Direct Energybilling

P

I am at my wits end. I have not received a bill from Direct Energy in 4 months, I have called, I have emailed, I have complained (to the PUC). I was told it was an internal problem, yet it seems after doing a little research that I am the only one with this problem, and I have been told also that my bill has not been generated. This has happened to me once before about four years ago, when DE didn't read my meter for almost 8 months. I was contacted by a rep about a month ago and she assured me that I would receive my bill within a matter of days. That never happened. I am on a limited income, so aside from the fact that they will bill me three times a month, I will have to go without food and medicine again just like the last time this happened. It is also weird that my five year contract is coming due. If I had known that DE had been sued for deceptive practices, I would never have signed with them. Your better off with TXU and I don't like them either.

I am having the same problem since July 08

I am having the same problem. No bill since July 08

Name Withheld Oct 08, 2008

I am having the same problem. No bill since July 08.

• Da
    Dan Shupert Oct 08, 2008

I am also having the same problem. I do not want to get a bill for $2000.00 at one time, especially after such a hot summer. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH DIRECT ENERGY. We have called, emailed etc. I signed up with them in Jun, it is now October...

Paula Oct 08, 2008

My suggestion to any of you on Direct Energy Texas is to file a complaint with the Public Utility Commission of Texas. It worked for me. Direct energy can be fined up to $25, 000.00 a day for not sending a bill every 30 days. I finally got a bill a week ago after complaining to the PUC twice.

• Br
    Bruce Allen Oct 20, 2008

In recent days in the DFW area, I heard that folks I know were having billing problems and shutoffs by Direct Energy from folks here in DFW, Texas.Didn't realize that they had D.E...then it happened to me.
    I have recieved 5 invoices in October and went from owing 83 dollars to 350 dollars...Supposedly being back-billed for June-July..They are Con Artists and had the slickiest Telemarketer's that pretty much would not stop with their reason why it would be so much better to sign up for them---how great they were excetra, excetra...I am contacting Investigative reporters on television and newspapers today..Direct Energy Needs to be Exposed to the Public.

Paula Nov 05, 2008

Well here we go again. After filing two complaints with the Public Utility Commission, I finally got my billing straightened out, , , or so I thought, , , now I don't have a August or September bill and probably a October bill either. I just don't get it. I have never been late actually I pay it the day I get it. They can't blame Oncor. Oncor reads my meter like clock work every month. I have been with DE for 7 years. I am going to file another complaint with the PUC again If I don't have a bill in the next week, then I am going to the media.

• Ka
    karin rosenthal Nov 13, 2008

I, too, did not receive a bill for several months. However, after speaking with several very plesant costomer service reps, I chose to pre-pay my bills. Everyone is well aware of how much electricity they use, so either put the money aside if you choose not to send it the the provider or carry a credit on your account like I did. Your monthly expenses don't change just because the utility company doesn't send you a bill.

Paula Nov 19, 2008

First of all, I am not MRS. Money bags. My husband and I are on a set income. He is disabled, so yes my monthly expenses do change, and yes I do pay with a debit card and yes I debit it to my account where it sits in their account collecting interest for Their company, until it is due. What You don't know is that DE is breaking the law and is in violation of Substansive Rule 25.479
    part (b) (2) and can be fined $25, 000.00 per occurrence to wit: providers are required to issue billing no later than 30 days.
    Once again, the third time I have not received a bill since August.

• Ca
    Cassi Dec 01, 2008

I have also had the same problem since July and it's now DECEMBER!!! I have contacted the PUC, but still nothing.

Has anybody actually contacted the media about this?

Mark Dec 01, 2008

Same here no bill since July but have received 2 letters stating they are having billing problems. They enclosed $25 shell gas card each time. Weird!

