Shell Vacations Club Logo

Shell Vacations Club

Having problems with Shell Vacations Club?

+1 877 743 5510 (Owner Services)
+1 305 925 3034 (International)
+1 877 782 5702 (Loyalty Program Members)
+1 877 743 5511 (Discovery Members)
+1 855 713 8170 (Shell Vacations Club Collections)
+1 602 305 5500 (The Legacy Golf Resort)
+1 480 948 6100 (Orange Tree Golf Resort)
+1 520 670 0500 (Starr Pass Golf Suites)
+1 415 441 7100 (The Donatello)
+1 714 783 0990 (Garden Walk Sales Center)
+1 415 863 8400 (Inn At The Opera)
+1 714 535 8255 (Peacock Suites)
+1 415 771 0200 (The Suites at Fisherman's Wharf)
+1 707 251 1900 (Vino Bello Resort)
+1 808 826 6219 (The Cliffs Club)
+1 808 324 1550 (Holua Resort At Mauna Loa Village)
+1 808 822 3441 (Kauai Coast Resort)
+1 808 324 1721 (Kona Coast Resort)
+1 808 742 9581 (Lawai Beach Resort)
+1 808 883 0600 (Paniolo Greens)
+1 808 955 7644 (Waikiki Marina Resort)
+1 808 322 8290 (Shell Vacations Hospitality)
+1 603 588 2000 (Crotched Mountain Resort)
+1 702 739 7000 (Desert Rose Resort)
+1 828 743 7667 (Foxhunt at Sapphire Valley)
+1 877 754 6846 (Whispering Woods Resort)
+1 920 868 9950 (Little Sweden)
+1 705 835 5858 (Carriage Hills Resort, Canada)
+1 705 835 5919 (Carriage Ridge Resort, Canada)
+1 604 932 4511 (Mountainside Lodge, Canada)
+52 322 226 2700 (Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort, Mexico)
+52 322 226 2757 (Sunset Plaza Beach Resort and Spa, Mexico)
6277 Sea Harbor Drive, Orlando

Mountainside Lodge
4417 Sundial Place, Whistler, B.C. Canada V0N 1B4

Mexico

Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort
Jose Clemente Orozco № 131, Hotel Zone, Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, México

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort and Spa
Diego Rivera 120, Zona Hotelera Las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco 48330 Mexico

Complaints & Reviews

maintenance fees

In the maintenance fee budget there is a line entitled uncollectables, or defaulted accounts, or bad debt. Should all the members be responsible to pick up the slack for other's maintenance fees? I assume the time share company resells the property after a time and uses the proceeds to cover the maintenance fee debt, so why is it passed on to the owners?

timeshare circus

Shell Vacations West Wyndham, They sold us on a 1-week vacation every year, however after our first vacation, we found out that with the points we had we could not take a week unless we banked our points from the year before and borrow from next year.
It's so frustrating to call to make reservations. You are on the phone for 1 to 2 hours at least to find out you are not able to go where you want or when you need to. We always had to rearrange our dates.
They told us when we purchased that it was only owners however we found out by talking to other guests that were certainly not true.
We were also led to believe that all the svc properties were the same quality as our Napa Valley property, however, we went to one that was a complete dump.
And the cherry on top is the constant calls from salespeople to get us to upgrade yet again.

time at our resort not available most times

I believe we have been ripped off by Shell Vacations, I have been looking at customer complaints today and...

Not getting our membership

We have owned at our two-bedroom resort in Hawaii for years and have enjoyed spending a week there every...

Maintenance Fees

Shell Vacations Club is a rip off. They charge more for their maintenance fees in a year than what I pay for property taxes on my house! Most of the time the dates I want tobook arenot available. Their website needs to be updated. They were bought out by Wyndham and they still have not updated their website and still want to charge additional fees to stay at a place that is technically considered part of "Shell". For the amount of fees they charge you, you are only allotted two free calls a year, which is absolutely ridiculous! They have taken on too many clients and do not have enough properties available!

