Expedia.cadishonest & misleading web site

H

Expedia sent promo deal everyday to my email and advertised Europe trip as low as C$850 per person so I booked a Montreal to Prague vacation package flight + 6 nights hotel. The lowest price flight option was British Airway. I do not like to fly with British Airway because of the risk of potential strike. At the time I booked on line, the price was even lower than the advertising. It was at C$756 avg/person included selected items, taxes and service fee. Because of the strange low price, I read thoroughly terms & condition to see if there was any hidden fee. After I read the rules and restrictions, I accepted the price the total trip cost was C$1537.46 . This total was shown right above the payment option. I entered my credit card info and completed the booking. The instant on line confirmation cost is $2259.12. That was totally untrue as advertising if book together discount of + C$700. Then I made a trial booking right away to see if it was a mistake. The price is slightly higher than my accepted price. Therefore, I figured out this might be a computer system error and can be fixed. But I wrote to Expedia immediately to notify them regarding the overcharge. Customer support team replied a few hours later informed me that Expedia is a real time database and the rates and availability are constantly changing. Once the credit card information had been entered and accepted the price is fixed. Therefore Expedia refused to offer refunds or compensation for price increases. Expedia explained the rate was given to them directly from the airline and thus non-negotiable. I was very up-set and made several calls. I spoke to the first agent I wanted to cancel the transaction because it was not my accepted price, but she told me I could cancel the flight but it is non-refundable and subject to the airline penalty. She told me I have to take all the responsibility if I book on line. I was unable to spend time arguing with her on the phone in the workplace. So I called during lunch time, the 2nd agent kept saying 'can't hear you'. Give up. I called after work, the 3rd agent told me if I called the same day, transaction can be canceled without penalty. I completed my purchase at 10:30 p.m. I did call within 24 hours. After telling the story over again, he gave a case number and a supervisor will review. Every time I called to follow up, I have to repeat to tell the same story and then the agents started put me on hold for 20 minutes and refused to transfer me to the supervisor. Since then I made several trial booking on the site. The price was a little bit more, but the same package never cost more than C$1900. After a week, a supervisor finally sent e-mail to me with a very disappointed reply. They said their internal tracking logs advise of price change on the top of the page just before I completed my purchase. Expedia assured they had not overcharged. At the moment I completed my purchase, I did not see any alert. If this alert really exists, it should be displayed beside and right on top of the payment option, not on top of the page as Expedia supervisor said. This is to fool the customer and misleading the customer to proceed with an incorrect amount. I made several trial to check what is the current price, I don't believe the price went up at the second I completed my booking and went down immediately when I made another trial booking . This is a false advertising of low price and a trap to customer. Now Unite announced go on strike on my departure date, may be at that time I can get a full refund from the Airline. Because I made several trial booking, Expedia send e-mail to me and offer help for my trip. No thanks. I will never do business with Expedia and assure friends & family beware of this dishonest and unfair business game.

• Ws
    Wstreet Feb 25, 2014

On 20 Feb 14, my wife booked a hotel in Thailand by error (she wanted Turks and Caicos) (24 Feb - 7 days), she immediately contacted Expedia and was laughed at by the Customer Service Rep. She was told it happens all the time and that they would get back to her (within 24 hrs) after contacting the Hotel. Never recieved a call back.. She called Expedia again and they still did nothing but put her off for another 24hrs. After speaking with 5 different Reps, she finally spoke to a Supervisor who told her there was nothing they could do as it was now after the booking time (24 Feb). He offered her a $100. ccoupon for our next trip.
    These Customer Service reps had just cost us $1300. I find their lack of professionalism a poor excuse and Expedia should be ashamed of themselves.
    I have no problem providing dates and times of our calls to them from our phone records. I also have the names of the so called Customer Service Reps and Supervisor.

• Kn
    knowyourrightss Sep 04, 2011

the airlines are the one who cancelled your ticket. Expedia takes zero commission from the flight exchange, and so does the airlines, if the airlines cancelled your ticket, that means that it is a schedule change and in that case the airlines does not take any more money from you. please know your rights before buying and airline ticket, and as for the partially used ticket, the airlines do not allow any travel agency to work on partially used tickets, it is the airlines ruled

• Cl
    clownie55 Jul 06, 2011

While I was in transit to NYC I got an email from expedia telling me that my flight had change. The day before I leave, I went into their website to check my flight, only to find that it wasn't there. I called expedia and they told me to call the airline itself, that since it was a partially-used ticket (I AM IN NYC - THEY SENT ME HERE) there was nothing they could do about it. What a nice little scam - send travellers half way and when they are trying to get home, milk them for more money.
    I am now on hold with the airline (30 minutes and counting) to see if there's nothing they can do. They took my money, right?