Joanna Graves Dec 03, 2008

Same problem here. No bill since July. Every month I call wanting my bill or to at least tell me what I owe. I have a business account. My renter has been out of his mind with worry that they'll just shut the electricity off. Every time I call they say we don't owe any money and that I should get the bill in a couple of weeks. Last time I called I told them I want to talk to someone who can tell me what the h*** is going on! Finally got some kind of manager.She asked if I had gotten the letter telling me they had raised my rates. No! Got the gas card last week. What a joke. If we ever get this bill straightened out we are so out of here! What a way to do business.

• Co
    Cowboylikeme Feb 07, 2009

Same problem here, no bill from October thru Jan... We started buisiness with DE in October and never recieved ANYTHING in the mail even stating that we were indeed on their grid. Its kind of hard to pay a bill when you dont even have a customer id number. Either way I have called them weekly for 4 months and was told every time that they were having a problem with their billing department and that it would be fixed very soon. One time they even told me that the billing machine was destroyed in the Hurricane that hit the Texas coast.. HAHA I recieved a bill yesterday, on Feb 6 2009 and my bill is for $1200.00 dollars... They assured me that I would be able to make payments once I recieved my bill, I called them today and they are willing to let me pay it out for $282 a month on top of my current months charges. So bottom line is that I am going to have to pay 500+ a month just to keep my electricity on. Thats not the issue I am complaining about. I am mad because they couldnt get me my bill on time. I forgot to mention that they also tried to blame Oncor (the people that reads the meter) by saying that they had not read the meter... When I called oncor they told me my meter reading for each month. De is a bunch of liars and crooks... Avoid if you can.

marcye Feb 11, 2009

Have any of you been charged for "smoothing"?

• De
    Dennis Feb 12, 2009

I got a bill from Direct Energy for over $500. I called to find out what was going on, and though some of it was explained via an error on my part, the CSR found out that my account had started with a balance already on it! So she sent an inquiry to the billing department and gave me a number to call in a few days. I called two weeks later and they still hadn't done anything so someone I spoke with put the inquiry into a supervisor's inbox. I got a call a few days later just to say that they were now starting the investigation. Then I got a call a few weeks later from some CSR saying that she saw a call back notice and wanted to know what my question was. I explained the situation and that I was supposed to get a call from a supervisor about the investigation, then she said that the system showed no investigation, and that I would not be able to speak with anyone about it.

Direct Energy is a piece of garbage.

• Sh
    Sharon Wilson Feb 17, 2009

February 17, 2009

I highly agree! My situation covers all of the above and more. The company Direct Energy is passing their problem onto the Consumer instead of working with the consumer.

This matter will be taken to their legal counsel as well as the news media within the next 30 days.

Anyone who wishes to join me pleases email me at [protected]@verizon.net or you may mail me at address shown below.

Right is right and wrong is wrong. Direct Energy is very wrong in today's world.
    Thank you and looking forward into hearing from you consumers who want help.

Sharon Wilson
    2912 Robindale Ln
    Grapevine, TX 76051

• Pk
    pklotz Feb 23, 2009

Sharon- your email is kicking back.

We have had similar problems- Direct Energy has sent us several bills with widely varying amounts due and will not substantiate the usage that they are claiming that we had from August to November. We paid up through November and asked for a reread and then cancelled with them. We moved out of the apartment and they still insist that we used $90 in electricity in December despite nobody being there and no re-read being done. We asked them to re-read our meter and stop calling us because we want to correspond by mail to document our discussions and still they have continued to call.

We're pretty fed up because they won't tell us how much we owe them or how much we over-paid them for previous months!