• Ke
    Keith Fullerton Dec 21, 2014

We have been part of Shell vacations for almost 12 years. Their maintenance fees were more than fair until Wynham Resorts bought them. Since being bought out, the first year our fees went from $2, 800 to $4, 865. in 2003, then to $5, 389 in 2014, and this year they have increased another $450.This is an increase in maintenance fees of $3, 039 in a three year span (more than doubling our fees). I find these increases massive and totally out of control. I have contacted a lawyer to address these issues and want to pursue Class Action Litigation. If there is anyone else that has had the same results happen to them or would like to be part of this suit please contact me.

• Aa
    aammyy Dec 31, 2015

I find that the maintenance fees have gotten totally out of line, Each year going up and taking advantage of us.
    Would love to get out of the timeshare, Wonder what would happen if one just discontinued to pay the fees?
    Shell Vacation pressures a person to buy as when you say no, they just continue to bring more and more pressure people to pressure you till you get fed up and sign. Never easing up so one can think about what the future with them would be. It is and has been all downhill.
    Maintenance fees higher then a real vacation now.

Cheyenne from Shell Vacation

Vacationing folks be warned of Cheyenne Redfern from Shell Vacations. During out 90 minute presentation she...

Bait and switch

In 2007 we retired from many, many years teaching years in the Public Schools and went on our dream vacation to Hawaii. Something we had been dreaming about since we were married, but we just never could afford to take a honeymoon. We had saved some and already owned a place at another RCI (Resorts Condominium International) time share vacation. That's how we managed to get to Hawaii. We are not greedy folks, not really interested in obtaining more, just to get a little of the good life in a fancy hotel on the beach".

We said as much to that young Hawaiian sales girl?. However, when she told her managing salesperson about our RCI Weeks his ears picked up like a hound dog". He come up with a plan where we could "change our RCI Weeks into Shell Points" and one telephone call would have "Shells' excellent service representatives" manage them for us?. Well enough about that said now, while there we purchased a week time share at the Beachboy Resort in Kauai, Hawaii". That Shell boy was really spinning RCI straw into proverbial Shell gold for our golden years of retirement!.

As dedicated teachers would, we did our math homework;. Me and my wife were sure that it would be just perfect to deposit our RCI Weeks into Shell Resorts Clubs, who would change all them into their just great Shell Points for promised extra vacations, prepaid airline fees, free rental cars, luxury hotels, Caribbean cruises, and a host of other valuable benefits/. We could now finally enjoy in our retirement ahead of us.

We paid a rightly sum $12, 001.50 for this membership in full on our credit card at the time of signing the contracts and that man, his girls, and a lot of papers assured it would be just a simple phone call to get a service rep and all these Shell privileges would become golden. All that glitters is not gold, that is, once it's sold!

Trying to convert any of our RCI Weeks to Shell Points met with just big bad trouble. Just weeks after we joined we received a letter from Shell saying they're reducing the weeks that Shell would allow for conversion. Not that I'm paranoid, but what a cat *** coincidence! The ink was just about barely dry on those papers we signed! Do ya think?

This greatly tore down the reason for our membership. When contacting them by telephone we were told that we had too few points and could only qualify for a vacation once every 4 years! Thus severely limiting the "golden" sales pitch of their fast talking manager in Hawaii, and despite over $600 additional cost a year for maintenance in a place we have never even been to again! In total dollars sum, we've paid Shell Vacations Club over $14, 000 and have not been back to Hawaii once since signing the agreement! Some "golden" years with Shell. We cried. No flights, cars, cruises. Nothing but bills, bills, and more bill bringing our small life savings to tatters.

