eBaymisrepresented item

S

I purchased a wedding dress from princessformals09 on eBay. The dress is described as "WHITE" but when I received the dress it is IVORY with the tag attached to the dress stating 'IVORY." I opened a case with eBay with a claim that I did not receive an item as described. eBay favored the seller. I appealed their decision and they still favored the seller. Apparently, eBay does not feel the color of the dress is important but to a bride the color is paramount! To me as a bride looking for a wedding dress, the colors White and Ivory are as different as Black and White. I no longer trust eBay as Buyers are not protected from sellers that misrepresent their items.

misrepresented item

Charger187 Nov 18, 2011

I also have had bad experiences with ebay sellers misrepresenting their product. I buy and sell fashion jewelry and have purchased jewelry from some sellers that are totally not credible. I also used payPal and for the most part have been able to resolve issues as long as I save the description of the product purchased. There have been a couple of times that PayPal has resolved the issue with the seller only offering 50% of the purchase price. I no longer use ebay to buy my stock from I go directly to a wholesale jewelry company. I would suggest when purchasing something as important as a wedding dress Ebay is probably not the best source to go to. There are alot of discount shops or direct buyer companies out there check out your options and make ebay your last. Most of the time items come from overseas with outrageous shipping and extremely long delivery dates, you may not have time to see if you get what you pay for. Just my advice that's all.

• Di
    disappointedingeorgia Apr 27, 2011

I know that sellers have a lot of issues with eBay buyers but that little route runs both ways. I recently went through a problem as a buyer and believe me, you are out of luck. In the case of a wedding dress, ask any bride if she would be willing to substitute white for cream or ivory etc. You will get a resounding NO. That is the point of finding out which color is right for you. If a seller cannot tell the difference then they shouldn't be selling wedding items because those color definitions are important throughout that industry. A wedding gown is the most important gown a woman ever purchases. The buyer has a right to expect it to be listed correctly. However, I am not surprised that she got no resolution. I would like to know if she was able to leave Feedback. With eBay's 60 days to leave feedback rule, I couldn't even leave feedback to let other buyers know I'd been scammed. If you can't trust the descriptions, the feedback ratings or eBay's resolution process I guess it is best not to do business with them. I know I certainly learned an expensive lesson.

Sonias_Daughter Apr 11, 2011

Crybaby, thank you. I followed the procedures listed on eBay and it failed. I did not start doing research on the next steps until I had the door slammed in my face and that is how I found this website which has been very helpful and motivating. I should have mentioned in my initial post all the steps I took to resolve the issue but I only provided a summary of my last steps in order to find out what further steps I could take to resolve this issue. The more research I did the angrier I became over the stupdity of eBay's dispute resolution; it hurts both the seller and the buyer and if it continues, I don't think eBay will be the great success it is now in the near future.

I think you made a very wise choice by getting your businesses out of eBay. There are plenty of websites for sellers to sell their wares.

Sonias_Daughter Apr 11, 2011

Thank you Mellen67. What I have found in my google searches is that eBay sellers most often fall victim to bad buyers. Most sellers would attempt to resolve a dispute and want to work with the buyer. I was unfortunate to get a bad seller. eBay Buyers Protection is supposed to be there to deal with issues when a buyer has a dispute with a seller and the seller does not attempt to resolve the problem. The issue is eBay Buyer Protection and the lack of intelligence behind their decision making process. I am gob-smacked by some of their inappropriate and unjust descisions in resolving disputes for both Seller and Buyer.

Sonias_Daughter Apr 11, 2011

If ivory is white, white is white and cream is white to you, then this validates my decision to not purchase a wedding items from an eBay seller. BUYERS BEWARE of purchasing wedding items from eBay.

Sonias_Daughter Apr 11, 2011

Crybaby, I did contact the seller first and received a hostile and threatening voicemail and that is when I opened an eBay dispute. Don't be too quick to judge. I have limited experience with eBay, however, with the exception of princessformals09 every seller I dealt with has been wonderful and I have no complaints. In fact, in my research on eBay complaints my heart goes out to many of these sellers.

Given this incident and my further research into eBay, I will never purchase another item from eBay as there is no protection for the seller or the buyer.

Success!!! Well, sort of:

eBay and PayPal have the same parent company so even though they are two separate companies they are siblings. Since eBay made the decision to favor the seller, PayPal cannot open a dispute on that transaction. I purchased the gown using my PayPal Connect account and that is why I felt that I could not dispute that transaction via PayPal. However, PayPal just informed me that my PayPal Connect account is through a third-party not related to eBay or PayPal and I was able to dispute the transaction. Awesome! I may be counting my chickens before they hatch as it can take up to 60 days to resolve this issue and there is no guarantee that I will be able to return the dress for a refund. Nonetheless, I am giddy with excitement that the door is not completely shut!

Again, thank you and I still welcome any suggestions.

Sonias_Daughter Apr 10, 2011

Thank you celestestar! I have tried to dispute the purchase via PayPal but it would not allow me to because they consider eBay to have resolved the issue. I just tried again and the same issue. I gave up on PayPal because isn't it part of eBay? I will call PayPal and will post the outcome.

Sonias_Daughter Apr 10, 2011

Thank you Mallen67! Unfortunately, I paid via PayPal so that door is shut. I am so sorry you had the same issue and feel your pain.

Sonias_Daughter Apr 10, 2011

Thank you so much for your comments about my issue with eBay. I have tried on wedding dresses and white is the best color for me. Purchasing a wedding dress is a very important event and I have researched and felt confident that I could find the dress online and knew what kind of dress I was looking for.

However, the isssue is not whether or not ivory will look good on me but the issue is the item I purchased from eBay does not match the description of the item. It would be more beneficial if comments related to the issue of making a purchase on eBay based on the description of the item and what should I do if the item does not match the description. I have gone through eBay's dispute resolution and they have found in favor for the seller. I have also appealed their decision and again they found in favor of the seller. This whole process took less than two days. I am concerned that there isn't much thought on the part of eBay in their decision making process. Further, it is clear that the seller misrepresented the item as the color was decribed "White" and the dress is ivory with a tag that states the color is "Ivory". I welcome any advice on what further actioin I should take to resolve this issue.

• St
    StacyLee61786 Apr 10, 2011

Most people actually look terrible in white wedding dresses and most dresses are actually ivory not white for that reason...

Sonias_Daughter Apr 10, 2011

The pictures she used were from Alfred Angelo which is fine but she also used pictures from a glitzandglamour.com listing of the same Alfred Angelo in a size 4 in white. The picture I posted to my complaint is a picture I took to show that the dress described as white is in fact ivory and the tag supports it. I now attach a picture from princessformals09 listing.

Ivory is not close to white.

Comments