Ford Motor Companypeeling paint no warranty

My 2003 Ford Escape has peeling gold paint. It is coming off the lift gate, a place where it is unlikely to get stone chips. It was built in Kansas City. Ford says no one else has complained about this issue, yet I see it on a number of posts.

The local body shop says it was a factory defect, yet "customer service" says only a Ford engineer can make that claim. So where's the Ford engineer? Bring him on!

We need to inundate Ford with the VIN numbers of their vehicles with peeling paint. Are you with me?

• Ki
    kimmie1216 Aug 13, 2017

We have a 2017 Ford Escape that started with 1599 miles bubbling and peeling on driver door. We have had two repairs and now have other issues on a new car we bought with 6 miles. We have ask for a buy back but they are refusing we just went to arbitration on it and now Ford is saying that we have lost our warranty on these doors along with the 50000 corrosion protection. So we took back to the Certified Ford Dealer and because they altered the doors trying to repair the paint we have lost our warranty. They are saying we don't fall under lemon law because of it doesn't include safety or value of our vehicle which shows that is wrong losing the warranty should account for a lot.

George Hebert Dec 20, 2015

attitude ? i have driven cars since 1949 and never have i had a paint failure with those cars. I do not want to hear an excuse about the environment or any other lame excuse. A well prepared surface will give good adhesion to any type of paint.

George Hebert Dec 20, 2015

My 2007 Grand Marquis began peeling paint in the year 2008 when I removed a political sticker from the Deck Lid. Warranty took care of it. Later, paint began peeling and flecking from the Hood and Roof. Warranty took care of that. In Reno, NV, the right side was "keyed" . the Insurance took care of that. Today, the paint is flying off the driver's side, both doors, especially when it is washed. I have to pay for this repair of $1000, discount included. The car has been driven 111000 miles. The car works extremely well otherwise. NOTE: The next car, whether a Ford, GM or Chrysler full size vehicle; my intention will be to have guaranty on the paint, over and above the warranty, but a Guaranty, before I sign the cash purchase agreement. The primer has good adhesion, it is the color coat which is the problem.

norm b Sep 04, 2015

My hood is about half gone it's a 2013 fprd escape blue ford say's warranty expired won't fix it only 2 years old last ford i'll buy. Going to states att. office to file complaint. ford s---ks

• Cy
    Cyndi Kemeny Sep 01, 2015

I own a 2010 Ford Escape, it runs great, but its RUSTING. I went to the dealership I bought it from brand new and ask them if they had any other complaints about the paint and rusting and the service dept. said yes, many! I ask them to take pictures and to notify Ford to see if they would do something about it, the salesman said he would send them the complaint but said Ford probably won't do anything about it. Two weeks pass and I get a call from the dealership and says just that, they won't do anything. So I will refuse to purchase another Ford product again!!! I will also tell anybody looking to buy a vehicle NOT TO BUY A FORD! I wash, wax and keep my Escape in a garage, i don't expect to find rust on something that I paid $30, 000 for after only 5 years.

• Tk
    tkl4200 Jul 21, 2015

I'm going to court. I already bailed them out once me and all the other tax paying american's. Does Ford even remember that???? It must be nice to take from the little guy. Hopefully everyone comes together and boycotts ford until they remember the value of a customer.

TKL4200
    Austin TX

• La
    Laura Esparza May 27, 2015

I have 2004 Mercury Marquis ( white) it had small spot on trunk and around the back door seams started peeling, now the spots are huge and won't stop. The body shop said the whole car would have to be stripped and repainted. They told me it had to do something about the factory primer, that the paint not sticking to it. It's a shame. I bought this car in 2009 and there wasn't anything wrong with it. I really take care of my car and it looks terrible with all this paint coming off more and more. If it wasn't for that it would like new. It looks like a junkyard car. This is the 2nd Metcury Marquis I have owned. My first one was a 1995. This car didn't have this problem, . I loved my Mercury so much I bought the 2004, both were white. I really wish they would recall this car, as I love them and would buy another .I just wonder if anyone else had problems with any other colors. The police cars were crown Victorians, and I have seen a few of them doing the same thing. The police buy Taurus and chevy, or Ford Expeditions. Could anyone help me with this, as I would love to buy another Mercury, but this really turns me off.

