Goodwill Industriesrude managers

I went to the Goodwill store in Brandon, FL located on highway 60. I found a purse that I really liked, especially since it appeared to be unused. However, there was not a price tag on the bag. So, instead of being dishonest and stealing a price tag from another item, I asked one of the girls in the back to please tell me how much the purse would cost. She came back and told me it would be $10.00!!! Here reason was that it was a name brand purse. I thought this was unreasonable since the rest of the purses (they have at least 100 in the store since it is a very large store) were priced $5.00 or less. Many of them were name brands!!! So, I asked the cashier if she would reduce the price to $5.00 like the rest of the purses. She was very rude and told me that they cannot change the price once they price the items. I asked to speak to a manager and instead of getting me in contact with her manager, she rudely re-stated what she had already told me. I asked her again, if I could please speak with a manager. Instead of allowing me to talk to the manager she walked over to the manager with the purse and started whispering to her. I then asked the manager to please price the purse the way the rest were priced because I did not feel the price was fair or correct. She WAS extremely rude and told me the same thing the cashier told me. I showed her another name brand purse that actually retails higher in stores and asked why it was priced $5.00 instead of $10.00. She just said the price was set in stone. I was very disappointed with how she handled the situation. I would very much like to speak with corporate or anyone who cares enough to make sure that these stores actually hold up to the values they so proudly say they represent. The manager's name was Allana. If anyone knows how we can get these complaints to the right hands, please contact me. Thanks!

• Na
    Nadine belman Dec 12, 2020

Ridiculous prices at the Tom lenard drive in Glen Allen, va goodwill store. When we inquired to the manager, Stephanie that same brand new items are $10 -$20 more than what it was listed., she didn't admit. We don't like it, then we don't buy it. That rude.
    Purse : brand ne $98. Stire price: $70. Set of plates 40 pieces. Brand new for $190. Goodwill price; $170. Ridiculous. This is used stuff. It would be better to buy such stuff from the factory at least you can get more discount. Employees at that store were so stressed from the new management and .compkained about the new management

• Ou
    Outofthebox Sep 14, 2020

I am currently standing outside the Verona WI goodwill. I spent close to $100 with multiple items. The time is currently 9:38 pm. At the end of the sale I was debating on whether or not to buy the last pair of shoes. I told her I didn’t want them. She rang them up accidentally, perhaps because I was wearing a mask and she misunderstood. As I was putting my belongings in the car I realized that I had purchased the shoes. It was about 9:05, they were waiting for me to bring back the cart. I informed the employee who rang me up that I didn’t want the shoes and she said they were closed. I said I understood, and would be happy to bring them back tomorrow. I just wanted assurance I would receive my form of payment back as opposed to a store credit. She told me she would get a manager. So after explaining to what I thought was the manager the situation, he told me he didn’t know as he just started the job and was training as an assistant manager. I said I want to speak. to the manager and he said she’s busy “running around like a chicken with ...” I said nothing is as important as your customers. He said he would get her. The tint is now 9:45 and she never came. I have taken a picture with time date stamp & receipt. This is completely unacceptable in so many ways. I stood here to see how long it would take.

• Ha
    Hazel Hines Jun 08, 2020

Hazel hines on 6/6/2020 I was at the goodwill outlet store 553 fairview av north saint paul mn
    Rude asst: manger reberta allen now here the thing, I was walking in line to shop, and I was going the wrong way and reberta allen said that I got to go the around, so I went around and then I got to my destination reberta came up to me and start talking rude to me with no respect, (she said get back there you going the wrong way, and I said to her didn't have to hollow at me. then she start to talk very loud in front of the customer, I also said to her what is wrong with you? then she went to get the manger and I told him about her being so rude, so he ask her what happen? she said I was about to run over a customer. wow" just not true all these yrs I been coming to goodwill outlet I have never heard or seen customer about to run over another customer with a cart. I been shopping at goodwill outlet for 25yr and never have been treated this way by any or the manger, only reberta allen.
    Some of the people that she work with don't like her rudeness, the way she talk about the worker in there face calling then out or their name. reberta allen she's never friendly to the customer and she don't smile or greet the customer, but the staff or nice to the customer. reberta allen don't know show to deal customer. unfortunately she don't know how to deal with the public she is so unprofessional. around 2018 this time, roberta allen grab my finger and bent it, you should have video of it, what happen and I report it to the top manger next door of goodwill. I also file a complaint. I haven heard anything from you people about this matter, I hope to hear from you soon. I feel sorry for reberta allen if she become a manger at the goodwill outlet store, she will run all the customer away. I hope to hear from you soon, I am always at goodwill outlet store shopping for my store.

