Direct Energy Services Logo

Direct Energy Services

Having problems with Direct Energy Services?

+1 855 461 1926 (Customer Service)
+1 866 348 4193 (Sign Up for Energy, Small Business)
+1 888 925 9115 (Sign Up for Energy, Large Business)
+1 888 548 7540 (Energy Customers, For Your Home)
+1 732 750 6464 (Small & Large Business, Natural Gas Triggers)
+1 713 877 3500 (Head Office)
+1 855 334 3577 (Home Services)
+1 800 830 5923 (Business Energy)
+1 800 437 7265 (Direct Energy Business)
12 Greenway Plaza, Suite 600

Support for Energy Customers
Direct Energy, PMB № 51, 7385 North State Route 3, Westerville, OH 43082

Complaints & Reviews

vicious bullying

Direct Energy = Vicious bully Corporations tend to put a lot of money into goodwill, advertising their...

no complaint

The best rate and fastest services that i have seen in my life. A++ company. There is always a good article abou them.

owner

Scam scam scam!! Owner writes bad cheques all over gta. Owes money to all their suppliers so they need a down...

price gouging/faulty equipment

I had 670 kwatss on November, winter weather has been bad north, but Texas has been mild, and now 2 month in a row had had reading over 2500 kwatts, the highest ever on a bad winter 3 years ago was 1490, so this company is ripping off a disabled/ill person, I am now writing from Starbucks and I wonder If I am gonna survive the freeze tonight, these type of companies put the name of capitalism at the bottom as all executive being paid our ripped off money don not do a heck about customers, this company ripps poor people they are worst than HITLER...what a corporate shame to see so many scam complaints over the internet...even the call system is not employees and a hired answering services, this company direct energy is criminal and criminal are those polititians they donate money to...

misleading contract practices

I wrote this letter after sitting on the phone with their customer service people for 4 hrs last night and got no where. I feel that they need to be stopped but also add my name to the very long list of complaints about this company.

When I moved into my previous residence in 2002 I was immediately bombarded with sales people from this company. It got so bad that they were leap frogging each other and I ended speaking to 3 different sales people in one day sometimes.

Well in 2008 times were tough for my young family and we needed to save money and these sales people told me that I would save alot of money by signing with them.

Then I moved in June 2009 and now my hyro bills are in access of 400.00 a month when they were previously 120.00 a month max.
I was told by direct energy that my fixed rate is higher now and can't be lowered unless I sign a new contract. I wasn't going to do that because I was already 2 yrs in on this one.
When I wanted to cancel they said they could once they received the 1600.00 needed to pay for the full amount of the contract it would take 2 billing cycles to confirm it.
For some reason I feel that this is a bunch of crap. I said to cancel my contract and bill me, they say no they can't cancell until they receive this payment.
Am I wrong to believe that this is entrapment.
As stated below, after some research I found out that the whole thing was a lie from the get go.

Here is the complaint:

I am writing to inform you that my contract with you for my gas and hydro are null and void and I want my money.

1. At the time of signing in 2008, I was told that should your rate become higher you would give me the lower of the two rates.
Well, after some research, even if he was telling the truth he was still lying because the Government of Canada states that ONLY the power companies and gas companies them selves can charge the lowest rate. YOU JERKS AREN"T EVEN ALLOWED TO CHARGE ME THE LOWER RATE, YOU ###!!!

2. I WAS NOT told of a penalty charge that would consist of the full amount of the contract.

3. How dare you entrap me and extort money from me by telling me that you won't cancell my contracts until I give you 1600.00.

4. Your customer service people are a waste of space. They are rude, arrogant, extremely unhelpful. When I asked to speak with a supervisor they did everything in there power to stop me. Is this how you are treating your customers. You need to be shut down.

I want my contract voided due to fraud and misrepresentation.

This letter is being forwarded to the energy board, maybe you will be fined again, Our MPP, the MP of ontario and the federal government. I will help in any way to get the bill to protect us from you dirtbags gfet passed through its second reading. To become LAW.