Mark Reifel Aug 26, 2014

Ford recently declined to repair the bubbling paint on the hood of my 2012 Ford Explorer on the basis it is out-of-warranty due to mileage (about 51, 500 miles). Though Ford’s advertising regularly touts the quality of its products, its actions speak louder than its words. Based on my research, Ford has had well-publicized corrosion issues for some time but has failed to correct the issue. Perhaps Ford’s brainiac number crunchers estimated it would be more cost effective not to correct the issue. That is, the cost to fix the issue outweighs the impact of having customers complain about paint issues. Regardless of the economics, consumers who experience this issue are rightfully ticked-off as evidenced by the number of Internet posts.

The Company’s stance on this issue certainly causes one to question Ford’s commitment to stand behind its vehicles. Every company inevitably encounters product quality issues. What differentiates a world-class company from its competitors is its commitment to quickly resolving customer issues. Based on my experience, prospective buyers are encouraged to consider other car companies who are more committed to customer service. Ford should also consider sending its executives to a remedial marketing class.

Bottom line, spread the word about your poor experience with Ford and follow Zestar Corporation's suggestion about seeking a remedy in Small Claims Court.

• Wo
    WOG Jun 06, 2014

I have the same problem with my 2003 Ford Escape. How do we get Ford to repair and repaint. A body shop gaveme an estimate of $8000.00

Debbie L. Horton May 26, 2014

I have a 2010 Ford Taurus that is Pearl White in color. Recently someone backed into my car, only damage was a little paint chip on the back rear PLASTICE OR WHATEVER MATERIAL they use to make the bumpers, which are great since they are more flexible but the undercoat on this bumper is a dark Grey. First time I took my car to wash it, as soon as I directed the water near that spot the pearl white paint started flaking away. Now it continues to flake away. First, why would you use a dark gray undercoat plastic bumper instead of a light undercoat which at least wouldn't DRAW ATTENTION LIKE THE GRAY. So now even tho my car is still new in my mind, and very attractive vehicle, having this paint flaking away, takes away the beauty, and now ITS JUST A CAR!. WHICH JUST HAPPENS TO BE A FORD. I was a ford person until this issue. Very disappointed in quality on a nice designed car.

DEK1957 May 25, 2014

I will give that a try, thank you. I'm a disabled combat vet from Vietnam era and its tough to get around, especially if i had to sand it down myself. I have only one arm that works well and due to a spinal damage I received during a rocket attack, my ability to stand is seriously compromised. Being disabled, means I live on $1600.00 VA disability pension so that leaves little to $$$ for repainting of my trk. But this ole girl runs great and it’s paid for. But I’m moving back to the mid west, and they use salt up there on the road, without a decent paint, I have little protection from corrosion. You all know it won’t take long to rout away at unprotected mental. You can honestly see where surface rust is setting in around windows frames and the cab of the explorer already because the paint is flaking off. See the attached photos of the what the paint is doing. This is so bad that even the door jambs now have it!.

So you response is a glimmer of hope for me. Thanks so much for helping a old Vet out.

Thanks
    Dan K.
    Riverside CA,
    [email protected]

Zestar Corporation May 24, 2014

Dan, Check out the Ford Mercury Paint Peeling Facebook Site. Instructions can be obtained from that site in regard to obtaining a repaint. Two vehicle owners (Texas and Maryland) have won in small claims court on vehicles that were purchased pre-owned and 10 years old. Zestar Corporation, Novi, Michigan

DEK1957 May 08, 2014

I have a 2001 for explorer
    I have a 2001 for explorer that i purchased with a badly crack and
    checker boarding paint on the hood (it look like a mud field that has
    dried out in the sun) but the heat shield under the hood was missing so
    i figured that was the cause of the paint checkering. boy was i wrong!
    I was going to replace the hood and have it painted to match.
    But since the purchase, the entire rest of the vehicles paint is now
    checkering. Its been 3 yrs since my purchase and now the entire trk is
    experiencing the same paint problem. BTW, I have kept it garaged the
    entire time I have owned it. And I normally drive less then a 500 miles
    a month. I'm a service connected disabled VET, so getting around is
    physically a tough deal for me.

So I took it to a local ford dealers Body shop and they told me that
    FORD had serious problems with black paint issue in [protected]. But that
    mine was the worst they had ever seen. I asked him will ford stand
    behind their factory paint job, He told me to forget it, as ford will
    not honor a factory paint problem on a 2001, even though FORD knows its
    a factory defect.

