Having problems with General Motors?

General Motors Customer Service Contacts

1800 508 0000 (Mexico)
+1 313 556 5000 (United States)
100 Renaissance Center, P.O. Box 431301
Detroit, Illinois
United States - 48232-5170
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170

Canada
№163-005, 1908 Colonel Sam Drive, Oshawa, Ontario L1H 8P7

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with General Motors Customer Service. Initial General Motors complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for General Motors above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about General Motors. Discuss the issues you have had with General Motors and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

General Motors Complaints & Reviews

General Motorschevrolet beat

Dear Sir/Madam

I had purchased chevy beat 8 months back.After three months A/C started giving problems.I gave the vehicle in workshop and after 40 days vehicle was given to me in a horrible state. After a week back vehicle started giving problems again. Now again vehicle is in workshop which I don't intend to take back. Last three months I don't have a car. I am feeling ashamed that I trusted GM Motors. GM Motors is responsible for all the pains I have gone through. My vehicle no is 4049 and it is registered in Goa. I am planning to file a case against general motors for mental harrashment of a consumer.

• Bo
      bolaymanbby May 16, 2011

hi my name is bobby layman in dec 2006 i bought 2007 impala lt from berry bunker chevorlet in marion in.in 2008 i started haveing trouple with the molding around the windows the have 4 of them now i have 3 moore bad gm doesnt want to replace them even barry bunker lie to be said they had not seen any of this i went mathews buick the sam thang there i talk to the body shop all i am gettin is a run around i will tell u this i will let everybody no about gm tell i have turn it in better bussiness bureau about ur cars dont buy bobby layman [email protected] [protected] west 12 th st. marion in.46953

GM will not honor warrenty

Recently as Aug. 2010 ordered new crate motor from Scroggins Dicky for my 2000 GMC Sierra. After a local repair shop installed motor, used them before and had no problems, a serious tapping in the motor from the first start of the engine has been a problem. Several attempts to remedy the problem, have not changed the the situation. So I had the vehicle taken to the local dealer, and at my expence the dealer will look into the problem. Only I have about $4500.00 invested in this LS6 motor and don't believe I should be out more cash to repair a crate motor. Nothing was done internally to this motor, other than the oil pan was changed to fit my GMC. Now the dealer wants more cash to fix a problem that they claim was a result of the oil pan change. The warrenty isn't worth the paper it was written on, and as a life long chevy fan, I can now see why the government had to bail out these loosers. Don't bother trying to upgrade your GM its not worth it, go and buy a FORD.

General Motorsawful customer service

Our 2007 Cadillac DTS, 25, 000 miles, like new caught on fire while sitting in our carport after sitting there for several hours. It was determined that the fire was caused by a defective heating element in the windshield washer water dispenser(recalled and replaced several month previous to incident). We have written to GM, Detroit, MI, and Crest Cadillac in Hoover Alabama on several occasions. They do not feel they are responsible for replacing the car or compensating for our loss. We are only asking for the difference in what our insurance paid and the cost of the car plus monies to repair our carport ceiling which was also damaged in the fire. GM is difficult to deal with, and Gary Ivey, owner of Crest Cadillac refuses to even return our calls or meet with us.

• Bo
          BOKIE May 26, 2011

My Grandfather sold me his 2002 Impala because he could no longer drive and he needed money for medical care. I took the car to my shop and they told me the Intake manifold gasket was leaking oil all over the engine and this could start a fire. also rack and pinion leaking the power steering fluid out so the steering could go out at any time. another safety problem and the steering was making a clunking sound every time i turn the wheel. I called GM and they made me take the car to there dealer for an inspection and I had to pay 70, 00 dollars for this.Ron Wetphal said the same things about the car, Also they said its save to drive. Well my shop said don't drive the car because it could catch on fire or the steering could go out at any time causing a crash, This was a 90 year old mans car well maintained heated garage kept. He always took it to the dealer.my shop said there was no way the dealer would have missed the leaking gasket with the oil all over everything. So I called GM and explained that its a known fact the gaskets go out on those cars and the steering is a safety problem. Well after two weeks of the run around they could care less. there not paying for anything, and they don't care its my problem. Why cant they fix their defects? GM just does not care about there customers. my Grandfather took such good care of this car there is no reason for it to have over 3000.00 in repairs that are needed. I have a bad back and live on a fixed income and I needed this car to get me back and forth to the Dr. All can say IS GM you lost another customer I will never buy another GM car or truck.. Now I have to make car payments on a car that you think should run good but is a pile of junk. If anyone has herd of any class action suit I could join let me know

GMC — defective vehicle dashboard

Hello our names are Rigoberto & Concepcion Marentes our email is: [protected]@yahoo.com Our vehicle is a 2007...