I have the customer service reps name, the supervisors name, and the floor managers name so far and ID #s. I am goig up the ladder and having each and every one charged with accessory to fraud, false advertising, and misrepresentation. The police will get this letter, our LAWYERS will get this letter, and we have full intention of taking each and everyone of you PERSONALLY and the company as a whole to the Supreme Court to make sure you don't do business in this town again.

This letter is being forwarded to all our newspapers to coincide with the nice little Marketplace article where employees won't even sell this to their families. Nice. Your own CEO says we NEED to pay high prices in order to stop regulation. Nice make us pay for your beef with the government.

Do you tell your sales people to mention all this stuff. I assume not. Does this information influence my decision on signing a 5 yr contract, yes it certainly does.

I was tricked and every single one of you knew it.

Void my contract now or face jail time.

Mandy Fairbairn

electricity charges

I was in agreement with Direct Energy Electricity provider for my area starting November last year 09 As per...

over pricing

PRESS RELEASE DECEMBER 2009

The Energy Scam Why are we paying triple the going rate for our energy?

I recently discover the secret to my soaring energy bills, It wasn’t that I had the thermostat turned up to high, it wasn’t that I was leaving lights on over the house, it wasn’t that I ran the A/C all summer long even when I was at work, no it was much more serious than I thought, the more I tried to conserve the higher my bills seemed to be and there was nothing I could do to control it.

I had to go back in time to unravel this mystery all the way back to 1997, to the lure of saving money on my energy bills, to the lure of a badge wearing, clipboard carrying sales rep standing on my front stair explaining how I can save a bundle, just sign here! What a scam.

Oh sure if I could find a copy of a bill from 1997 they may of saved me a penny or two on my energy cost you know at that amazing introductory rate but that time has long since pasted. Today they have jumped their rates to more than triple the rate charged by the Gas and Electricity Companies that they had warned me about, with their surcharges and this and that charges that they can’t even keep strait and my favorite “if you want to get out of this it’s going to cost you a bundle” charge, they have managed to send my energy cost sky high.

I was talking to a friend who is in the bankruptcy industry and they have actually had clients filing for bankruptcies this year and the main cause listed for their bankruptcy was The Energy Scam. It seems that third party billing companies are running up bills so high they are becoming unmanageable for some and a real strain for most people to the point of total economical stress.

I think it’s time we speak up and that these companies be held accountable, that controls be put in place to regulate them and protect individuals and business from energy scams.

ENERGY SCAM CONTINUED…………………..

It all started to come to light when my friend in the Bankruptcy Business had mentioned that clients had listed the cause of bankruptcy as “The Energy Scam” I thought I better have a closer look at my energy cost, because for a while now they have seemed a little high and I’d done all the conservation checks to make sure I wasn’t wasting energy, you know check the water meter to make sure I didn’t have any leaks at a toilet or tap, installed a programmable thermostat, trained my teenager to turn lights of when he wasn’t using them anymore, put a timer on the swimming pool so the pump only runs when the solar heater is being cascaded with sun. We put in a high efficiency furnace, replaced the hot water tank, increased the insulation in the walls and ceiling I thought we would save even more but oh no are energy bills kept going up.

We started to look at the bills and went back comparing our usage, we were down from last year but the bills kept getting higher. First I contacted the electric company Horizon Utilities; I wanted to know what their rates are and what it would cost me if I was being bill directly from them instead of Direct Energy.

After talking with Horizon Utilities I knew I was being ripped off. Let’s see if I was to pay for my electricity directly from Horizon Utilities my electricity bill would have been $112.02 plus GST instead of what Direct Energy charged me which was $334.78 plus GST. Now I think it’s time I have a little talk with Direct Energy, If you think I was upset when I realized I have been getting scammed you would be right but that was nothing compared to how angry I became after I had to deal with a double talking customer service rep. at Direct Energy. Amongst all the double talk from the Direct Energy Rep. I was able to decipher a few things, first being if I want to get out of the contract it’s going to cost me over $300 they base it on how much time is left on your contract it could be more or less then what they want to charge me. That on my bill and yours you will see a charge for Provincial Benefit which in my case was $74.75 this a fee Direct Energy say’s that the electricity company applies to the bill, I checked with the electricity company and was told that the Provincial Government applies this charge to third party billing not the electric company, the electric company is just passing it on as they are required to do so. So why would I or anyone else want to pay additional charges that only apply to third party billing when we could by direct from the electrical company and why was this detail never mentioned by the badge wearing clipboard carrying sales rep who stood on my door step telling me how I could save money if I signed up with them. I don’t see any savings just Direct Energy dipping into my savings.