• Pi
    pissed1945 Sep 30, 2019

The valdosta ga at 1000 n saint augustine rd the worker is very rude they will hold the merchandise and get what they want first for there families and friends some of the worker have a bad attitude like ms. sherkira she is a very nasty person they over price almost everything in the store except for there families and friends they make sure they take the jewelry the nice furnture and clothes shoes everyone be complainting about this store they need a new management team stop going to this store until they do something about the people there

• Li
    lisa reynolds Sep 26, 2019

Goodwill and Their Rip Off Return Policy!
    Goodwill gets their merchandise FREE it is donated to them! It's pretty bad when you can walk into a Goodwill and see dollar tree items marked up to or pay 5.00 or see clothing that you could buy at Ross for the same price brand new! What really takes the cake though is the Goodwill's exchange policy. Do you know that most of them now days do not exchange items even if the price is still on the item and you have your receipt? I purchased two fans, I checked and made sure they worked before I bought them. I took them home and turned them both on. One worked fine the other started smoking after about 10 minutes. The very next day after making the purchase I took the one that started smoking back to the store with the receipt and the tag still on it. I explained to them that they sold me a faulty item, that it turns on and is fine for a while but then gets hot and starts smoking. They refused to do and exchange because it was against company policy. PLEASE if you are going to donate your items DO NOT DONATE TO GOODWILL! They are ripping people off! There are plenty of churches and NONPROFIT'S that you can be sure would really be helping people in need.
    Goodwill would let your grandmother on a fixed income buy an item and not even have the decency to let her exchange the item even if she has a receipt.
    There is No Goodwill about Goodwill when they rip off their customers!

Jan Caroline Apr 13, 2019

I live in Salem Oregon. I have multiple stories about how rude and horrible the employees are at the "bins" on Portland Rd. After 19 years of shopping and spending thousands of dollars and donating thousands of dollars as well, the price per pound went up 30% in one weekend. I have stopped going for the most part, but I do occasionally waltz in a half an hour before they close. The other day I arrived at 7:40pm knowing full well that they closed at 8pm and being the experienced bin shopper that I am I intended to line up at 7:55pm. As soon as I arrived I was approached by the manager who forcefully informed me that I needed to go line up to pay. I told him that I would line up at 7:55pm since the store closed at 8pm. We argued back and forth with both of us repeating ourselves. I told him that if he showed me the sign that said I had to line up at 7:45pm that would be nice. He told me that he didn't have to have a sign. He told me that he was going to have to ask me to leave if I didn't immediately go up to the front and get in line. I suggested that he call the police so that I could explain to them about his behavior. He said he called them but no one ever showed up. While this discussion was going on I managed to gather up some items. I went over to the shoe area and got my mom who has Alzheimer's and told her we had to go. The manager had his eyes on me the entire time. He even stared me down as I made my purchase. I asked the gentleman in line behind me if he would like to go in with me (the more the stuff weighs the better the bargain). He said that he would. While I am trying to pay my credit card wouldn't take ( I knew if was fine as the balance was paid in full and I use my credit cards in order to get points for travel). The cashier, who was very kind was feeling anxious and I told her to not worry that I would just use my bank card. The manager meanwhile was staring me down the entire time. He gave me a sticky note with his name and his manager's name and a phone number. As soon as we got in the parking lot I was met by 2 other people who were outraged by the situation and we exchanged phone numbers. They expressed to me similar incidents that they themselves had had. When my mother and I got in the car I called the number on the sticky note and the manager answered. I thought an answering machine would come on. The entire time the manager was peering out the front window of the store. I wrote out what had transpired and sent it to somewhere in the Goodwill universe. All of this happened on a Monday. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday went by, Friday at 6:05pm I had received a call back from a man from Goodwill. I thought I was finally going to be met with some empathy, however, the man told me that he had to believe the employee over me. I cannot believe this happened. I am a friendly person and a nice and appreciative shopper who has spent, as I said thousands of dollars at the Goodwill.