After 4 years of paying maintenance on a place I've never been, this week we received yet another letter, a deadly blow to our Shell membership. Couldn't you have guessed ---Shell Vacations Club will no longer be affiliated with RCI! They now have switched to a RCI competitor IE (Interval International). Needless to say we are not IE members, don't want no more bills to join them too. So finally we cannot covert any RCI weeks to Shell Points at all, not now, not never! As grandaddy said " ya can't polish a turd", nor a golden Shell membership I might add,
My friends, this is what I'm calling Shells' Bait and Switch "Shell Game"! Bait the hard working retirees who struggled all their lives paying into society and saving for their retirement with a little free food, then into an fast talking agreement where they pay to trade hard earned money for weeks of "golden" promises for their golden years, vacation condos, flights, cars etc., then after you got them paying into your system for years, switch the terms of the agreement, then deliver them only straw.

And yes, this straw costs you $600+ a year for nothing. And if ya don't pay it they'll go after you for it, wreck your credit rating. And God forbid Ma gets sick, who knows? RCI Membership trading for Shell Points was the only reason that I bought into this Shell Game in the first place. In exchange for our money and promises of a "golden" retirement, we got broken promises and billsThe fast talking sales people, the rich folks who own the resorts and their slick lawyers have done real well for themselves, at our expense. If you want to find them you'll probably find them lounging at the resort we're paying for in Hawaii. This is because we can no longer afford to get back.

We played by the rules as they told us to, paid up in full. Then they changed the rules and the game. Our time share is worthless to us and they've got all that hard earned money.

<But in their "Disclosure Statement" termed Exhibit C, page 9, bullet number 20, that we agreed to before signing our contract it only mentions RCI as their "External Exchange Company". Further it says that Shell is not "responsible for promises made by RCI sales people". But Shell IS responsible for what its' sales people say and what they write down in their contracts. That's what I read in this here contract. Says nothing about Interval International at all. Never even heard nothing about them.

I would like Shell Vacations Club to give me back all of my hard earned money, over $14, 000 hard earned US Dollars, that I was bamboozed out by their "Shell" Game. I want it back in my bank account so that we can afford to take some vacations in our golden years. I'd like to afford a plane ride, cruise ship, fancy hotel and a golden sunset before my golden years are done. I can't afford the "privileges" they offer anymore, because they've gone and changed all the things they said we could do, and left me with nothing but the bill.

bait and switch

Purchased a 159$ "opportunity" to visit up to 4 locations to hear their time share presentation.
After deciding where we would like to travel were told we must submit 4 nights x3 at least 2 weeks apart - a fact that was not seen in literature or heard in phone presentation. There of course is an "upgrade" available for 30$/night, in addition to the 12 to 14$ tax and resort fee of 15$ per night Talk about a money waste!!!
Has anyone looked into the fraud of this company - we would worry about any contact at all and/or getting hung out to dry if we did make arrangements - My thinking is they are making their money on the 159$ that we and many others are donating after the frustration of trying to schedule a resort visit.

Shell Vacations Club Jul 08, 2011

Hello Su and Jo,
    Please rest assured that these are legitimate vacation vouchers sold by SVC. If there are any additional fees, we would need to speak with you directly in order to look at the available resorts, dates, unit types and voucher type to determine what, if any, fees might apply. We can, without a doubt, promise you that these are legitimate offers and are in no way an attempt to hang you out to dry. We at SVC truly do value our customers and would not treat you in such a way. If you would not mind contacting our Customer Care Department with further details of your situation, we would be happy to work with you and our reservations department in order to straighten out the reservation and any confusion over the terms and conditions. You can email us at [email protected] or call us at 888-947-4355 and we would be happy to assist.

Thank you very much for your time and we hope you have a wonderful day.
    SVC Customer Care

The excuses continue..