I requested a estimate from the FORD Dealer and he gave me a written
    estimate of $9800.00. I ask why so much! He said it was the only way to
    stop the paint from continuing to checker and flake off. He said it had
    to be sand blasted to bare metal, I asked him, the entire truck and he
    said yes. He said the entire truck and to do so, that they needed to
    remove and disassemble all the windows and doors, bumpers and trim, and
    body, and then send it to a media blaster to remove the ALL THE FACTORY
    paint to bare metal. I wrote ford and Ford never responded and the
    Dealer just laughed at me. He told me to junk my truck was his best
    advice and buy a new one.

I took then took it to a private body shop and they said the same thing
    must be done, But they would only charge me $ 7800.00 to do it.

Can anyone help me with this matter. The private Body shop suggested
    that I get it vinyl wrapped that way it would at least look nice for a
    couple of years.

Thanks in advance
    Dan K.
    Riverside Ca,

Zestar Corporation Apr 19, 2014

Vehicle owners with issues pertaining to blistering/peeling paint on Ford vehicles have taken the automaker to small claims court. This has

resulted in vehicle owners winning repaints (some $5K and above). Owners have taken action and have received repaints or repayments in

NJ, MI, OR, NY, ID, IL, MA, MD, CA and TX. Most of the vehicles were out of warranty, many were pre-owned. However they still prevailed.

Details presented on the Ford Mercury Paint Peeling Facebook Site.

• Bl
    bltk Sep 24, 2012

I have a 2003 Grand Marquis. Paint is peeling off the top of the trunk. Body shop has shown where the paint is compromised all over the car. It appears to be a manufacturers defect.

• Jh
    Jhn Cofiell Jul 09, 2012

The paint on the hood of my 2010 Expedition is bubbling. I have a warranty (perferation warranty). They will fix it if it is all the way through. But to keep my warranty, i have to repair it before it goes through. So what warranty? That's like giving you flood insurance, but if something gets wet you ave to replace it.
    John Cofiell
    Dundalk MD

• Fr
    FrustratedFocusOwner Dec 01, 2011

I am also having a very difficult time with Ford Motor Parts. The Customer "Care" does not give off the impression that they give two hoots about the inconvience of them not being able to find a part for one of their products. I, too, agree. This will be my last vehicle from Ford.

John Fairbanks Jul 20, 2011

I have a 2007, Mercury. The transmission went out with only 79.000 miles. The cost of repairs(replacement) was $2658.17. Two weeks later, the air conditioning went out also. Costing me $1500.00 (approximately) A car that new(4 years old) should have been good for few thousand miles. Ford Motors will not help me in any of these repairs. There will never be another Ford product in my driveway. Would like some recource of action here.

Andy Nov 08, 2010

I have an 06 King Ranch Expedition. In June of this year I had it serviced at a local Ford Dealership, after almost $500.00 worth of work it still wasn't fixed. It need a heater hose. There is not one heater hose avaliable in the entire US. Evem with Ford working on trying to find one, still after all these months they say, sorry no can do.

• Do
    D O'Donnell Nov 08, 2010

please respond to my letter above...

• Do
    D O'Donnell Nov 08, 2010

we e mailed aprox 2 months ago and never heard anything from anyone...in re/ to our 2002 ford 250 super duty...rust asbove the rear tires/fender wells have some sort of great(not) idea of putting an absorbent material inside the fender...all it does is hold moister and now has rotted my otherwize beautiful truck that does not go off road and is washed everyweek and waxed 2-3 times a year...I have been told by a ford dealer in Conn that the metal used in this area has a lifetime warrenty and should be replaced...why has no one contacted me on this...I realluy would like this reparied but notat my expence...this truck costs me plenty and cannot afford to pay 800 to 1000 $ to fix the rot it has..please [email protected] you, concerned customer...

marvin alan harrell Nov 02, 2010

I OWN A 2006 F-150 AND HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SPARK PLUG PROBLEM, IT COST ME $981.20 TO GET THEM REPLACED. I FEEL FORD SHOULD HAVE TO REIMBURSE ALL CUSTOMERS THAT HAVE HAD TO HAVE THESE PLUGS CHANGED. I HAD ONE PIECE PLUGS INSTALLED WHEN I HAD PROBLEMS WITH ORIGNAL EQUIPMENT . THIS IS NOTHING BUT A SCAM BY FORD TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF THEIR CUSTOMERS.

MARVIN A. HARRELL
    WINDSOR VA.

