Having problems with Guthy-Renker?

Guthy-Renker reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 24, 2007. The latest review Nuisance - unending, unsolicited and ongoing email contacts, bordering on spamming. was posted on Feb 11, 2021. The latest complaint Fraudulent charges WEN was resolved on Jul 13, 2013. Guthy-Renker has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 51 reviews. Guthy-Renker has resolved 20 complaints.

Guthy-Renker Customer Service Contacts

1888 651 6602 (United States)
1888 651 6607 (United States)
+1 310 581 6250 (Head Office)
100 N Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 1600
El Segundo, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Guthy-Renker Customer Service. Initial Guthy-Renker complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Guthy-Renker above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Guthy-Renker. Discuss the issues you have had with Guthy-Renker and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Guthy-Renker Complaints & Reviews

Guthy-RenkerNuisance - unending, unsolicited and ongoing email contacts, bordering on spamming.

I did make one purchase from this company, last year. As requested, I provided my email address for confirmation of the order. But since then, I have received email, after email advertising their products. These are unsolicited emails given that I have never authorized receipt of advertisement and promotional emails from Guthy-Renker. I have followed the instructions at least thirteen different times, to unsubscribe from these emails. And each time, have received the message from them that I am unsubscribed. Yet the emails continue! It is a nuisance. It is over kill. At this point I consider it a violation of privacy. Thanks you.

Guthy-Renker — recurring charges when I have never ordered from you

This is my fourth attempt to get something done. I have never, ever ordered anything or received anything...

Guthy-Renker — order I received

Was supposed to be a one month supply with free shipping s&h one time offer, I requested catalog and free...

Guthy-Renker — Disappointed!

I have ordered something from Guthy-Renker and received my order on time. I kind of liked the product but it...

Guthy Renker — Crepe Erase auto ship

I enjoyed the product but was not using enough of it to warrant getting a new shipment every 3 months and...

Guthy-Renker LLC — ProActiv+

I ordered some ProActiv+ supplies for my daughter in September, and paid for the first shipment. I then sent...

Guthy-Renker LLC — IT Cosmetics TV Offer

I ordered the $39.95 TV Offer and it arrived and was charged to my charge card. Imagine my surprise when I...

Guthy Renker — Vitaclear Vitamins

I've purchase the X-out face wash which also came with a free vitaclear bottle. I ordered the X-out a...

Guthy|RenkerCan't cancel

A real scam!!
    Sent a second box right away that I didn't expect. I called right away
    to cancel. Billed every month. Called again. No record of my previous call. Billed again..said they would send me a label to send second box back. That was July 16th. No label came. Called again, Sept 1. Said again they would send a label. It is the 8th of Sept. and no label sent. Called again Sept. 8th and they say it takes up to ten days to get a label. (Coming by pony express I guess.) To be cont.
    WARNING. Product doesn't work and they lie to you over and over when you talk to them on the phone.

Guthy Renker - WEN ProductContinuity payment scam

I purchased a special offer WEN product via Guthry-Renker. I have no issue with the product. I paid on credit card.
      But they then send me a email saying they will be sending me more products in two days time. That I can send them back within 60 days if I don't want them and they will refund the monies.
      There is no option to cancel the order before they send the product. I find this objectionable and unprofessional.
      They say I am a VIP member so get this special deal. I have to question whether they are in breach of UK Law, Data Protection Act?
      I also wrote to their [protected]@guthry.renker.co.uk and requested immediate cancellation of this and future orders. I also cancelled my credit card. Basically I don't want to be ripped off by this unprofessional organisation. No point justifying this practice by say should read the small print... No one has the time and they know it. I will not be buying from them again.
      Also WEN note this as they represent your business and you should not allow them to adopt this type of selling practice as it reflects your Brand reputation.
      AM