Hang on I’m not done yet, now I want to look at my gas bill, seeing how my third party supplier is Direct Energy as well. As I mentioned we have reduced our gas consumption by replacing our furnace and hot water tank but my equal billing has shot up from around $125.00 per month to $196.00 I don’t understand this if my prices are locked in with Direct Energy and my consumption is down the how did my gas bill go up, I better contact Union Gas and check into this. If I can find out what it would cost me to by my gas from Union Gas compared to Direct Energy’s rates I might be able to make some sense of it. When I contacted Union Gas the helpful customer service rep was able to provide me with a breakdown of their pricing. The facts are clear, if I bought my gas from Union Gas I would be paying 11.33 cents per cubic metre rather than the 37.90 cents per cubic metre that Direct Energy charges me, more then triple the price “but you’re going to save money if you sign with us” Ok, how’s that working out for me. There’s more, Union Gas Transportation Fee, Union Gas price 4.07 cents per cubic metre Direct Energy 6.968 cents per cubic metre, Storage, Union Gas price 0.99 cents per cubic metre Direct Energy 1.99 cents per cubic metre.

I thought I better cancel this contract as well; Direct Energy wants over $700 as a cancellation fee.

In both cases I asked to speak with a supervisor they wouldn’t connect me, only when I told them I was going to go public with this they put my call to accelerated priority and a representative would contact me within 2-4 business hours, that was December 17, 2009 haven’t heard from them and chances are I won’t.

• Ro
    Robert Meyer Jun 15, 2010

I can't assist in all cases where consumers are encountering problems with Direct Energy, but if you entered into a natural gas supply contract with Direct Energy / Enbridge Home Services in Ontario around 2002, and your contract was renewed without your consent, I've set up a free website (directenergyrefunds.blogspot.com) showing you how you can potentially claim a very large refund from Direct Energy, as I've done.

• Ho
    Horizon Sucks Jun 17, 2014

My experience with Horizon has been equally brutal.

1) When I moved to Hamilton I found a small 1 bedroom apartment downtown and called Horizon to set up my account. Despite the fact that I have good credit and passed their "soft" credit check I was still asked for a $300 deposit due to the fact according to Horizon that my buildings address "has a history of delinquent accounts". Ok but how is that my problem? So I give them the $300 and was told that the money could be refunded "in as little as 6 months with a good payment history". Fine. However it has now been 12 months and Horizon is saying that I wont be getting that money back until my next bill despite a good payment history. Just tell me its going to be a year from the start and don't lie to me.

2) Getting connected was a nightmare. I set up my account on a Tuesday before a long weekend and told Horizon that I would be moving in that Saturday. The connection appointment was made for the Wednesday a day after setting up my account. I was told that since the meter wasn't in my unit (the meters are on the side of the building) that they would not need access and that I would not have to be there and I gave them my landlords number as per their request just in case. Tuesday rolls around and still no power. When I called Horizon they told me that they needed access to my unit to "check for fires" ones they installed the meter and since no one was home they did not connect me. I rescheduled the connection for the following day (Thursday) and instructed them to call my landlord who lives across the street as he would walk over and let them in if needed. My landlord said that he has never been asked by Horizon to access units like that but would do so anyways. Horizon showed up, did not call me or my landlord and did not connect me saying again that they could not gain access to my empty unit and now Horizon was accusing me of missing connection appointments . Worried that I might not get connected I rescheduled for Friday and even took the day off work to make sure I had power for the weekend move in. They gave me a window in early part of the day but by 3:30pm on a long weekend Friday I was still not connected and no one had shown up. I called Horizon and was told not to worry that the installer works until five and just to sit tight. At 4:45 I called Horizon and was told that the installer went home at 4pm and that I would have to wait until the following Tuesday to get connected! At this point I was quite upset and they told me it was my fault for "missing appointments" and that the meter installer was a "third party" and there was nothing they could do anyways. Luckily my landlord allowed me to run a power cord from the laundry room plug so I could at least have some light for the 4 days until the next appointment. They connected my power finally the following Tuesday and my landlord let them in and when I got home there was muddy boot prints all through my apartment. Thanks Horizon great service.