Pat Trull Feb 23, 2009

WARNING! DO NOT USE DIRECT ENERGY FOR ANYTHING! Direct Energy is quiet possibly the worst utility company in the area. Three years ago I received an outrageous light bill and called for a re-read the day the bill arrived. After 2 wks and no call back we phoned again. Someone had canceled our request because the bill said ACTUAL. Baloney! When they came out to read the meter again we were told we would get a large credit because the reading was SO off. Instead, we were charged the 2nd reading like it was our next bill ending up having to pay BOTH bills. PUC could care less and always sided with the utility company. Now, we have the same issues happening and NO ONE could care less! Each of our last 4 bills said ACTUAL but they managed to apply 4 credits to my account in 1 week then send me another outrageous bill to make up for the credits. My January bill was almost $300 for a 1900 sq foot house with no one at home during the day. WHAT! Of course they said 'sorry - that was an actual reading' - i suppose like all the other actual readings that weren't. We’ve tried changing providers and – both times we’ve tried - our paperwork mysteriously gets lost! I think they’re all in bed together with the PUC! One thing IKE taught us - a generator looks pretty good from our eyes.

• As
    ashowhorse Mar 23, 2009

I signed up for Direct Energy when I moved into my townhouse. I signed up in August of 2008 and then disconnected my service in Dec 2008. Not once did I ever receive a bill. I called this company 15 times to find out why I hadn't receive a bill and to pay any balance that I had due. Each time I was told that they did not have a balance for me and that they were having issues with the system that generates the bill. Now in Feb 2009, I receive a bill for the balance. I called and tried to set up a payment plan and the supervisor told me that I could just pay $100.00 each time and this would keep my bill up to date. Also when they started calling me in Feb 2009 I hadn't even received a bill yet. So I asked them to send me the bill first before I paid. I received a bill a few days later and sent them a payment for 100.00. Now 20 days later, I have received a notice for my bill in collections. I am telling you, this company is horrible!!! Yes they are cheaper but for them to send my account to collections when I haven't received but one bill (which I paid 100 on) in 7 months, that is just ridiculous!!! I am so mad and will be posting and giving them horrible reviews on every single website I can find!

Oh also, when you call be prepared to be on hold for a minuim of 30 minutes!!! And most of the customer service reps, can't speak english very well so it's hard to understand them!!

• Gd
    gdwa Jul 09, 2009

My ultimate complaint is that Direct Energy is so completely incompetent that remaining with them became impossible. During the first 6 months I received my electicity from Direct Energy I only received one bill. They were completely incapable of generating a bill. When the bills finally did start coming there were several conflicting statements that came. We paid each one almost immediately - though it was hard to tell what we actually owed.
    My father who switched to Direct Energy at the same time I did had ever worse trouble. In fact he only received his first bill after about 11 months when he and I decided we should move our service because Direct Energy is so incompetent.
    That is when things really went wrong. They closed my account and sent me a final bill which I paid 2 weeks before it was due. Almost immediately upon cancellng my coverage I started receiving calls from [protected]. When I would answer no one was there but it was clear it was an automated call. On July 3, 2009 my father mentioned to me that he had been receiving calls from an 800# that was driving him crazy because no one was ever there when he answered. He decided to call the # and found out that it was a collection agency looking for me. To be clear, I have not lived with my father for 20 years. As it turns out Direct Energy had turned me over to a collection agency at least 3 weeks before the bill was even due. The collection agency made many harassing calls to both my house and my father's house but NEVER left any messages. I was told these were "courtesy" calls, but no one can explain to me how this was courteous. This collection agency now has all my information including my SS#. Do yourself a favor and avoid them. There are too many better options out there than to deal with them.

• 1b
    1badd51 Jul 18, 2009

I have to say that direct energy and oncor are both very poorly run. I have never had a problem in the last five years until this year. I am not the type of person to complain about everything or think that I am owed something. I just want honesty when I speak to a company or a customer service rep. I have been receiving two to three invoices a month, all with different amounts to pay. I call customer service and they just blame it on Oncor saying meter readings errors. I look at my previous bills and they all say "estimated". so when does Oncor read meters? Why can't a company stand by what they say anymore? this feels like a monopoly and they could care less because you really don't have a choice. if you change electric companies, you still have to deal with the same service providers. I believe something needs to be done.

