Fifth Third Bankfift third bank is a rip off!

I had overdraft protection on my account. Some how it was overdrawn by $1.45 they charged $6.00 a day fee on day 53 I attempted to view my balance at an ATM and it refused to show the Balance so I went into a Branch and was told the fees had accumulated to $624.00. I told them to close the account.I paid the $1.45 only. Now I recently get a statement from nationwide collection agency the balance is over $2000.00 and claiming on a closed account and now there are collection fees. imagine that! It could continue to increase but i refuse to pay. Please don't open your account with them it will not be safe.

• Da
    Dan Heaton Jan 06, 2007

Amazing, but unfortunately I believe it. I have been hit with $300 in overdraft charges in one day and have to watch my Fifth Third account like a hawk every day.... Last year they turned me down for a morgage, and will not increase my overdraft credit card account to more than about half my every 2 week paycheck. So I am changing banks.

You might consider suing them. You need to file disputes with all 3 major credit bureaus. You could consider filing complaints with the Federal Reserve. We all need to get after these crazy financial institutions, if they wont behave, we need to bring back more and more bank regulations.

Check out Christine's websites:

"On the bright side, there are a few people who are willing to sue and that's why I started the new Credit Litigation forum. Some info is free, but most litigation resources will be accessible only by either paying subscribers or litigants who contributed by posting useful information.

For credit repair please visit CreditForum.org. While it is closed to new questions, SEARCH works and I've answered just about any credit question at least once.

If you're serious about your credit, please subscribe to CreditFactors..

The blog for my suits is at CreditSuit.org and many of the filings are scanned and posted at CreditCourt.

My press releases and open letters are at http://mylitigation.net/

Of course there is a ton of great stuff posted here, SEARCH works!

- Christine"

Jacquelyn Thomas Feb 13, 2007

I was ripped off by Fifth Third with the credit card they offered with a 2% rebate on the first 6 months of purchases. I filled out the application and received the card, when I tried to get the rebate they said I did not have that type of card. The stated I was given a Platinum card with a loss interest rate. Well I was never informed I did not get the card with rebate that I had originally applied for and as for the low interest rate, it is 23%. I immediately cancelled my card and will have no further business with them and I want people to know what a unethical business it is.

• Me
    Me Mar 16, 2007

Yvette, I have an account with 5/3 and the only time anyone gets a $6.00 fee is when they leave their account negative for 3+ days. You would have had to continued to overdraw your account and never bring your account positive to owe them over $600. In order for a comment to have validity, you need to tell the whole story. There is a lot missing from yours. Best wishes to you.

• Rh
    Rhonda Onuszko Mar 30, 2007

Yvette is seriously irresponsible. She overdrew her account then was charged fees and only paid the overdraft amount. She SHOULD be assessed the fees.

James Pittman Aug 13, 2007

"Me" posted:

"Yvette, I have an account with 5/3 and the only time anyone gets a $6.00 fee is when they leave their account negative for 3+ days."

This claim is FALSE! My overdraft fees (after being ripped off by an online card hacker) began IMMEDIATELY and I have the statement to prove it.
    Not only did I NOT receive a notice of this illegal transaction (that was painfully obvious) they continue to ignore me and pile up the fees but offer NO HELP AT ALL! The amount of financial problems this bank has caused me and my family is CRIMINAL.

As for "Responsible-Rhonda" who wrote:
    "She SHOULD be assessed the fees."
    Keep banking at Fifth Third! It will happen to you too sooner or later :)

• Ka
    Kaya Colak Nov 10, 2007

Fifth Third Bank is the WORST BANK EVER! A senior manager in Grand Rapids, MI has put a hold on all my accounts because a commercial loan is in default. I will never bank with Fifth Third again and I suggest a boycott of Fifth Third Bank.

My fixed rate home loan interest rate was just jacked up two percent because of a RIDER which I had no idea about stating that after five years the loan becomes an ARM!

BOYCOTT FIFTH THIRD BANK!

• Al
    Alwayscorrect Aug 13, 2018

@Kaya Colak Your fixed rate home loan was never a fixed rate loan. It was always a 5/1 ARM. If you didn't read the rider, you are dumb.

