Direct Energy Services Logo

Direct Energy Services

Having problems with Direct Energy Services?

+1 855 461 1926 (Customer Service)
+1 866 348 4193 (Sign Up for Energy, Small Business)
+1 888 925 9115 (Sign Up for Energy, Large Business)
+1 888 548 7540 (Energy Customers, For Your Home)
+1 732 750 6464 (Small & Large Business, Natural Gas Triggers)
+1 713 877 3500 (Head Office)
+1 855 334 3577 (Home Services)
+1 800 830 5923 (Business Energy)
+1 800 437 7265 (Direct Energy Business)
12 Greenway Plaza, Suite 600

Support for Energy Customers
Direct Energy, PMB № 51, 7385 North State Route 3, Westerville, OH 43082

Complaints & Reviews

Resolved unexplained bills

I received a whooping bill for a house that was vacant, and direct energy could not explain why the bill was so high. I had direct energy for a couple of months at my new address that we moved to, and the bill was an enormous amount as well. I have disputed this bill, and I will contact other commissions to complain about this ripoff company.

• Lo
    lorna ward Dec 07, 2007

I agree with you 110 percent32.

• Sl
    S L Hudson Aug 13, 2009

I am in the same boat now and agree 200 percent!

• To
    tonydaletony May 13, 2011

Things to remember: Even a vacant house can draw electricity unless you have all cicuit breakers turned off. check the meter with all breakers off to see if it is still running there may be a larger problem. Are there any starting fees like new meter installation, connection or deposit fees charged on this bill that could cause it to be so high. Simply blaming a company for billing without checking for other causes does nothing to help you or them. DE bills based off usage that comes to them from Centerpoint, Oncor, Texas New Mexico Power or American Electric Power depending on what part of Texas you are in, so ultimately those companies would be responsible for any usage misreads that were billed. DE will do their best to correct problems but can not force readings to be different from what is reported to them.

multiple, repeat telemarketing

Despite responding politely to the first three calls from Direct Energy's telemarketer's that I was already in an energy plan and was not interested in dealing with their company, they have phoned another half dozen times and (apparently!) will not remove my number from their call list.

• La
    Landy Apr 14, 2008

Direct Energy sends out telemarketers who come to you doors claiming that they're part of Enbridge and that there are updates that must be done, and in order to do that you must show them your bills so it could take effect on your next bill. If they're really part of Enbridge, would they not already have all your biling information on their system? This is serious fraud and there is no customer protection unfortunately. So we as customer really have to be cautious about our privacy information.

• Wa
    WalkingWorried Jul 16, 2008

A few minutes ago someone came to my house telling me that I could get a free water heater upgrade. All I had to do was go downstairs and get the model number (serial number) for her. I was so irritated I did not confirm that she worked for Direct Energy but I would be prepared to bet a sizable amount of money on it (and I don't gamble.) This seems to be a variation of their other scam that they want to make sure I get some discount or another.

negative option contract renewal!

In 2001 I signed a five year natural gas contract with Direct Energy. The contract was due to expire in...

not happy with this retailer!

In the summer of 2006 my husband and I made the mistake of signing up with Direct Energy for gas and hydro. Before we signed up with them we would receive our bills every month from Niagara-on-the-Lake hydro and they were always on time. We have not received a bill in 3 months and are not happy about it at all. I called them and they said that there processing times don't match up with Niagara-on-the-Lakes billing date. The girl on the phone said that we will be getting our bills every 3 or 4 months because of this. That is not good enough. We are a young family and have a 3 month old and a 2 year old. It is important for us to get bills every month. I will never sign up with a retailer again.

don't trust the service technician!

Our furnace stopped working during the night, and it was getting close to 11 degrees Celsius in our house - it was cold and it was getting colder; it was below freezing outside (we are North of Toronto)

So we called Direct Energy who charged us C$135 for placing a service call; we had no problems with that.

The Direct Energy service technician looked at the furnace, and said we need a new gas valve and something else, but recommended a new furnace, because ours was in rough shape. The cost of the parts would of been c$500 and a new furnace c$2700 and up.

3 weeks before Christmas, it was cold and we have two young kids.

My wife and I were contemplating what to do, when a friend called, and we explained our dilemma; she happened to know someone who worked on furnaces - we contacted him for a second opinion, he came over, and replaced the Thermo-couple within 5 minutes; total cost C$13.

He said it was very obvious what was wrong, and we appeared to have been scammed.

Why would Direct Energy - a huge company - to that to us????? Was the Direct Energy service technician that incompetent?

Be warned - we were desperate, our two little boys were very cold, and we were very concerned about our house, we were about to buy a new furnace. By the way, our furnace and although 20 years old is still in reasonable working order and doesn’t need replacing.

Andrew Nov 07, 2007

Did the friend who replaced your thermocouple check the gas valve to make sure the regulator was delivering the proper amount of fuel to the furnace? Also check the drop out time on the pilot solenoid of the gas valve? These are important safety checks a qualified and trained technician would preform on your furnace if he was diagnosing a gas valve problem. The gas valve may work, but more importantly, is it working safely and properly. If a furnace component isn't functioning properly it can easily become a major safety hazard and you wouldn't even know it. You may have got some good advice from the direct energy service technician, but because of your ignorance about fuel burning appliances you may be jumping to conclusions.

Joe Apr 03, 2008

Direct Energy called my place yesterday. I answered the phone and was polite and let them say their 2 cents even though I hate telemarketers. When I asked for details the ### had to get a supervisor who then tried to haggle my account # for my Hydro account. I said NO WAY...but she insisted on trying to which I had to hang up the phone. They're so ignorant. LMAO

• 12
    123Cheng123 Sep 02, 2010

Don't trust the Service Technician!
    Our wall oven stopped working in May 2010. So we called Direct Energy who charged us C$90 for placing a service call; we had no problems with that.
    The Direct Energy service technician looked at the oven and said we needed a new timer but he told us that we would not be able to get it anywhere. So he told us to buy a new oven.
    We took his word and bought a new oven from Sears.
    Then we hired an electrician to install the new oven and the electrician found out that there was nothing wrong with the old oven, but the fuss for the oven was broken.
    So he replaced the fuss and we are still using the old oven.
    When we returned the new oven back to Sears, Sears charged us 20% of new oven for restocking fee which cost us $160.
    When we sent a request to Direct Energy for reimbursing the restocking fee of $160, Direct Energy refused to do so.

If the Direct Energy service technician did not misdiagnose the problem in the first place and did not tell us to buy a new oven, then we would not have bought the new oven and it would have saved us all this trouble.

Was the Direct Energy service technician that incompetent that he could not figure out that it was a fuss problem?

We are very disappointed with the service provided by Direct Energy
    and Direct Energy.