• Ad
    adelodder Aug 19, 2009

I totally understand your frustration. I have been using Naturaly Gas through Direct Energy for a year now. After moving into my townhouse, I noticed that I wasn't receiving a monthly bill. Fine, so one day I come home and there is a pink piece of paper in an envelope on my doorstep telling me that my services have been disconnected. I phoned their "Arrange Payment" line and tried to figure out why I wasn't receiving my bill. We went over my address letter-for-letter/number-for-number and on both ends, we had a perfect match. So, why is the bill not making it to my place? It's the exact same address as every other bill delivered to me. Anyway, the butt head (yes, I said butt head) representing Direct Energy on the phone said " I don't know you or your girlfriend, but! but, I am just going to let you know that I think she is hiding your bills from you!" He mentioned this with his knowing of my being employed in the Alberta Oilfield which in turn meant I am away from home alot.

Okay so, 25 dollar late fee and a 25 dollar re-connection fee later and I got my gas turned back on. I also, sent a complaint to the proper department in regards to butt head with no apology or real empathy for what took place.

2 MONTHS LATER - I get back from a stint at work and notice there is still no Direct Energy bill. All the other bills are there: Phone, Cable, Electricity etc... All of which have the exact same mailing address as what was given to Direct Energy. WHAT THE @*$!&?

Now, you can imagine my frustration when I have to pay the two 25 dollar fees for re-connecting my gas!

So, here we are a couple of months later- I am still at the same address and you know what time it is? It's come home to the little envelope on my front step letting me know that my gas is ONCE AGAIN turned off without warning and won't be turned on until I pay my bill which they can't manage to mail to me.

My question is:

If I can receive every monthly bill in my box with the same address given to Direct Energy - why can't they get it to me and why WHY am I the one having to pay re-connection fees and never once getting a call to let me know that my bill has been sent out and ...I don't know what to do? You can phone and complain to them and it gets you absolutely nowhere.

Andra86 Aug 25, 2009

I was told when I first signed up with direct energy that my rate was going to be 4.5cents per kwh and when I recieved my first bill I was paying 11.4 cents per kwh. Im a single mother of two and I cant pay 400 a month for electricity. I have even been turning my ac off during the day and my bill hasnt gone down a bit.

joe214 Oct 12, 2009

Be Ware. DIRECT ENERGY
    Of direct energy. This company is scam, if you are late on paying your bills on time they will charge you 5% of your entire bill then they will charge you $25.00 (Collection Recovery fee) my question to them you are charging me 5% on what I owe then you are charging another $25.00 immediately after. Why should I pay twice for the same reason? I asked this question to many representative at-least four. None of them can give me a reasonable answer all they said is “ this is our policy” this completely a Scam and this big company are nothing but twisting peoples hand and scamming people money and making millions if not billons. Yet again general public is hostage to this big corporation. If you are signing up with any utility company please read this fine print. Also do not sign or agree on anything over the phone. If you need stablish service ask them this question.
    What is the cancellation?
    What are the hidden charges?
    Example : what if you are late. And what are the charges.
    If they are charging 5% its acceptable but if they are charging additional charge which they can I believe because they can then it’s not right.
    What are the TDSP charges?
    Is your cancellation charges are prorated.
    Cancelation charges should be prorated
    Because you already stayed with them X amount of month and they should prorate your cancellation fees.
    Utility company are worse than credit card, pay day chase, or even a robber only because there nothing you can do about it. Consumer should open their eyes and become energy independed

martha gomez Oct 28, 2009

don't get this service bad over charge 500 dollars only two people at home. i regreat being at this company my bills are too high and im only being with this company 3 months thinking of going somewhere else

martha gomez Oct 28, 2009

im not happy with srvice

• Gt
    gtboyblue Dec 29, 2009

Well after reading all of the above complaints I will agree 100%. This company needs to be investigated. I had a bill in Oct 09 fpr $89.00. Then in Dec 09 over $220.00. My wife and I both work out of town and there's no one home 95% of the time. Now how is that possible. We all need to send a petition to the governor of Texas and expose this company. I seems like there no help from anyone. The media is also a good start. CNN, ABC, CBS the works. This mob yes I said it MOB needs to be exposed.