• Pu
          purrplekat Dec 26, 2013

While it is too late in this instance, use this as a learning experience. I learned from others' misfortune that when you see something on TV or advertised elsewhere (online, in a magazine) by itself like this product, always order it through another venue. I tried a Wen starter kit, but I purchased mine through the Sephora website or JC Penney or somewhere like that. Companies like Guthy-Renker are apparently very predatory and will sometimes continue to charge someone's credit card and send merchandise even after they cancel a "membership" and think the matter is resolved. And sometimes they charge even more fees as time goes on or send larger sizes to justify taking more money. After you receive confirmation your "membership" is canceled, cancel the credit card you used and have it replaced. The reason to give the card issuer is unauthorized activity, because although you initiated the first transaction you did not authorize them to continue. The trouble of replacing the credit card won't be as bad as trying to stop them from taking your money. Always wait until an item shows up in a mainstream store before you purchase it to try. If in doubt, research the product with the word 'scam' in the search term (for example, 'Wen scam'), and you will be able to review any complaints left by others about the company or product you are interested in.

Guthy Renker — Fraudulent charges WEN

I ordered sample size kit from WEN Hair Care over a year and a half ago. They then without my permission they...

Guthy-RenkerUnauthorized carges applied to card

Needless to say the complaint was never resolved
        Wen by Chaz Dean}
        Inbox
        x

Dear Anita,

Thank you for your email. By ordering the 30-Day Trial Size Kit at the club price of $29.95, you are enrolled into the Replenishment Program. One of the benefits of the program is the convenience of automatic shipments. You don?t have to worry about running out! Approximately 30 days after you receive your Trial Size Kit, you will receive your first Full Size Kit. This package is a 90 day supply and will be billed to your credit card account for $89.85 plus $7.95 shipping and handling along with any applicable sales tax.

Here is a breakdown of the payments:

Account# [protected] Customer Inquiry

============================= PRODUCT DETAIL INQUIRY ===================================

Mkt Prog 915 Product 220558-CD4063 CD 90DY KIT SAM CAP Batch ID-0 00/00/[protected]
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        QTY Unit Price Ship&Hand Tax Product Total Entry Key Due Date Install #=Total

Credits Batch ID Action Date QTY Amount Balance Charge Card
        0 00/00/00 00000 CC Payment 05/01/12 +001 29.95 0.00 ************0991
        0 00/00/00 00000 CC Payment 03/28/12 +001 29.95 0.00 ************0991
        0 00/00/00 00000 CC Payment 03/01/12 +001 38.94 0.00 ************0991

Mkt Prog 915 Product 220541-CD1055 CD 3PC 30D SAM CAPPED Batch ID-X 01/26/[protected]
        QTY Unit Price Ship&Hand Tax Product Total Entry Key Due Date Install #=Total
        001 29.95 0.00 0.00 29.[protected]

Order Number# Invoice # 1001 Package Tracking# N/A
        Transmittal # N/A Invoice Date 01/26/12
        Address Seq# 001 Cycle # 369

Credits Batch ID Action Date QTY Amount Balance Charge Card
        X 01/26/12 00004 CC Payment 01/27/12 +001 29.95 0.00

Account# Customer Inquiry

|Date|Install Type|Prod Qty|Prod Stat|Prod UCT #|Description|Applied Action|CHARGE / PAYMENT|CREDIT|REFUND|BALANCE
        MPG:915 AddrSeq# 001 Ship# 002

DATE SHP # Description
        1/26/2012 001 PREAUTH# PREAUTSHIPMENT 001
        1/30/2012 001 EMAIL -ORDER CONFIRM INV#1001

TOTAL BALANCE = 0.00

According to our records, your product is well beyond our 60-day return policy. Wen? by Chaz Dean will always attempt to process reasonable exceptions to our 60-day policy; however, given the lengthy amount of time that has passed since your purchase, your request is beyond what we are able to accommodate.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

If you need any additional assistance please feel free to reply to this email or, if you prefer, contact Customer Care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at [protected]. One of our representatives will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Melina,

This explanation still doesn't explain why I was billed $29.95 on
        four separate occasions. The website doesn't state that the 90 day supply
        will be $119.80 it states that it will be $89.85. Why haven't you both
        addressed my request for a refund. Please address this question in your
        next e-mail.