3) My apartment is tiny. I travel a lot for work and dont need much. I have 7 lightbulbs in total all LED, a half sized fridge, electric stove and radiant heat that is not electric yet my power bills are around $150 for 2 months and I am not home for at least 2 weeks every two months. Horizons rates are criminal and I am sure they are OVER BILLING so beware. I sporadically ran a small AC unit last summer for a couple months and my bill was almost $100 a month for a tiny bachelor apartment that Im rarely at. How they can get away with charging that is beyond me.

• Pa
    Pain in the Wallet Aug 19, 2014

Opened my latest Horizon electricity bill today. My rate for the last two months equalled what it did in the dead of our very cold winter when I was running baseboard heaters 24/7. The amazing thing about that is I dont run those energy hog baseboard heaters in the summer and I dont have an air conditioner or even fans of any kind. Now heres the kicker. I was away for two weeks in June and unplugged everything yet my bill is equal to what it was in the winter when I use by far the most electricity. According to my usage report I used as much power as I did in the winter. That is not even possible. Horizon is engaging in criminal over billing and providing bogus usage statements plain and simple.

automatic renewal of contract

I had a 5 year gas contract with Direct Energy which got completed in Aug 2009. I never consented to renew the contract with Direct Energy. Now I have received a bill with Direct Energy rate of 3 times the market rate for the gas. When I called Direct Energy they advised me that they automatically renewed the contract for 1 year at a predetermined high rate. I requested them to cancel the contract immediately, to which I was told that I will still be billed for next 2 billing cycle at such a astronomical rate. By doing a search on internet I noticed that I am not alone in getting cheated like this. Is there any consumer protection against such practices?

• Ot
    OttawaON Nov 23, 2009

Direct Engergy are a bunch of crooks. After my 5 year gas contract, they took the liberty of renewing my rates at four times the going market rate and called it "protection." What a scam. Never do business with these scam artists. I should take them to small claims court for unilaterally ripping me off.

• Re
    renold Jan 23, 2010

It happend to me too. What can we do?

• Re
    renold Jan 23, 2010

My contract was also renewed without my approval. I call them to cancel but they said there will be $225.00 panality I have to pay.

Please advice

• Ro
    Robert Meyer Jun 15, 2010

double billing for cooling protection plan

In March 2009, I was charged for two (2) Cooling protection plans - Double billing. I have called Direct Energy 5 times and each time I have been told it will be corrected in the next 1-2 months. I was told today that I will have to wait until the end of the contract term Mar 2010 to see if I was over charged.<br />
<br />
Each time I have called I was told it would be corrected and that I would be credited the amount, now I'm being told I have to wait another 5 months befor I find out if it will be corrected - WRONG!!!<br />
<br />
Direct Energy has said that if I did not pay they would turn it over to a collection agency after 3 months, why then must I wait 12 months? That is completely unacceptable.

customer service

As like many others, I have had several problems with Direct Energy. I felt the need to not only let consumers know, but also those running the company. I am sincerely hoping that making these key persons aware of how the company is operating, some changes will be made. I would encourage people to write kind, factually-based letters if you are looking for things to change. Here is the contact information that I have found:

Attn: Chris Daugherty

12 Greenway Plaza, Suite 600
Houston, TX

• Br
    bradpaquin Jun 01, 2011

My wife called and added our new house last September. We had 2 houses on one account through the winter and paid everything in full each time a bill came. Yesterday Atco (Alberta) shows up and tells my wife that they are at my house to disconnect as 'no customer application for service' was received... in 10 months!! I call thinking this is a mistake and then I get my first experience with Direct Energy "Customer Service"... FML!

Long story short... I'm boiling water for the kids bath... getting a bill for an entire year and have company coming tomorrow with service not being reconnected until they leave... BEST part of this story... the supervisor at Direct Energy told me that not contacting me for 10 months (no letters, calls, nada) WAS MY NOTICE!!! Way to reach for that rainbow jackasses!

