Direct Energy Services Logo

Direct Energy Services

Having problems with Direct Energy Services?

Direct Energy Services reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 11, 2006. The latest review Billing Issue with overcharging was posted on Jun 7, 2021. The latest complaint door to door salesman was resolved on Nov 13, 2014. Direct Energy Services has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 128 reviews. Direct Energy Services has resolved 61 complaints.

Direct Energy Services Customer Service Contacts

+1 855 461 1926 (Customer Service)
+1 866 348 4193 (Sign Up for Energy, Small Business)
+1 888 925 9115 (Sign Up for Energy, Large Business)
+1 888 548 7540 (Energy Customers, For Your Home)
+1 732 750 6464 (Small & Large Business, Natural Gas Triggers)
+1 713 877 3500 (Head Office)
+1 855 334 3577 (Home Services)
+1 800 830 5923 (Business Energy)
+1 800 437 7265 (Direct Energy Business)
12 Greenway Plaza, Suite 600

Direct Energy Business
1 Hess Plaza, Woodbridge, NJ 07095

Support for Energy Customers
Direct Energy, PMB № 51, 7385 North State Route 3, Westerville, OH 43082

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Direct Energy Services Customer Service. Initial Direct Energy Services complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Direct Energy Services above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Direct Energy Services. Discuss the issues you have had with Direct Energy Services and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Direct Energy Services Complaints & Reviews, Page 7

Direct Energy — fraud and cheating!

It was one of those 'bad luck' situations when the weather was -20 and my furnace was out for lunch...

Direct Energy — deposit

I signed up for energy from Direct Energy when we first moved into our new house and because it was our first...

Direct Energybilling nightmare

At the time we purchased the house in June 2006, it had a rental water heater and a rental furnace both rented from Direct Energy. Recently I had a home energy audit which resulted in us purchasing a new high efficiency furnace, new thankless water heater and A/C from a company called Enwise Power Solutions.

Prior to the purchase and installation of the new equipment I called Direct Energy to ask about the return of the rental equipment. I was told that I could return both the furnace and the water heater at any time and the charges would be removed from my bill. I called Direct Energy again, closer to the date of the installation to ask about where to return the water tank and the furnace and they gave me an address in Etobicoke, Ontario. On the day of the installation I called again to confirm where to return the equipment and was given the same address. They told me to hang on to the receipts and fax them to Enbridge to get the charges removed from my bill.

The installers returned the equipment and got a receipt for the heater but not the furnace because they were told by the Direct Energy people there that they (Direct Energy) stopped renting furnaces a while ago so they don’t have a process for returning them however, they did take the furnace anyway (but we didn’t get a receipt).

So today I called Direct Energy to follow up and find out how to get the two rental charges off my bill and to my surprise they are telling me that I have to pay the full cost of the rental furnace because the old owners had a contract that I inherited through the purchase of the home which says that I have to rent it for 15 years!!!!!!

They are telling me that the contract for the rental would have been included in the documents for the purchase of the home and that my lawyer would have told me all about it and would have ensured that I was aware of the contract. I am 100% sure that I did not have any such conversation with my laywer about an obligation to pay for this furnace for 15 years (I don’t even know when this 15 years would have started) and I know that he would have told me if he was aware. I don’t have a copy of the contract and I have NO INTENTION of paying for a furnace that I no longer have in my home when I was told from the beginning that I could return it.

I am extremely frustrated and worried that it's going to take an enormous effort to rectify this situation. The buy out price is over $2000 and I don't even have the furnace anymore. I told the Direct Energy Rep (who says he's a manager but sounded like a goofy teenager) that I never signed a contract and have never seen a contract and he just kept saying there is nothing he can do and that I will have to pay. They lied to me several times, don't EVER deal with these scammers!!!!!

• El
      Ellen Meyer Jun 23, 2015

We had a rental furnace installed in March 1997, through Consumers Gas, now Direct Energy. I desperately need to know if I'm entitled to some sort of rebate, as I've been paying a monthly charge long past the 15 year term. My calls to Direct Energy have been fruitless; they claim that they're entitled to keep billing me forever, and now I find myself possibly needing a new furnace. If you could advise me, I'd be most grateful.
      Richmond Hill, ON

• Ri
      Rimvydzis Nov 18, 2010

Hello,

I having with Direct Energy and Enbridge already 4 months problems. At the beginning I saw that on my bill came $200 extra to pay for water tank rental ( which has to be only $14.49) So I called them, they said it's mistake sorry about that, we will fix. Second month same think plus double charge for rental instead of : $14.49 now $28.98. Called again, again said sorry its mistake. Third month they removed $200, and put another $203.58. Called again, same thing, you have in a system mistake, we will fix. Fourth month came back $203.58 plus double charge of water tank: $28.98. I called them, they said we understand we will fix in 1 or 2 bills. So how long that game has to be played???? What to do with these people? Trying to get lawyer for small claim courts. Any other thoughts?
      Aurora, ON

• Al
      Alan of Toronto Jul 28, 2009

Direct Energy does not know the meaning of customer service or what the word care means. My naive wife just started renting a water heater from them. The first installation had a leak. The second service technicians came and fixed the first problem but gave me two more problems near the water heater. They gave me two leaks - one on the elbow of the 1/2" copper pipe and the other at the shut off valve. The third one says we have to pay for their mistakes. What a concept eh? Don't waste your time with these incompetent people. Your plumber can probably do a better job the first time. In fact, I just replaced the shut off valve myself without a drip. I can't wait until they kick the bucket.