• Bo
    Bob Hinchcliffe Feb 16, 2010

I have had a lot of trouble getting rid of the monthly builling. Somehow there is a balance of .06 cents showing owing on our account. We paid the bill in full many months ago, but keep getting a bill every month for far less than the cost of sending the bill to us. WE DO NOT OWE ANYTHING. CAN YOU POSSIBLY SEND A MESSAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER TO THAT EFFECT, and we will not be bothered with this bill every month (beside the fact that it is costing you money. DO YOU HAVE A PHONE # so that I can talk to someone personally about this? PLEASE DO SOMETHING!!!
    wE ARE BILLED - bOB hINCHCLIFFE, 164 Riddell St., Woodstock, Ontario. Account # [protected] 5.

THANK YOU.

jasper garcia Mar 02, 2010

People here in Texas should start a public company run by the the people in the state;all yhe high bills will stop.I recived a bill for $350 for an apt. that is only 600 sq.ft and the bill was for only one month.What a rip off, the fact that we the people complaint means nothing, to resole the problem, the people in that state should start an electrial co-op and own the company for the people by the people.

• Ba
    bam4224 Jul 25, 2010

Direct Energy is a complete rip-off. I was charged over $70 on my first bill which was for 9 days. They gave me a bill stating I used over 500kw of energy during that time; however, I had no appliances other than a refrigerator (no TV, microwave, etc.), neither did I leave lights on or made extensive use of a/c or heating. I don't even have kids or anyone that lived with me. When I inquired about the charges, they said they would send someone out to check the meter at "my" cost. They checked it, and of course said that there was no error on their part. For the remaining 5 months on my lease, I averaged half of the initial usage, and my bills were about $30 a month. No more than $40. No way I could have had that amount of energy consumption in 9 days if I wasn't using it in 30 days. Also, Upon disconnecting my service, I requested my deposit to be mailed to a separate address since I decided to move. I was told the information was updated, and that my payment would be received within 4-6 weeks. I called multiple times to verify this information was accurate. I was told everything was taken care of. However, I checked online and the address was incorrect. I called and they corrected the problem, but after I didn't receive the payment for some time, I called again. This time I was told that my payment was mailed to the wrong address (my old address, even though I updated my information), and that I would have to wait an additional 4-6 weeks for them to mail my payment again. I told them that the period of time was unacceptable, and asked that they mail it overnight. I was then allowed to speak with a supervisor, who stated that the payment was made to the correct address (the first employee I spoke with gave me a different story), and that there must have been an error with the mail system. I asked the supervisor if my payment could be mailed overnight even if at "my" expense, but she continued to tell me to wait 4-6 weeks. I asked to speak to someone else, but she came back to the phone only to tell me to leave a message on someones machine. By this time, I was through asking for "my" money (I was calm and professional the whole time). I got real firm with them. (I let them know I was serious without speaking loud and outrageous). My payment was then mailed overnight. My advice... be firm, and seek legal action if you have to. IN YOUR FACE DIRECT ENERGY!!! lol

• Ho
    Hot in Houston in More Ways Than One Jul 28, 2010

I was going to sign up with Direct Energy today. I am a Continental One Pass Customer and they offer 5, 000 miles as a bonus to sign on with Direct Energy. But since the number they post is not a working number I gave up. It's probably a Continental website posting error but you just lost a customer because of it. The number listed to call is 1.800.377.1021 but no-worky. Now after reading all of these comments above, I think I will stick with TXU.

