DonnaplayFalse advertisement

D

I went to you tube to whach a movie. You Tube said the movie was removed and pointed to a site in the description below. So I selected it, Donnaplay site came up and the advertisement said whach movies for free. I thought ok I'll check it out. The next screen that came up was the registration site including credit card number. It said this number is for registration only and will not take out any money without your permission. The next screen said five day free trial to whach the movies. I called and had my account closed immediately. My complaint is why didn't they say "Whach free movies on a five day trial period" on the first page instead of taking my time to fill out all the info and, then, tell me it's only free for five days. I was given the impression that the movies were free on the first page because of the way it's advertised. Is this considered false advertisement?

• Rl
    rlshaynes Jun 13, 2015

Yes it is a scam. On the first page they say they will only charge if you upgrade to premium. This is a straightforward lie.

• Sc
    Scott Saunders Jun 16, 2015

Thank you Thank you Thank you!! I went through the same Youtube redirect to watch an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation. Oop's, what is this "donnaplay" that I see now? They say it's free, but it's just too easy to Google "donnaplay + reviews." That search brought me to you. Yup... too good to be true I guess. Millions of movies for free! Sort of like Netflix for free? Oh well, I'll know better now.

• Me
    meggg Jun 19, 2015

i signed up to get an ebook once i signed up it kept on directing me to the sign up page and the book was not in their list. then to cancel my free trial i had to pay $1. what a scam AVOID donnaplay at all costs.

cajunokee Jun 20, 2015

Yes, this is a scam!!!

cajunokee Jun 20, 2015

I had the same experience with trying to watch a movie on iTunes.

• Jj
    JJ_G Jun 21, 2015

I was searching for a PDF document on site and I was directed to Donnaplay which indicated it had the document. it said there was a 5 day free trial so I signed up hoping to retrieve the document. Once I was signed up, I searched for the document and I guess no surprise, they did not have the document. This morning a received a $34.95 charge on my credit card indicating the trial period ended and they put me on premium service. This site is a pure scam. avoid it at all cost... .

• Ho
    Homeimps Jun 24, 2015

I signed up last night (June 23, 2015) for a free account to watch an episode of Mad Men. Found immediately that the site kept trying to force me to sign up for a premium account. I did not even get to see if Mad Men was available. Next day I cancelled my Donnaplay account and then found they were trying to force me to PAY for an express cancellation. I did not pay and emailed them immediately to cancel my account and ensure that my credit card would not be billed. Got an immediate reply saying my account had already been cancelled. If there is a charge on my credit card, there will be war!

• Sh
    shyam_shrivastav Jun 28, 2015

I am Indian citizen. I wanted live streaming of "French Open" tennis May 31 2015 and got redirected to donnaplay. Paid for premium membership and immediately realized that there is no live streaming at all. Cancelled the membership immediately and was promised partial refund within few days, well its one month and no sign of money. No proper reply on contacting customer support. Also they are holding my card information and not cancelling my free membership. And the most ridiculous thing is they are charging for "EXPRESS CANCELLATION". How weird it can get ?? I wonder what USA state authorities are doing regarding this. I strongly urge USA citizens to spread the word around about this fraud DONNAPLAY to save gullible people around the world. Also urge authorities to block to shut down this scam.
    Shyam, +91 9848033002

chiefman1962 Jul 01, 2015

Yes they are crooks. I had the same experience.
    I was looking for a particular book about the Scots-Irish and when I googled it I was given donnaplay as a site that had it where I could download it onto my flashdrive.
    I went there and wnet through the "5 days free membership thing" and then went to where they wanted my card # which I put and then I saw where the charge was going to be $34.95 so I immediately called and told them to CANCEL my "membership". I told them if there were any charges I would report them to my State Attorney Generals office and the BBB. Well, there is a $1.00 charge, so I carried out my threat.. I also am wondering if the Federal Comunicaton Commisson needs to be told of these crooks.

Comments

chiefman1962 Jul 01, 2015

I just filed a complaint with the FCC about these crooks.

I told the BBB, the State Attorney General's office and the FCC about this board, so they will see it isn't just me having these issues.