General Motors/ Cheverlet Indiapoor service

I Own a Aveo U-VA.which I purchased about a year back. on the 21st of June 2010 I had an accident. My car was badly damaged, and I gave it for repairs to the Local Dealer, Radiant Motors, Guwahati, Assam, India.on the 22nd of June 2010. They promised to give back the vehicle on the 22nd of August . Inspite of regular phone calls and visit to the dealer workshop I was not delivered the vehicle until today. Today the vehicle was given to me without proper repairs. done.And since last week I received phone calls from the dealer 5 times to take the delivery of the vehicle and every time I went to take the delivery, the vehicle was not ready, thus wasting a lot of time and giving harrasement. So can you suggest what should I do.

General Motors / GMC Sierra 1500 Extended cab 4x4awful quality cars

I bought a used GMC Sierra 1500 Extended cab 4x4 in August of 2008. The speedometer was working when I drove it off the lot but on the way home I passed a local police car and glanced down at my speedometer and it was sitting on zero. It worked from time to time after that but now it spends most of its time sitting at 70 m.p.h. while the vehicle is parked andsitting still. I understand that GM was sued because of this problem and I called GM in Detroit and the person I talked to informed me that only the 2003 and 2004 Chevies and GMCs had thos problems. I beg to differ with you sir but my 2005 Sierra has this problem as well and the dealer wants $650.00 to repair this problem. I think this is GMs problem and not mine, when a speedometer doesnt work it is extremely dangerous. I dont know if the cruise control will work while the speedometer is messing up or not I know it works when the speedometer does work which is not very often. I think GM needs to stop patting themselves on the back for so called repaying the loans to the US Government and fix some of thes problems with thes vehicles before someone is tragically injured or even killed because of this problem.

answeringyourquestions Oct 13, 2010

ITS A SPECIAL COVERAGE AND YES, ITS LIMITED TO CERTAIN VEHICLES. NOT EVERYONES. SINCE I WORK AT GM, I CAN TELL YOU THE BUSINESS CASE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AND YOU WONT GET ASSISTANCE FROM US... SORRY BUT GOOD LUCK! :)

General Motors / 2004 Chevrolet Malibumy 2004 chevrolet malibu has almost caused me to lose my life and my son&s life

My 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Has almost caused me to lose my life and my son"s life. I tried to stop the vehicle 2 or more tijmes and the vehile keeps going. My son was on the free way in North Carolina and tried to stop and the vehicle turn around to the freeway. God was with him. The morning rush traffic had died down. Also, on 01/30/07, my son made a turn in the malibu and the car kept on going causing damage to the malibu. Again, God was with him.

General Motorsterrible quality trucks

We have owned three shev silverado pick ups. two of them were extended cabs and the 2005 is a four door HD duramax silverado. Every one of them has had door whistling noise caused from air getting through the weather stripping. We have tried adjusting the dooor striker in which if you get it too tight causes the door to shut hard. There is no adjustment on the hinges as they are welded. They have tried using a 2x4 to pull down on the door with little success. Why they quit putting adjustable hinges is a question. I figured when buying the 4 door would stop the noise. It was good for about three months. We have about 51, 000 miles on it. Also the truck is 99% highway use. The next truck will probably be a Toyota.

General Motorsthe paint on the outside cracked and the metal is rusting

The rear sliding window started leaking causing water to sit in the left rear cab corner. The paint on the outside cracked and the metal is rusting. All of this clearly happened under warranty but was not found until the vehicle was 2 months out of warranty. The warranty is 6 yrs or 100, 000 miles, my truck currently has only 80, 000 miles on it.

General Motors — unethical sales practices

As one of the millions of hurting Americans who are either unemployed or receiving minimum pay, I feel it i...