• Gi
    Ginger Carol Aug 25, 2018

There are bargains to be made at Good Will. I became a widow a couple years ago and broke up housekeeping, to exhausted to fool with yard selling or estate selling it. I donated about $3, 500.00 of furniture to Good Will. It was very fine furniture, retail about $6, 000.00. About a year later I went in there to pick up a couple of things and was at the counter and had about .85 cents due change coming back. The cashier then said "would you like for me to round this off and us keep the change" I politely responded... "yes, you may round it off to the nearest dollar and give it back to me" She didn't day anything. I really think it is wrong and should be AGAINST THE LAW TO SOLICIT CUSTOMERS for their due back change.
    It would be more professional if they just said "would you like to make a donation"?

• Gr
    Gracie McGhinnis May 04, 2018

I have gone to Goodwill in Boone, NC for two days in a row on my lunch hr. trying to buy several blouses. They have one cashier (which is usually the case) and a good 9 or 10 people in line (some with buggies full). Both days I have had to just leave my stuff and walk out. Why are they too cheap to hire enough people (especially during lunch hr.) to open two cash registers? The reviewer above who worked there pretty says they don't care about anyone, which is a pretty sad situation for a business that was once a charity that claimed to help the poor. I have donated stuff to Goodwill a thousand times over the years (and sometimes new stuff). They wouldn't be in business without the donors, and yet they have rude, crappy employees, not enough employees, and they don't seem to give a damn. I think I'm done with Goodwill!

• Ug
    Uglyman May 15, 2017

There are too many folks that don't seem to understand that they don't care if you don't like the pricing. They don't care if you call corporate. They actually don't care if you shop there. They are only trying to earn a buck. They don't want to take donations. They throw most of them in the trash anyhow. They laugh and talk about how stupid folks are that ask for lower prices. They talk about the donors like dogs. How do I know? My best friend is a store manager and boy does he have tales to tell. They also don't care about the workers. They are meaningless as well!

• Ju
    Justa Girl Mar 08, 2017

They absolutely will not lower prices on items already marked. In fact to do so is grounds for dismissal. A store manager certainly is not going to lose their job by lowering prices. What reason would they risk their job by lowering prices for? It is very funny to see people begging for lower prices and then threatening to call corporate if they don't get their way. The company wants to get top dollar for merchandise so that they can fund their mission. Period. They do not care if you like the prices or not because someone else will come along and purchase without complaining. Please stop asking for lower prices. You will be wasting your breath if you do.

mary snow Feb 01, 2017

The goodwill on 192 Melbourne Fl has a table that is meant for kids and we have grown people sitting at it for hours they block others with there carts and I asked them please move the table to another area in the store or get rid of it since kids never use it . I have been told by others that they are blocking them also . Something needs to be done please. Even my sister says she will not shop at that store anymore. Thank you Mary

• Mi
    mimip Oct 26, 2016

, I have not received any answers on the below, but you can add this to your list to mgmt. All military discounts in Stevensons Ranch and Bouquet Canyon (both in Santa Clarita, California) work just fine in the computer. Canyon Country computer does not accept military discount of 15% on Mondays. We were told something was wrong with the computer. So we were not given our 15% discount. Went there today and was told it still is not working. Advise when this will be remedied.
    Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:30 PM
    To: Web Information Group
    Subject: some questions

1. why did you change your discounts for seniors and veterans, you actually made it so they only can come in once a week
    2. why is your selling price now 40% higher, your above discounts do not compensate for the increase
    3. Have you cut down on your staff to save on overhead
    4. Notice that your stores are getting sloppier
    5. why does your CEO make such a profit on product he pays nothing for

[email protected]

• Sep 30, 2016

These are the restrooms we are supposed to be clean in, and the area we should have to get the store clean. I have left due to unsanitary health conditions.

• Do
    Doug Clemens Jun 15, 2016

Here in Kansas they ask you to round up your payment to the next dollar amount. How they get away with this is beyond me. The other day I purchased a shirt and went to pay. The cashier folded the shirt and was turning to place it in a plastic bag while asking me if I wanted to round up to the next dollar and I replied no where upon she stopped and then placed the shirt on the counter without placing it in the bag. She then proceeded to give me my change and said goodbye and I looked her in the eye and said I want the shirt to be placed in a bag and she reluctantly did so. They try to put you on the spot to make more money which they say goes to help people but there is no accounting of where the money goes to. I feel this is illegal an have filed complaints with the state's attorney generals office to look into.

• Ug
    Uglyman May 15, 2017

@Doug Clemens Why are you so angry about them asking for a few cents? Why don't you just quit shopping there? I'm sure they wouldn't care at all if you did.

