Dualittoaster

J Jul 10, 2019

My Dualit toaster almost caught fire when the timer stopped part way, and yet the elements stayed on, getting hotter and hotter. It seems this has happened to many people before me and fires have been caused as a result of this design fault. Fortunately I went back to toast a second round and found the toaster red-hot and potentially about to start a fire. I've spoken to Dualit customer services and, as is clearly the pattern, they blamed me, saying I should have switched the toaster off at the plug immediately after having taken my toast out of the machine - seriously? So what about a child or an elderly person with memory problems, would Dualit blame them? Well I was told that they shouldn't be allowed to use the toaster! They offered to send me a new timer for £27. I told them that this is totally unacceptable and that any risk assessment, which they are legally obliged to undertake, should have made it clear that a thermal cutout is required as a second line of defence. They then told me that new machines have a thermal cutout and if I send the machine to them, they will fit a new timer and thermal cutout for £36.30. Why did it take my interrogation to get to this point. Why isn't Dualit taking their legal duty of care seriously and making this suggestion to complainants as soon as they explain the problem? ...because that would be admitting liability and that is more important to them than customer health and safety? There's no mention of safety or the additional safety feature on their website either, presumably for the same reason. It's the last time I buy Dualit. For safety and reliability you have to buy German these days, I am sad to say.