GM outsourced customer issues

I took my Checy Trailblazer in for a repair, when done I found out I paid List price for the part. A part available at GM parts was $224.00 The deleare charged me almost $450.00!.
                  When I tried to go thru customers relations, I had a person from anpother country telling me tough luck, they do not have to do anything, They would not tell me if the dealership even charged within GM corporation guidlines?
                  I was then told that she is the final person, no other will help me. And although no one would claim they over charged me, they offered me a 25% discount on a repair I needed. Yes it was and idiler pully they wanted just under $200.00 to fix. I would save 25%!!! So I did what any real american would do.. went to the part store and for $19.99 purchased the part and put it on myself.. 15 minutes!

Bottom line is, no reason to ever be loyal to GM.. We bailed them out, and they outsource customer relations! The have no regard, have no backbone and let dealerships do whatever they want! after 2 generations of GM and my third new one, it will be my last! Thank you GM for showing me you are anything but an american company!

General Motorswater links in spare tire well

We purchased a 2007 Chevy Equinox SUV on March 1, 2010 from Carmax. Around the end of May, 2010 we started noticing a odor in the vehicle. We tried airing the vehicle out on very hot days. This did not help. We then realized the smell was coming from the rear. I took the vehicle to Rizza Chevrolet in Broadview, IL on June 21, 2010. They found standing water in the spare tire well of the vehicle. Apparently, when the vehicle was being driven. The water would travel through the floor of the vehicle and soaked through the padding beneath the carpet of the SUV. Rizza stated that the water was coming in through the seams in the spare tire well of the vehicle. This is a manufacturing problem. I was told the spare tire was covered in mildew. I called Chevy Headquarters on June 22, 2010 @ 12:15pm CST, [protected]. I explained the situation to a gentlemen named Pat. I was given a Service Registration #71-[protected] and informed that they would contact Rizza Chevrolet and assign this to a District Specialist. On June 23, 2010, Pat from Chevy Headquarters in Kentucky [protected] called and mentioned that Robert Mendoza @ Rizza Chevrolet was playing phone tag. He stated that the District Manager would be contacting Rizza and myself tomorrow. There has been numerous telephone calls from June 21st to June 29, 2010 regarding this issue. I was finally informed on June 29, 2010 @ 5:17pm CST by a Stephen from Chevy Headquarters [protected] ext. 11029. GMC can't do anything. They only cover the vehicle for 3 years or 36, 000 miles which ever comes first. This is there final decision. They don't know if the previous owner was involved in a accident or if the windows had been broken or not. They will not cover this. I told Stephen that the mechanic at Rizza Chevrolet stated that the vehicle had not been in a accident. Rizza had removed everything in the rear of the vehicle. I mentioned that the Operations Manager from CarMax had looked the vehicle over at Rizza Chevrolet and agreed with the mechanic. This should be paid by Chevy. This is a manufacturing issue. How can CarMax be held accountable for this issue? Neither one of us built this vehicle.

General Motors / 2006 Chevy Equinox Lt.I am very disappointed in gm

I own a 2006 Chevy Equinox Lt. It has now started to give me problems because I can start it and shut it off and it doesn't want to start and it starts hard. I took it to the garage and they put it on the machine and the part inside the fuel pump is not letting gas stay and then it doesn't want to start. Now they have told me that it will cost me between $600 and $900 hundred dollars just for the fuel pump and then another $500 to $900 hundred dollars to install because a number of parts have to be removed to get to it. Now I want to know why this is so expensive to replace. I really like this suv and I'm really thinking about another one, but if parts for this is going to be that expensive I will have to rethink this. I do my oil changes and all other maintance that is done regularly. So I am very disappointed in GM. This is crazy so please help me.

GM Parts Department — poor service

I've been working on cars since 1964 and I have to depend on the parts people to get me the GM parts I...

General Motors — gm won't honor a warranty for a chevy aveo I own

GM won't honor a warranty for a chevy aveo i own. The timing belt broke, and they told me it was a...