• Ca
    Carol Ratto Jan 21, 2016

1/21/2016 at store #30 in Turlock, Ca I purchased a set of dishes as a gift, I asked the young lady to open the box so we can make sure none were missing. When the CSR next to her said the purple tag means it's new, so it would be a complete set. Opened the box to wash the dishes and found 1 cup, 1 bowl and 3 salad plates missing. We boxed everything back up and headed back to the store (less than 1 hour later we were denied a refund
    ($52.20) Against company policy since there was nothing damaged. I asked the supervisor who I could speak to above him, he gave me Corp Ofc number, I requested his name and the name of the CSR who was ducking behind the rack in the back.
    Naturally there was no answer to the 800 number I was given so now I am going on line in hopes of someone who can give me some answers, I am out a gift and feel like I have been robbed!
    Carol Ratto
    [email protected]

• Vi
    vi123 Jun 12, 2015

GoodWill is no longer Goodwill. I walked in that store here in Coral Reef Florida and the prices are ridiculous. A baby toy all dirty and nasty was priced at $10.00. My first thought was for that price I will just purchase it brand new at Walmart for $12.00 and germ free. To humanity out there please, forget Goodwill. Just post your items for free on Craigslist and I am sure it won't last a day. You will be really helping someone that needs it versus feeding Goodwill and their stores. They are a total scam. Claiming they help and their funds is to support what not BS!!!. They are taking advantage and their prices are disgusting knowing that these are used items and smelly. These stores are supposed to be for the needy. Do you think if we could pay those kind of prices we would walk into a freaking Goodwill Store? Like I said for that I will just purchase from Walmart. Disgusting I hope they take them down. They are only taking advantage and making profits. A living room clock was priced at $800 dollars!!! YES $800 DOLLARS at goodwill.
    Pothetic.

• Ge
    george stachura May 02, 2015

tried to inform them of a person who does tag swapping.later meets me at the
    exit to mafia style bully me.I guess they think they can harass anyone.filing a complaint with management if i can.I feel it is wrong.yes they have a tendicy to over price
    stuff.they never test anything.do not want to.I have seen the employees looks on their
    faces.I would never put up with management like that.

• Ca
    Can't afford Feb 20, 2015

Prices on items get marked up too high. I though donations are supposed to be priced so that less fortunate people can afford to buy when they can't buy anywhere else.

jasmime lyman Feb 03, 2015

I been working at the goodwill in Missouri city, TX . The managers don't give a rats tail about you they will kill you until they ready to hire some new employes first . When you tell the about an issue they don't do anything about . It's about time headquarters come up there and hire some new managers . Since they can't do there job . Last year a lady had resign.from her position because she was getting harassed by a customer and they never did. Nothing.about it. Also the lady still comes in the store harassing other customer a and employees

• Gi
    Ginger Snappy Dec 09, 2014

I shop Goodwill Thrift Shop in Great Bend, Kansas often and so does my family. My daughter in law was shopping and saw a PreciousMoments mug behind the display case and asked the associate to see it. The associate got the mug out of the display case and handed it to my daughter in law. My daughter in law told her she wanted to buy it, that is when the associate saw the price on the mug .99 and called for a price check. The manager came up and told her it was mismarked and the price was $2.99. My daughter in law was upset and left the store without buying it. Who are these people?

• Sr
    SRH0109 Oct 13, 2014

Goodwill on Orcutt Road in Santa Maria, CA. Angelica rude manager - she doesn't like white people ... she talks spanish to other people when I shop there. How rude. This store allows returns within 7 days of purchase. I always have a receipt. She double checks the clothes to make sure the colored tag is still attached. She's a real ###!

• Ev
    everydoghashisday Jan 18, 2014

Northern New Jersey has a few winners too. There are some good employees, but those with any authority are unbelievably ignorant and rude. The Assistant Manager at one store talks to customers and employees as if she's out on the street, even cursing. I used to go there several times a week, and probably spent $75-$100 weekly. One day she asked why the price tags were coming off, and basically accused me of changing prices. When I asked her if that's what she was saying, she said no. I said, "I hope not." Those items each had two and three stickers on them - it's not likely a thief would go to such lengths on a $1 glass. I was furious - I am not a thief. More than once I've turned in things that were 'extras' - like a black pearl in a $1 wooden box, or other pieces of jewelry that were in with dishes. I've even paid more for things that were worth more. I used to spend a lot of money there, and hours helping them organize their stuff, because it drives me nuts. They don't know men's from women's jeans, they separate sets of things, and leave 'parts' wherever they end up. Well, I used to, not so much anymore. I stayed out of there for six months, now I try not to indulge my OCD if it's helping them.

