Festiva Resortsowners, be wary!

This is a follow-up to my complaint of last week, indicating that I was a Thoroughly Disgusted Owner. I am somewhat calmer this week after having received a call from their office, so I'll change my byline from Thoroughly Disgusted to Permanently Wary. Not surprisingly, they were able to accommodate me on the dates I wanted after I submitted my complaint. Whether this was done to appease me or not, the fact remains that now, suddenly, they were able to "find" a unit for me. Of course, I was told this was an exception and not the norm (and I should be grateful). I still stand by my previous statement that Festiva is in the business of generating as much revenue as possible, even at the risk of driving their long-time owners to the point of frustration that I reached last week. Our satisfaction is simply not their priority. Our annual maintenance fees are a pittance compared to the weekly revenue they can generate from renting their units during peak seasons (and peak seasons range from summer at the beach properties, to winter at the mountain/ski properties, to year-round golf at the Myrtle Beach properties). And WE, the owners, pay the price of the condition in which those units are left by renters each year in ever-increasing maintenance fees and "special assessments".

Some of our best and most memorable family vacations over the last 20 years have been at Peppertree properties. We purchased at Atlantic Beach when our children were small because of the variety of activites on-site, and the fact that the property was secured with full-time security guards. There was even a General Store on-site. You could spend a week on the property without having to outside the gate for anything. Since Festiva took over the store is gone, I rarely see a security guard posted at the front entrance, the back gate leading to the beach no longer has a coded security entrance and anyone off the street can enter the property. The Banner Elk property has somehow managed to stay above the fray and retain their original attractions. The Myrtle Beach properties have gone to pot (with the exception of Sand Pebble). They are poorly maintained and sorely in need of renovations. Some of the elevators smell of urine. They are an embarrassment to owners. I used to rave about Peppertree properties to all of our friends. Now I rarely mention that we own a timeshare with Festiva, and if I do, it's because the conversation has led to timeshare dissatisfaction in general. The pride went down the drain with my satisfaction.

I am still looking into other options with Hilton Vacation Club and Holiday Inn Club Vacations IF I can manage to sell my Festiva membership. Perhaps I'll become one of those Festiva renters in the future, and I'll probably stand a greater chance than the unfortunate owners of getting the dates and units I want. It's a pity, Festiva (I know you're reading this). You're letting loyal, long-time owners slip through your greedy hands.

• Da
    David C V Jul 25, 2012

I have a time share in St Augustine at Ocean Gate and paid my dues then called to get my reservation and they told me they didn't have any units available for the whole year. I wish I could prosecute them and actually I plan on looking into how I can most damage them. They are a completely unethical firm. I went on their web site and saw the unit I have was available for rent for $3, 500 for a week. Do not buy anything from them