You want to come out smelling like the rose when your stuff stinks! Please do not make this our fault it will only add to my hopes that the AG will spend lots of time in your books. It is hard to use the correct account number when your statement has the incorrect number on it for three different statements. Am I suppose to close my eyes and randomly pick a number and hope that is the right account. I have been using the same account number since 1998!!! All of a sudden that is not the right account!! Your manager in Hawaii even admitted to us that she put the wrong account number on the statement and we double checked with her to make sure where we were to send the payments and to what account. Please do not act like you are the innocent party in this and that we can't figure out how to pay our bills. The only intelligence you are insulting is your own. We even went on the online payment area and put in all the account numbers that were given to us by Shell Vacation and guess what...all but one came back invalid (which we took screen shots of and will be sharing in our AG complaint) and that account number is the one that we have been using since 1998!! So please spare me the drama of how you properly instructed us on how to manage the account because you know that never happened. Every time we attempt to talk to Shell Vacation we can hardly get past a customer rep and then they get defensive when you try to discuss anything with them. They act like you are asking them to take the money out of their own pocket. And BTW, just to keep the story straight the problem did not come from checks that we personally wrote because on this account we paid our bill online and have for several years. You might want to check your facts before making inaccurate statements. We are now done giving you any information we must move forward to those who are interested in helping resolve issues.

Misrepresentation

If you are here, you probably already knew all the bad things about Shell Vacations Club. They lied to you...

Close this business!

If you wish to shut down their business . . all of your complaints should be forwarded on to events at which Shell or one of its contracted marketing groups does their marketing (invites people down for "free" gifts) so that maybe they won't allow their booths to be set up their anymore. These venues include LA county fair, Orange county fair, *** Prides (Long Beach, LA), Bridal Shows (Bride world, Bridal Showplace, Here come The Brides), Hermoa Beach Labor Day and Memorial Day street festival, movie theaters (AMC, Edwards) and many others. I can list others if any of you are interested. Also, the complaints should be forwarded on to the CA Attorney Generals office. Attorney Generals in other states have filed suit against other timeshare companies like this who market in this manner . . by offering things like "free trips", "free airfare" etc. to attend one of their presentations when the "travel vouchers" are basically unredeemable. They have based the suits on fraudulent marketing and if enough people complain to the CA Attorney Generals office they may follow suit and essentially cut off all venues this company has to get people to attend their previews in the first place. Basically, if you want to do more than just post a blog, this is what you can do to essentially shut down their business totally.

Ripped Off

We bought an Explorer membership with Shell after being hassled and pressured by numerous sales people while in Hawaii on our honeymoon. Although this isn’t the reason for my complaint, I will point out that the sales people were extremely rude when we didn’t want to buy the timeshare property, criticizing us and telling us that our relationship would suffer without vacations, which consisted of buying a Shell timeshare. Extremely rude. Well, I got over that, and finally booked my first vacation with the points I purchased through the Explorer program. We went to San Diego and booked the Days Hotel through Shell, which was an affiliated property through Resortime. The hotel looked decent on the web pages, and the Shell associate I spoke to while booking the hotel indicated it was a nice property. Well, we arrived at this hotel and it was a total dump. Our so called “deluxe room with kitchenette” was a tiny motel room (that’s right, not a hotel, but a motel) with half of a bathroom because the other half was a half size ghetto kitchen. It was the equivalent, or probably worse, than a Super 8 Motel. We arrived at this motel and it was an instant damper on our entire trip knowing that we would have to come back to this crap hole every night. We tried to find ways to avoid going back to the hotel at all costs, but had to at some point. And, why am I upset with Shell? Because Shell had me pay $283 per night on this room. That’s right, a whopping $283 for a Super 8 (essentially). I could have stayed in a 5 star hotel in downtown San Diego near everything instead of this nasty motel on Hotel Circle. And we looked up the real value of the motel, which is $70 a night. It’s really disturbing to me that they could rip people off so badly and ruin a family’s vacation in doing so. It’s just unbelievable. I am beyond upset about this situation and so mad that my vacation had to suffer on their account. They were so insistent on us buying their crap and ensuring us it was worth the money….they are just flat out liars and out to ruin people’s lives and take their money. Not only would I never buy anything from Shell again, but I will certainly discourage anyone and everyone from even considering to do so as well.