Anita

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM, wrote:

> Dear Anita,
        > Thank you for your inquiry regarding Wen? by Chaz Dean!
        > Our introductory Trial Size kit comes in two choices (Sweet Almond Mint or
        > Cucumber Aloe) and contains a 30 days supply kit for $29.95.
        > Approximately 30 days after you receive your initial shipment you will
        > receive a full 90 day supply of product in the same scent you initially
        > received and you will be charged three installments every 28 days.
        > We hope that this information is helpful to you! If you need any further
        > assistance please feel free to reply to this email or, if you prefer, you
        > may contact Customer Care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at [protected].
        > One of our representatives will be happy to assist you!
        > Sincerely,
        > Original message:
        > --e89a8f50398cb5075704bf73e678
        > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
        > Cyntia
        > I appreciate your prompt response. If that is in fact the case why have I
        > paid $29.95 on four separate occasions for only two boxes of product when
        > the website states the two options are $29.95 for 30 days or $89.85 for
        > three months. Even if I set my billing for installments, my card has been
        > charged more then what's stated on the website. I can cancel at any time
        > according to the paperwork I received. I cancelled after I received the
        > second unsolicited box of products, yet my card was debited two additional
        > times. I do not understand why I am paying for something I cancelled and
        > haven't received and do not want.
        > I still want my $59.90 for being charged two additional times after I
        > cancelled. You did not address that at all.
        > Anita
        > On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM, wrote:
        > > Dear Anita,
        > > Thank you for your e-mail. When you placed your original order for the
        > > introductory kit, your billing was set up on an installment payment
        > option.
        > > The invoice included in your shipment will reflect the total cost of the
        > > order; however, the payments are split into three charges. The first
        > > installment includes the shipping and handling charges along with any
        > > applicable taxes. The following installment is charged 28 days from the
        > > first installment and will include the remaining balance.
        > >
        > > If you need any additional assistance please feel free to reply to this
        > > email or, if you prefer, contact Customer Care 24 hours a day, 7 days a
        > would
        > > be paying $119.80 for two small boxes of product. I do not appreciate my
        > > card continously being billed for a product that I cancelled. When I
        > called
        > > and cancelled that should have been the end of taking my money off of my
        > > account. When I called customer service I was told that even though I
        > > cancelled I was going to continued to be billed, but not told this when I
        > > cancelled. I want my money back and you can have your product.
        > --e89a8f50398cb5075704bf73e678

--e89a8f9240aa6ea1f604bf7e8626
        Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3DISO-8859-1

Cyntia

I appreciate your prompt response. If that is in fact the case why have I
        paid $29.95 on four separate occasions for only two boxes of product when
        the website states the two options are $29.95 for 30 days or $89.85 for
        three months. Even if I set my billing for installments, my card has been
        charged more then what's stated on the website. =A0I can cancel at any =
        time
        according to the paperwork I received. I cancelled after I received the
        second unsolicited box of products, yet my card was debited two additional
        times. I do not understand why I am paying for something I cancelled and
        haven't received and do not want.
        I still want my $59.90 for being charged two additional times after I
        cancelled. You did not address that at all.

