collection notice. Did not tell me i had to pay for two years in advanced .They tried to get me to join a couple of times. I didn"t receive my free tools that time either. I will contact the BBB truly your unsatifed customer don taylor.

• Se
    Sean Ericson Feb 15, 2008

To: [protected]@handymanclub.com
    Subject:
    Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:19:53 +0000

K. Pope
    Treasurer

I have just received a MEMBERSHIP DUES INVOICE. I am not a member nor have i ever wanted to be a member of a tool/magazine subscription. I would like to be removed from any further mailings or information. I also would like conformation in writing stating this, or as a military member stationed overseas and protected under The Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act (SSCRA) I will be taking this to my legal counsel for fraud investigation. If I do not receive notice buy 1 March 2008 I will start my legal action.

• Ji
    jiri Apr 06, 2008

### company Handyman Club of America. ### collection agency RMCB. I didn't received books what their askin me pay for $ 149.54.

• Br
    BRIAN C Jun 12, 2008

I AM GETTING MAIL SAYING THAT I AM GOING TO COLLECTIONS, I HAVE BEEN SCAMED, AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE OUT THERE HAS A NUMBER TO CONTACT THEM??? THERE IS NO CONTACT INFO ON ANY OF THERE MAIL... PLEASE HELP [protected]@YAHOO.COM

• Ca
    CAtalina Jun 13, 2008

My elder father also received a letter for RMCB.
    This is a scam, do not pay!

• Ra
    R. Ashcroft Jun 26, 2008

I am 76 years old and I got an advertisement from them in the mail to test tools and then fill out survey forms and send in and then be able to keep the tools for only one dollar a month. I thought it was one of those companies where you test products and give your opinion about the product and the dollar a month you sent in every month was a processing fee. Then I get a bill of $24 for a magazine subscription and I never subscribe to magazines as I am on a very low fixed income. This is a scam and I am going to ask them to stop sending me a bill or turn them over to Consumer Protection as most states have extra protection for seniors.

• Th
    Thomas Carlton Aug 24, 2008

I never got the free start up gifts. I even became a life time member and was told I would get free tools I never got them .So if any members would like to start a class action law suite on them let me kow . I am not sure but it may be mail fraud.

John Oct 15, 2008

I can't tell you all you're wrong, but I am a Life Member, and I have no complaints. To anyone who cashed the rebate check, you need to read the paperwork, because cashing the rebate check enrolls you as a life member, and there is a total price you must pay, usually monthly. I get a monthly bill for my life membership dues, and I pay it. I have gotten all of the free gifts they claimed so far, and look forward to the rest that come upon half-payment of membership total, and completed payment of membership total. The magazine is free as far as I know, but the books are not free. So if anyone kept the books but didn't pay for them, that may explain some of the charges. If you don't want the books, you have to send them back in the box they come in, with the return slip which they provide. Again, if you read the paperwork, there's less confusion. So far I have been impressed with the books, so I have paid for them as well, but I think I will return the latest one, because its about building outdoor furniture, and I will never have the time or tools to accomplish that. One more thing: as far as " free gifts" are concerned, I know that there are some you get after paying a certain amount of your life membership dues (I think it is after two payments). There are also free product tests, where you receive some tool or accessory and then you use it and grade it on a survey sheet, and then mail in the survey result. You won't keep getting these product tests, unless you follow the procedure and send in the surveys and in some cases, mark that you would like to keep receiving them. Overall, I have had no problem with the HCOA, and have gotten several tools and books... "free" but I am paying my membership dues and paying for the books I want to keep. Nothing is really free in life anyway.

• Ar
    arnold magnuson Feb 05, 2009

i have never received any tools or test products . but I would not by any books from them. mabe that is why arnold magnuson mbr [protected] 8

• Ha
    HARRY BURRIS Mar 21, 2010

I JOINED THIS [censored] CLUB AND THEN BECAME A LIFE MEMBER WHICH COST OVER $200. WITH THAT I WAS SUPPOSE TO GET A LIST OF TOOLS SUCH AS SOCKET SET, DRILL BIT SET AS WELL AS OTHER TOOLS.WELL THEY GOT MY MONEY BUT I NEVER GOT THE TOOLS.ADD TO THAT THEY NEVER SENT ANYTHING FOR ME TO TEST.THE ONLY THING THEY EVER SENT WAS THAT FIFTY CENT MAG.THEY PUT OUT. THEY COULD SEND THAT, WHY COULDN'T THEY SEND WHAT THEY SAID THEY WOULD? DON'T JOIN THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS.

joverstreet1 Jan 18, 2011

I recently joined the club & payed for the magazine subscription for one year & recieved 2 magazines that were the same thing inside with different covers !! & when i tried to acess the website site it said my membership was cancelled !! I've sent numerous e-mail requests for re-instatement of membership & get the same response each time (membership services will contact you within 24 to 48 hr.s) ?! & I haven't had any further response !!! I AM gonna going to post on facebook & Twitter that ALL should beware of the SCAM & FRAUD that is being hidden by the handyman club !! VERY DISAPOINTED & ANGRY !!!