• Pa
    Paula Guldner Aug 19, 2010

We have owned our Shell Timeshare for at least 10 years and have hardly used it ... do the wait time unless you want to go to a crappy place as said in your post!! The maintenance fees have no cap which turn out to be very high and have looked into getting rid of it but can't seem to do that either unless you want to give it away which we just might??

Shell Vacations Club Aug 24, 2010

We completely understand your frustration. Without getting into too much detail, it is fairly difficult to calculate the value of points with respect to the rack rate of our partner hotels. We understand it appears easy on the surface when comparing it to the purchase price of your Explorer program, but it is important to note that these rates are negotiated with respect to the Shell Vacations Club memberships also, which are lifetime vacation ownerships, so any attempts at determining a calculation with regard to a trial membership are destined to be skewed.

With that said, we completely understand your frustration, which is why we strongly encourage our Explorer members to try out the Club at Shell Vacations owned and operated properties, thereby giving them a great value at a great resort. Given that you had a negative experience at our affiliate property, we now understand that you have been compensated one full night's stay from your bill. We hope this helps and gives you an opportunity to make a reservation at one of our properties to truly experience what Shell Vacations Club has to offer. Again, our sincerest apologies that this past stay was not to your liking and we look forward to assisting you with a more positive and rewarding vacation stay with the remainder of your membership.

Paula - If you would not mind, can you please contact us here in Customer Care? We would love the opportunity to help you reserve the kind of vacation you wanted when you purchased with us after trying out our Explorer package. You can call us at 888-947-4355 or email us at [email protected] Thank you in advance for giving us the opportunity to assist.

Misrepresentation of product

These people sold us a lie that we could get hotel rooms for $33 per night anywhere in the world. Offered to...

Don't be ignorant

Back in 2004, at the Legacy in AZ, I bought a trial membership for $4500, to be used within 2 years. After reading the fine print, I did see that I could cancel the contract within 7 days. I decided to keep it and I booked 1 week in Hawaii and had only used half the points that I bought. I was offered free gifts to attend another presentation in Hawaii( free rental car for 1 week and free weekend in Hawaii). I used both without any problems. At the presentation, I ended up purchasing enough points for 1 week per year at the Napa Valley location, which cost me half as much than buying in Hawaii, but I trade it for Hawaii every year. I have used it numerous times for numerous locations, and have also shared with family members wishing to "rent points" for a fraction of the full price. There have been minor problems, but that would happen at any place, including Marriott, Starwoods resorts, Hilton, etc. Overall I would say that I am extremely pleased with my purchase. The properties are clean and well maintained. I work for the airlines so I get free air travel and have stayed at many different hotel brands. The maintenance fees have gone up $200 since I purchased 6 years ago. But that was explained to me in the beginning. so no surprise. I paid my account full and in cash, so no outrageous interest charges. My advice is not to buy a timeshare on credit or loan. Make sure you can afford it with disposable income, and book as soon as possible, you can always cancel without penalties 60 days out. Overall I'm a very satisfied and happy customer, Shell Vacations is one of the better timeshares, along with Mariott and Hilton.