Anita

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM, =A0wrote:

> Dear Anita,
        > Thank you for your e-mail. When you placed your original order for the=

> introductory kit, your billing was set up on an installment payment op=
        tion.
        > The invoice included in your shipment will reflect the total cost of t=
        he
        > order; however, the payments are split into three charges. The first
        > installment includes the shipping and handling charges along with any
        > applicable taxes. The following installment is charged 28 days from th=
        e
        > first installment and will include the remaining balance.
        > If you need any additional assistance please feel free to reply to thi=
        s
        > Original message:
        > Chaz Dean - Wen Hair Care: Other
        > Account #: >
        > Message:
        > I called and cancelled this product, but I am still being billed. My card has been debited four times for $29.95 yet I have only received two
        shippments of this product. The informercial does not reflect that I would be paying $119.80 for two small boxes of product. I do not appreciate my card continously being billed for a product that I cancelled. When I called and cancelled that should have been the end of taking my money off of my account. When I called customer service I was told that even though I cancelled I was going to continued to be billed, but not told this when I cancelled. I want my money back and you can have your product.

--e89a8f50398cb5075704bf73e678

--e89a8f9240aa6ea1f604bf7e8626--

Anita Brooks <anita.[protected]@gmail.com>

to Guthy-Renker
        Axel,

I really don't understand why I'm receiving emails from multiple people. I requested a 30 day supply not and extended 90 trail of the product. Instead of a 30 day trial Guthy=Renker took it upon yourselves to continue to charge my card for a product I only requested for 30 days. When I received the second shipment I immediately called and cancelled and advised the rep that I didn't want my card to be debited continuously for a 90 shipment of this product. You said my card would be billed every 30 days but I see two transactions in March in 28 days. The first payment in March is for $38.94. What you have is a customer that does not want the product. I have no problem paying for what I ordered which is the 30 day supply. I do not want nor did I request a 90 day supply of this product and I want my money back. You can have your product still in the box never opened. What can you do to satisfy a customer?

Dear Anita,

Thank you for your email. Wen? by Chaz Dean stands behind every product we sell by offering a 60-day money-back guarantee. If for any reason during the first 60 days after receiving the product you were not satisfied, Wen? by Chaz Dean would have gladly refunded your money.

Anita Brooks <anita.[protected]@gmail.com>
        5/15/12

to Guthy-Renker
        Axel,

I need to know how I can return this order. It has not been 60 days since the last payment was taken from my account and I do not need nor do I want this product. I did not request a 90 day supply despite how convenient it may be for others. According to the break down my card was debited twice in March in less than 30 days. The first payment clearly doesn't show that there is an additional amount to be taken out at a later date. Since I do not want the product and did not authorize this payment, why is it so hard to refund my money to satisfy a customer?

An unhappy customer

5/15/12

Dear Anita,

Thank you for your email. Our records indicate your order was shipped on February 29, 2012.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

When you placed your original order from our website, information was provided for you to let you know that you would be automatically enrolled in our Home Delivery Program. This program sends you a 90 Day Supply of product to you after 30 days. You have the ability to customize your order to fit your needs, and if necessary, cancel your if you are not completely satisfied. The text as provided on the website is as follows:

When you order today you'll also get TWO Free Gifts! Starting 30 days after you place your order you?ll receive a new 90-day supply automatically replenished every three months. You?ll pay only $29.95 per month plus $7.95 shipping and handling per subsequent shipment. There is no minimum to buy and it?s easy to reschedule, suspend or cancel at any time by calling customer service. This purchase will be charged to the card you provided today. Every WEN purchase includes a 60-day money-back guarantee of the purchase price less shipping and handling.

As we did not receive a request to cancel, you were shipped a 90 Day Supply of Wen? products.

Sincerely,

Gabe
        Correspondence Specialist
        Wen? by Chaz Dean
        Account [protected]

Original message:

I need to know how I can return this order. It has not been 60 days since
        the last payment was taken from my account and I do not need nor do I want
        this product. I did not request a 90 day supply despite how convenient it
        may be for others. According to the break down my card was debited twice in
        March in less than 30 days. The first payment clearly doesn't show that
        there is an additional amount to be taken out at a later date. Since I do
        not want the product and did not authorize this payment, why is it so hard
        to refund my money to satisfy a customer?