• My wifes truck has the same problem, 2003 Escape with, I believe its called forest gold paint. It started when a very large section came off between the windshield and sunroof. It has since spread, the whole center seem of the roof is bare, and paint has started peeling off the front pass fender, hood and rear hatch. We bought the truck new, off the show room floor, yet when we take it to the local dealer (the one we bought it at is no longer in business) they tell us that it is not a Ford issue.. and I quote the guy that looked at it.."Good Luck buddy"...

• Tr
    Truldey Jul 05, 2010

I want to know what Ford's plans are on the spark plug problem that they are having. I want to know why you say that the customer is responsible for the repairs when it was Motorcraft that made the faulty product.

• Tr
    Tretare Apr 21, 2010

I cannot believe what I am reading. All the complaints and no result. What is Ford Motor thinking. Buy American-made for what, time on the computer complaining. Ford Motor best wake up because there is no more buy outs.

• Va
    Vancouver Island guy Mar 10, 2010

LOL, he is a ###...
    Educate yourself man, c'mon!

Zestar Corporation Feb 26, 2010

Ford recently lost Small Claims Paint Peeling Court Case.

Check out various links and Press Releases:

Good Luck,
    Zestar Corporation

• Mo
    momma carus Feb 23, 2010

I have a 2004 Explorer with the paint on just the hood peeling off. It's down to the metal! I also had a local repair shop tell me it was a poor job, and everyone knows Ford had an issue with paint during this model year. It's really a shame, because the paint on this vehicle has always been so shiny and beautiful - and the rest of the car still is. The hood is the only issue. I would love to find out how to get Ford to share in the cost of repainting. I'm taking it to my local Ford dealer this week. They are going to take pictures and submit to Ford. We'll see where that gets me.

• Fr
    frank krupski Sep 12, 2009

i am having the same problem with paint peeling off the roof of my 2004 explorer. it has only 52, 000 miles on it. i am having a problem anyone to help me get this resolved by ford. please lead me in the right direction.

• Di
    disgusted in detroit Jun 14, 2009

You are an absolute ###.It is just a name.Maybe Flex means flexible in the fact you can either put 7people in it or load it with some 2x4's.You are probably also decieved by the fact that e85(ethanol) is not an economical aternative to gasoline.E85 has to be subsidized by the federal government to even get it close to being an alternative fuel.Gasoline prices need to be around $5 a gal to even put it in the same ballpark as gasoline.If you fill a flex fuel vehicle with E85 expect to see your fuel mileage drop by 30% or more.which means gasoline needs to cost at least 30% more than E85 to be equal.Quit listening to the idiots in Washington and exploit your computer a little more.Lots of info out there that contradicts the dribble coming from Washington.

• Di
    disgusted in detroit Jun 14, 2009

I really don't think there is a valid complaint here.Sounds like the car was bought used so Ford should have absolutely no responsibilty in this case

• Ford Motor Company Mar 16, 2009

Emanuel, I am not sure what happened in your situation. I would recommend that you call Ford Customer Service Relationship Center at [protected]. Have your VIN, the repair order (if possible), the name of your dealership and the name of the person you spoke to at the dealership. The CRC Representative would be in the best position to help you resolve your concern. Thank you.

• Em
    emanuel Mar 15, 2009

i bought my car in july of 07 the other day i was driving down the road and my thermostat i guess froze up and caused the housing to blow the thermostat costs maybe 20 bucks but i paid 300 dollars for rerpairs to get the housing replaced

• To
    Tony Roer Nov 07, 2008

I have a white 2003 Ford Escape with peeling paint. It has about 110, 000 miles on it and runs great! However, it looks terrible. The body shop we use, says the metal was not prepared correctly and that is why the paint is peeling. In Arizona, we do not get the extreme weather conditions that other cars endure except the heat. After 5 years, the paint should not be peeling on the very top of the Escape. I am sure there are others that are having the same problem. I want it fixed by the company.

• Valerie Oct 31, 2008

They have created a vehicle called the "Flex". This name should be reserved for vehicles that use flex fuel. I feel like they are trying to trick people into buying a car they thing might be economical.

• Fa
    Faye Bowen Oct 27, 2008

I have a 2002 Taurus the paint is all peeling off, it looks like something you'd get from a junk yard. The motor is still good even with 130000 miles on. I'd just like for Ford to repaint it, any suggestions???? Thanks,