Gardening Express Logo

Gardening Express

Having problems with Gardening Express?

Gardening Express reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 6, 2011. The latest review Product that is dead and receiving no response from the company was posted on Mar 12, 2021. Gardening Express has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 121 reviews. Gardening Express has resolved 0 complaints.

Gardening Express Customer Service Contacts

1436 London Road
Southend-on-Sea
United Kingdom - SS92UL

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Gardening Express Customer Service. Initial Gardening Express complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Gardening Express above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Gardening Express. Discuss the issues you have had with Gardening Express and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Gardening Express Complaints & Reviews

Gardening Expressblechnum brasiliense 'volcano'

Order [protected]
Plant was ordered on 20th June.
Dispatch on box shows sent 27th June.
Plant arrived 1st July and was completely toast.
My wife opened box as i was away and found plant plant was
dead - we had a really hot spell between 27th and 1st July.
I did explain in my previous contact that we were away until 25th July
and requested a replacement plant be dispatched after that.
All of my previous purchases from you have been fine

Gardening Expressplant delivery and quality order ref [protected]

I received several plants 16 days after ordering them on 10/7/19 (4 days after they were dispatched) The box was all battered and inside several of the plants were diseased, the tubers were all limp and one of the plants was very leggy like it had been in the box for some time. I have requested to return the plants for a full refund.
    Despite opening a ticket 8 days ago, I still have not received a response, I have sent photos and requested to return the plants for a full refund...there is no customer service number or email so there is no way of following this up.
    This is the second time I have received sub-standard plans from them. Their customer service is appalling.
    Half of the plants are now dead, despite my efforts to revive them.

plant delivery and quality order ref [protected]

Gardening ExpressReceived dead plants

I waited for a very long time only to receive a box full of dead plants! I cannot get in contact with anyone for a refund. They have a ticket system for complaints but I'm still waiting for a reply 2 weeks on. I've never had such bad service! Terrible company! Avoid at all cost! Good reviews are probably fake! This company are making a lot of money and not providing a service and are getting away with it! It's so u fair!

• Va
          Valerie Downs Jun 03, 2020

I totally agree. I bought in April 2020 and received dying and yellowing pathetic plants. Also not in 1 litre pot as described. Have raised a support tivket, sent an email and numerous photos. No reply except automated response on 8 days. Stay away from this company you will not get a refund as they only want sales, no aftersale.

Gardening Expresswrong goods delivered by hermes tracking number [protected]

After waiting several weeks for my goods which I ordered from Gardening express, I received a mixed up order from Hermes delivery service. Instead of receiving a plant, I received a cricket bat!

I've tried to contact Hermes without success. I understand that my contract is with Gardening Express and therefore the responsibility lies with them. I have paid for my order and request an investigation.

The plant I ordered is for a 60th birthday present to my friend and I am desperate to receive it in time for her birthday.

Please help.

Jenny Coates

Gardening Express2 x plants

Absolute joke of a company with zero morals. AVOID! I ordered my mum 2 plants for her birthday. It took 2 weeks for them to arrive. The box was bashed up and the plants, 1 in particular, was dying and wilted. My mum who's a very keen gardener has said they're beyond salvage. You can't phone this company (alarm bells) but I managed to contact them via chat. I sent pictures and this was their reply (below). I order plants for my mum every year and the state these were in is nothing I've ever seen.

Having reviewed the photographs you sent over of your plants I can confirm that (although they are dry and some of the foliage is wilted), they are alive and will perk up (once planted out and cared for as per instructions).

Live plants are always going to be a little thirsty on delivery after being transported in a carton for a couple of days but please rest assured that they are tougher than they look and will perk up within a few days of being planted out and watered well.

2 x plants

Gardening Expressorder not received

I never received my order, nor a response to my emails to customer service. Don't order from these guys. They are a sham.

They should be embarrassed. I have waiting more than 4 weeks for my order and have had no contact. They said the order had been dispatched 2 weeks ago but let's be honest they plants will be dead by now.

The worst experience I've ever had buying anything online

• Ro
                Ron Meyer Jul 27, 2020

Think karma. they will definitely get theirs if you hope deeply enough. I wish you all the best

Gardening ExpressHelleborus "winter bells"

I placed an order on 1st May 2019 for Helleborus "Winter Bells" order number [protected] total value including p&p £15.94. I received my order on 16th May 2019. When I unpacked the plant I very pretty disappointed with it but thought it had just flowered so it will pick up shortly, anyway it now looks pretty grim and I honestly think it will struggle to survive.

I realise that the plant was at a reduced price, I assume due to fact that it had finished flowering.

I am sending a photo of the plant which is still in the original pot.

I await your reply.

Thank you for your attention to this notification of dissatisfaction.