An unhappy customer

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Anita Brooks wrote:

> Axel,
        > I really don't understand why I'm receiving emails from multiple people. I
        > requested a 30 day supply not and extended 90 trail of the product. Instead
        > of a 30 day trial Guthy=Renker took it upon yourselves to continue to
        > charge my card for a product I only requested for 30 days. When I received
        > the second shipment I immediately called and cancelled and advised the rep
        > that I didn't want my card to be debited continuously for a 90 shipment of
        > this product. You said my card would be billed every 30 days but I see two
        > transactions in March in 28 days. The first payment in March is for $38.94.
        > What you have is a customer that does not want the product. I have no
        > problem paying for what I ordered which is the 30 day supply. I do not want
        > nor did I request a 90 day supply of this product and I want my money back.
        > You can have your product still in the box never opened. What can you do to
        > satisfy a customer?
        > Anita

Guthy Renker Vita ClearPoor Service, Overpriced Product

Purchased pro active about 1 year ago...used it...also received a trial of vita clear vitamins... Ok that's fine, i figure that is a nice bonus for purchasing the skin care kit. I give it all a try for a few months...Skin care was ok but then a $98.82 automatic debit is taken directly out of my bank account for a 3 month supply of vitamins.

$98 for a bottle of vitamins that I never wanted or authorized! Every 3 months that is going to just automatically occur.

I cancel my skin care. I gave it a shot for about 9 months and i just wasnt that impressed. I didnt request a refund or complain. So I thought I was all cancelled. However I am still receiving bills for $98 on vitamins. I called customer service 3 months ago now to make sure everything is cancelled. I didn't want any vitamins in the first place. I talked to a woman named LOYDE. I explained the situation and i felt like i had cancelled everything with her. She said they were sad to loose my business and She even had the nerve to tell me she could get my a lower price on the products! SO YOUR TELLING ME I WAS OVER PAYING FOR THE LAST 9 MONTHS!!! Wtf how does that work. So I told her NO THANK YOU AND TO PLEASE CANCEL. Again I never asked for a refund. I just want to cancel. Here I am today calling the same customer service because they still want me to pay $98 on vitamins. Talked to LOYDE AND SHE SAYS NO IM NOT CANCELLED AND I NEED TO PAY IN FULL I cannot return the product. Sorry but this is bs! I'm not throwing another cent to Guthy Ranker. Stand behind your product...don't pretend to give me a free bonus and then hit me with $98 payment alerts!

Any insight or advice is appreciated.

Guthy Renker Online Proactiv Orders — Deceptive billing

aha, so I now I know what is going on. Guthy Renker have a reputation for the same unethical and immoral...

Melbourne

Guthy Renker WEN — Charging me for returned product

I have disputed charges with my bank and returned the product and continue to receive delinquent notices from...

Guthy Renker credit card theives

My girlfriend used my credit card to purchase Sheer Cover products through Guthy-Renker Australia several months ago. Shortly after this purchase we found that they keep sending the products each month or two and charging again for them. We had moved house so did not receive the goods and was not aware of the additional charge until I noticed it on my credit card statement.
            We contacted Guthy-Renker and they agreed to stop all further charges but would not refund the one already send (which we never received).
            A month or so later I was charged by them again and again we contacted them only this time they agreed to refund the charge (less the postage fee which they would not refund).
            A Month or so latter they charged my credit card again and this time we had moved overseas for work. I called them on an international call and again they agreed to remove all record of my credit card however refused to refund the credit card charge or tell me where they were sending these packages as I was not the person who originally ordered the goods, I was just the person whose credit card details they were holding, resurrecting each month and charging.
            I have emailed them several times trying to get a refund however they do not answer any of my emails.
            I am now waiting to see if they will resurrect my credit card for a third time and falsely charge it again. I guess we will have to wait to see if their sales figures are down again this month and they need more money.