As for pricing - same thing here. If you want it, it costs more. The managers will even change the price at the register and say somebody priced it wrong, or somebody changed the tag. How do they decide prices? They don't know either. So if you found a nice plate for $1, they may think it's too nice, and raise the price, or accuse you of changing it. In NJ that's illegal, retail laws favor the consumer - unless they witnessed a price change. If these are independently owned, does that make them franchises? GW should insist that every employee have basic manners, an understanding of retail etiquette, and some common sense. The managers should insist on nothing less than professional conduct from employees, including themselves. This behavior would not fly in the real retail world. Maybe district managers should hire a little further up the IQ scale. Even if they hire less qualified persons, at least they might be teachable.

Today, I thought maybe I would apply for an open position - maybe even make a difference. I have experience with retail, second-hand retail, collectibles, and employment law. There's a job for immigrant 'outreach, ' to locate, then prepare them for naturalization, among other things. OUTREACH for non-citizens? What about outreach for the soup kitchen families? Or the homeless shelter families? I thought they were a training and teaching organization that employs special needs persons, preparing them for 'life'. That job is more of a social services position. Could they really be just another support and protection for those who come here illegally? That's a pretty big effort to help a “targeted population” - do they do that for the special education schools? I know a young man who suffered cognitive losses following a medical condition. They will not hire him. He would make a great employee, and HE fits exactly the population GW claims to serve. I don’t get it. Corporate should care, it hurts the GW name and reputation.

• Ro
    Rosco Dash Dec 17, 2013

As being a participant of the BTW program of goodwill industry’s it has be an horrifying experince there are job developers that have no formal training to assist participant that have experince in the job market. This program that is funded by the city and state of NY has no idea how to place people. They send you on job interviews that either have been closed down or require having little to no education or experience. It seems that it is full of degenerates trying to assist degenerates was told that they only have unskilled jobs or jobs of low caliber pay. This organization should say that the place people in low paying minimum wage The shame of these people, talking down to you and making you feel sub-human because you are in a position of needing assistance There needs to be some type or reorganization of the structure of the staff. Do not attend this program if you are in a position to help or give advise of someone in this position please comment it would be greatly appreciated.

tomLosAngeles Nov 21, 2013

This was a surprise to me. ALL Goodwill locations are independently owned and operated. Yes. I just received a message from corporate and was told that complaints have to be addressed by that store's owners/management. So if you think that there will be resolution to your concern about the operation of Goodwill stores then good luck. The message was in response to my message to them about treatment at a Goodwill Clearance center in Los Angeles. So Goodwill Industries International could care less how their image is perpetuated locally because they will refer you to the management of that store to resolve the situation. Sounds like a free for all when it comes to Goodwill stores.

tomLosAngeles Nov 20, 2013

I wrote corporate about my experience which also included a reference that I had already contacted the local location and would be basing my perception of Goodwill Industries on whether the manager does contact me. I was told to re-contact them and basically they would not forward anything to the location to make them aware that corporate was aware of the situation. So by reading these reports I can only assume that corporate does not care what is said about location experiences. Tat they assume that there will be bad experiences and the customer just has to live with it being the person's problem and not what corporate should be concerned. This is sad because it represents that corporate encourages the idea that they will be attacked by disgruntled people and if they just wait it out nothing will come of it. They believe that they are so dominate that nothing will ever call them to be responsive and resolve situations that over time shape the public perception of the organization.

• Qu
    Quail Ridge Jun 02, 2013

The new manager that was hired in recently at the Granger, Indiana Goodwill is VERY rude. It was always a pleasure shopping there in the past because the staff was so very nice and outgoing (perhaps in part because it's a nice neighborhood in that area) and now... I'd really like to know who was in charge of making the decision to hire this woman! She is so rude to her staff and the customers alike. Terrible decision! Granger GW had a good rep! I live close (Quail Ridge) and have even donated a lot of stuff there but now... I'll just donate to other charities from now on. Or at least until that store improves.