Do not wish to be a Direct Energy client whatsoever!!!

Direct Energyunexplained bills

I received a whooping bill for a house that was vacant, and direct energy could not explain why the bill was so high. I had direct energy for a couple of months at my new address that we moved to, and the bill was an enormous amount as well. I have disputed this bill, and I will contact other commissions to complain about this ripoff company.

• To
        tonydaletony May 13, 2011

Things to remember: Even a vacant house can draw electricity unless you have all cicuit breakers turned off. check the meter with all breakers off to see if it is still running there may be a larger problem. Are there any starting fees like new meter installation, connection or deposit fees charged on this bill that could cause it to be so high. Simply blaming a company for billing without checking for other causes does nothing to help you or them. DE bills based off usage that comes to them from Centerpoint, Oncor, Texas New Mexico Power or American Electric Power depending on what part of Texas you are in, so ultimately those companies would be responsible for any usage misreads that were billed. DE will do their best to correct problems but can not force readings to be different from what is reported to them.

• Sl
        S L Hudson Aug 13, 2009

I am in the same boat now and agree 200 percent!

• Lo
        lorna ward Dec 07, 2007

I agree with you 110 percent32.

Direct Energy — multiple, repeat telemarketing

Despite responding politely to the first three calls from Direct Energy's telemarketer's that I wa...

Direct Energy — negative option contract renewal!

In 2001 I signed a five year natural gas contract with Direct Energy. The contract was due to expire in...

Direct Energynot happy with this retailer!

In the summer of 2006 my husband and I made the mistake of signing up with Direct Energy for gas and hydro. Before we signed up with them we would receive our bills every month from Niagara-on-the-Lake hydro and they were always on time. We have not received a bill in 3 months and are not happy about it at all. I called them and they said that there processing times don't match up with Niagara-on-the-Lakes billing date. The girl on the phone said that we will be getting our bills every 3 or 4 months because of this. That is not good enough. We are a young family and have a 3 month old and a 2 year old. It is important for us to get bills every month. I will never sign up with a retailer again.

Direct Energydon't trust the service technician!

Our furnace stopped working during the night, and it was getting close to 11 degrees Celsius in our house - it was cold and it was getting colder; it was below freezing outside (we are North of Toronto)

So we called Direct Energy who charged us C$135 for placing a service call; we had no problems with that.

The Direct Energy service technician looked at the furnace, and said we need a new gas valve and something else, but recommended a new furnace, because ours was in rough shape. The cost of the parts would of been c$500 and a new furnace c$2700 and up.

3 weeks before Christmas, it was cold and we have two young kids.

My wife and I were contemplating what to do, when a friend called, and we explained our dilemma; she happened to know someone who worked on furnaces - we contacted him for a second opinion, he came over, and replaced the Thermo-couple within 5 minutes; total cost C$13.

He said it was very obvious what was wrong, and we appeared to have been scammed.

Why would Direct Energy - a huge company - to that to us????? Was the Direct Energy service technician that incompetent?

Be warned - we were desperate, our two little boys were very cold, and we were very concerned about our house, we were about to buy a new furnace. By the way, our furnace and although 20 years old is still in reasonable working order and doesn’t need replacing.

• 12
            123Cheng123 Sep 02, 2010

Don't trust the Service Technician!
            Our wall oven stopped working in May 2010. So we called Direct Energy who charged us C$90 for placing a service call; we had no problems with that.
            The Direct Energy service technician looked at the oven and said we needed a new timer but he told us that we would not be able to get it anywhere. So he told us to buy a new oven.
            We took his word and bought a new oven from Sears.
            Then we hired an electrician to install the new oven and the electrician found out that there was nothing wrong with the old oven, but the fuss for the oven was broken.
            So he replaced the fuss and we are still using the old oven.
            When we returned the new oven back to Sears, Sears charged us 20% of new oven for restocking fee which cost us $160.
            When we sent a request to Direct Energy for reimbursing the restocking fee of $160, Direct Energy refused to do so.

If the Direct Energy service technician did not misdiagnose the problem in the first place and did not tell us to buy a new oven, then we would not have bought the new oven and it would have saved us all this trouble.

Was the Direct Energy service technician that incompetent that he could not figure out that it was a fuss problem?

We are very disappointed with the service provided by Direct Energy
            and Direct Energy.

Joe Apr 03, 2008

Direct Energy called my place yesterday. I answered the phone and was polite and let them say their 2 cents even though I hate telemarketers. When I asked for details the ### had to get a supervisor who then tried to haggle my account # for my Hydro account. I said NO WAY...but she insisted on trying to which I had to hang up the phone. They're so ignorant. LMAO

Andrew Nov 07, 2007

Did the friend who replaced your thermocouple check the gas valve to make sure the regulator was delivering the proper amount of fuel to the furnace? Also check the drop out time on the pilot solenoid of the gas valve? These are important safety checks a qualified and trained technician would preform on your furnace if he was diagnosing a gas valve problem. The gas valve may work, but more importantly, is it working safely and properly. If a furnace component isn't functioning properly it can easily become a major safety hazard and you wouldn't even know it. You may have got some good advice from the direct energy service technician, but because of your ignorance about fuel burning appliances you may be jumping to conclusions.