Greyhoundrefused refund and threatened for asking for head office information by station supervisor of greyhound

C

1) We travelled on a pre-purchased ticket from Cleveland, Ohio, USA to Columbus Ohio, USA to Springfield, OHIO, USA on August 18, 2011. When we arrived at Greyhound station at Columbus, Ohio, we were informed by the Caucasian-white, female agent at the Greyhound customer-service counter, who identified herself as Ms. Diane, that the next bus to Springfield would not be UNTIL OVER 14 HOURS LATER. This was CONTRARY to what was told to us by Greyhound when we purchased our ticket initially. We were given to understand (when we purchased our ticket) that we would have to wait for NO more than 3 hours at Columbus for the connecting bus to Springfield.
2) Since we had a prior appointment at Springfield, Ohio, we were left with NO option, but to hire a taxi to take us from Cleveland to Springfield. We incurred taxi costs, as a consequence of Greyhound’s fault.
3) Therefore, we asked for a refund for our unused portion of the ticket. We were asked by Ms. Diane to speak to the Lead-supervisor. After making us wait for over 1 hour (and he was NOT busy, he was simply chatting with others and having coffee on the job, i.e. “shooting the breeze”), a rude man spoke to us. He declined to provide any name and NO professional accountability, in spite of us asking him for it. He displayed NO visible name-tag either. Description-wise, he was clean-shaven, brown-skinned, dark-haired, apparently middle-aged, male. Diane mentioned that his name was Eddie, and he was the 2nd shift supervisor.
4) This Eddie was extremely rude and had an offensive manner, and evidenced a BAD ATTITUDE. He spoke with a thick English accent, and had a poor command of English. He REFUSED to give us a refund, refused to provide his name, refused to give us the contact information for the Greyhound customer service office either, or anyone else that we could contact. He evidenced an ARBITRARY whimsical MANNER, and mentioned that he was “in-charge” and his decision was final. He was EXTREMELY DISCOURTEOUS AND UNHELPFUL, and walked away after muttering incomprehensibly in his broken English.
5) Needless to say, we were NOT the only customers and passengers who were at the receiving end and bore the brunt of the terrible attitude of this lead-supervisor Eddie. There were AT LEAST two other passengers who suffered the same fate as us. As anyone may probably realize, many passengers may not take the trouble to contact Greyhound, especially since this SUPERVISOR Eddie refused to provide ANY escalation-of-concern information and REFUSED to even provide the contact information for the head-office. All Eddie did was to THREATEN to call the police and Security to have passengers Arrested IF anyone questioned him for the rationale for his EVIDENCED ARROGANT MANNER.
6) WHY do Greyhound staff (ESPECIALLY supervisors) display NO visible name-tag AND NO professional accountability, as is done by most professional organizations?
7) It is EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING TO note that Greyhound employs supervisors of such a BAD calibre as this Eddie within it’s organization. As anyone may very well realize, we are a small sampling of the entire customer public. Furthermore, the best advertisement ANY business carries is by word-of-mouth, IRRESPECTIVE of how many dollars it may spend on costly advertising. Put yourself in our shoes. What would you tell people that you know about Greyhound? And would you want to travel by Greyhound again?

• Mm
    Mmmmm123 Oct 03, 2011

I have gone Greyhound a few times and it's usually an odd experience. One driver kept falling asleep-his head kept bobbing-I watched him intently the whole time ready to grab him once he gave in to the 'nods' ( thankfully he didn't succumb), another station was full of, well, weirdos-one unbathed man plugged in Christmas lights and swayed dramatically in prayer (?- meditation?) and many were the homeless just looking for warmth- the weirdos were the security people making them leave (as far as I am concerned). But the oddest was my trip to Detroit and the German bus driver. He told us the scheduled bus was really full and a much less crowded one was coming in 10 minutes if any of us wanted to wait. A few of us did. That darn bus didn't come for 4 hrs! My husband called to see if I was almost to Detroit and I told him I was still at the home station!! It was a horribly wintry day and would be slow moving anyways but, ugh! The bus driver sat by me in at the station and started cussing about the missing bus- and it was missing -he could not get any feedback from it or where it was. We talked and he told me all about his life in Germany where he was once a pilot. Very nice, gregarious, if just a little off man, who was so upset by the missing bus I was comforting him. Finally it arrived and we boarded and took off. About half way to Detroit he goes on the speaker and asks us if we mind going about 20 minutes out of our way to pick up a fellow traveler who accidentally got left behind on a pee break at a gas station. He had us vote. We voted to pick him up. I thought he was such a nice guy but when we picked up the poor guy our bus driver turned on him and started yelling him. I am not sure why. Anyhow on we went. Oh and he yelled at me for talking too loud on my cell phone but, truth be told, I was - because my husband could not hear me but still, we were such good buddies at the station, I soothed him! Yeah so he was gettiing crabby and I was getting worried because it was about 8 hours into the trip and I realized that my ride from the station in Detroit would have started drinking by now- drinks from 5 PM on. But in the end I made it there and my ride was sober ( yay) but mad that he had to wait to drink. So the moral is if you go Greyhound don't expect things to go smoothly, sit back and enjoy the weirdness.