janedoe2013 Feb 12, 2013

Goodwill is horrible. I worked there for 3 years in a mold infested room. We made a ton of money for them and when I got sick they threw me to the curb. No options to work else where in another building etc. They claim they're all about educating people, but instead had my workers comp denied and no help at all. No offers of help or anything just thanks and see you later... If they have million dollar stores all over the places why... do they needs grants from the states? I don't know what they're doing with all the free money but I do know when we hit our 50 thousand dollar goal. My supervisor and her's both... got brand new vehicles. we got nothing... so no, they're keeping money. In fact a few years back my super told me they we're on the verge of loosing their non-profit status and also refrain against hiring someone with disabilities because that person would slow down production.. thus less money earned for them. So no they're not there for the people... and they don't do what they say...

mark and tamara Jun 17, 2012

Ms. Jasmine Homes is a very non-professional manager of this GOODWILL store, located in Houston, TX., I45 @ 1960, 330 FM 1960 West .On the Fathers day, June, 17, 2012, my husband and I tried to buy 3 items from this store, and she didn’t accept to sell them to us.
    She said her products for sell are set on an on going exhibition and she said she needs to take pictures of all those things.
    We answered that we will wait until she will take pictures of all of them, but she said this may take longer….maybe too long…so wee need to give up.
    We asked her to sell us 3 Couch purses. Seeing that we are really interested in those items, she took them out, went back and hided them in her office, so we couldn’t have them anymore. We wanted to talk to her, to have a real explanation about why is she preferentially selling and why she refuses to sell to us but she turned her back to us.
    She was really very rude and very not professional, acting like all those items are her personal belongings and she will not sell to anybody but only to her friends. Next day none of those Couch purses were on the shelves.
    We think that Ms. Jasmine Homes needs to go back to school to learn some good manners, as she is not a good representative for the GOODwill, as she is not GOOD at all, but really a shame for the public service.
    We have a strong decision to additionally present this case to some local televisions and newspaper! People need to know how some selfish, non-educated individuals can get away with using public services in their own personal interest.

Mark Kasmarek - Vietnam veteran, and
    Tamara Oliver - Latin teacher, TX certified.

• Tr
    TrueShopper Jul 30, 2011

I have visited several Goodwill stores all over the country (FL, WA, OR, NY, MA and CA) and have found most of the workers to be decent people. However, the manager at the Camarillo store in So. CA rude, mean, and loud. I have seen her yell, berate and even bump into customers. The only way I can deal with her is to keep thinking that she apparently has personal issues and is not happy with her life for whatever reasons. I'm just wishing and hoping and praying that they replace this manager!

• Su
    Suzie O'Reilly May 16, 2011

I really like the Goodwill Stores in North Carolina, but I have had encounters with some very rude managers, especially the one off of Lynn Rd. in Raleigh, NC. This manager is very rude, I've seen her talk down to customers. She should be thankful she has a job. Some of the cashiers are rude as well. I have noticed that they have gotten better, maybe someone reported the rude behavior. I think you have to be very careful of how you treat people; afterall they are the ones who help with the salary of the goodwill employees by donating the items.

• Ro
    Robert Schwartzbauer Feb 03, 2011

I have called Good Will to register complaints with their pricing and have never had my calls answered. I have been shopping at various Good Will locations here in Southern California for the past 25 years and have watched the pricing vary from store to store. I would say in the last year when this country is in one of the worst recessions we have ever faced and so many people are either out of a job or are trying to find ways to make their families exist on the little income they have instead of "Good Will" realizing these needs they have raised prices. It is quite evident that the people who are at the corporate level have forgotten what the intention of this institution stood for. It was not only to help foster jobs and education for those in need that they would hire but to also provide sensible pricing of merchandise that would be donated by a caring public. I would purpose that someone in upper management took the time to travel their stores and take notes and than train those that have been placed in the position of pricing to a day of training by affording them a trip to local retail outlets to show them that the electrical appliances and clothing that are on sale in these stores should not be priced at the same price, or higher in some cases, since these items are donated and are used in most cases. Someone please educate these people and get a reality check. I don't place any blame on the workers in Good Will for I find most of them to be hard working and cheerful but I do place the blame on management for not providing them with the tool to do a better job.

tosha5252 Sep 16, 2010

so...are you hoping for some kind of praise or pat on the back for not going ahead and stealing a price tag from other merchandise?