• Am
    AMANDAIN3616 Aug 14, 2010

I have to say that I too am irritated by Direct energy. I only recived 3 bills the whole time that i have had them . I made my deposit of 300.00 in august of 2009 and had to wait until Feb 2010 to connect my electicity due to an old breaker box. I called after its repair and was told that i would have to pay an additional 50.00 for the newly updated deposit of 350.00. I felt taken addvantige of because I had already been quoted 300.00 and payed it 6 months in addvance, but I needed the power on so I paid the additonal fee. At first everything was fine until now. I called to make and made what I thought was my monthly payment of 82.96. Called to give the operater my confermation number and make sure my account was credited to avoid any dissconnecton. Well Theats when I found out that my account had been closed out and i was going to have to reenroll after having service with them up until ... GET THIS!!! AUG. 10, 2010. Yes juat 3 days had past they not only cut my power with out notice but closed my account completly then on aug 11. 2010 mailed my finale bill that i wont recive for a few more days. and now I have to pay a 400.00 deposit to reenroll and get my power back. I have a final bill of only 7.15. I am Outraged that they can do this when they are so lazy that they cant even send the bills to people and took my deposit after railroding me. then trying to up the price again. SCAM ARTIST!!! Now I have 4 kids 13 yrs, 11 yrs, 3 yrs, and a 2 month old that just had kidney surgery and no power because DE is so MONEY HUNGRY Anyone who works for them should be asamed of them selfs for being affiliated with such a monstrosity of a company. SHAME SHAME ON YOU DIRECT ENERGY FOR ROBBING PEOPLE OF SOMETHING SO IMPORTANT!!! HOW DO YOU SLEEP> OH THATS RIGHT YOU HAVE COOL AIR WHEN ITS HOT AND HEAT WHEN ITS COLD, LIGHT TO MAKE YOU BABYS BOTTLES AND HOT WATER TO WARM THE MILK. HOT WATER TO TAKE BATHS AND WAS DISHES TO FEED YOUR SELF AND CHILDREN. WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WITH FIXED ENCOMES YOU HAVE MANIPULATED AND THE YOUNG WHO HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOUR MISTAKES. WHAT IF THIS WAS YOUR FAMILY YOU WERE TAKING AND PUTTING THEM THROUGH THIS TORTURE. MY GOD BLESS ALL OF US WHO HAVE TO BE HUMILIATED AND STRESS OVER WHAT WERE GANNA HAVE TO LET GO TO GET POWER ON AGAIN. YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS AS I HOPE MY FAMILY IOS IN YOURS.

• Da
    David Rainville Sep 29, 2010

I owe Direct Energy 269.00 dollars, yet, they have been sending a bill to my former address and I have not received the proper bill to pay the amount for cancelling my contract. I have called them many times and asked them to correct my name and address so I can pay yhe bill. I even wrote a letter of complaint to the Better Businness Bureau of canada and ASKED them to send me the bill. They responded that I broke my contract and owe them 269.00 dollars. Go figure.. I said I'd pay it, just send me the bill, , please!!! I still have yet to receive the bill. This company is out to lunch. I can't believe how incompetent they are. I also must point out that their employees have a poor command of the english language and I think that if they hired people that could speak english they would have understood what I was saying from the start. Hey Direct Energy SEND ME A BILL!!!

• Up
    upset new customer Oct 07, 2010

big regret...Joining Direct Energy. I was told oh, you will get a $200.00 visa gift card in 8 weeks if you sign up with a $200.00 deposit. WELL...2 MONTHS PASSED GUESS WHAT? NO CARD. Direct Energy told me a third party company handles this. GUESS WHAT, I signed up in July. The absolutely rude Supervisor told me that I will rec my gift card 9 MONTHS AFTER SIGNING UP, AND THAT I WAS TOLD THAT. NINE MONTHS. who does that? oh Direct Energy. And they dont have to worry about my business anymore.