DominiqueGuillebaud Jul 03, 2015

to all
    I confirm
    I am French, it is clearly "publicité mensongère" and "escroquerie" ie deliberate false information, seroius lie
    They tend to let you beleive that tehy ahve an agreemnt with Orange ! to give them some credibility
    what is sure is that they just deserve to be on top on my dangerous website list..

have a nive day

• Ro
    Robers? Jul 03, 2015

Can they steel money from you? do i have to close down my credit card now?

nomiseletitep Jul 07, 2015

Hi,

I you do not close your account quickly after this "trial period" they charge you 38, 95 euros. This is what happenned to me.
    I am trying to get my money back, but it seems hard.
    Funny thing, they FAQ is only about money issues, which leads me to think they are aware of their dishonesty.
    Is it possible to gather to complain ?

Cheers,

SLP

nomiseletitep Jul 07, 2015

Hi,

I got stolen 38, 95 because the premium upgrade is automatic.
    I tried to get my money back yday, let's see...
    They are not honnest, as proven by their FAQ, only relating to payment issues.
    Can people launch a collective claim ?

SLP

• Lo
    Lois TB Jul 09, 2015

My name is Lois Thomson Bowersock and I am the author of the book "Out of the Snare" that is offered in e-book format by Donnaplay.
    I have no knowledge whatsoever of my book having ever been transcribed into an e-book format. Donnaplay is offering this book without my permission and they are selling this book illegally.
    If you want a copy of my book contact me via my website: www.loisbowersock.com I will be glad to provide you with a copy. Please do NOT pay these thieves for my book.

• Ro
    Rob7458 Jul 09, 2015

Yes, these people at DonnaPlay are very shady. You asked if it's illegal to offer something FREE and then to reveal it is only free for 5 days. As unscrupulous and deceitful as it is, I don't think it's actually against the law. They said it was free and it was. They just didn't tell you it was a limited free trial. Bad businesses know how to dance around within the law. It's a good thing you are helping to bring them to light with your complaint. I hope people will take a few minutes and check here before they give their credit card numbers out, especially online! Good luck I hope it works out for you.

• Dj
    D.j.m. Jul 09, 2015

I've had trouble with accounts like this before. If you get falsely charged and have a good bank (major/popular bank) call them and say I did not authorize this and they will put the money back instantly and handle the behind the scenes stuff with those shady A-holes AKA donnaplay. You won't have any future worries or troubles from donnaplay or whoever in the future once your bank is involved. I hate companies like this. Ripping us off like we don't work hard for our money. Oh and thanks for the help guys cause I was searching to see if I should sign up (wanted to watch the new mad max) why does it always have to be to good to be true in our money driven world!!!

donnaplayhater Jul 10, 2015

donnaplay sux dont use it they stole my money never ever use it if u can sue the owner of the website

donnaplayhater Jul 10, 2015

donnaplay sux. dont use it. they stole my money. never ever use it. if u can sue the owner of the website plz do.

really

• Cf
    CF Smith Jul 11, 2015

Thank You All for your complaints about donnaplay. I fell for the same 'trial period' scam already mentioned, trying to get a repair manual for a lawnmower - advertised as a free PDF. I have now canceled them out and stopped all charges, and will get the $1.00 charge back. I can't recover the three hours wasted by me and the bank reversing this. They are dishonest.

• Donnaplay.com Media Relation Department Jul 14, 2015

Hello All Members,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do like to offer our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you’ve suffered as a result of this situation.

As stated during our sign-up flow and in our terms and conditions pages, we do offer a free service for 5 days. Additionally, even if you cancel, you get access to a limited selection of our content for free, forever. You always get something out of signing up for our service, even if you don’t end up going for the full subscription. Because of this, we are able to advertise our service as “free.” It is not a scam, and it is not illegal. This is how many online free trials work, including Netflix’s.

As far as the YouTube advertising goes, we advertise through a wide network, and cannot always monitor the way they choose to advertise our service. If you see an advertisement that you think is misleading or fraudulent, please report it to our team ([email protected]) and we will deal with the problem.

We hope this clears a few things up. Thank you for reaching out to us. Messages like yours help keep DonnaPlay safe, accountable and scam-free.