Timeshare rip off

I also got sucked in to purchasing a timeshare. I walked in thinking I was going there only for the free gift, but in the back of my mind I really wanted to start traveling. They tried talking me into purchasing a bunch of points, but in reality I knew I could not afford to purchase a timeshare that was worth the vehicle I drove. It was not a necessity. They told me all these things about how great it was and that they were giving me a smoking deal, also they through in a gift card and a couple of free vacations which I never even had a chance to use since I couldn't even afford the time off of work or the airfare at the time. If I would have put the money I spent for my payments into savings I would have been able to go on a nice vacation now, but instead my first vacation was to San Diego where they stuck me in a Days Inn hotel that was similare to a super 8 motel. Very unhappy about the hotel considering I could have paid out of pocket for a much better hotel with my savings before the timeshare existed. I immediately called and complained about the hotel and the woman in customer service placed me on hold and stated there were no upgraded rooms available and that if I left to go to another hotel they would only be able to refund half my points that I used. For 3 nights in San Diego at a ghetto hotel I used 1950 points. Huge rip off. I hear about people who can help you get out of your contract, but someone who asks for money up front I will never trust again. My plan is to just let it go and not pay on it any longer. Yes it will affect my credit, but having good credit is what got me into the financial position I'm in today. Many of us make good money, but we are so consumed with living beyond our means which is why we finance everything. If we all took a stand and didn't make any payments on anything the banks would be screwed. No more high interest. I work hard for my money, and it hurts knowing I throw away a weeks pay to high interest payments. Banks and finance companies will do everything they can to keep you in debt. If you are late on payments, even an hour, they will jack up your interest rate 8-10%. From here on out, CASH ONLY! If you don't have the cash to buy something, you can't afford it and your living beyond your means. The only worth financing is a home and student loans.

Shell Vacations Club Jun 21, 2010

Dear sjverhal,

We are very sorry to hear you are having any issues with your purchase and want to help clear them up for you as soon as possible. We certainly do not want you to have the type of experience you described and are certain that we can and will offer you a travel experience that is far superior. Would you be willing to contact us so we can address the issues related to your reservation? You can email us your specific concerns or contact information at [email protected] and we would love to look into your situation specifically. Thank you for contacting us at your earliest convenience and for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Sincerely,
    Shell Vacations Club
    Customer Care Department

Deceitful sale

My wife and I attended a fair and by a sales person we were told we would get a free trip by just attending a meeting. One week later we did just that .We purchase a time share and when we realize our mistake it was too late. Everyone who we contact would not help us in canceling the contract. We told them we were misled and they don't believe us. We've only had this timeshare 1 month when we started calling them and now it's been 3 months. We have been e-mailing their CEO (Mr Ginsburg ) and their president ( Ms Sherles ) they will not help either. We are stuck with a timeshare that we cannot afford or will not use. We need help in getting this cancel. We have not use the so-called free gifts or the timeshare. The sales people lied to us and we don't want it. If anyone knows any former employees who could share the deceitful training that this company uses to get people to sign on the dotted line, please e-mail us. We are looking into a class action law suit to get our money back. Time shares may be for some people, but it's not for us. We could be reached at [protected]@yahoo.com, Thank you and have a happy holiday as for us the Grinch stole our Holiday season.

Worst Company EVER

I bought into this timeshare plan about in Feb 2009. I was very hesitant to buy into it from the sounds of...

timeshare presentation

A rep of this company booked a presentation for four of us (me and my wife and another couple). As reward, we got discount on a gift. Last Sunday we drove to SF fisherman's wharf Shell vacations, they rescheduled me and my wife because she forgot to bring her ID, and allowed my friends to complete the show. Today we went to the company with all the documents they requested, and they claimed we are not qualified. We told them we had gone through qualification check twice and no question were brought up before. They promised they will fix this mistake tomorrow because the manager is off on Sunday. But I checked my credit card today and just found out they actually already charged me for full gift prices two days ago, even including the money for my friends who had already did the presentation. This is absolutely cheating!!! From all the experiences that I had with Shell, I really feel this company is unfriendly, dishonest, not worth a bit trust. All they care is to dig out more money from you and me. After reading all these complaints, I realized that I am lucky that this thing happened early so we can see their real face. I will never ever think about their so-called "beneficial" programs even though I love traveling around.

• Bi
    BigRockies Sep 30, 2009

Problem solved. The company called back to me and sincerely apologized for what happened to us even though it seems to be an accident coursed by the computer system. They credited back the charge to my card and everything is settled now. Please ignore my previous complain.

Rip Off

I am infuriated with Shell. I purchased points in Phoenix, AZ with my friend in 2002. We both have paid half...