Muriel Thornthwaite
              Grapes Barn
              Caldbeck
              Wigton
              Cumbria
              CA7 8DP

Helleborus "winter bells"
              Helleborus "winter bells"

Gardening ExpressOrder received eaten & full of slugs, dead and one plant had severe chlorosis

So when my order arrived, the first box was full of 2 different types of slugs 🐌, & the plants were covered in bird 💩
                These were really huge slugs 🐌 on really immature tiny plants.
                So when GE try to tell you here on trust pilot, that they hand pick and hand clean each plant what a load of bull, how did they miss these 3 large slugs & of 2 different varieties?!

Obviously I was furious, as I had just treat my garden with nemoslug. I was told to pick the slugs off and quarantine the plants & to trim the leaves! What leaves, the plants were immature already & the slugs had eaten half the leaves so there is nothing really left on the 4 plants they had for dinner & never mind that the slugs 🐌 could of laid eggs in the box plants, it's totally disgraceful.

When my other 2 parcels arrived all from the same order, this was a five day delay, they were stuck in a warehouse they looked like they had been kicked around everywhere. The courier actually delivered them with an awfully rude attitude.

4 plants were dead. One plant was flapping about in a 2 litre pot, it was really bad, you could see where it was an initial cutting started bag, where it had then potted very poorly rooted into a 7cm pot, then thrown into a 2 litre pot for dispatch out to customers, it hadn't even rooted properly in the starter bag let alone the 7cm pot, so I had a 2 litre pot of mud sent out with a tiny unrooted cutting.

Amazing after 5 days delay, I did actually have a few live plants in these 2 remaking boxes.

One plants had severe chlorosis. I had order 3 of these plants in this order, 2 arrived healthy and green and this one was completely YELLOW.

Marina advised me during a phone call that the nursery manager had advise her, that the leaves were yellow and not green because it was the old growth?! The plant is question is deciduous, so it actually looses all its leaves for winter. 🤷‍♂️
                I received this plant in May, so obviously it only had NEW growth on it, as was the start of its annual growth, so yet another load of bull from the nursery manager.

I was advised to plant the yellow plant out & treat it myself😡
                Obviously, one doesn't expect to get a new plant and have to treat it themselves for severe iron deficiency on arrival.

I like others initial went through the ticket process & I then rang them on the following number: 🔴[protected]🔴
                This is a LIVE phone number, I believe that it is there head office number.
                I must say that you do have to keep ringing this above number, but eventually it's does gets answered by a real person 😉

I spoke to a customer service manager on the above number.

Initially the customer service manager was helpful during our few phone calls, then she ghosted 👻 me & refused to reply for nearly 3 weeks, despite me sending regularly emails.

After speaking to customer service manager on the [protected] number, I did manage to get a refund for the 4 dead plants & the refund for these dead plants did arrived within I believe was 3-5 days.

I was told all the above regarding the plants that arrived with slugs, I was told there was nothing wrong with the plant with chlorosis and the plant flapping around in its starter bag that was not rooted in the 2litre pot all via email & was advised as they had refunded me for 4 dead plants my complaint was resolved.

I emailed them back & reactivated my ticket on support @ gardening express . freshdesk . Com & I advised that I was not happy with the response from the nursery manager.

My ticket & complaint was still active & it wasn't replied to again for 3 weeks, then they decided to email me to advise that them cancel my complaint & said that if I was not happy to send the plants back to them within 14 days and to send plants back in a sellable condition?!

Gardening Express were the ones who actually kept the ticket open for longer than the 14 days return period as they failed to respond to me further & I could hardly send the plants back to them in a sellable condition, as these remaining complaint plants WERE NOT ACTUALLY SENT OUT TO ME in a sellable condition, they were full of 🐌, half eaten, chlorotic, and not even rooted in there pots.

If you have any complaints you should report Gardening express to trading standards and watchdog.

This is my own personal, honestly review of my experience with Gardening express.

🔵my order number was [protected] placed on 17/05/19. I am more than happy to provide to trust pilot, all correspondence emails from GE, video pictures, should they wish to verify this honest review that I've given regarding my complaints.

I do hope that others find my review useful.

Gardening ExpressPlants that were missing from my order.

I placed an order on 10th May for 7 plants, my order was delivered on 20th May but 2 plants were missing on the delivery note it stated that they were "To Follow". I have tried to get in touch with Gardening Express by raising tickets and then by email but I still haven't had an explanation from them. They didn't mind taking my money for these plants but it is so difficult getting in touch with them, they are not on the phone so you can't actually speak to someone. My order number was [protected].

Miss A-B Jun 26, 2019

I had some serious issues & I rang head office number which is tel:01245 [protected] & spoke to a customer service manager You do have to keep ringing and they eventually answer it. They have blocked my review on trust pilot at present as they block any bad review. Hope the number helps

Gardening ExpressPair of lavender trees

Ordered on 15th May, these turned up on 28th May half dead and in a completely destroyed box. The plants are not fit for purpose and don't look anything alike. I have tried to get them returned but I don't expect to have to pay for this and I can't get any sense out of their 'customer service' as it's all through email and there is no number. I really wish I'd read the reviews for this site before I purchased - as I basically wouldn't have done it. I am one in a long line of hacked off customers. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS.

Pair of lavender trees

Miss A-B Jun 24, 2019

I have just posted a review along with their head office number. I managed to speak to customer service manager the number a couple of weeks back.

Hope it helps

Gardening ExpressI haven't had any response to my query

I wrote to you twice last week regarding a pair of lavender plants I have received that I am wholly unsatisfied with - they aren't a matching pair, are a lot smaller than advertised and not worth the money paid. I would like you to organise having these returned and a full refund. The box that they arrived in was all but destroyed by the courier but I could still package them up. Could you please respond to me to let me know this is possible.

Miss A-B Jun 27, 2019

You are most welcome. I search the internet and come across the number, I’ve got to say the customer service manager seems very startled when she answered the phone and realised that on the other end was a very unhappy customer😂

They do answer this number but may have to ring it a few times first. Although I assume that perhaps when to many customers ring on it, they may change the number.

I did manage to get a refund for a half of the damage -dead plants and then I got 👻

I feel customer should be able to contact them as their whole practice is just awful and should be shut down.

As for the providing the number, I believe that sharing is caring 😉

Good luck

• Ka
                          kate1984 Jun 27, 2019

They blocked my review too... interesting. Thank you for this!

Miss A-B Jun 26, 2019

Gardening ExpressBadly delivered plants. Dead. Non existent customer service

I ordered some plants.order No: [protected] They were delivered in a battered box upside down & dying.
                        Contacted via their ticket system send photographs & was told they were looking very healthy & have dies within 2 days of delivery. I have sent FB messages, Twitter mesages. Messages through their wed site NO response.
                        I have never come accross a company with such disregard for customers. Trust Pillot has many complaints the same.
                        All i have asked for is a refund & i expect them to honor that.

• Updated by NannyB · May 20, 2019

Have now taken my case through Resolver. Still no contact from this company.

Chissy May 22, 2019

Why is there an advert on this page for Gardening Express when its so bad.
                            Mine arrived all dead a month later

Gardening Express#14192 order requested delivery date

I placed an order for plants and included delivery date details as I would not be at home for a 2 week period. The plants were delivered 10 days before I was due to return home, on opening not surprisingly they are mouldy and dead. I raised a customer ticket 7 days ago and to date have not received a reply.

Unable to find a telephone number for Customer Service. My first and last time dealing with this company.

Gardening ExpressPlant delivery

I ordered my plants on 8th april. On the 15th april I had an email to sat they were being shipped by hermes. However hermes had no tracking info. By the 18th I was getting concerned where my plants were with a long hot bank holiday approaching. I emailed their customer support with no response. Today 23rd april they were delivered in a bashed about cardboard box in a very sorry state! Two were just mush in a pot starved of light and oxygen. The rest I don't think will survive. Again no response from customer service whatsoever.

Miss A-B Jun 25, 2019

I had some issues & I rang head office number which is tel:01245 [protected] & spoke to a customer service manager

Gardening ExpressNot received goods

Placed an order with gardening express on the 6th april, items were in stock paid for delivery, so I should of received my goods with in 5 days as promised, no goods received within the 5 days, so I emailed them, it is now the 19th april iv had no correspondence from them at all and still not received my goods, and they have taken my money straight away, this is not fair,

Gardening ExpressNon fulfilment of order

Placed order on 6 April.
                                Checked on 16 April - order had been dispatched
                                Checked again on 17 - no such order exists (order # [protected])
                                Tried to contact company via variety of means - no response at all
                                Complete radio silence
                                Checked the website - no direct means of contacting this company which in itself is very odd however if this is their standard tactic, it would make sense

Gardening ExpressOrder no:[protected] asplenium scolopendium harts tongue fern

I ordered these fern on 19th October and have still not received them, since your guarantee states
                                  3 -5 working days, it has now been 10 working days. It takes far too long for replies to my emails. I was disgusted during last week that was told that you were out of stock. I would like to know if stocks have been replenished, and when I can receive them, if not I would like an immediate refund. If I am unable to receive a reply as soon as possible then I will get my bank to proceed in getting my money back.
                                  Regards
                                  Margaret Fitch

Gardening Express — Damaged snake plant.

So I waited so excitedly for my new snake plant to arrive. When it arrive the box had been smashed up badly...

Gardening Express — Damaged plants

Below is copies of emails sent and received between myself and Gardening Express. Absolutely appalling...

Gardening Express — Little by way of customer service and very poor quality plants

I ordered on 21st July. It was shipped on 26th but tracking said it was damaged in transit on 28th and...