Donnaplay Customer Service

• La
    Larry - New Jersey Jul 15, 2015

No matter what you think you signed up for you will always pay!!! When you think you subscribed to their "Free Service" you have actually subscribed to their Five Day Free Trial after which you will charged $34.95 per month automatically. If you realize this happened you have to call them up to cancel. Then they will send you an email saying they miss you and will offer you their service for only $9.95. If you click on any part of the email you will automatically be enrolled and will be charged $9.95 immediately. I am sure that you will then be charged either $9.95 or $34.95 per month every month thereafter.
    They are SLEAZY. I need to disinfect my computer because it smells so bad!!!

• Donnaplay.com Media Relation Department Jul 15, 2015

Dear Larry,

We apologize if our services did not meet your expectations, and appreciate you taking time to share your concerns.

Our goal is to provide a consistently reliable product and an exemplary level of customer service. Based on the event you describe, if you believe you were misled please call our toll-free number at 1-888-983-0264 for US and Canadian customers, from 24h, 7 days a week., or send us email [email protected] and we will be happy to help in the best possible way.

We promise that we will strive to resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

Regards
    Customer Support Department

• Di
    Diane Orona Jul 15, 2015

Not only did they lie about anything being free, but they used my credit card account to buy Playstation games. They definitely need to be shut down immediately! IF YOU HAVE GIVEN THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD, BE SURE YOU CANCEL THE CARD NOW!!!

• Donnaplay.com Media Relation Department Jul 15, 2015

Hello Diane Orona,

DonnaPlay did not, and never would, use your credit card to purchase PlayStation games. After looking at your account, we concluded that your card has not been charged by DonnaPlay.com at all. We can provide proof of this with a screenshot of the invoice we pulled up when checking your membership account.

Please contact us at [email protected] We will provide you with a screenshot of your account (which has a balance of $0.00) and a reference code so you can contact our customer support department and receive further assurance that your card has not been charged.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Media Relations Department

CatDog123 Jul 16, 2015

So i was about to sign up for this, so thanks for posting this guys :D i came really close to putting in my number, and then decided it might be safe to do other research.. so thanks a lot guys! I also noticed that people on here were looking to see mad max.. I'm pretty sure that it is on putlocker.is along with a lot of other movies, the only reason i was trying to go to donnaplay was because they said there was a movie on there that I've been trying to watch that isn't on putlocker yet.. so if people want to watch movies that are free go to putlocker there isn't any scam, just a lot of popup ads and i can promise you I'm not one of those guys trying to get you guys over there, I'm not I'm a 15 year old girl trying to watch a movie :P (sorry for bad grammar, i don't feel like doing school stuff during the summer)

• Bj
    bjrbasura Jul 18, 2015

Folks, just contact your credit card company and explain the situation. I've been a victim of a couple Internet scams and immediately contacted my credit card people to alert them so they would not pay the scammers. That's all it took.

JanC57 Jul 19, 2015

Thank goodness I checked here before going any further. I think the first thing you should consider is if the site is free and they are not going to charge your card why would they ask for this information? I wanted to watch the Voice Australia; I shall just wait for it to show up on Youtube.

• Om
    Om Ahmad Jul 21, 2015

same happend to my husband, they charged his visa with$84.90 ! this website is scammed . we dont even have account and we did not register in their website, i dont know how they get access to our visa info!! i gave them a call to have explanation to what happened, they just said that will refund us and they didnt answer how they get access to the visa info as we didnt have account with them!!! dont use this fake WEBSITE.

• Cr
    CRTurner Jul 21, 2015

I ended up signing up to it following a link for a pdf, and I have the following complaints:
    1. As said in the original complaint, it makes out like it's absolutely free but it is actually a 5 day trial.
    2. What's disgraceful is they automatically have the "upgrade automatically" box checked and you have to actively un-check it
    3. Once I'd finally gone through the laborious sign-up process, I discovered the document I originally clicked on a link to doesn't exist on their site. I'm still confused by that.
    4. Trying to cancel your membership isn't exactly easy. They charge you for it if you want it done straight away!