Deceitful Sale Tactics & Unprofessional Staff

While vacationing in Kauai, Hawaii, we stopped by one of the “Activity Centers” to scope out our options for the best deals on some of the outdoor activities we wanted to do. We were told by the “Activity Center” rep that if we were willing to sit through a 90 minute Shell Vacations Club time share presentation, we would be able to receive two for one on our two selected activities. We thought this sounded like a great option for us since we wanted to learn more about time shares anyway while saving ourselves quite a bit of money on two fun activities. With our activities scheduled on separate days (per our “Activity Center” rep’s insistence) from the time share presentation, we happily left the “Activity Center” and were on our merry way. Little did we know the nightmare Shell Vacations Club time presentation/experience awaited us the next day.

Upon arriving at the Kauai Coast Resort for the time share presentation at our scheduled time (we were even early!), we were greeted by the Shell Vacations Club folks and immediately assigned a representative. Our rep promptly sat us down at a table and chatted us up about our past vacations, occupations, income (of course they want to know this immediately!), and our general habits when it comes to vacationing. The rep was nice enough at first but certainly had her eye on the target (i.e. getting us hooked on a time share at whatever cost). After about 20 minutes of chatting individually with our rep, we headed into a group presentation with the other couples who had been suckered into sitting through this in order to get the discounted activities. The text book marketing guy did a 45 minute presentation on Shell Vacations Club and pitched it hard to us through testimonials (some of which we are convinced were made up after reading so many online complaints about this company).

After the group presentation, we were reunited with our rep, who had our lunches waiting for us at the table. The clock is ticking and our 90 minute commitment has almost expired. We politely let our rep know that one of us have a scheduled commitment (the commitment was NOT one of the outdoor activities that we received the promotional discount on in exchange for attending the time share presentation) in forty-five minutes, which was pre-paid. Therefore, our rep needed to wrap up things with us soon since we were about to exceed our 90 minutes. Our rep turned on us like a switch and sharply let us know that we could NOT leave the presentation at the 90 minute mark. Furthermore, we were harshly scolded that we BOTH needed to be available for the next 4-5 hours and referred to the piece of paper we signed. In Shell’s world, this poorly drafted and confusing document committed us to the extra 5 hour period, beyond the 90 minute presentation, which time limitation was also plainly stated in this same document. We were shocked by the rep’s response and the accusatory manner in which she responded. We reiterated to her that as we understood it from the “Activity Center” rep, our only commitment was to sit through the 90 minute presentation, NOT avail ourselves to Shell Vacations Club for an additional 5 hour period. Our rep left us to go get her supervisor when she quickly realized we weren’t happy. When the supervisor arrived at the table, he had the piece of paper we signed off on in hand and proceeded to get in our face about what we had really signed off on regarding participating in the Shell Vacations Club time share presentation. He pointed to the section about “not having a scheduled activity for the next 4-5 hours following the 90 minute presentation.” Again, we understood the “activity” to mean the outdoor activities we had signed up for in exchange for the time share presentation. If we use the supervisor’s rationale for an “activity” then this could be anything from going to the bathroom to grabbing a cup of coffee….RIDCIULOUS! The supervisor was not only unprofessional and made rookie mistakes as a marketing person, but he was also accusatory and insulted our intelligence.

Even if we were interested in buying a time share with Shell Vacations Club prior to this “activity” issue, we never will now based on the rep’s and supervisor’s behavior towards us. They left a lasting bad impression with us – why would we ever want to do business with individuals who conduct themselves in this manner? They never once apologized for the misunderstanding, but rather blamed US for not freeing up essentially half of one of our vacation days to sit through their presentation. We would have NEVER signed up for this if we had known the commitment was really a 5 hour one rather than a 90 minute one. My wife ended up leaving early in order to get to her pre-paid commitment (so that we wouldn’t be charged a hefty cancellation charge for it), but I stuck around just to appease these folks and in the end our 90 minute presentation turned into an unpleasant 3 ½ hour experience. As the clock ticked on and I sat there through the remaining time, I proceeded to point out to the rep key points the rep was omitting regarding her financial calculations. This included revealing to her that I was fully aware that the so called “$90” a night she kept referencing was actually $410 a night once you add in the monthly maintenance fee and the total purchase price (over the first 10 years of ownership). These folks don’t talk numbers at all until they are well into their presentation. They are hoping (more like praying) that you get so caught up in the property itself that you won’t question their bad math and deceiving calculations.