• Th
    thecommonsense Jun 27, 2010

I work for a Goodwill in MN and I have to completely disagree with the pricing argument. And it's not because I work there.. I hate my job. My bosses are [censor]s and they treat their employees like crap. But, when it comes to pricing on the merchandise - it depends entirely on who priced the product. We have very limited and vague pricing guides so if one processor think its worth 5 dollars, another may think it is worth 10 dollars. Regardless of what the price is, it does to go charity and to helping others and 98% of the time you are getting the item a fraction of what MSRP would be. We will receive a $300 Coach purse and price it for $14.99. If you don't like the price then you're a cheap [censor] and don't deserve to have something that nice in the first place.

Also, we receive products from Target, KMart etc.. and price the items an excessive amount cheaper than what it would have cost in the store. These are NEW items.

From what I have learned working at Goodwill is that most people don't care where the money goes or what the store is there for. They just want to get items as cheap as possible and complain if they don't like the price.

Here is how the money you spend at Goodwill is used:

- rent including utilities
    - payroll
    - job placement and training for disabled workers
    - education

Also you have to think of supply and demand issues

The more people that shop at goodwill the more people the industry has to pay to keep up with the demand.

The quality of the Goods depends on where the store is located. Poorer neighborhoods receive less desirable donations while the richer neighborhoods get the good stuff. Why? Because poor people live in the poor neighborhood and only have used up poor people stuff to donate.

Also, its a common misconception that poor people shop at goodwill. Plenty if well-to-do people shop there as well.

As for working for Goodwill, they pay almost minimum wage, give really crappy raises, even to very deserving employees, they micro-manage and treat their employees like crap. If you ever wonder why all the employees are crabby and look miserable - Its because of the management.

• Rr
    rressler Dec 22, 2009

if you dont like the price f off dont by it, you cheap f go pay retail they have rent and payroll and need cash to susport there programs not for you to get $100 pocketbook for $5

• Ba
    badwillindustries Nov 01, 2009

That may not be a bad idea, speakup. Taking it to the Attorney General would open up a dialogue that would show GW for what they really are. I used to work there, and they treat their employees like dirt and make up reasons to fire bunches of them at a time so they don't have to pay medical benefits to them. This is what they did to me and 4 other workers a few months ago... and now they are trying to deny unemployment comp. to all of us saying that we violated one of their policies. They treat their employees like they treat their donations... like property that can be thrown away to make room for new "better" stuff. And they throw away TONS of great stuff that would help many people. GW needs to be taken down.

• Sp
    speakup Sep 17, 2009

I agree with complaints against Goodwill industries. So lets all get together and take it to the Attorney General consumer complaint dept. If yiour interested comment.

• Fl
    flashcds1 Jun 16, 2009

I totally agree with the complaints about goodwill. They get all their stuff donated. I thought goodwill was supposed to be there for people that couldn't afford to buy new. Well, that's the way it used to be. Now they THINK they are antique dealers and are ridiculous with their prices. The store in Annapolis, Md. is an example. They sell used pictures for $30 and up. In Pennsylvania the same pictures at goodwill are $5-$7. Annapolis goodwill are crooks.

Javon turner 0978 Sep 07, 2018

@flashcds1 Yes this complaint about Tamisha Davis is sexual assaulting customers touching their genital areas I really feel uncomfortable at the Goodwill Outlet can somebody please do something about this

• Yo
    youcancallmegod May 28, 2009

the cashier can't change the price once it's set. do you have any idea how often she probably hears that same stupid question? atleast 15 times a day. you should have known better than to make a scene out of it. a price is a price. you don't go into a store and try to bargain, that is really pathetic and it's goodwill for god's sake, it's already cheap. it's going to charity, seriously wake up. If you don't like the price, don't buy the friggin thing. some people are so ignorant.

• So
    SomeLogic Jan 20, 2019

@youcancallmegod Yes & it appears you are one of those ignorant people.

For example, you state: (Goodwill)

"... it's already cheap. it's going to charity"

First off, Goodwill does not donate to
    "charity" or any organization that I'm aware of & a description of their purpose (seen below ) can be found on their website.

"Goodwill Industries International Inc., or shortened to Goodwill, (stylized as goodwill) is an American nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that provides job training, employment placement services, and other community-based programs for people who have barriers preventing them from otherwise obtaining a job."

This states NOTHING about giving to any charity!
    Goodwill is a "non-profit", or "charity" when you give to Goodwill, you are in essence giving to charity not the other way around!

Also, a "non-profit" company does not mean they don't make a profit!