I've got a screenshot saying my membership is cancelled, but I think I'm going to call my credit card company anyway just in case. Does anyone know what name they use when they charge the card?

cheukee Jul 21, 2015

They don't have the book that they claimed they have so I wanted to cancel my membership right away, being aware that sometimes very dishonest site does charge you immediately after the trial period. Therefore, after a long investigation of the site and its disclaimers, I got to know that once you put in your info, you are doomed coz they can do whatever they want to get money out of you. I am quick enough to cancel the trial membership within the same day so that I don't need to pay the extra $1 to cancel it immediately. Still, they say they can put you in the line of waiting lists of membership cancellation and you don't know when it might be even though they said it would be as long as 3 days only!!!
    I am not sure if they will charge me later in my life coz you have no link or button to delete your account and the credit card info you provided!!! I just want to get out of the whole thing!!!
    Anyone confirm that you need to change the membership back to normal one every month????!!!

• Sc
    Scam Busted48 Jul 23, 2015

Total scam. Do not use donnaplay. I am filing a BBB complaint. Before my "5 day free trial" was up, I was charged membership price. I had been unable to pull up movie they said they had...Batkid Begins. When I called to complain, the agent read some fake claims back to me and talked over me. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put through to an agent satisfaction line. My second call, I was put through to a supervisor telling me her name was Julie Black. The initial agents name was also supposedly Julie. Ms. Black tried to coerce my mailing address saying they'd have to issue a check and were unable to credit my account. Keep in mind, this all occurred BEFORE 5 day free trial period was even over. Why did I not research first? This scam company has gone to great lengths to appear legit on their web page. We are in a day and age where we can't jump into online businesses. I am reporting to Better Business Bureau and hope all of you foo too.

• Mi
    Michaeldit0 Jul 26, 2015

Thank you to all. Saved me a hassle.

• Ni
    Nicky Wooten Jul 27, 2015

Hello my name is Nicky Wooten and I am the author of "Sentenced At Birth" that is offered in e-book format on DonnaPlay's website. I did not authorize this or even have an idea my book was being offered here. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would like to purchase this book please do so from Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
    This site is a fraud, they collect your info and charge you guys but never pay the author anything. Please do not give these people any more of your money

• Donnaplay.com Media Relation Department Jul 28, 2015

Dear Members,

We apologize for the delay in response!

Donnaplay.com is legitimate and holds licenses for all content sourced from its many media providers. When a website has offers as great as Donnaplay.com, it’s normal for any savvy Internet user to wonder about legitimacy. You can rest assured; however, that Donnaplay.com is legit.

As indicated during the trial membership signup process, the 5-Day trial, when offered, gives you access to our Premium services for five days. To avoid service interruptions, your trial membership automatically renews as a monthly Premium membership unless cancelled before the trial expires.

If cancelled, your Premium trial membership will revert to a Free Regular membership, for which there are no monthly fees.

Our website is compliant with the latest internet security standards and we take your privacy and safety very seriously. Your personal information is stored on secure servers and we will never spam your inbox or sell your information to any third-party.

Please send us email on [email protected] or send us message through our facebook page and We promise that we will strive to resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

Regards
    Media Relations Department

• Ni
    Nicky Wooten Jul 29, 2015

The funny thing about this site is you guys are using people materials and refuse to address the matter. I am the author of Sentenced At Birth and I did NOT authorize the use of my material for this site. You do NOT have the right to showcase or even allow free download of my eBook. I placed a formal complaint and called and still haven't gotten a response from your team. If this isn't pulled down in the next 24 hours or someone hasn't bothered to contact me I will be taken further actions to resolve this situation!!

• Mi
    Mick Smith Jul 29, 2015

Who in there right mind would give out there credit card details to any company that claims there goods and services are free????? McFly!!!

• Fi
    finn55 Jul 31, 2015

THEY CHARGE TO CANCEL, whatever currency you have that charge one of it for cancelling account OR TRIAL PERIOD

TOO ANNOYING STAY AWAY FROM AT *ALL* COSTS OR ELSE IT IS A BIG SCAM AND WASTE OF MONEY
    DON'T EVEN DARE ENTER YOUR CARD DETAILS THEY WILL PROBABLY CHARGE YOU

• Fi
    finn55 Jul 31, 2015

They use DONNAPLAY.COM to charge and will probably charge nomatterwhat