If our experience is indicative of how Shell Vacations Club does business, then our advice to you is to RUN FAST. In the group presentation, they guy made several references to Marriott’s time share program and their inadequacies…..it’s really ironic that he chose to point out Marriott given that they have the best reviews of anyone amongst time share owners who have voiced their opinions online. Shell Vacations Club on the other hand holds the record for upset/disappointed/deceived time share owners who have voiced their opinions online. We think Shell Vacations Club actually has a lot to learn from Marriott. We never write complaints like this but felt that our experience put a damper on our vacation and we regret having ever signed up for it. Our advice to others is to pay the full price for those outdoor activities in Kauai before signing up for a so-called “90 minute time share presentation” with Shell Vacations Club." Something many of you probably already know, but we learned the hard way. You will be glad you spent the extra dough…well worth it to avoid the kind of negative and deceitful experience like we had. Mahalo!

• Te
    tedh Oct 08, 2009

Although the sales pitch is painful (and I would suggest buying timeshares from people who are liquidating their ownership for a better deal)... actually owning Shell is a great experience. We own both Marriott and Shell, and Shell by far is the more flexible of the two, but Marriott usually has nicer properties. Buying timeshares is like buying cars. If you have the money, its painless. When you try to get something for nothing, there's always the hidden catch.

• Pe
    pearljelly Mar 02, 2010

We've had similiar experience at Shell Vacation club.
    Their staff were curteous, but trainned to believe that people who attend their
    time-share presentations are idiots who can't do basic math. They try very hard to prove
    one point, they are here to save you money. When you prove they are wrong, their sale
    director would show you his true color, a hybrid form of ### / jerk.

We strongly urge everyone to think VERY VERY carefully before buying from this company.
    They are not here to sell you a nice lifetime worth of great vacations. They are indeed here
    to rip you off. Do the math carefully, after all the fees they charge on a monthly basis on those
    timeshares, you're paying more than rack rate for your accomodation.

They also argue that your timeshare is property ownership, and it's100% resaleable.
    Oh please, ask around, talk to time-share owners, see how many of them who just want
    to get out of it, but can't. There is a good reason why so many people rather donate their
    timeshare to charity than to own it. Who wants to pay never-ending HOA, club fee?
    As for the ownership aspect, many technical and legal questions remains blur and unclear.
    Their timeshare presentations only, seriously only discuss advantages of owning it, they would
    avoid at all cost to discuss the negative aspects. Even if you raise those questions, none will be
    answered.

• Ai
    Ailoron Mar 10, 2010

As a Shell owner I can honstly say I've never in 4 years experienced anything close to what these people experienced and we go to our updates every 6 months. The "contract" says no where that you must set aside 4 -5 hours for the presentation, the sales folks are presistant like most sales people can be, but are as honest as can be. I say it is the buyers responsiblility to do their homework and understand what it is they are buying. Say "no" if its not for you, start with an Explorer package and make sure it is for you. But don't blame the selling staff because you failed to hold to your guns and all you really wanted was the free stuff. Be honest, would they (or the company you work for) give away free things if they didn't expect the larger percentage of people to buy? No, that would NOT be very good business sense and Shell like your company would not be in business very long just handing out freebies. They have a sales staff that is SELLING you, hence the name SALES!

• Ge
    Get into action Feb 23, 2011

Start a boycott, email all your friends, family, associates, tell you story, post it on social networking sights, and ask to "pass it on" to as many people as possible.