• Fu
    Fugly68 Nov 27, 2010

I too owed them $270 dollars. Unfortunately signed a contract and 3 months later I sold my house. I moved out of the country and thought all my bills were paid up. When I returned 6 months later I found out that I was sent to collections over $270 and I have a bad credit score because of it. Oh well, I have learned my lesson but they should be put out of business. No other company can get away with this so why can they.

angelogcs Feb 13, 2011

Totally agree. Direct Energy is the WORST company I've used.

• Am
    Amanda311 Mar 22, 2011

I am back with Reliant and HAPPY AGAIN!!! Complete imbeciles run Direct Energy. They are completly incompetant of anything. Including their own rates!!! Talking to them is like pulling teeth!!!

• Ka
    Karla Beatty Apr 14, 2011

We moved out of our home in December, phoned direct energy to give our forwarding address to mail the final bill to. When we never received a bill from Direct energy in the month of December, I phoned about the bill to the customer relations department the agent on the other and of the phone declared that I did not have an account with them, and the account that we had previously held with them was paid in full. I stupidly assumed that the agent had her information correct and assumed the bill was taken care of. WAS I EVER WRONG!! As we are finding out now there was a 63 dollar balance remaining on our bill that has now been sent to a collection agency to collect payment. When I spoke with a direct energy agent I was at first told that we indeed DID not have an account with them!!! I phoned back and spoke to a second agent who told me we DID have and account, was owing the 63 dollars that the collection agency was asking for, that they has sent us 2 bills and called 2 times... Ummm never recieved a bill, there were no calls. Asked to speak with a supervisor who then told me there were 3 bills sent out within 2 weeks, (according to the dates she listed), and we were phoned 2 times and the phone was busy. They told me to call canada post about not recieveing the bills and that we should contact our phone service provider to see why the calls had rang busy when we have CALL WAITING that goes directly to voice mail when on the other line. Why is it that this company will not take responsibility for the mistakes of SEVERAL of their employees... and admit that this is not entirely our fault?? Yes, I shouldn't have believed the first agent I spoke to, but I assumed they were doing their job!! I will never use direct energy again if I can avoid it in any way!!!

• Ti
    tit749 Apr 19, 2011

If you are listing to what they are saying, Direct Energy charges the % late fee (which is within the law), they are also charging a $25.00 fee to mail out the disconnect letter, that they will disconnect your electricity in 10 days if the bill is not paid. Even if you electricity is not shut off, they will charge you a $25.00 fee each time they send out that envelope with they letter and veribage. It's more money for Direct Energy to mail that disconnect letter, rather than disconnecting your service. They make more money that way. Ignorant stealth pilot

• Pg
    PGPMD Apr 20, 2011

I just received a call from a DE representative who did not begin the call introducing herself as such! Said she saw that we were with BGE and they can provide us with lower rates for our electric. She gave me a price and I asked if there would be any additional charges, i.e. tax, supplier fees, anything of course she said no we'd be charge just the 9.49/khw. Well this didn't really answer my question so I pulled a bill told her the # of khw we used prior and she quoted a very low amount that we'd be paying each month. Sounds great, but too good to be true! I told her I needed to get this in writing before I made any changes (not once did I say right or yes, to answer her questions I just said correct.) I was told it would take too long to get the information to me and rates would've changed, but she pointed me to their website she evidently had a problem navigating and I read the Terms & Conditions. Here is I found DOCUMENTED EVIDENCE at the very beginning of the agreement that says "This price is for your electric generation service, and it excludes taxes, distribution charges and other utility fees and charges, " At this point I again asked what their cost would be? She indicated that the price she quoted would be their charge (gotcha!). I read to her what the agreement indicates and the verbiage changed and she said yes there would still be taxes and fees for the state. I told her their price would make our bill higher than it is now with our current supplier...pause on the line, then she asked Oh you already have a supplier. Yes, how else would we be able to get our electric, even BGE even bills as a supplier! Thank God for presence of mind to have her hold and look up the company and Google for reviews, which is how I found this page. So people of Maryland beware!

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices