Empire Todayrip off

I had Empire Carpet come to my house and the slick salesman told me I needed 200+square yards and he then quoted me a price of 10, 000 dollars.

The same Shaw carpet cost me 3, 800 at Home Depot for 160 square yards. My savings are paying for my daughter's first year of college.

Empire advertised 50% off, the salesman didn't even bring that carpet in the house because of the poor quality. He then told me that another company would charge me 13, 500 for the carpet and proceeded to tell me how he would save me 3, 500 dollars.

RESOLVED

• Updated by Company Response · Jun 01, 2009

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at [email protected] so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

John Woods Dec 05, 2011

In January we had carpet put in our home, it looked ok when they were done, but the first time I vacuumed it, it almost broke my sweeper as so much fuzz came up. I called Empire Today that day and filed a complaint, they told me it was carpet blooming and that each time I vacuumed it would get less, well it is almost a year and I have talked to the customer rep and I still have just as much fuzz, and no answer from Empire Today except that they can replace it for $900.00 ? We have never enjoyed our carpet since we had it put in so what so we do?Please let me know what I should do?

• Bu
    Business Response. Sep 27, 2010

Thank you for bringing your sales experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please contact us at [protected] should you have any questions.

• Mi
    mikey84 Sep 24, 2010

Well a friend of mine had used Empire Today and he recommended them to me. I called and scheduled and appointment for 3-5 pm. Well on that day I didn't get a call until 6:30 pm from the guy that was supposed to come that day. He told me he was sick and couldn't make it and I needed to reschedule. This should have turned me off and I wish I never had them come here but I did anyway. So I made an appointment for 2 days later. The woman shows up and measures the room and is very shady about the whole process. She didn't tell me how much the carpet we picked out cost per square foot and just told me it's going to cost $1275 for a bedroom!! I was shocked but figured that I was getting carpet from a trustworthy company and it would be good quality. She took a deposit of $250 and quickly left. After looking over the paper work and realizing that it was a rip off I knew that I should have paid more attention and asked more questions. When I did the math I was paying $50 per square foot! This was my first time buying carpet and owning a home so I was not educated on this subject. I quickly called her and she was shocked that I called back so fast and started saying how she could check the local warehouses and see if she could get me a lower price. Well a thought that she would do this from the start and that they should be giving me the best price. She got mad that I kept telling her to cancel everything so she hung up the phone. I went online and stopped payment on the check which cost me$30 but it's better than losing $250. I received a phone call from her several hours later and told me I could have the carpet done of $500. That is less than half the price I was originally quoted so why could she go so low now? I didn't really care how low she could go at this point because I didn't trust her anymore. Once again I said no and she hung up the phone. I would never recommend anyone to use Empire Today. I went to Lowes the same day and got Stainmaster carpet with good padding for about $37 a square foot. And at least I knew what I was getting there and everything was explained to me in a professional manner.

• Fi
    five-o-hart Jul 10, 2009

Needed carpet. Empire sales rep was very nice and attentive. Things that I kept thinking about in the hours AFTER we bought:

1. why wasn't there a price on the sample? He only gave us the price per sq. ft. after we picked it. That's strange.
    2. no name brand or manufacturer on the sample. They advertise "top name brand" carpet but there is nothing stating what brand it is.
    3. pay the sales rep a deposit and pay the balance to the installers? The installers??? huh?
    4. AND $3.67 per sq. ft for 60% off? Hmm.. that seems 'off'. Yes, I should've calculated that when he was here but I was dealing with a 5 yr. old and just wanted it to be over (3 hours by this time)

So by the time I can think clearly about the above concerns it's midnight. So the next morning I look these guys up on complaints board and BBB... Holy Cow, more postings than I've ever seen on a company. Decide to cancel order, easy right?

Ok so to cancel Empire gives you 3 options... notification by mail (no time since we have 3 days and it's now day 2) mail from Dallas to Illinois will take at least 3 days and has anyone relied on USPS lately? second option is to deliver in person to the home office (hello? I'm in Texas, you're in Illinois) OR via telegram. Telegram? Who in the hell does telegrams today?? NOBODY that's who! So I overnight the cancellation notification via Fed Ex and pay $56.

Today I go price shopping for carpet. Home Depot, Lowes and a local carpet store. Everything I liked that was BETTER quality based on the warranty, the density and the twists and was about the same price that Empire gave us on sale. That's when I realized that if $3.67 was the sale price then the original price was $9.25 sq. ft. !!! Say what??

Lesson learned but the funny thing is I own a retail store and my prices are the same for anyone who wants to purchase. No hidden price tag and if it's on sale, it's on SALE. So I should have known better!

Oh, one other thing. I was at my store working when the sales rep came to our house. My husband calls me to say I need to come home because both of us are supposed to be there. Empire requires both "decision makers" to be home during the presentation. Um, did he bring us a time share condo or a Kirby vacuum????

Back to shopping for carpet. Thanks everyone.

• Ba
    Barbara Farrell May 20, 2009

Empire Today is very deceiving. I would never use them again or recommend them to anyone. We had laminate hardwood flooring put in last year, the salesman told my husband and I that we had 12 months to pay the entire amount without interest and after the first year we would start getting charged interest monthly. Instead after the first year we were charged interest on the full amount. Our flooring cost us $11, 000.00, for that amount I expect quality flooring and labor. I complained to them because we have some nicks and dull spots, (we do have 4 animals) that the salesman was aware of and said the flooring would stand up to anything. When I did complain they informed me that the salesman we dealt with was no longer there, but they would have a 3rd party come out and see what the problem was. I was astounded when I got the report saying it was my fault for the way I took care of the floor, We also have creeking on the floor in our bedroom (I wonder who's fault that is) This company is misleading and they do very shoddy work

• Ju
    june Oct 04, 2008

Actually, I found a place for laminate floor for 99 CENT SQ F!!! The warranty is for 50 years!!!

That is amazing, imagine all I can save. They installed it, they saud the installation is going to be around 500 bucks for 300 sg of my kitchen. Well, the store installed it in 10 days, it cost me 99 cents plus tax, but the installers charged me around 900 buck, the store said they dont have nothing to do whith installations prices, so I just paid it. The installation was fine, but, this store made me signed the 50 years warranty, and for my surprise, they said that once the floor is installed, the warranty is VOID!!! what in earht is that!!! A few months later, the laminate started to bend upwards, I called the store and I was told someone will be going to my hose in the next week. They indeed came the next, next, next week (three weeks later) and said that the laminate I purchased is very low quality and if I want it to last longer I should purchase new flooring!!! That is outrageous!! Next thing is that they will charge me 500 bucks to fix just a few laminates that are bending!!!

I had an estimate for empire today, but i learned from this blog that empire is a ripoff and that is not woth it, so I went to another store suggested in this blog, then all started to go wrong...

I learned my lesson, I should bought it from empire today in the first place, since they offered me an extraordinary flooring with written warranty and one year installation warranty. That is peace of mind. Next time, I will not be cheap as some people in this blog, shame for me, shame for you...

• En
    Energetic Sep 25, 2008

I happen to work at a flooring retailer.

Can i please shed some light on flooring for yah?

Flooring is simple although you need to be handy to accomplish some DIY tasks, flooring is not in any means confusing to buy.

I can break down the costs to witch it should have costed you.

You said you have 400SF to do, You need 10% extra for Cutting + Waste.

You need 440SF of "product"

Cheap laminate is 20bucks a case and decent stuff is 50bucks a case.

So lets say you went with the decent stuff @ 50bucks a case and in an average case your looking at 20SF.

-440SF divided by 20SF/case = 22Cases x 50bucks a case = $1, 100 bucks for "Product"

-Under lay for upstairs is 0.20Cents/SF and sold in 100SF rolls at $19.99 you would need at least 4 but lets go with 5

-$100 bucks for Underlay

-We install laminate for $3.25SF

-440 x 3.25 = $1430 modest eh?

You will need baseboards and some transitions so tack on another $200bucks just to be safe.

$1100 + $100 + $1430 + $200 = $2830 ($3113 with tax)

• Lm
    l. mcswain Sep 19, 2008

Thanks for your commentary. It was very helpful.

• Va
    vanessa Aug 11, 2008

I had empire come after seeing a commercial, as well. I have a very small condo and I already knew what the prices were for hardwood, installation, etc. He came and would never tell me the price per square foot. I should have known. Well, it did look nice, I will admit. He did the measurements and following that, I was giving the 60% off estimate. A 500 sq ft area (just the downstairs) was $5, 000. Wow, that was my entire renovation budget. I told the guy that was too much, and he acted like I was really underestimated the project. I told him I would think about it, and never called back (he did press to sign and do it, it would be installed tomorrow). He did offer to take 1k off, but I still had to carpet the rest of the house, and I wasn't paying that. Its just sad that they make their money off people who don't price check. Buyer beware!

• Re
    Rebekah Clerk May 23, 2008

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. We are currently looking into the concerns mentioned in your post. We will contact you within the next three business days. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] for further assistance.

• Er
    Eric C. May 21, 2008

So yea we saw the commercial, been wanting new flooring for a while. Finally we decided to go ahead and do it. From the start it was a mes... We made the appointment and the sales man was an hour late. I figured rush hour, busy area, we will live. He got here and was friendly, at first, but pushed to get down to business. This is my first time. So flooring, and pricing, is all new to me. Anyways, he went on about how good the product is, only top of the line stuff. To be honest I can care less that the laminate only has a 6% percent leak through. Not like I am dumping buckets of water on my floor anytime soon.

Finally he measures and comes up with a number. I don't know what he measured but I know for a fact we had less that 500 sq ft we wanted done. Actually when I tried measuring it myself, it's about 400 sq ft, give or take on weird angles and such. So finally he comes up with $8, 700.00!!! Well I didn't, at first, know that was a lot for such small square feet and laminate, not real wood, floors. 50% off??? Well, the product is supposedly 50% off. They don't do 50% off of labor because it's a 4 man job and they are not going to only pay for 2 men. He did explain that all 4 workers would have 10 years of experience.

Still, as expensive as it was, everything seemed to be going ok. Then I asked about 3 steps by my front door. Just 3 steps. Well you can't put laminate on steps, that would have to be hard wood. Okay, I thought, how about it. He told me it would cost an extra $1, 100 to do three damn steps! $1, 100 freakin bucks! All because it has to be hard wood. Well, we were financed out, and didn't have the extra cash. So after paying $8, 700, they couldn't give us 3 damn steps?? That started it all...

The next day the workers came. Well the sales man was lying. Wouldn't give 50% off of the work because it's a 4 man job. Well then why were only 3 men working on it? All ten years experience, at least... that was a lie, one of the was 17, and rarely did anything except cary supplies, sweep, and whatever else they asked him to do. So really I paid for a 4 mon installation, and they doubled up on the money. That upset me as well.

SO I start looking around, talking to people, etc. I figured I paid $17.40 a square foot!!! Installation and everything. That is way too expensive. I even asked the workers and had I bought the flooring myself and contracted them, I could have had it installed for just over $2, 000!!. AND the sales guy who explained that half of the price is automatically for the installation... OKAY I understand that. But that means the actual product WHICH I SUPPOSEDLY GOT 50% OFF was $8.70 a square foot!!! That is still about 4 times the amount for that exact product than I could get at a do it yourself store.

It gets worse. I wrote about it on the website. They said a 'customer service rep' would contact me in 1 to 3 days. Nothing happened. I did it again, nothing happened. I called Empire again, to speak directly myself, they said they had to contact a local office to speak with me so they can fix any problems. FINALLY the local guy called me. BUT he called during the hours I was working, even though I put on the website when is best to call. Then they never called back since. I have tried calling and get the same thing.

So I did more research and found out I could have bought the products myself, hired someone to do it, and pay less than half, or about half, of what I paid for this crappy experience. After researching this more, I realized that as soon as my year of no financing hits, they will rape you. If you made the mistake of going with them, pay it off before the year is up.

DON'T USE EMPIRE TODAY... complete rip off, and no customer service!!!