I am switching to Enmax on Friday and everyone I talked with since discovering just how ###ic this company is has told me that they have had similar experiences and wouldn't touch Direct Energy on a bet... live and learn I guess.

If anyone asks me from this point on... I'm tallying them to stay away from these clowns... maybe they can go back to whichever country their customer service department is in...

terrible company

• To
    Tommy Jul 11, 2009

Last summer I had a Direct Energy canvaser come knocking on my door. He told me that if I switched to direct Energy, I would get a lower rate for gas and save money in the winter than if I stuck to Maintoba Hydro. This turned out to not be the case. I am paying a few points higher than my local energy and gas company and I am on a 5 year contract that is supposedly expensive to get out of. I called Direct Energy and they said that I shouldnt've been told that I would be paying a lower rate. Now I'm stuck in 5 year contract paying over $300 for gas a month. Who the hell can afford that on a modest income?

• To
    Tom Dowling Jan 02, 2010

PRESS RELEASE DECEMBER 2009

The Energy Scam Why are we paying triple the going rate for our energy?

ENERGY SCAM CONTINUED…………………..

sales agents lies, marketing material false

On October 15, I allowed a Direct Energy sales agent by the name of Andrew Atkinson into my home to discu...

protection plan rip off

I signed up for a heating protection plan in 2009 and was paying 20.99 per month. In one service call I wa...

billing scam

Has anybody else been experiencing this? Direct Energy does not take a meter reading, but makes an "estimate"...

billing/meter reading

We received a bill from Direct Energy today for over $900. When I called to speak to a rep. she gave me my meter reading for the past 4 months. All of them were around/averaging 80, 000 except Decembers reading which was almost 800, 00 (over 100, 000 more). We did not have any extra appliances and we didnt even put up Christmas lights or have a Christmas tree. They said that the readings were accurate and put me on hold to call Ancore to verify (Ancore owns the meters). At that, we just moved into our small home in November. We had Direct Energy prior at our apartment and when we moved Direct Energy was suppose to mail us our $250 deposit. We never saw that check they owed us but instead put a credit on our account. When I paid our bill in January it was $193 with a zero balance after the payment cleared. Here I am today wondering how my new bill is over $900. They say this balance is pre-existing from the month of February, the month they credited my account, the month I never received a bill, and the month my meter read almost 800, 000. Thats over 100, 00 more than normal for us. What should I do?

• Ac
    AC107 Feb 24, 2009

File a complaint and request/demand, a dispute hearing pronto! Bring all your old bills that you can find, and all the canceled checks or money orders that you have. Make them PROVE that their reading for such an exaggerated amount is VALID! If you prove your case and you are correct (which most likely you will be) then tell them you want any refunds due you (if you have any coming) to be paid in full by check not credit! It is YOUR money and you don't have to accept a credit. And let them know that you will be checking the meter yourself and writting down what it actually reads every month from now on and that any future "mistakes" will not be tolerated.If they somehow are proven to be correct (doubtful) then set up a payment arrangment.

• Me
    me in texas May 31, 2009

each month my electric bill comes higher and higher and mos of the tme i'm not even at home to us alot of electricity!

cut off power

I've had several problems with this company. First with the billing. They didn't send the bill the first two months or so and their explanation was the person supposed to come and read the meter was not available. Recently, they cut my service saying I didn't pay the last month bill. When I called and said it was paid but I didn't have the transaction number ( I needed to look on my bank account on line) they said I could pay on the phone to have the service reconnected, and you know it will take 24 hours to be reconnected.

The next day I had to call from work and try to get someone to help but nothing happened. My husband called me and asked what did I do because they reconnected the power very soon in the morning. They waited after my husband went out for a moment. He saw the car of the company getting out the building when he was getting back home.

No sorry calls or notes. I switch to another company just now. It's all bout costumer service, people. Also I think is ilegal to come to your house without a notice and cut your power knowing there might be children or sick people that need the power to survive or medical purposes.

when did harrassment become customer service?