General Motors / Chevy Silverado 1500buying this car was the worst mistake I have ever made

On Oct 19, 2009 I bought a new Silverado 1500. Worst mistake I ever made. On 10/30/09 I had to take it back to the dealer for sqeealing belts and brakes. They couldn't find anything. On 1/12/2010 I took it in for dashboard and lights dimming while driving. Couldn't find anything again but told me it was the alternator charging up. 2/8/10 took it in for the "bowtie" emblem peeling. They replaced it. 4/7/10 took in again for "bowtie" peeling again. Replaced again. 4/20/10 right rear shock went out while hauling nothing. Replaced the shock. 4/26/10 engine light came on. Took to dealer and they found it was the "fuel tank pressure sensor". They replaced it. 4/27/10 took to Chevy body shop to get the "orange peel" finish rubbed out. They had the vehicle 26 hours and did NOT give me a loaner. Left buffer swirl marks all over the tailgate. Took back 5/5/10 to have it buffed out again. Took back to the dealer twice for the On Star reading wrong. On Star would say my left front tire was low when the right front was completely flat. On 2/8/10 I had the tires filled with Nitrogen. 36 lbs pressure to be exact. A few days later the On Star read that one tire had 36 lbs, one had 37, one had 38, and one had 39. Took to dealer, they checked with their guage and they all read 36 lbs of pressure. I talked to Janice (my district rep) 6 times. Every time she told me that there had to be something GM could do to compensate me for the problems. All 6 times, she called me back the next day and said ' I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do". GM can't sell a quality vehicle or back the ones they do sell.

• Os
                            oscar m Jan 14, 2013

my 2007 its worst usin a quart of oil between oil changes or in less ten 3000 miles oil light comes up with less then 53000 miles
                            good luck to enyone that has a 5.3 vortec with active fuel managment

General Motorsauto repairs and warranty

In 2008 I bought a 2007 Chevy Aveo with 1700 miles on it. At 62000 miles, the timing belt broke. The dealer told me that the belt is a maintenance item that should have been replaced at 60000 miles, so I would have to pay it myself. I spoke to GM, who told me the same thing. I filed a complaint with BBB, which got a response from Yvonne of GM, who told me the same thing, except she added that had I been a considered a loyal GM customer, they would have probably honored it. the car is worth $3000, I owe $5000, and the repairs cost $2500. I am now without a car, can't afford to fix it, but still making payments and paying insurance. I told GM that, and they just repeated what they had told me before...they don't care and as long as they have their money, they have no further use for me, and have no desire to help me.

notdeadyett Jan 13, 2011

I am so sorry you had the unfortunate experience of having anything to do with GM.

General Motorspromise of free nav updates for first three years

I purchased a 2010 Chev Traverse this year in my deal I was promised 3 free years of Nav system updates. I contacted GM and they told me they were sorry but had discontinued these free updates. They want $199 for an updated Nav disc. How can you promise someone this and decide you are just going to discontinue this program. This cannot be legal. Is there anyone else with this problem a class action suit needs to be started GM needs to honor their promise to all the people who purchase a chev car with a nav system and promised these free updates for three years. Lets get organized and get our promised updates.

answeringyourquestions Oct 13, 2010

Who told you that you were going to have free upgrades? Was that in your contract? If its in your contract then you can talk legal, if not then sorry bub

General Motorswheel hubs

My 2006 Pontiac Torrent was brought in at the end of October 2009 to have wheel hubs changed at 36000 km on the vehicle. We only had one month remaining on the full warranty. They told us that the wheel hubs had 100 000km warranty on them, but what they failed to tell us was that they are only warrantied if vehicle still has full warranty. The wheel hubs failed after less then 5000km.The technician at are local GM dealer said that they where diffective. After two weeks of fighting with GM they still will not take responsiblity for deffetive parts. My wife and I have been GM customers for all of our adult life(7 GM vehicles) and we were in the process of trading in are Torrent for another GM vehicle, but not anymore, we are no longer going to purchase any GM vehicles and going to try and convince anybody else to do the same.

General Motorspaint coming off

I have a 2003 Express van with 97, 000 miles, the paint is coming off on the top of vehicle, the GM body shop told me it is a manufatures defect, GM will not do anything about it, they said it is the weather in your area, this paint on the sides is perfect condition, The place where i live is Arizona so we do not have any problem with weater, My freind has a 1994 chevy and the paint still looks like new. I f you have a GM product that the paint is coming off, please report it before they go broke again, now would you buy another GM product ?

• Ze
                                    Zestar Corporation Aug 15, 2011

Ask for the durability data. Consumers have been winning repaints on new and pre-owned vehicles across the country. Recent small claims court victories inlcude $4500 in Massachusetts and $5500 in California.

answeringyourquestions Oct 13, 2010

Youre out of warranty?? Tough :)