Europcar Internationalmisleading and overcharged services

J Oct 26, 2019 Review updated:

My name is Janna Semenikhina.
I've rented a car for 40 days (19/06/2019 - 1/08/2019) and paid for automatic Golf or similar 7 months prior. On my arrival to the Europcar at Flumicino airport, an Opel was given to me. It was dirty and quite big that is why I asked a smaller car, because I was informed by my friends before that in Rome a lot of narrow streets and better to use a small car. However, my request was rejected with an argument that the company has only large size automatic cars; all small cars are manual. That was only my request for upgrade. But, when I returned that car, I received an invoice with payment for upgrade 351.06 Euro. (?) The car was returned in the same condition and with full tank of diesel, but according to invoice they charged 100.60 Euro for fuel tank refill. (?) Besides, I noticed that Europcar debited from my bank account twice on 30 July 2019 150.06Euro and 507.30Euro. And, on 23 July 2019 150.06 Euro. (without any invoices). I returned the car on 27 July 2019, 4 days earlier without any demands for refund. However, I sent my concerns about an authorised debits from my credit card, for which company promised to investigate. That investigation took 2 months and after multiple of my emails the company accept the double charge of 150.06 Euro which was refunded to my bank account. But what about fuel charge and other? Now I dare to blame the Europcar at Flumicino airport Italy as absolutely dishonest and incompetent at their accountings. (Or, probably they are competent at profits to company by using any tricks!). it was my very first visit to Italy and the Europcar renting services left the negative impression at the end of my holiday.

misleading and overcharged services

• Ne
    nebNEB Jan 27, 2020

I had a similar experience. Do not accept an upgrade!!! The sales people are very misleading. They are expected to upsell every third customer so they are under a lot of pressure and use very sneaky sales tactics. They prey on customers who are weary from travelling.

We recently booked a rental car in Geneva through Europcar's broker, Auto Europe. We paid for it at the time of booking.

When we arrived at the counter, the sales person suggested we switch to a larger car. We did not ask for an upgrade. We signed a new contract thinking it was in replacement of the previous car we had booked only to find out when we returned that we were charged for both resulting in double the original price we had paid. They will not refund my money for the car we never used.

Disgusting business practice! Never again will I book with Europcar.