• St
    Stainer B Mar 09, 2011

I am totally fed up with Expedia. I booked my trip to Berlin (flights and hotel), but unfortunately had to cancel. I called Expedia and the hotel was cancelled (am still waiting for the refund, however), but the air line ticket was non-refundable, so I was told that nothing could be done, although the confirmation I got from Expedia indicated that the air portion of the package might be changed. I insisted and provided a particular date two months down the line. Imagine my surprise when I received a confirmation for the wrong date with a change fee charge (which I agreed to). After three hours on the phone trying to rectify the error made by one of your agents, I was finally told by a Gary Miller to hang up and that his manager Shawn was dealing with the matter and would call me back when the correct change had been made (in 20 minutes or so, I was told). I was also told that there would be no fee charged for this change as the error was not my fault. I waited for the call-back which came several hours later and in fact woke me and my husband up at 1:30 in the morning. I was not able at that hour to deal with Shawn who asked me to call back in the morning and to ask whatever agent I spoke to to review the history of the file and to change the flights as I had previously indicated. When I did speak to the agent the following morning, she put me on hold for 20 minutes in order to review the file and then the line dropped and contact was lost. To date, some two days later, I still have not been able to resolve this matter. I am, to say the least, fed up and more importantly out of pocket as I cannot use the ticket that was erroneously reissued as I am leaving for another destination the following day. In other words, I cannot use the tickets that were erroneously issued by Expecia.

• Bo
    bowmanvillejim Jul 27, 2010

I booked a hotel in Niagara Falls, Ontario thru expedia. Associated with my Expedia intinerary is an optional voucher for dinner and attraction tickets. The validity dates of the voucher do not match the dates of my reservation. After 2 unreturned emails I callled their support line only to be told that they can't change the dates and I should just go use the voucher on the date it is valid for. Why would I travel to the city on a different weekend just to use the voucher?

Expedia sucks when it comes to customer service and I will never use them again.

• Tr
    Tricia Apr 25, 2008

I've just had a huge problem with an on-line booking with Expedia.ca and their customer support. Beware if you choose the split payment option if you're trying to use it for travel insurance from your credit card company. There's no guarantee on how the split will be made and I ended up with 2 airfares charged to my visa by the Airline, and a small additional charge from Expedia, making up my share of the cost. My friend had a lump sum charge from Expedia giving her 100% coverage. Credit card companies will only cover what's actually charged to you, and if you need to use the insurance they'll call the company that posted the charge. I called the Customer Service line at Expedia right away and was told that this was normal, not to worry and that the 2 air charges were my flights, a charge for each direction. I argued that wasn't possible because it didn't cost that much. She insisted that I not worry and it was supposed to charge like that but I was sure that one was my friend's flight. After checking with my credit card company I was told that I would only be covered for one airfare charge and whatever amount Expedia charged me. I would not be covered for the 2nd flight amount unless I could prove that it was mine. I tried calling Expedia several more times to straighten it out and could never get through. I finally spoke to someone 5 days before my trip and was passed to 4 different people, having to constantly repeat my problem, to finally have the last person tell me they would call back by the afternoon. I didn't receive a call back. I called the next day and was put on hold for 5 minutes after again explaining my problem. Then I was hung up on. I had to call again, and once again I got passed to 4 different people, having to explain my problem to each one. The last was a Supervisor who informed that there was nothing they could do and it seemed obvious to her that the split would have to be the way it was and I told her it may be obvious to someone in the travel industry but not to everyone else- nor is it explained on their website. I also informed her that I wanted Expedia to cover my lost travel insurance and she said that wasn't possible because my trip was in less than 5 days and their insurer wouldn't cover it. She was trying to insist that Expedia was not at fault at all but yet there was nothing anywhere to say that the airfare would not be split and I was given the wrong information the first time I called, well before the 5 day timeframe. The most she could do was offer me a $100 voucher against a future trip but I told her that if I need to cancel or interrupt my trip that Expedia would have to cover it even if it became a legal issue. Only then did she say that she would see if she could do anything else and get back to me. If anyone is planning to book this route, double check everything before you pay.

• Je
    jeff meyer Mar 14, 2008

ok so in regards to the infent flying it is free untill you get to the air port and at that point you have to pay infent tax thats the goverment that makes you pay that. expedia never charged you for the infent if you look at the cost summer i'm sure you will see that the infent looks like it was charged but if you look at the total amount it wasn;t actually charged. the amounts for the tickets and the full amount shown do not add up because the infent was not acually charged by expedia...in turn it is the air line any way not expedia as when you book on expedia the only money that go's to the company is the booking fee and the rest goes to the air line and or the hotel. or car vender. what ever you booked. so befor you flip off the handle at them look at all the details!!!

• Je
    jeff meyer Jan 29, 2008

ok do what you want but hey i'm telling you that we do all we can

• Ke
    Kenneth Toong Jan 16, 2008

I tried to rebook my ticket credit and I was put on hold for 45minutes. The CSR was pleasant and said that there is a high volume of calls.

I would suggest the Management do something about this sorry state of affairs.

Perhaps the top management should go and learn from Singaporeans about customer service. I will in future book my travel with Flight Centre.

Anthony Lim Sep 26, 2007

The website for Expedia.ca is misleading. Infant being charged a fare for flying even though it was obvious infant under 2 fly for free. Good luck calling their customer service as they will put you on hold for at least an hour to 2 each time. I called them five times and every time they will promise to find a resolution and get me back you back in 2 days. So far, I have not heard from a single soul!

Good luck purchasing tickets online! It is better off to buy it from a real person. No more Expedia.ca for me.