There is something that concerns me regarding Direct Energy, their accounting procedures, and their...

substandard work goes unresolved

We live in a house that was built circa 1920 and have been systematically renovating. The first part was a total tear down and rebuild of a kitchen addition completed in early 2004. A year later we began to address other structural and infrastructure issues prior to tackling cosmetic upgrades. We invited Direct Energy to submit a bid for replacing our roof, gutters, and soffits. When the salesman, John Bailey, came to inspect the scope of the project and give us a bid, we told him we were also putting siding on the new addition and replacing siding on the original house. He told us they could provide a quote on that work also. We signed contracts for all of this work to be done. There were specific guidelines requested, such as how the window trim would be done.

The crew that did the roofing seemed professional, but when I was concerned that I didn't see any ice shield. The workers pretended they could not speak English (I had heard the foreman talking to John in English). Anyway, I was assured by John that the job had been done to spec. The shingles seemed to wave along the edge and he said the floor of the roof had some warping. Don't know why that was not addressed initially before the shingles were applied. And the old shingles did not wave along the edge. In addition the shingles began lifting later and he sent someone to address that problem.

Another subcontractor did the siding. The windows were not framed as requested. I complained, and all that was done was John took photos. He did get the contractor to remove soffit material he attempted to complete the job with rather than open another box of the siding material. The siding guys removed the old siding material and did not protect it overnight when they left. A rain/wind storm drove water into the house and was dripping from the light fixtures of the new addition. A late night call did summon them out to tarp the area they had not protected.

We also had contracted with Direct Energy at the same time to have insulation put into the walls and attic. We now thought we have a home that is secure from the elements. WRONG. We have lived in this house over twenty years and now for the first time we have ice dams every winter. This only started happening after the "improvements." We have called every year, and nothing gets resolved. Last year an "expert" was sent to evaluate the problem. He stood on the sidewalk and concluded we needed to purchase additional service of heaters in our gutters to the tune of approximately another $1000. He came to that conclusion by contrasting our house with another nearby similar house that also had ice dams. That house we already know is in desperate need of a new roof and gutters.

This past week the ice dams were worse than ever with huge ice cycles draping down like stalactites. No other house in the neighbourhood had these except for the same house that had been noted before that still needs a new roof and gutters. We also for two years straight have now had water dripping into the house from a window frame when the ice dams form.

We have spent a lot of money with Direct Energy, including a new Trane central air conditioner (the ONLY thing that has not had a problem). I cannot proceed with interior work until these issues are resolved.

• My
    my 2 cents Jan 28, 2010

I have been in home improvement industry for a long time and not saying that they did or did not do a good job but Ice damming is a very difficult thing to fix. It is some thing that you have to do one thing at a time until the problem goes away. The problem with old houses is there isn't enough if any sofit intake which makes the attic warm in the winter and cause a lot of problems. Also a house built in the 20s was not energy efficient and when we start tightening up the house this also creates problems. I don't know this guy or you but usually to fix the ice damming problems in a old house takes a lot of work and money and people don't want to spend the money do do the whole job. Old houses don't have vapour barriers in the walls or attic and more times than not don't have enough wall or attic insulation, and need a lot of air sealing work as well. The use of spray foam in the attic and walls is a great way to solve a lot of problems but is very expensive. Well thats my 2 cent!!!

Have a good day

failure to cancel protection plan

I had my post winter maintenance last may, crack in the heat exchanger.OK, so i bought new furnace from them, heating maintenance was to be removed then and there, oops!! I guess they forgot, called 3 times throughout the year to re- cancel maintenance, but the last time they finally told me i missed the cut off time to cancel.Ya know sometimes i wonder if my old furnace was really screwed or they just needed to make a sale, who knows.Our government really needs to keep an eye on these guys, I have a few more complaints but I am too mad to sit here any longer...just thought i would throw this in, I`m sure there is many many more out there alot worse.YIP theys is crooks, yes they is :)

• Th
    thatwhineyguy Aug 25, 2009

Exact same thing happened to me.