Nonprofits often make money as a result of their activities and use it to cover expenses/pay employees, this income can be essential to an organization's survival. As long as a nonprofit's activities are associated with the nonprofit's purpose, any profit made from them isn't taxable.

They are a business. Just like any other...except they get more "perks". You see,
    Non-profits enjoy the benefits of tax-exempt status and the protection of directors, officers, and members from personal liability. Because the mission of a nonprofit is to work toward the public good, the organization is eligible for benefits that are not applicable to for-profit organizations.

Perhaps you should get your information correct before you make a fool of yourself by calling "people" ignorant when you are one of them!

• Do
    Dondi Kelly Jan 17, 2020

@SomeLogic Most of what you are stating are all things that Goodwill ind. “Claim “to be!
    But ..there is much more to the story!!! Such as the way they treat employees like Bobbi, who was probably trying to juggle her good customer service skills as well as meet the requirements of the company!!!
    As a former Goodwill employee (in the same position as Bobbi ) I will say that Goodwill industries needs to reevaluate the core values that they state in their handbook.
    And to the customers and donors - be mindful and aware of the way that the employees are treated by management, whether it be the store mgmt or Corp.
    Management.
    Employees like Bobbi, who are at the front of the store,
    have to be the mouthpiece for mgmt (alot of the time ) and the sounding board for customers.

Yes the Goodwill corporation might be a nonprofit Corp. but being a Charity Corp that caters to hiring and training
    employees with various issues, I have to question!!!
    Goodwill may Hire and somewhat train these employees but the job requirements and the expectations that are put on these employees is rediculous!!!
    The core values of this company and the definition of Charity need to be reconsidered as well as the double standard practices that seem to be easily used by upper mgmt when needed.
    Some of these employees, no matter their situation, have had numerous setbacks and hardships that may be no fault of their own.
    How does this company think they are helping these employees??
    Believe it or not Goodwill industries but many of us still have personal standards and personal goals we would like to achieve . We also have Feelings and thoughts that are worth something!!!
    As well as good ideas that just might benefit Goodwill !!!
    Step back Goodwill and restructure your company not your storeplaces.
    Examine your policies and procedures manual and realize that the word charity doesn’t Always mean the way you incorporate it into your business strategy.
    Show some truthful and ongoing respect to your employees and customers!!!
    maybe you can then keep employees like Bobbi and happy and content customers!!!
    Without customers you will not have a business!

• Cg
    cgs Apr 18, 2009

Goodwill employees are all ###s, , the merchandise is DONATED to them all sales are 100% profit, a sale is a sale a few $$ better than nothing I too have gone thru this situation w/goodwill no tags/overpriced Or here in Texas they have auctions sold to the highest bidder, they dont know what they are doing, , they have 25 cent items trying to auction for $20 and they have the good stuff on the shelfs selling for for $2.99 They are extremely rude especially the ### Vickie in Cedar Park, , , People that are donating to goodwill please take your stuff to the Salvation Army thrift stores, they really appreciate it, and they know how to treat the customers, , or put it on CRAIGSLIST for free it'll be gone super fast, , DUMP GOODWILL!!

• Ba
    Barbie S Sep 05, 2019

@cgs Dude the manager over here in Elyria Ohio named YASMEEN IS A [censored]!! I found a pair of capris I liked so I waited patiently to pay since it seemed like only one young lady named Bobbi was working. She was running around back and forth and working with all the customers so I was patient. And continued to look. When I was done looking Bobbi had finished ringing others out and already in the back again being told to sort (by Yasmeen who was sitting in the back on her phone) when I went to the back to look for Bobbi, I had peeked through the curtain and asked politely if I could pay for my item (considering Bobbi was the only one running around that place I could have been dishonest myself and could have just walked out but I didn't I asked if I could pay for it and theanager wanted to snap and give me an attitude and dirty look as she says " yeaa.. duh" where I then said or I could just walk out with it (cuz before this point no one moved to help me) and she goes "yeah I don't think so again with an attitude then Bobbi got up to cash" me out as I walked away Bobby apologized for her managers behavior in which I thought was extremely rude and disrespectful and I wish someone would do something. I complained and the CEO person of Lorain named Craig basically brushed it off and believed Yasmeen when she said she didn't know anything about it. The girls then laughed at how stupid that dude is for believing.. all happened within two hours of me calling and reporting. It's disgusting and I won't be spending any more money at these places with ignorant [censored] managers!

[censored] you Goodwill I'll donate to salvation army 100