• I'm sorry and I don't mean to dance on anyone's grave, but these complaints are hilarious. I own a drafting business and Handyman Club of America contacted me. They gave me the whole shpeel about the $1 joining fee and I told them no. The guy kept pressing and I hung up on him. About a week later I get the startup kit in the mail. It included a bunch of stuff and a Charter Member Handyman window decal. I threw everything away except for the decal. This was ten years ago. Well, today I just started a handyman service and I came across the decal. I was going to use it just for poops and giggles (and to appear legit), but after reading all of your complaints i'm throwing it out. Unless someone wants to buy it. Lol.

• Ze
    Zeddicus Feb 08, 2011

You people are HIGH-LARIOUS. No.1 You get what you pay for. 12 dollars a year for a magazine. That's CHEAP. As for the tools. I've been a member for 3 years, & haven't recieved one yet. Am I a WHINE [censor]? No. When I get something in the mail that I don't want. I PROMPTLY call the people & cancel what-ever it is. NEVER let the USPS do what You are apperently too LAZY to do. It'll bite you in the [censor] EVERY time. Now for the rest of you who think I must be some kind of RICH [censor] making hundreds of thounds every year. I'll let you know. I'm a deck hane on a Tug Boat, Who makes less than 35, 000 a year. So put that in your pipe, & smoke it. (I hate LAZY people)

AngieLee25 Apr 01, 2011

Wow, Zeddicus! I'm not lazy, just being scammed. Handyman Club of America is trying to get my husband to pay for a lifetime membership he NEVER signed up for to begin with. In 2008, I paid for a ONE YEAR subscription for him and only ever received 3 magazines. I wrote them, called them, emailed them and got nothing back. Figured I learned my lesson for $12.00 and let it go. Now over 3 years later, they are harassing me with threatening letters from a collection agency demading payment for a lifetime membership. Here this 'LAZY' person goes again with the months of letter writing, phone calling and emailing this crap company.

• Md
    m. de la houssaye May 21, 2011

Robert Masters, I am 69 years old and didn't request anything from you all, also years ago I recevied from handyman a life time membership. Funny thing about this is that I never did agree to any thing or answer anything they sent me. Now they claim I am past due on debt. First thing is I am not Houssaye member# [protected] and if I do get any communication regarding this crap again I will sent it to my collection agency. This letter should go to and put in garabage. I want you to, in the future, HANYMAN NOT SEND ANY THING FROM TO 4904 Landry Rd, Duson La. 70529. u r a pita

• Sh
    shibuox Oct 29, 2011

How many of them satisfied with handyman club ?I received 12 $ bill to pay for the membership.They calling it is a due.One thing handyman peoples, how long this can...

• Wi
    Will A, Meyer Feb 06, 2012

I am being billed for Handyman of America magazine that I didn't order and did not receive. I am concerned that this will show up on my credit report as a negative. I have perfect credit at present. I see there are many complaints against this company. What can we do about it? I get enough junk mail as it is. Am reporting to Better Business Bureau.

• Rv
    RVNVET1948 Oct 22, 2012

All I want is out and to be done with them. Initially I paid $24 for 2 years received a book with the simplest tools usage. Then they hit me with year membership, I do not want the books I sent it back. I do not want the lifetime membership I stated so and sent it in. I do not want to be a member and to keep the $24 dollars because they are way under my skill level and you have to be in advanced skill level to get any tools I might use. This is a waste of my time monitoring the mail for them. Robert Masters, Do not send, offer, bill, or ship a gift to me. I do not want your simplistic cheap and gamey tool hype. Thank you very much.

• Bk
    bketch Aug 02, 2014

I have been a life member for ten years and never had any problem. I have received many product test items and never received a bill for those items. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones.

• Ke
    Kerry Dyer Sep 13, 2015

5-6 Years ago I became a life member and received free tools but since I moved to Texas I've received 2 magazines and those were last year and no tools to try and no more magazines I tried calling the # on my life membership card and it's no longer their #. I thought they went out of business?

• Lu
    luthe2015 Nov 14, 2015

I am a life time member and have not received a magazine for the past eight years and was supposed to test new products . I would like to get my magazines or I would like My $250.00 life time membership back. Thank You

• Ji
    Jim' Home Nov 22, 2015

I have been a life member for about 8 years. I have not received any thing from Handyman in several years, no magazines, information about tool or any other wooding projects.