Guthy Renker Proactiv

When Guthy Renker was a smaller company just starting out, they were very reasonable and there was no deceit in their dealings with their customers. As their business grew, so did their appetite for their customer's purses and sanity. In direct contrast, customer service levels and respect for their customers have decreased.

Let me give you an example. Six months ago in late June, I received a Proactiv pack in the mail (which is supplied recurringly as per the instructions on your account - note there is no option to buy these packs one off). As I was receiving these too often, I decided to cancel my Proactiv account. So I called customer service to cancel all future orders. It took 15 minutes before my call could be answered. I spoke to the representative (they are not Australia-based so can be difficult to understand) and he assured me that my account had been cancelled. The next thing I know - poof! Another order, which I had not authorised, had been placed, and the amount debited from my credit card when I checked my online banking the next day. I was not happy at all, and I was not about to call Guthy Renker and be made to wait to complain about it. I called my bank instead to dispute the transaction. My bank immediately closed the credit card account which had the unauthorised transaction and requested that I write a letter detailing all occurrences which led me to close my account. After sending off the letter, the matter was settled within two weeks. Or so I thought.

Following this, I received four letters from Guthy Renker demanding that I pay the amount that I apparently owed for the unauthorised order (which, funny enough, never arrived on my doorstep). I choose the word 'demand', because on their letter, I had two options - 1) pay up or 2) do not pay up or we turn you over to a collection agency. Nowhere on the letter did it state that if I must raise a dispute or have any sort of grievances, please contact... (no number supplied!). I found this quite rude. Of course, I refused to pay what I did not owe and was turned over to a collection agency six months later.

I value my time a lot more than money so I ended up paying what they thought I owed. In saying that, I was still very angry and frustrated about the whole thing, which should never have happened in the first place. Guthy Renker are only growing larger everyday because of their celebrity endorsements, not because of their exceptional customer service, or their high quality products, or honesty in dealing with the public. Bottom line from my experience: pay the extra dollar to buy these products elsewhere if you can, do not bother with Guthy Renker or you will end up with a massive headache, and a lighter purse.

• He
                  Helena McNally May 01, 2014

I want to cancel my proactive completely n n stop payments coming out my account I only needed it once for my wedding don't need it anymore please take me of system n cancel. My name is Helena McNally and my customer number is [protected]

Guthy-Renker CorporationI cancelled my order twice

Doing business as Pro-Active and Sheer Cover, after a trail sample, I cancelled my order twice, rec'd a confirmation email for cancellation !

Guthy Renker Bad service

Cancelled future "automated" orders...got billed another $50 3 months later. When i called Gunthy Renker to have the charges reversed and to explain that i had cancelled these orders months ago the rep called me a liar!!! Terrible service, terrible product...does not do the job for the money. Service Rep: Susan #2137126. This is the lady i talked to...she told me: i'm sorry miss, but if you had really called, it would be noted on here...maybe you THINK you called in your head but really didn't!!! This is customer service?? Then she tells me i WILL get another shipment and i WILL be cahrged another $50!!! Is this for real Gunthy Renker??

Guthy Renker Deceptive sales practices

After having not one but THREE experiences with Guthy-Renker, I felt it important to warn other consumers about their deceptive sales practices. When ordering what I assume to be anything but have personally experienced it with their Sheer Cover, Wen and some vitamin they sell, their products appear to be a one time order or "free gift" but are in fact part of a SUBSCRIPTION. I purchased Wen for a gift, knew it was a Guthy-Renker product so I carefully looked for any hidden subscription, didn't see it so I placed my order. To my surprise, approx. one month later, I see the charges appear and immediatley called to cancel the hidden subscription. Then, I see another charge only to find out the "free gift" subscription hadn't been cancelled when I called to cancel the product I originally ordered. Cancelling them can be very difficult and convoluted at times requiring speaking to numerous people. Lots of time on the phone between Guthy-Renker and my card company. Don't get sucked into their products; save yourself the headache and go to a store for your products.