Got the plan and they harrassed me for months to get the annual service check done - they cam in to clean the furnace and shut it down in February!
    Then bought a new furnace and tried to cancel the plan - they didn't cancel it and when I called again they said that I had to wait 6 months cuz "I" missed the window to cancel.
    Also they never made it clear I couldn't cancel at anytime - assuming of course I hadn't had the maintenance done!

I'm done dealing with them - even want to get my Hot Water Heater replaced - that's a huge cash cow for them - I know - I used to deal with them for advertising!

• Al
    Alves A Jan 03, 2012

I also have a complaint regarding the "Heating Protection Plan".

Back in November of 2011 (just about month an a half ago) my old furnace stopped working.

I found out that the issue was most likely the thermocouple, so I called Direct Energy to have it replaced.

I was told that I had 2 options. One option was to enrol in the "Heating Protection Plan" before placing the service call in which case I would be charged a nominal fee regardless of what needed to be fixed (as long as it was below $500.00).

The second option was to just place the service call (without enrolling in the program) in which case I would have to pay for the full cost of the repair.

Because the furnace was over 20 years old, I agreed to enrol in the plan.

However, when the technician showed up and repaired the furnace, he told me that the plan was only good for low cost repairs. He said that if the furnace broke down again and it needed a major part replaced, the technician would most likely recommend that the furnace be replaced due to being over 20 years old and would not repair it.

This meant that being enrolled in the "Heating Protection Plan" in my case didn't benefit me that much.

Because of this and the rebates the Canadian Government is offering at the moment, I decided to have the furnace replaced.

The new furnace is covered by a 10 year parts and labour warranty, so now I don't really need the "Heating Protection Plan".

I called today to cancel the coverage, but to my surprise was told that the plan is a one year contract and if I cancel before the year is over, I will have to pay for the remaining of the year (in my case 11 months).

I explained that I was not told about any contracts (at least I don't recall being told) and because the technician actually charged me as if I was not enrolled in the contract (he told me that I had to call to get the charge corrected) I would like it cancelled without any penalties.

I was told that I should have received a package in the mail explaining the details of the plan (I don't think I got it because I don't remember seeing it) and that I had 10 days to cancel the contract if I didn't want it.

Anyway, I understand that a contract is a contract, but because I was not told about it when I enrolled and because I don't really need the coverage now that I have a new furnace (with 10 years parts and labour warranty) I was hoping that Direct Energy would agree to cancel it without charging a penalty.

But they refused. They said that all they could do was to refund the difference between what I was charged by the technician and the flat fee that I should've been charged under the plan.

However, the difference is only about $13.00. The service plan is costing me $21.99 per month, so the refund is minimal in comparison to the cost of the plan.

I don't think that posting here is going to make any difference, but I just want to make my experience known, so others will be aware of what they are getting into when joining a plan offered by Direct Energy.

Tony

• Mu
    Muhammad R. Dec 16, 2012

$13.99 plus taxes15% ($2.10) = $16.09
    I have Heating Protection Plans with annual maintenance for only $13.99/month.
    I am not sure why Direct Energy is charging me $21.99 per month.
    I cancelled my Plan and restored it on the same day but I have been charged adjustment charges $164.89 regardless I restored it on the same day.
    I talked to Direct Energy billing department to waive off these adjustment charges as I had retored it on the same day and I have confirmation number for both cancellation and restoration but the rep on a phone was reluctanct to waive off these charges.
    I requested for a call back to discuss it with the customer service depatment and now I am waiting for a call back in thiis regard. I am not sure why penalized if I have restored the same plan on the same day. Is there any one who can tell me what is the existing rule? Thanks

• Mu
    Muhammad R. Dec 16, 2012

$13.99 plus taxes15% ($2.10) = $16.09
    I have Heating Protection Plans with annual maintenance for only $13.99/month.
    I am not sure why Direct Energy is charging me $21.99 per month from the last two months.
    I requested for a call back to discuss it with the customer service depatment and now I am waiting for a call back in thiis regard. I am not sure why got penalized if I have restored the same plan on the same day.
    Is there someone who can help me what is the existing rule about restoration of the plan on a same day of cancellation and to waive off the adjustment charges? Thanks

devil service

I live in the suburbs of Dallas, TX and Direct energy (after many attempts to resolved my billing issue...