• Le
    leroy jenkens Nov 23, 2007

Koya, instead of boycotting, why not try reading your loan documents before signing them or maybe not defaulting on loans. Seems like you've created problems for yourself and just can't handle the consequences without trying to blame somebody else. Good luck in life, you're going to need it.

Another Overcharged Dec 07, 2007

They do not do any service to the 'working class' who are already living from 'paycheck'. While their should be fees for overdrafts, it must be in a fair and reasonable manner. Fifth Third does neither. They take out withdrawals before the deposits starting with the highest 1st if that doesn't go through, none of them do (even if there is a sufficient balance to cover the remainder). You get charged $33 per item plus $6 per day. Most people only get paid once or twice a month. There needs to be a maximum charge limit ($100-$200) so that our entire paychecks are not sucked away from us for these excess fees (They have sucked out more that $1000/mth in fees because of their snowball effect they create). Most of us have children to feed and can't because of these excessive fees. We then can't pay the other necessary bills because the fees have sucked us dry. Sorry,but none of this is really in the signed contract where anyone can actually read.

• Th
    Thomas Stoll Dec 10, 2007

Fifth third can't even keep your account correctly. Basic addition and subtraction seem to be beyond them. They have no method of correcting THEIR mistakes and assume the customer is always wrong. They have PAID employees to go to complaint sites like this and take their side. Anyone who defends this bank is suspect.

• He
    Hellen Arteaga Dec 12, 2007

Fifth Third is the worst bank to deal with that I have ever seen.
    They do everything possible to increase their overdraft fees. We had a check returned which they charged 33 for then they charged an additional 33 for being overdrawn... so in other words a double whammy. When we contacted them their attitude was basically too bad tgat is our policy. I am so sick of these people something needs to be done.

• Me
    Melissa Kleinert Jan 04, 2008

I have been banking with 5/3 since I had a savings account started as an infant (used to be Old Kent Bank). After an incidents I had today, I've decided to switch banks. For YEARS if you deposited a check before 2pm on any business day, the funds became available THAT day. They changed their rules to hold onto the whole check, only making $100 available to the account holder.

They SAID that they sent a new disclosure back last summer to everyone (it was likely a small brocure with tiny wording that NO ONE reads). I had a $675 balance in my account, and the following day I deposited an additional $575 and then paid some bills. If you use your debit card, then the funds come out of your account IMMEDIATELY. However I had no idea that they would not consider that check for $575 as available in my account. Because they only made $100 available to me (making only $775 available), I was overdrawn by $122 after all purchases and bills were paid. I had several purchases that day, about 12 purchases total. Of those 12 purchases 7 of them were under $15 each, little misc things needed.

5/3 Bank decided not only can they hold my check and not make it available as funds in my account, they can take out the LARGEST debits first, and then the smallest and they charged me $33 per purchase. OF COURSE they took the 7 small purchases (under $15 each) and charged me $231 in overdraft fees! I'm sorry but that is just unethical. To charge $33 EACH for some purchases of $2.11, $5.35, $8.59, etc!?!? I mean come on, if you want to be fair, you charge one flat over draft fee depending on the TOTAL amount overdrawn. You don't charge for every $2 purchase, that's just not right.

I am convinced that this bank is unethical and not to be trusted with ANYONE'S money. You can't just take people's money like that. They are looking to piss people off. I will be researching a few other options for a new bank, some one who DOESN'T hold my money for 24 hours when deposited early on in the day. I should have just CASHED the check if that was the case! How ridiculous!

I could totally see if I was some person that was pushing my limits, but I just plain DIDN'T know! My husband and I make $90,000/year, it's not like we live paycheck to paycheck. We have savings, we just don't keep a large balance in our checking account. 5/3 bank is a bunch of crooks, do NOT trust your money with this bank. They give you a run around about how they will NOT reverse the fees because it's not a "bank error." In other words "your problem." What ever happened to making a customer happy? Look at the situation and do the RIGHT thing!

• Gr
    Greg Jan 07, 2008

This banking institution is definitely crooked. We have switched our direct deposits to our new bank, and are closing our account tomorrow. 8 years we have banked with them, then they started pulling this crooked BS early last year. Our banking practices have not changed, but their policies have changed and cost a A LOT of money. We will pay our last overdraft fees to these crooks tomorrow, and cut our losses. I hope more people follow us out the door.

Feel free to email us if you want to rebut our reasons for leaving. I can tell you that we live check to check and need the full amount of our payroll checks when we deposit them. I don't feel that 5/3 bank is helpfull to people in our situation and are only a line or two of legalese away from being criminals.

JoJo Jan 08, 2008

I agree that Fifth Third uses unethical practices. I reported my issue with the Better Business Bureau. I also deposited a payroll check and they held all but $100. My account went overdrawn because of this and was charged $330 in fees, however, I have overdraft protection. This still didn't help since they claim it expired 10 days prior and didn't automatically renew because I didn't activate the card back in 2004! However, I have had this protection since 1998. Unbelievable!

• Gr
    Greg Jan 08, 2008

Its done, we have paid the last of our alleged over draft charges, and closed our accounts. It is my sincere hope that these crooks will get caught and go out like the crooked ### holes that ran Enron.
    So long fifth turd!

• Te
    Ted Jan 28, 2008

I feel you on the overdrafts. My old bank charged me over $300 in a day due to overdrafts. It's bullcrap. I found this account online after a lot of searching
    It's $19.95 a month but you don't get charged any overdraft fees. I've actually overdrafted it several times already and nothing happens other than your account going into the negative. No fees, no $20-30 mystery charge. It's awesome. Hope this helps you out!

• Jj
    JJ T Mar 11, 2008

If people actually used a checkbook register, they would never overdraft. I agree that if you use money that is not there why shouldn't you receive an overdraft fee. You should balance your checkbook. You would never pay any fees if you just balanced your checkbook. How had is it to keep track of your spending. When people get carless with their spending, thats when fees start to happen. People need to just stop blaming banks for messing up their account, when it is all thier fault.

• Kr
    kristian magnuson Mar 25, 2008

I absolutely agree. Fifth Third should be shut down for a plethora of unethical practices. Deposits always hit much slower then withdrawals, so overdraft fees are assessed. Additionally, Fifth Third will draft the greatest withdrawal first, and then penalize each small withdrawal that follows. You could have several $33 overdraft fees for charges as small as $1 or 1 cent. Customer service is very difficult to work with and actually hung up on me several times after I brought mistakes they had made with my account to their attention.

WARNING...DO NOT BANK WITH FIFTH THIRD!!!

• Gi
    Gina Boltz May 27, 2008

5/3 = Harassment

My husband and I are long term 5/3 customers. That may be coming to an end.

We have a car loan from 5/3. Payments are due the 17th of each month, with a 10-day grace period as required by law. Since our own checks arrive on the 20th, we pay within that 10 day window. We always pay on time and have never missed a payment.

Every month 5/3 phones us with an automated message that connects to a live person (from India) reminding us the payment is due on the 17th. We have explained the situation several times. The calls continue.

This month, on Memorial Day weekend, the payment had been made. Yet 5/3 phoned us 4 times on Saturday morning telling us the payment is due. They called between 9-12 a.m, waking up guests who had arrived at 2: 00 a.m. the night before. We then spent the day with cranky kids and elders who were too tired to attend a family function. I filled out an Internet form complaining and received a prompt standard reply.

Monday morning, on MEMORIAL DAY -- a National Holiday -- they phoned again at 10:30 a.m. We told them the payment had been made and not to call back. They phoned again on Tuesday, the 27, at 11:25 a.m. Their excuse was that our payment made on the 24th wouldn't be logged until Tuesday evening at midnight.

To say we are furious is an understatement. We will be contacting an attorney.

Chris Jun 21, 2008

Fifth third bank is a disgrace to the banking industry. I just found out what they are doing is quite illegal as far as fees are concerned. They are charging customers fees for 'pre-authorizations' that have not even posted to a customer's account. I just contacted 3 different banks in the area and they all stated that this is illegal. You cannot charge a fee for a transaction that has not even posted to a customer's account. Fifth third even encourages this action by telling customers to that they have a 'matrix' and to use is when you can...They are nothing but a bunch of ###. Stay away from this bank!!!

• Ka
    Katrina L Walker Jun 28, 2008

I agree with majority of the complaints because, i can identify with them. i was going to overdraft protection until i read a complaint. fifth third bank do suck because they will get money out of you anyway that they can. i have many problems with 53third but, the one recently was today. i looked at my account and i see that they charged me fees three time in the same day. i had two transaction that came in at the same time, now the smaller transaction was covered but, they decided to put the bigger transaction through first knowing that there is not enough money in there to cover it, so that got me a fee, then they put the smaller one in there and by them putting the larger one in there first that cause the smaller transaction to get fees. then they charged me daily fees when my account was only negative three days. they quickly charged me daily fees therefore i got three overdraft fees in one day now tell me how that is fair? and for these people out there who is saying things like you brought it on your self they suck to. granted some people might do but majority of the people don't, and they sound just like the bank do !! they suck too!!! it is unfortunate that you have banks out there that will screw you right in your face and then try to tell you that your business matters and that they appreciate your business but, yet and still they tell you that is how there system is setup and they cannot help you.

• Sh
    shelly Jul 09, 2008

i agree 100%. my story is I requested to close my checking account with 5/3 bank at 11 am of 6/9. I have receipt proving that the account was closed, few weeks before closing the account I made sure that there was no transaction are going on the account. Few days before exactly on July 7 2008. I received the bank statement for that closed account I was shocked to see an overdraft fee on the account and charges totaling 177 dollars after long investigation and many calls to my local bank and there customer service I discovered that they did not close the account and allowed one more transaction after I closed it to show up in my account. I am trying to clear out this messy situation with the supporting documents I have but the bank is not cooperating. When I left the bank the teller told me that is it the bank is closed no transaction will be going and no transaction is showing on the system, I have no idea how a payment showed up in a few hours.how and fromwhere is payment showed up i donot know. i never arthurized this payment, why the teller did not spot that. Additionally I requested a copy of that transaction it was made on the day I closed the account at 3:45 pm where it will be processed the following day. The bank policy say” any transaction was made after 3 pm it will be processed the following business day”. I try to resolve with them but they want to rip me off. Additionally the withdraw that happened after I closed the account was not authorized by me and I have a proof that I already paid that company 9 days before.( 6 months worth of payment). It is frustrating to find yourself stuck with professional thieves. Why they did not reject the transaction it was a closed “no money” account it should automatically be rejected. The teller is the one who told me I have such and such in my account before I closed it I did not tell her to give me that amount she checked the balance and told me that is how much i had.

• Je
    jerry myers Aug 04, 2008

hi had a check for my 4 wheeler turned out they had no funds 5/3 took 10.00 out of my checking bank just took over our bank that i have been with 10 years .so now me & wife are changing to WA--- YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME.

• Be
    Ben Aug 30, 2008

This is by far the worst institution I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. My leasing company used them for their rate. I have been sent 2 late notices which happen to be my first 2 payments. They first told me they sent me a statement for my first payment. i paid the balance. The second time they informed me that they don't send bills but send out a coupon book. I never knew this so again I was late subject to their late fee. I asked them REPEATEDLY to send me a coupon book. I still haven't gotten my coupon book. This place is full I mean FULL of incompetent people who don't know the rules and are untrained in customer service. They have made me wait to tell me that it is not their fault that we are late for the payment. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you avoid this place. AVOID IT you will be SORRY. They won't help and they don't really care. If the coupon book is not here soon I'm thinking about switching leasing companies and seeking legal action of some kind against them. That's how pissed I am.

Christine Pszonka Sep 15, 2008

If you think banking with 5/3 is an abomination, try the trust department.

• La
    Laura Dec 03, 2008

I hate 5/3 they are a bunch of theives. We send our many to bank in hoping to keep it away from the theives and guess what the ironic part is 5/3 is the the thief !! I hope theyare the next Bank to FAIL!Hell With You !

• To
    Todd Jan 22, 2009

5/3rd Got me too. I had a $12 overdraft on without notice on Friday, Following Tuesday I deposited $50. Still not knowing I had an overdreaft. 3 weeks later I was out of town and went to cash a check. I was told I owed $103.00 in overdraft fees. I paid it in order to cash my check. and told them to close my account. They said I could only close it at my branch. I went to the branch office when I came back in town to find out. What was going on. Was told they would reimburse me $35. I said ok then close my account. I was told if I close my account they would not reimburse me anything. I said fine. CLOSE IT!!
    A month later I'm getting numerous calls from a credit company that I owe 5/3rd $60. 5/3rd are Legalized Crooks. I hate this Bank.. Never Bank with them again...

Magilla67 Jan 30, 2009

I live in NW Indiana. I have my mortgage with Fifth Third. Last year they estimated a $1200 shortage in my escrow account. My monthly payment went up $100. My taxes were lowered for 2008 by $1100. After they paid everything, there was an excess of $1283 left over. My payment is still the same & they claim it can't be reviewed until June. UNLESS I pay a $25 fee. I think that is just palin CRIMINAl. If they're doing that to a few thousand other people, that's a few million they get to keep for themselves interest free.

• Dr
    dr53 Mar 19, 2009

So glad I found this forum. I thought I was the only one who noticed these practices by Fifth Third. I was telling my husband about it just yesterday, I just know they are doing everything they can to steal money from us and I told him that, to his disbelief. Well a day later and he believes me now! My balance was $300 yesterday, I desposited $1100 and sure enough they somehow held charges, then released them to overdraw my account and suck up over $400 in one day of overdraft fees. Thank God I'm not just paranoid, there are others this is happening to!!! And your right I'm sure they've got their HORRIBLE little CS people on here defending them, By far WORST CS I've ever encountered and I've worked as a liason with all the major Electronics Manufacturers, GE, TOSHIBA, CANON etc.. Fifth Third is no where near CS friendly but the worst in the industry!!! I hope they get brought to court SOON!

• Da
    davewave Mar 24, 2009

Worst. Bank. Ever.

No transactions on the account for months because I intended to close the account but they wouldn't do it the last time I was there because they had to wait until the next day to settle the account (I live 35 minutes away and don't make it down there very often). In the intervening time some random annual fee from another company that had my card on file overdrafted me by $28. They just send plain white envelopes to warn about the overdraft. By the time I get to my bills (2 weeks later) -$28 became -$176 - Seems pretty exorbitant to me.

• Pa
    Pat Mar 31, 2009

You work hard for your money. You place it in an institution you believe to be respectable. Sadly, greed and disrespect are what you will find if you use Fifth Turd bank. I left their bank in 2000 because of an overdraft issue. They charged me $33.00 for the overdraft and then hit me with a per day fee. I can understand the thirty three fee. I goofed. But I took issue with the per day fee. They NEVER contacted me to tell me they were leveraging a per day fee against me. If I had known I was overdrawn I would have taken money from my other account to fix the problem immediately. I should not have to check my account every day to make sure my bank is doing their job. Needless to say, I had to go to the state banking commission to get the issue resolved in my favor.

My wife left their bank in 2008, they refused to give her $150 in cash from the Social Security check she had just deposited. She had been going to that same branch for more than five years. And had done the very same thing many times before. Deposit her check, grocery shop and go home. Now they were making her wait for the government check to clear.

Today, they are loosing my mothers business too. We got a virus on the computer and had to reformat the drive. Needless to say we lost all our saved passwords in the browser. I sat down to pay her bills on the bank website. The username and password would not work. I tried to follow the recover password link thinking I could get it e-mailed to me. No, just a page full of nonsense. So, I called them.
    I explained the situation to the operator. She asked to speak to my mother. I put her on the phone. The operator asked my mother for her SSN or account number. I handed my mother her SSN card and said " Here is your social security number". The operator heard me say this to my mother and said I was coaching her, she could not give me the password now. I would have to take my mother into a bank branch to physically verify the information. Now I have to stay up late (I work nights) to take my 83 year old mother to the bank to get this mess straightened out.
    Their rules seem to be more important to them than their customers. I am surprised that they can stay in business. How can you be so rude and disrespectful to your customers and remain in business? Every person at that bank seems to have a chip on their shoulder.

• Kr
    krissy2010 Apr 08, 2009

I agree Whole heartedly! I am furious with 5/3. Just a few days ago a transaction was ran through on my account. The company that ran it did not have my card in hand and did not have my permission to run the card. My account at the time had a balance of around $3.00. I put my paycheck into the bank and I used my card because they credit $100 of your deposited checks immediately. I my debit card twice for purchases that totaled an amount a little over $8.00 and went about my day thinking nothing of it. I didn't use my card for a few days but went to the bank to deposit more cash. Upon doing so I discovered my account was overdrawn. I flipped out! I was shown that the bogus Transaction i spoke of earlier was on my account. I explained I didn't authorize this transaction. They said I could do a dispute but it could take up to 30 days to get the money back. So I put money in the bank and was down to where I only owed like $21 to have the account caught up. Well, the next day I look at my account and they had popped me for $33 dollars each for the two trans actions and another $66 because 2 transactions that I had put money in to cover kicked it over even more. They had taken out the debits before crediting the deposits even though it was all done on the same night. So now I sit in the hole around $150 at the moment, with it going up daily. Well, I emailed the cust. service and they "IN A GOODWILL GESTURE" as they put it credited me $33 for my inconveinence. Which is humorous because, they just dropped another $42 in daily overdraft fees. So, I replied to their email that I appreciated their gesture but with their policies being set up the way they are the average person would be unable to repair their account. I also added it is sad that we as tax payers are being told, not asked! that we must bail out the banking industry and the banking industry cannot show the same good will to the same citizens who are keeping many of the banks open. You see, the bank policies are a load of poop, to put it bluntly. I was told by the girl that opend my accounts with the bank recently because I was thrown into overdraft not too long ago because of the fact that 5/3 and several other banks process debits before they add your deposits that she could fix my account and if it ever happened again to just call her and she would take care of it. Funny thing is when I called this time it was, I'm sorry. and that was all they did for me. I'm going soon as I get my next pay check and going to a different bank. This time I will watch my account like a hawk. I am half tempted to just cash my checks and use a prepaid visa or master card.

sandy May 26, 2009

I made a deposit at Fifth Third bank and it was never added to my account, i have the receipt for the deposit but Fifth Third said they have no record of it so I am out $ 120.00. The deposit was made in cash. I called the main office and told them the situation and i was told it is up to the individual branch how they wanted to handle it, the branch manager said they would not make the deposit good, she did tell me that on the day that i made my deposit the tellers computer jumped off-line. She said, that the reference number did not coincide with the date of the deposit, and that is my fault, how? So everyone needs to keep their deposit slips and check behind them on everything.. I DO NOT recommend Firth Third Bank..

• Po
    Poetman Jul 07, 2009

I have to add my complaint to the list.

I initially thought 5/3 would be a good option over my former Flagstar. The staff seemed nice, the lobby usually empty and they seemed to have a decent program. I opened a checking account. That was the start of the nightmare. I kept getting not only fees upon fees for balances that dipped below 0 every month, but then there were fees per item. Eventually it got to the point where I was losing half my checks to fees. I closed my checking account, and opened a savings account-under the impression that it would be FREE (as in no fees) for a year. WRONG! There were fees, not only the NSF/return ones, but also daily fees for being below the minimum. The thing that lead me to close out and take my name to their dissatisfied customer list was when they hit more NSF fees *after* I had money in the bank to cover the check! So they charged me fees when I actually had money IN the account. At that point, I said enough!

Stay away from 5/3!!

• Th
    thejman Aug 19, 2009

these people are common day crooks, i will be switching banks very soon i used to have first charter until these idiots bought them out. and i have had nothing but trouble out of them. i know for a fact they constantly try to work the transactions around to try and screw you. and they say that transactions never post on a saturday night which is a flat out lie!! i have seen pre charges go threw and post on a sunday after a manager screamed at me on the phone saying they dont. long story short on how they screwed me this week..

i had $219 in the bank wednesday, i had 7-9 transactions in the pre stage that i know takes no more than 2 days to post to the account. then on friday i had a $300 eletronic charge that i could not stop from coming threw. and i was fine with that cause i knew i had money to cover all the small charges so i would only get overdrawn with the big charge, i was fine with that, but they held all the small charges until monday night and put it along with the 300 charge and took that out first..so i was overdrawn around $600 thanks to the nice people at 5/3..i know for a fact is doen not take 4 days for a fast food charge to post. and i also know that things do go threw and post on a saturday night that they said does not happen?? idiots i have online banking i have seen it. stay away from these idiots, i pray the day these big banks go belly up. keep your money in a jar at home people, your much better off.

• Go
    GOP 101 Aug 20, 2009

I have been with these crooks since 1985. You would think they would cut some slack but no. This is a terrible, and just outside of being criminal! I over drafted May o9 by .50 cents, of course over draft protection does not kick in unless it is over $50.00. Not being notified in time this snowballed into over $600.00 in fees. I called, pleaded for a reversal with no service. It was explained to me that my protection did not kick in since I was below my available cash on my credit card.

If they had just covered the lousy fifty cents, things would have been fine. They are trixters and cannot understand why anyone would stay with them. They now charge 39.00 per over draft, the highest in the business. Tell me this is not a money maker!

They also took 13.5 BILLION in bailout money and are not on the list to pay it back. I do not think I want to bank with our corrupt government or these slithery snakes! Send all the Obama voters to Fifthe Third Bank!

Fifth Third's internal policy is the worst I have ever seen. They refer to me as a deadbeat but on the books I am great! This is where they make there money, they will say no but it is true!!!

I will be leaving this horrible company

• Gu
    Guillaume Aug 21, 2009

Fifth third bank's ripoff overdraft fees are not $30 and for a second occasion more. The overdraft fee causes you to overdraft more, so another fee. And so on. Fortunately 5/3 now has a payday loan feature..yes, they do! They only charge 120% APR, yes you read that right, 120%. This bank is predatory.

• Do
    Dontel Aug 21, 2009

You're all acting like children, bickering back and forth. Have you ever thought that maybe there are 5/3s all over the country and different people work in each one? And that those different people choose whether or not to give you favor? I don't bank with 5/3 personally, but I read this review and all of your comments and you're all being childish. Using "he said, she said" ### and fighting. Grow up and find a different bank if you want. And those of you who like 5/3, stay with them. Nobody really cares. This site sucks. It's only here so everyone can ### about their problems instead of taking responsibility and SOLVING them. ### you all.

• St
    starkit000 Sep 23, 2009

5/3 is E-V-I-L. just on 9/17s i was around $29.29, i made 2 purchases one for $5.61 the other for 11.32. Then i wrote a check..knowing it would overdraft..and that was fine. I was expecting that ONE fee. tell me why they posted all 3 at the same time and now im in the negative $254.00??? that makes no sense to me, if i have the money in there to cover the smaller charges why wait to post those? They posted the check first which of course overdrafted me $37.00 then they posted the $5.61 which overdrafted me again for $37.00, then the $11.32 for YET ANOTHER $37.00, so on 9/21 i was in the negative $139.00 now when i checked my account today 9/23 im up to $254.00 in the negative.

I called for an explanation and they said that they ALWAYS take the largest debit first...regardless when you made the transaction. then i asked when you make a purchase using debit aren't the funds taken out immediately? Chris at the 800 972 3030 told me yes, then the woman who i spoke with at the branch said no, that it all depends when the store batches out their day. To which i responded, if they batch out the SAME day should the funds be debited she says yes. I asked then why wasn't it done. She had no answer. so now im stuck with a -$254.00 balance and it increases everyday by $8.00 (to which they can only charge that $8.00 for 20 days. Which equals 160.00) How in the world are we as customers to pay these outrageous fees when the average person gets paid 2x a month?

I cancelled my direct deposit and will be receiving a paper check so that they don't take my entire paycheck. The only option she gave me was to start making deposits asap (if i gt paid 2x a month how is that possible with $8.00 adding everyday???) They were no help at all. 5/3 is a CRIMINAL and should be prosecuted. I will be switching banks and so will my fiancee.

And another thing, i read a complaint on here saying that there are 5/3 banks everywhere and there are different prople working there and they can't be the same everywhere...well OBVIOUSLY YOU IDIOT, BUT THEY ARE ALL RUN BY ONE 5/3RD HEADQUARTERS THAT MAKE ALL THE FEES AND IDIOTIC POLICIES TO WHICH ALL THE BRANCHES HAVE TO ABIDE BY, NO MATTER WHERE IN THE U.S THEY ARE.

AND TO ALL OF YOU 5/3 EMPLOYEES THAT MONITOR THIS SITE AND PRETEND TO BE CONSUMERS I HOPE YOU ALL ROT IN HELL AND ALL OF THE 5/3RD'S ARE STRUCK BY LIGHTENING AND BURN TO THE GROUND, THEN WHEN YOU LOSE YOUR LIVELIHOOD AND YOUR MONEY IN THE BANK YOU CAN FEEL THE WAY YOUR CONSUMERS DO WHEN YOU TAKE THEIR MONEY FOR FEES THAT AREN'T OUR FAULT. YOU SHOULD START BEING LIKE BANK OF AMERICA AS OF 10/19/09 THEY WILL STOP OVERDRAFT FEES FOR AMOUNTS LESS THAN $10.00.

• De
    Derrick B Oct 05, 2009

I had a smartbuy loan with 5.3 that began in 2004 and ended sept of this year. In march I purchased a new vehicle and the dealer payed the reamaining 4 payments on the truck. In august I received a late notice stating that the august payment had not been made. I contacted the bank on 8-31-09 and they said that they would look into it. There answer was that I owed a balloon payment of over $12, 000.00. I told them that they were in error and asked them to look into it. On 9-17-09 a day after a payment would have been due they called and said that the payment was again late. I told them that I had spoke to them on 8-31-09 and was told they would investigate and their answer was that I owed the 12000.00 dollars still. After much agrivation I was told that there were actually 5 payments left and that the dealer had only paid 4. After speaking with the dealer they made the payment and I considered the matter closed. On 9-24-09 I was contacted by regional adjustment bureau a collection agency for 5.3. They stated that i owed the balloon payment. I attempted to explain that I had been in contact with 5.3 and that this was an error. After calling almost everyday for the last month and being greeted by as many different answers as I made phone calls, today 5.3 greeeted my dealership by sending a repo company to the dealer to pickup the vehicle. After contacting 5.3 regarding this I was given the answer that they were indeed rightful to repo the vehicle to this was an error and the vehicle was just being picked up in accordance with my contract. After speaking with the repo co they stated that even they do not know what was going on because shortly after they picked up the vehicle they were told to return it to the dealer. So here we go again. After calling and speaking to the REPO dept at 5.3 they stated that they were still picking up the vehicle through the repo company but that none of this would affect my credit, and that they considered the business matter closed. But all this begs the question if they couldnt get a simple "lease" surrended right Do I honestly believe the matter to be closed. Plus i have no documentation regarding them picking up the vehicle or what "damages" were incurred during the life of the lease. In short I urge anyone to contact their state attorney general regarding 5.3 "business" techniques which boil down to strong arm techniques in order to squeeze money from a frustrated consumer who finally just gives up in order to have the whole ordeal closed. And I am sure that this matter is NOT closed and expect probably a call from attorneys or people threatenting me in the name of 5.3 bank.

• Nk
    NKY John Oct 21, 2009

Fifth Third Bank plays games that will cost you lots of money.

The problem is that they occasionally will not make available the funds that you have deposited. We had an ending balance of 77 dollars but they charged us 231 dollars in overdraft fees for 7 small items because they deemed 125 dollars of our 225 dollar deposit (from the day before) unavailable. At other times they have made the whole deposit available even if depositing a check. There is no way to know when they will hold back your funds.

For you people saying that the people complaining on this site don't know how to manage a checking account, you need to look at the facts. THE MONEY WAS DEPOSITED FIRST!! It is just that Fifth Third arbitrarily decides to make funds UNAVAILABLE.

Another thing that Fifth Third is really good at is they always make sure to run the largest charges first (even if the smaller ones came in first) which causes the most overdraft fees possible. They will even have the nerve to tell you this is for your benefit because of course you don't want your mortgage payment to bounce. All I ask is to apply charges in the order received. That is the only fair way to charge these overdrafts. If Fifth Third ever changed their policy to do that they would lose millions of dollars per year (that they are currently stealing from people). Their policy is to kick you when you are down and severely punish (take advantage of) you for a very small mistake. One time about 3 years agao I was overdrawn by 1.35 and ended up paying $198 in overdraft fees. Yes I forgot about the $1.35 that I spent (that was my fault) but what resulted was that the $33.00 charge (that was the overdraft charge fee back then) for the one item caused a series of overdrafts on the following day on 5 other small items. A deposit had been made before the other small items were charged but did not cover the unknown (at that time) overdraft charge.

Why do they do these things? They do thembecause they can get away with it. It is unethical and immoral but not illegal. They know that no one will sue them over it and most people will not actually switch banks. What JERKS!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices