Having problems with Delta Air Lines?

Delta Air Lines Customer Service Contacts

1800 144 917 (Australia)
8800 700 0990 (Russia)
1800 266 0046 (Mexico)
+1 888 750 3284 (USA and Canada)
+44 207 660 0767 (United Kingdom)
+353 16 590 298 (Ireland)
+64 99 772 232 (New Zealand)
+ 32 26 200 183 (Belgium)
+45 82 332 721 (Denmark)
+31 207 219 128 (Netherlands)
+351 213 180 062 (Portugal)
+41 848 000 872 (Switzerland)
+852 800 965 716 (Hong Kong)
+60 322 824 648 (Malaysia)
+63 28 418 800 (Philippines)
+966 114 613 688 (Saudi Arabia)
+65 63 363 371 (Singapore)
+27 114 088 200 (South Africa)
+82 798 651 7538 (South Korea)
+94 112 680 398 (Sri Lanka)
+66 22 535 169 (Thailand)
+84 435 627 330 (Vietnam)
+54 800 666 0133 (Argentina)
Dept. 980, PO Box 20980

Amsterdamseweg 55, 1182 GP Amstelveen, The Netherlands

Singapore & Asian Countries
Singapore Post Centre, P O Box 1088, Singapore 914037

India
Podar House 10, Ground Floor, Marine Drive, Sitaram D Marg, Churchgate, Mumbai  400 020, India

Phillippines
9/F, Athenaeum Building, 160 LP. Leviste Street, Salcedo Village, Makati City, 1227 Philippines

Thailand
4th floor, The Peninsula Plaza, 153 Rajadamri Road, Bangkok 10330

Brazil
Caixa Postal 226, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, CEP.: 20010-974, Brazil

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Delta Air Lines Customer Service. Initial Delta Air Lines complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Delta Air Lines above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Delta Air Lines. Discuss the issues you have had with Delta Air Lines and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Delta Air Lines Complaints & Reviews

Delta Airlinesrude, out of line service

My complaint is against the attendant at the RSW (Fort Myers, Fl) gate C4, FL#2587 5B&C, 3:40PM Departure, on June 30, 2010. My husband and I were sitting in the gate area, waiting to board on our flight home. The attendant, a medium-light haired, stocky woman, (who, I might add, was very much ungroomed, messy hair, clothes not crisp looking) was very rude to myself and husband. My husband, is handicapped, needed wheelchair assistance, which was noted on our ticket, and had to request several times for assistance. My husband had tremors very bad that day, and could not even hold his boarding pass. This attendant, approached us several times, (basically, harrassed us!), kept looking at our carry-on luggage, came up to us and rudely stated that our bags and one piece of luggage was not acceptable. I had told her, that we travel many times with this same luggage and bags, and have no problems with it. She then, came back over to us, picked up my carry on luggage, took it to the area, to check to see if it would fit. After all of that, it did fit! Then, she proceded to advise us, that our other carry on totes "had better fit"! Not only, did she embarrass us in front of a full flight of people waiting to board also, she then, in front of EVERYONE, advised me, "that she had better not catch me carrying on more than two bags!" I had advised her, that I always have to carry my husbands carry-ons, as well as, mine. She then replied again, " I had better not catch you carrying on more than two bags!" I had advised her that I again, needed the wheelchair assistance, and needed the help. Finally, she did get the wheelchair and assist us down the ramp to the plane! When approached by the flight attendants, was greeted and assisted by them in a very pleasurable manner. (Our flight was THEN, very enjoyable)! We fly delta very often, and prefer this airlines, over any other, and we do not appreciate this type of behavior. After all, this was not a free flight!!) This young lady, should be retrained, and shown how to treat disabled customers! A little lesson in grooming, would very much help with YOUR name! I look forward to a response to this complaint.

• Fl
      flight 2587, June 30, 2010 Jul 15, 2010

We are not happy with Delta service in Fort Myers, Fl, by this particular attendant, and will expect to hear from this airlines, resulting with this type of service.

Delta Airlines — bad customer service

If you can use other airlines, do it. Complaint 1: I was flying to a foreign country with Delta and it...

Delta Airlinesmissed flight

I am writing to you because of a very bad experience my son and I just endured because of negligence on your company's inability to help us out.

We flew out of Elmira NY on Flight 3867 on June 3rd. The flight was supposed to leave Elmira NY at 5:18 p.m.est. When we arrived to the airport we noticed on the board that the flight was going to be late and not departing until 5:55 p.m. We asked the people at YOUR DELTA desk if we would make the connecting flight. Originally the flight was to leave at 5:18 which gave us 45 min or so at Detroit to catch our main flight to LAX which was due to leave at 7:20.

Here is where it all went wrong, the clerk at the desk told us that he guaranteed us that we would make the main flight. We asked 3 times and everytime we were told we would have no trouble.The flight 3867 was due to leave they told us at 5:40 instead of 5:55 plenty of time to make the next flight they told us.

Well our flught 3867 did not leave the ground until 6:02 p.m. est.from Elmira, N.Y. We missed our main flight by 5 minutes. Several people on this flight missed their flights also because of this. We ran to the gate from the connecting flight to our main flight I am over 50 years old and just had a major operation, and my son is just 10. We ran as fast as we could and still missedthe flight. We had to wait in a very long line to try to get help.

We finally were able to get to the help desk and to our dismay the only other flight to lAX was just leaving. Again we just missed another flight. By the time we got everything figured out we were at the airport for over 3 hours. We were put up in a Hotel which was not that great and gave food vouchers for 24 dollars which was to cover dinner and breakfast. I am sure that two people can eat at a hotel two times for 24 dollars!!! try it sometime maybe you could get toast and a glass of water!!! Also we did not have any hygene things as we were going to get that kind of thing when we arrived at LAX. No toothbrushes or toothpaste and hotel shampoo and soap...

By the time we got to the hotel we were both exhausted and very hungry it was by this time almost 11:30 great time for dinner for a 10 year old!!!

We were booked on a flight the next day which wwe had to get up at 4 am to get ready to be there on time. That flight took us to Miniapolis which we then had to change planes for our flight to lAX.

I had very little time to spend with my kids and Dad in California as it was and thanks to your great airline I was robbed almost a day and a half. Not only did it cause us grief but the people who took time off work to pick us up at the original time. Not to mention my son was a total crank all day Friday because he was so tired...thanks

When we did come back when we landed in Detroit we were waiting at the gate that we were supposed to be at. I noticed that our flight was not on the tv screen anywhere. I asked a person at the desk where is our flight and they told us that the gate had changed it was 1/4 MILE AWAY and there was not one announcement made. Thanks for the extra walk like I didnt have enough confusion on this whole trip. At that time we only had 20 minutes to get to the new gate. Not much time almost missed that flight as well. Thanks again.

This could have all been avoided if when we asked at Elmira if we were going to make that flight they could have booked us on the later flight at Detroit to LAX and with little inconvience we would have still made LAX just a couple hours later than originally planned.

We spoke with the supervisor at Elmira when we returned and she said she would address the people at fault. She agreed that we should have been booked on the later flight.

My husband spoke that evening that this all happened June 3 to the desk at Elmira. The gentleman he spoke with was the person who was responsible to prep the plane for takeoff. He said that it was documented that the plane was indeed rready at 5:35 or so. He said the pilot was the one to blame as he took his time in entering the plane to ***. My husband sat at the end of the runway and documented that the plane indeed took off at 6:03 p.m.

Someone owes us something, I know that you get thousands of these kind of letters but something must be done. Noone else would do anything at the time and we were told to write this letter to you at this site.

My son was terrified and I was visibly upset. We are from a small town and do not travel much. We saved a long time to take this trip and 20 minutes into it everything went wrong. I hold the Elmira NY office responsible and the Supewrvisor agreed with us but she said she could do nothing but have me write here. I cannot express enough how much this trip meant to me visiting my children who I have not seen in a few years along with my DAD who is over 80.

• El
        Eli31. Jun 29, 2010

Shut up myway, shut up blackirish That is not the kind of reply I was hoping for. I don't know what planet you idiots live on but $24 would not buy a decent meal, if they really cared about making us feel good they would have us $100 vouchers. You two obviously work for Delta. I have not seen my older children in ten years because I got divorced and told them to lie to their teachers and tell them that their father was molesting them. I told them to lie to CPS and the police. I don't know how they found out that I was coaxing them to lie but I was. Anyways I have not seen my children or parents for eight years. Instead of returning my children to me they after my ex died they put them in care of my parents. All because of one mistake. That mistake was marrying a loser. Then some idiot at wal-mart reported me to the police because i was getting my nine year old at that time who is 11 now to shoplift. That is why they were taken from me blackirish. They thought and still think I am a bad influence on girls.

Delta Airlinesabsurd customer service

My wife has been stranded for most of the day on 6/17/10 in Atlanta as a result of horrible customer service, screaming incompetence and absolute indifference from Delta's personnel, that start at the very top, the CEO level and goes all the way down the company.

Her day started at LAX, she was supposed to fly to Moscow, Russia, via Atlanta, reservation #OVLFRO, although her flight from LAX to Atlanta (#16) was delayed for over an hour, however, the customer service representative at the gate told her that, according to Delta's standard procedure, if there are more than 10 people on a delayed flight connecting to another flight (in this case flight 46 Atlanta to Moscow), connecting plane would be held at the gate to wait for such large group. THERE WERE 28 (TWENTY EIGHT) PASSENGERS on flight 16 connecting to flight 46 to Moscow! And nobody from LAX told Atlanta anything about them!!!

The flight came one hour late to Atlanta, and waited another hour for a gate availability, however, by the time the passengers got off the plane, they were told that their flight to Moscow already left, and didn't even wait for them for even an extra minute. And yes, NOBODY FROM LAX RELAYED THE INFORMATION ABOUT A GROUP OF 28 PEOPLE TO THE GATE IN ATLANTA!!! When TWENTY EIGHT Delta Customers ran to the gate, this was the FIRST TIME Delta representatives in Atlanta even knew that a group of 28 delayed passengers were supposed to be on that plane!! Who is the ### at LAX who failed to follow Delta's OWN STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES about notification to the next flight about a large delayed group? I'm sure it's some Union member who screwed up the day for 28 HUMAN BEINGS, cost the company between $40K to 80K in rebooking charges, and can't be even fired!

My wife was then re-booked on Delta flight #68 through Copenhagen, she was even given a boarding pass and her seat was confirmed. Right before going to the gate, she volunteered to help Delta representative with a passenger who spoke only Russian and didn't speak English and needed re-booking for the same flight. When she finally got to the gate (45 minutes prior to departure, they just announced boarding business class), turns out that Delta agent booked the same seat to my wife and then to the person she just helped translating for, all within 10 minutes! HOW RIDICULOUS IS THIS????

So, my wife was kicked off the plane again! Back to rebooking "customer care center", the blond idiot witch who booked the same seat twice in the span of 10 minutes pretty much told her "oops" but with this challenging arrogant attitude, and said nothing she could (or would) do; a supervisor Eric, badge # [protected], told her pretty much that he's not even going to help with anything and than just ignored her, even though my wife kept calling him directly and asking him to help. He just pretended demonstratively that she didn't exist, and then just left. A supervisor by name of Russ in Seattle at Delta's Reservation system, told me on the phone that he "thinks that she was just late for boarding", which he assumed from the conversation after I told him that my wife helped Delta's international customer with re-booking, after which he in very RUDE manner told me that there was nothing he could do and that she had to resolve it at the gate.

Over an hour into the flight, while my wife was sitting in front of Delta's counter on a wait list for 9:35 p.m. flight Delta's computer system still showed my wife already travelling to Denmark on Delta flight, on which she was not allowed to board, so Delta's computer system does not even conform with basic safety requirements of the US because you don't even have a correct list of passengers on the plane! I've emailed Delta corporate office at least 10 times, no response! I called every single phone number on Delta's website, no response whatsoever!

I've flown over 250, 000 miles on Delta and I don't want to fly another mile on this "airline of horror"! I've lived in the Soviet Union for 26 years before immigrating to the US, I can't remember the same horrible indifference to customers from Aeroflot or any other Soviet airlines, I could always find somebody who actually cared! Not at "Soviet Delta". Even my travel agent gave up after staying on the phone with Delta for THREE HOURS, trying to help the situation. What a twisted surreal idea of "customer care"!!

• Mi
          Mimriki Jan 27, 2011

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I think the Delta workers in Atlanta are unbelievable and they use the fact that they are the major airline there as an excuse to bully people. I always thought that they board everyone available with tickets first and wait until after the flight is scheduled to leave to pick up anyone trying to jump or re-book on the flight. No Delta as far as I know in Atlanta will allow someone to jump on a flight and kick someone else off reguardless of how early the ticket holder gets there.

Deltaabsurd customer &service&, outrageous personnel incompetence

My wife, is now stranded in Atlanta as a result of horrible customer service from Delta.

Her day started in LAX, she was suppoed to fly to Moscow, Russia via Atlanta, Reservation # OVLFRO. Her flight from LAX to Atlanta (#16) was delayed for over an hour, however, the customer service representative at the gate told her that, according to Delta’s standard procedure, if there are more than 10 people on that flight connecting to another flight (in this case flight 46 Atlanta to Moscow), connecting plane would be delayed to wait for such large group. THERE WERE 28 (TWENTY EIGHT) PASSANGERS on flight 16 connecting to flight 46 to Moscow! And nobody from LAX told Atlanta anything about them!!!

The flight came one hour late to Atlanta, and waited another hour for a gate availability, however, by the time the passengers got off the plane, they were told that their flight to Moscow already left, and didn’t even wait for them for an extra minute. And yes, NOBODY FROM LAX RELAYED THE INFORMATION ABOUT A GROUP OF 28 PEOPLE TO THE GATE IN ATLANTA!!! When TWENTY EIGHT Delta Customers ran to the gate, this was the FIRST TIME Delta’s representatives in Atlanta even knew that a group of 28 delayed passengers were supposed to be on that plane!! Who is the ### at LAX who failed to follow Delta's OWN STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES about notification to the next flight about a large delayed group?

My wife was then re-booked on Delta flight #68 through Copenhagen, she was given even a boarding pass and her seat was confirmed. Right before going to the gate, she volunteered to help Delta representative with a passenger who spoke only Russian and didn’t speak English and needed re-booking for the same flight. When she finally got to the gate (45 minutes prior to departure, they just announced boarding business class), turns out that Delta agent booked the same seat to my wife and then to the person she just helped translating for! HOW RIDICULOUS IS THIS????

So, my wife was kicked off the plane again! She’s sitting at the airport in Atlanta, the lady who booked the same seat twice in the span of 15 minutes pretty much told her "oops" and nothing she can do, the supervisor Eric, badge # [protected], told her pretty much that he's not even going to help with anything, and just left. Delta’s level of incompetence and indifference to customers is beyond imagination!!! Delta supervisor Eric in Atlanta, badge . A supervisor by name of Russ in Seattle at Delta's Reservation system, told me on the phone that he "thinks that she was just late for boarding", which he assumed from the conversation after I told him that my wife helped Delta's international customer with re-booking, after which he in very RUDE manner told me that there is nothing he can do and that she has to resolve it at the gate. I've emailed Delta corporate office at least 10 times, no response! I called every single phone number on Delta's website, no response whatsaever, it's like they hire the STUPIDEST people on the planet to work the customer service at this airline!

I've lived in the Soviet Union for 26 years before immigrating to the US, I can't remember the same horrible indifference to customers from Airflot or any other Soviet airlines, I could always find sombody who actually cared! Not at "Soviet Delta".

• Li
            Linden Bauleke Jun 03, 2016

I was invoiced for two bags @ $23 when there was only one bag.
            The lady at the hotel in Orlando did this online for us .

Confirmation # HI69WY
            ticket #[protected] and #[protected]

Linden Bauleke #[protected]
            Anntoinette Bauleke #[protected]
            [protected]
            Please issue a $23 TO MY VISA account. Thank you.

• Kb
            kblonquist Jun 03, 2016

I tried to purchase a tickets through delta airlines using my american express skymiles card. It said that the card was denied. After checking into it American express told me that Delta had charged my card . After calling Delta, I found out that no reservation existed. I went through HELL getting a refund. Very poor service!!!

John Martin Jun 03, 2016

I was flying from Fort Lauderdale to Newark on Delta on an early morning flight. When we arrived, my bags were not at baggage claim. I waited for 2 hours for someone from Delta to take my details to search for my lost luggage. They never contacted me again.

Beware!

• Em
            Emily J Pearce Jun 03, 2016

The unaccompanied minor rule is stupid, especially for a 14 year old. My husband had to wait with his son for 1 1/2, because of your stupid rule. This is a 14 year old, turning 15 in a matter of days. Why oh why did my husband have to waste his time sitting in an airport, with a person who can take care of himself. If I have any say we are never using Delta again, EVER.

• Cr
            CrystalMM Jun 03, 2016

So I had a layover in Detroit, the way things went they let us of the arriving flight late which meant I stood a good chance of missing my connecting flight. In the haste, I forgot to grab my eyeglasses, they were in the case in the seat pouch. I damn near killed myself getting to the next gate, just is time for boarding... which was not taking place. I walk over to the store by the gate to get a water and then went to get my glasses back out since I wasn't gonna wear them while running through that crazy huge airport. I realized they were still in the seat pouch and told the personal... who looked bored by me and said I had to wait til I got to my final destination and file a claim. Meanwhile the flight I was waiting for was delayed, though they said I couldn't leave the gate. The previous plane had not left. So there was more then enough time for someone to get the glasses cause since I was told I wasn't allowed to do anything, I was just sitting on the floor in tears over it, which apparently they were okay with, they think that's great customer service or something.

Since then, that was 5 days ago, I've gone back and forth with various Delta people, who keep telling me the flight would have been cleaned and then cataloged for the lost items found. So there is no reason in the world why my glasses haven't been returned at this point. Just rotten nasty people they are at Delta. And then I'm saying I can't see straight and they wanna offer me more miles, well that's great, still can't see though. So really, stop being lazy and just go look in the damn seat pocket.

MaryKatherine Jun 03, 2016

My two nephews, age 15 and 11, were flying from Cedar Rapids, IA to Hartford Ct through Cincinnati to visit their aunt (my sister). It was their second year flying Delta on this trip as unaccompanied minors. My family flies Delta exclusively many, many times a year. My sister booked their flight online and somehow a mistake was made and the tickets went through with the kids listed as adults, not unaccompanied minors. When my brother in law went to drop them off and they realized they were minors he had to pay $200-- fine, except that the unaccompanied minor flights on all the other airlines were way cheaper. So, my sister called Delta and received horrible customer service. My sister is attorney-- not someone to mess with. So, she reported them to the BBB and wrote a letter to the company. Whatever, we moved on. Well, after a week vacation my sister took the boys to the Hartford airport for their return home and was informed that they couldn't fly because the flight from Cincinnati to Cedar Rapids was the last of the day and unaccompanied minors are not allowed on the last flight of the day. Well, why didn't anyone notice that at the airport in CR? This WAS Delta's fault, unlike the online ticketing which they managed to blame completely on my sister. Well, my sister in Hartford (the boy's aunt) was able to talk the boys onto the flight by switching the older one to adult status and promising that I would be there to get the younger one (I happen to live in Cincinnati). So, I had to drive 45 minutes to the airport and go to the counter and beg my younger nephew's way on the flight. I spoke to a VERY nice young lady and her manager who were able to fix the problem, but not without 1 hour of me waiting, not knowing what would happen. The boy's mother was LIVID, she was considering pressing charges against Delta for custodial interference, which I mentioned at the counter. Well, they finally told me I could go down, meet the boy's incoming flight, then wait with them for their flight to Cedar Rapids. Of course the flight was delayed due to weather problems in Atlanta and the boys and I ended up sitting in the Cincinnati airport for 4 hours, which was ok because I got to hang out with them. However, the problem wasn't over-- I spoke to the agent at the counter where they got off the plane and explained to her that my younger nephew would be going on, and I wanted to make sure his luggage would, too. She said it would. I then told them they needed to make sure their dad was listed as receiving them in Iowa, because with all the changes I was worried that got changed, too. I then repeated this to ANOTHER agent at the next counter. Well, the boys did get to Iowa, eventually, but of course the luggage didn't, and my brother in law wasn't listed to pick them up (yet they let him-- nice, what if there was a custody issue or something? $200 for what? They "watched" an 11 year old on the plane-- I watched him in cincinnati, I put him on the plane). In the end, the boy's luggage made it. However, the amount of money we are out for gas, parking, food, etc is gone. I would recommend that Delta really look at this policy and the safety issues involved. I would also recommend that if you have unaccompanied minors you look for another airline.

• Li
            lisa67 Jun 18, 2010

The CEO is [email protected]; Keep emailing him with high priority and he will get tired of you and will "help" you just to stop you from emailing him. I did this because of rude customer service and incorrect information about SkyMiles and finally got a refund and miles reversed due to their error. Good Luck!

Delta Airlinesdon't fly delta: high prices, poor service

This is an email that I just sent to Delta after being awake for over 24 hours and receiving terrible service by incompetent Delta employees. This is the abbreviated version:

My husband and I missed our flight to from JFK to Bradley International Airport, due to taxiing for an hour and lack of direction and failure on the part of Delta to provide connection flight information I might add. No one offered us any information regarding local hotels or rental cars all we were told is that another flight would not be available until the following evening. When we inquired about our luggage we received several different answers. The first attendant informed us that our luggage was still at JFK when we questioned why that would be the case when we would have been onboard the flight to Hartford, CT she stated that she didn’t know and didn’t attempt to offer an explanation. She then told us that her computer doesn’t give her all of the information and sent us to the Baggage Services Department. When we arrived there we waited five minutes before our presence was even acknowledged. We were then told three different things by the same Delta employee. First we were told that our luggage was still in JFK. When we asked why our luggage was still there when we were supposed to be on our way to Hartford and how would we have known that our luggage wasn’t arriving with us, she shrugged her shoulders. She then looked again and said that our luggage was on its way to Burlington…as in Burlington, VT?! She then stated that her computer stated BDL, we had to enlighten the Delta employee that BDL stood for Bradley International Airport, the airport in Hartford, CT. We asked her if she would call baggage in Hartford to assure that our baggage would be held for us, as someone was coming to pick us up and we would arrive in Hartford in approximately 4 hours. She told us no she wouldn’t call but we could call the 1-800 number. WHAT!! Is this what Delta considers customer service? We arrived home at approximately 2:15 am and proceeded to drive to Bradley International Airport getting there shortly after 3:00. Baggage services was closed and we were told to come back at 4:00 am when the airport opens. The airport actually opened at 4:30 and after camping out in our car we were now approaching 24 hours of no sleep. To attempt to shorten this, our luggage was not in Hartford. After looking into it we were told that my husband’s luggage was in DETROIT and they did not know where my luggage was. Apparently it was never scanned in NY so the last time they tracked my bag was in Miami. We asked the Delta attendant if she would call baggage in NY to see if it was still there unclaimed. She told us no she couldn’t call baggage services. WHY NOT! Why are we paying $25 each for luggage that is not traveling with us, not being tracked and that no one can help us locate! As if airfare is not high enough you have now made it mandatory to pay these fees and for what-no one will even offer basic customer service to assure that our property is being delivered to us. We were told by the Delta attendant that these things happen. WHAT HAPPENS, you lose people’s property and fail to do your job of tracking where people’s luggage will be. I guess we should have expected this much. If you can mix up two children and send them to each other’s destinations then of course you can fail to track luggage! I want compensation for the baggage fees that I paid and courteous service and information regarding where my luggage is as, forgive me for not being a millionaire, I cannot afford in this recession to re-buy all of the clothing, jewelry, shoes, toiletries etc…that is in that luggage. The new passenger protection rules require baggage fees to be prominently displayed and fully disclosed, and passengers be eligible for refunds of those fees when bags are not delivered on time. You made sure to “prominently display” the cost to ship the luggage because it benefits your airline, however no one has attempted to compensate me for the aggravation and inconvenience I have suffered for my luggage not only not being delivered on time but being lost and untrackable!

• Sw
              SWarrior423 Jun 16, 2010

Fact #1: Airlines periodically lose luggage. According to an MSNBC study that I just Googled (take it for what it's worth), the average lost baggae rate in 2006 was about 9 in every 1000. Let assume it's about the same now, about 1%. That means they get it right 99% of the time.

Fact #2: JFK is located in New York City, one of the highest hotel rooms per capita cities in the US. Further, if you took a second to observe the signage once you got closer to the baggage claim, you would have noticed an abundance of car rental agencies are available just outside the door of the terminal. Having traveled through there on multiple occasions, it is actually somewhat annoying how many rental agencies there are.

Fact #3: Airline companies are very large. As such, they have developed a centralized process for handling lost baggage. Yes, the attendant could have called Hartford and requested you one or two bags be put aside, however they would essentially be asking someone they've never met to look for a needle in a haystack, not very efficient from Delta's standpoint.

Fact #4: Every airline operates in basically the same way. You are not happy with an experience you had with one Delta flight, and one or two Delta employees. This same circumstance is occuring at every airline, everyday. You have three options: (1) Switch airlines until you get caught in that unfortunate 1% again, then jump on an internet blog and complain about it, (2) Don't check your baggage, (3) take a bus/train. Airline companies are offering a service in order to hopefully make a porfit. If you do not like that service or the fees, move on.

I probably have some more facts for you, however I'm getting bored. I only came on here to confirm whether Delta is the airline that has cable tv and those video trivia games where you can play against other passengers on the flight. Does anyone know? It's either Delta or Jet-Blue (Just for reference, as far as I remember, I have never had a bad experience with luggage or customer service with Delta or any other carrier. Maybe I'm just lucky...)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CABLE TV QUESTION! THANKS!

• Re
              Really? Jun 13, 2010

Can you type larger Heather? I can't hear you...

Ok, let's have a reality check here. In a perfect world, you would be correct. Baggage would get checked, scanned and delivered perfectly every time. However a rational human should be aware that this is not the case. And when bad things happen, it's not a personal attack. Guess what, there's more bad news...Bad things happen to other people too and we all must deal with the imperfections of society.

So the original poster took what is an inconvenient situation and made it exponentially worse with poor behavior and a bad attitude. We can all see through this complaint and know that she no doubt behaved like a raving ###. Who would want to help a poor person lilke her. Are we also to beleive that this person has a job and always performs is perfectly or has she made mistakes in the past?

In summary, me a troll? No. Can I see right through B.S, Yes. But Heather you keep this board entertaining and I invite more RESPONSES (See, I yelled like you...)

Regards.

• Re
              Really? Jun 13, 2010

I don't understand people.

If your luggage doesn't arrive because it is "lost" why do poeple expect a person standing at a computer in an airport to know exactly where it's located? Wouldn't this mean that the luggage isn't lost at all if someone knows where it is located.

Intelligent travelers know to pack the important items in their carry on just in case somethin gets routed incorrectly.

Things happen, get over it. Why do you feel like this is a personal attack against you?

You probably shouldn't travel at all. This just seems way too difficult for you.

Delta Airlinesfrustration

I have never been more frustrated. I was charged $25 twice for a checked bag when using curbside check-in. The attendant swiped my card twice stating that it did not go through the first time. I noticed the second charge the following morning. I attempted to find a customer service line, but that does not exist. I contacted them via email, only to wait 24 hours for a response. Each day they needed more information. I contacted baggage services via phone only to be directed to a number that takes you in circles on its menu. Friday morning I received Delta's conclusion that I had not been double charged and did not need to be reimbursed! I waited 5 days for that!! Only one person helped me at all. She stated that my only option was to go to the Delta counter and the local airport and have a supervisor look at my bank statement and receipt. Not only did they steal $25 from me, but they called me a liar. And it took 5 days to get any response. Get a freakin' customer service line. Clearly Delta does not want deal with all of their screaming customers over the phone. It is much easier to steal from people via email. I will never fly Delta again and would advise everyone I know to avoid it as well. Customer service is terrible at best and they will steal from you when given the chance

Delta Airlinesmultiple service failures

Reservations 3/24/10; Confirmation number QN11V3 for Susan F VanEpps and Timothy V Stewart, roundtrip MYR to MEM for son/brother's college graduation on Sat 5/22/10; original itinerary scheduled departure flight 1274 from MYR on 5/21 at 11:32 AM. Scheduled connecting flight from ATL at 2:41PM to MEM destination was 1281. Online checkin morning of 21st; very suspect that this flight would be canceled because there was no online seat selection option. Not notified until 10 AM of the flight delay to 5:15 PM. This is when Delta should have immediately made offer of reimbursement, allowing option to make arrangements with other carriers, or willfully accept the delayed "protected" travel with Delta (as DL referred to in canned voicemails to all canceled, deluded and unsuspecting passengers). No reason given for delay on bright, sunny day. I'm certain that Delta canceled for economic reasons without any consideration for its customers. I have subsequently researched on Flightaware.com, commercial flights that departed on same date from MYR destined for ATL; several flights by Delta and other carriers departed MYR timely and without incident. God and weather could not be blamed for such a prolonged delay even though this was the illusion made by DL. As it was, the 5:15PM flight still did not depart until 7:00PM, arriving ATL at 8:06PM. We had confirmed boarding passes for connecting flight 4370 scheduled for 8:15 departure from ATL to MEM. We arrived at gate A1 as they were doing final boarding flight 4370 to MEM; this flight was also delayed to 8:55 PM so we felt relieved to make the connection. The agent at the desk (Melhane) was in the process of calling standby passengers to fill the remaining seats; we were being ignored by him to accept our confirmed boarding passes; we finally forced a response from him, but by then he had given away all but one seat to standby. He refused to revoke one of the standby passes of someone who was still on the walkway and had yet to board (I also noted several Delta employees who were also given those final seats). We now realize that we should have pushed and shoved our way to the front of the line, screaming and shouting, "We have boarding passes, we have boarding passes!", rather than to have been ignored, then denied our legitimate seating. What are your priorities here? I asked to speak to a supervisor who confirmed us on a flight that was to depart in another hour. That flight, however, was canceled and another with AS, flight 2002, did not depart until 1 AM EDT. Arrival in Memphis 1:02 CDT. Car rental agencies close between 10PM and 12AM, and it was now 1:30AM CDT. I had called ahead from ATL to request agency with my auto reservation to stay open to await delayed flight; they would not; "you will have to pick it up in the morning." Was able to obtain reservation with another agency that fortunately chose to wait which was NOT customary. I acquired the rental vehicle while my son waited for the baggage at baggage claim. True to form, our baggage did not arrived despite a delay in excess of 5 hours in ATL. Our final destination was still a 1 1/2 hour drive from Memphis. There were many people to report delayed baggage in addition to us, and this process took in excess of another hour with the Delta baggage agents; no compensation offered by Delta for hotel or any other assistance, although they did offer a bag with a few toiletries. Arrived at final destination at 4:30 AM CDT. Ceremony began at 2 PM; baggage not delivered until later in the day.
              This is the only email received from Delta, only to my son and not to me, despite two separate delayed baggage reports. Is your survey random, and if so, do you think this is realistic, comprehensive or even if it begins to address quality control?

Email sent from acs.baggage.[protected]@delta.com to my son and not to me re: delayed baggage survey:

Dear Timothy V,

We are very sorry for the baggage mishandling you reported at Memphis Intl airport on May 22, 2010. If you could provide your feedback concerning your Baggage Service experience, we would like to share that perspective with our leadership team along with the individual customer service agent who took your claim. The below survey link is between 8 and 15 questions depending on your specific circumstances and should only take a couple of minutes to complete. We thank you in advance for your feedback and again offer our deepest apologies for this unfortunate event.

Survey: http://delta-acs.com/bso/bso.php?id=1829&batch=37&h=n

Sincerely,

Delta Air Lines Airport Customer Service

Explanation of survey responses to email from Delta Re: delayed baggage received 05/23/2010:

This is not Timothy V responding to your obviously random survey. This is Susan VanEpps, primary reservation maker, ticket purchaser/holder, and mother of Timothy V who accompanied me on this trip. I did not personally receive an email questionnaire for follow-up re: our delayed baggage, so I am taking the liberty of responding to my son's request for input that was emailed to MY email address. Obviously, this is simply one additional problem that I find with Delta's continued and inexcusable deficiencies. Our trip confirmation was # QN11V3, and the reservation was made on Mar 24, 2010 (two months earlier). The baggage delay was just another horrible inconvenience linked to the worst traveling experience I have ever endured in my life, and yet Delta is initially more concerned with determining the quality of management of delayed baggage than it is with surveying the incomprehensible treatment of its customers (prior customers in this case) during this horrendous experience. I refer you to the poor grades given in the survey link above, and I shall clarify the reasons for these poor grades.
              1. it was 3 AM 5/22 and the agent was too tired to care by the time he got to me, the last in line of MANY whose bags were undelivered despite the fact that our flights had been delayed long enough for the bags to have been there the day before
              2. not applicable because I would have been amazed in the first place if Delta would have freely offered ANY sort of reimbursement let alone just out of pocket expenses
              3. yes, bags were recovered; congratulations
              4. Delta knew for HOURS of the delays; additional staff should have been dispatched to speed the reporting process and aid in minimizing our exhausting inconvenience
              5. no, delivery company did not contact prior to delivery as was promised
              6. despite receiving baggage, how can I be satisfied with delivery service that was to contact prior to delivery and did not; I was placed in a position to call to determine delivery status
              7. no easy computer access or time at my destination to contact Delta.com
              8. agent was excellent but the call waiting was too excessive and the file reference number was not considered valid in the voice prompt even though it WAS CORRECT

Additional response to Delta:

Dear Delta,
              You need HELP; lots of HELP and you need to RESTRUCTURE rather than grow in size. I shudder to think that you are merging with another airline, only to become an even bigger and more incompetent giant. I will be continuing my research on reporting agencies (FAA, DOT and any other agency deemed appropriate) to forward this and additional information about our experience. I am absolutely amazed that I have not received a survey request from Delta to ask about this flight experience. Where is your leadership team and your customer service, as referred to in the baggage email correspondence, when Delta should feel obligated to address the treatment outlined above? Your surveys should not ignore a much more serious problem with your airline and only address delayed baggage! How worthwhile do you think your deepest apologies took us in this horrible experience with your airline? I also thank YOU in advance for YOUR feedback, and I offer YOU an opportunity to compensate for this unfortunate event.
              I will allow 10 business days for your direct response and offer of compensation before I initiate dispute with my credit card to reverse the charges for this flight, in total, to include excess baggage fees for my son and me. Our return flight was fortunately uneventful, but I was amazed again at the notice of overbooking at the airport self check-in kiosk in MEM. Delta offered payment to us to take a later flight but has offered NO compensation for the totally unacceptable service received on the 21st that continued well into the 22nd. I can't even call it service. And to recall that I spent just under $900 for this service makes me feel even more disgusted. The next step is yours.

Susan F. VanEpps MD
              8590 San Marcello Drive #101
              Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
              [protected]

• Ca
                  cardfan62 Apr 09, 2012

I agree with your distaste for Delta airline. I was loading my carry on in the overhead bin and the metal trim surrounding it came off and hit me in the fore head and on my lip. Do you think the stewardess asked if I was Ok. No... She jokingly said I broke her plane and would have to pay for it. I showed her the bump and red mark on my forehead and she totally blew me off. I was totally embarresed and in shock that an airline would treat a customer this way. I was also very nervous to even fly on an airplane where parts where just falling off. Made me wonder if a wing was next. I caalled Delta when I returned home and explained my experience. I recieved an appology and a $50 voucher for a future flight.. Like I would ever fly Delta again. LOL Good Luck to you. Sounds like a nightmare.

Delta Airlines — delta airlines very risky, racist and outdated fleet and crew

Never travel by delta airlines, if you value yourself — Delta airlines is bloody racist. I wa...

Delta Airlines — con artisit selling delta companion pass

A guy who posted on Craigs list that he is selling Delta Companion Pass. He posed with the following...

Delta Airlinesstolen camera

I just returned home from Puerto Villarta, Mexico via Delta Airlines and my new Nikon Coolpix L100 camera was stolen. I packed it in my luggage and
                checked it through to Rochester, New York. I only saw my luggage briefly when I had to retrieve it after customs in NYC.. when I had to walk it about 60 yds to
                before having it sent through to Rochester. When I opened my suitcase upon arriving home, I immediately saw that it was NOT there...because I had also put some earrings and a necklace that I had brought for my daughter in the front zipper of the camera case and I had NOTHING to give her. I called Delta airlines baggage and they told me that I had to fill out a claim for "lost" or stolen goods. I have been reading about similar complaints about stolen goods, but until now I had NO idea that
                something of this nature could actually happen. I have NO choice but to leave my luggage open and because of Airline policies you cant POSSIBLY carry on everything of value. You HAVE to trust people to do their jobs and NOT steal from innocent customers just trying to have a decent vacation with their loved ones. I feel
                violated and not only because of the value of my new camera, but also because the memories of one of the BEST vacations that I have ever taken are gone and replaced
                with sorrow and disgust. I can't possibly be made whole, but I expect that Delta Airlines should be held responsible for the actions of one of THEIR employees and
                reinburse me for the cost of the camera. It was MY camera and one of THEIR employees STOLE it!

P.S I will provide proof of the date of purchase for this camera if needed! My husband took out insurance on it...but that was for defects or if it was broken..NOT stolen!

Delta Air Linesdo not ever fly delta, stupid at its peak

I booked a flight from SFO to Dublin, Ireland by way of Atlanta on Delta. I spoke with the reservations department as did the travel agent from Quinn Travel (San Francisco, CA). We were told that I could bring my small cat as carry-on provided I obtain the proper health certificates.

I did all that was required and had all paperwork with me but was still refused boarding on the plane. The first "issue" was that the hard-side carrier was too large for carry on with a pet. The size of the carry on was well within the limits of regular carry on but I was made to purchase a soft-side carrier for the trip. (By William J at SFO) After I had done that I was told that Ireland would not accept pets from in the cabin travel and that my cat must travel as cargo. Then I was told that Ireland had an embargo against pets traveling into the country from May to September 15, 2009.

I am out a great deal of expense due to Deltas misinformation and lack of professionalism.

I MUST take my cat back to the vet at least twice for the health certifiates to be re-done for international travel. The USDA certificate within 10 days of departure and the domestic certificate between 24 and 48 hours of departure.

I e-mailed the pets and agriculture office at Dublin, Ireland and was told by that government official THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN EMBARGO!!!

I am severely inconvenienced as I am trying to move to Ireland and am currently stuck here. I have no income as I am relocating and this delay is a financial hardship.

DO NOT EVER FLY DELTA. STUPIDITY AT ITS PEAK!!

• Quiet_Observer Nov 14, 2010

What crappy service!

• In
                      independent-opinion May 18, 2010

Freak airline, wonder why it is not bankrupt yet like nwa and many other American substandard airlines. They can't even stand close to SQ, Cx, EK etc.

• De
                      Deltaailinesssucks May 16, 2010

Never travel by Delta Airlines, if you value yourself

Delta airlines is bloody racist.
                      I was travelling from Detroit to Hongkong and back. While return I found something very unique which I never came across in my travel history with dozens of other airlines.
                      Just because I am not white, my baggage was flagged with Red lable, while checking in with Delta staff who were local Chinese. To add to injury, they have sent me to separate interogation counter where I was asked several questions, if I was travelling with purpose, if I packed my baggage myself, where I was for last few days etc. On my displeasure they said it was random check by airlines. Upon completing this, I was standing there to see if they check anybody else. None of the passenger was flagged including blacks or whites in that fully booked flight except me. I went to counter again and requested to talk to manager. He came and said, it is just that the computer randomly selected me out of whole bunch of passengers. It was just because I am of South Asian decendent ( not muslim), though I am North American resident.
                      I told manager how can hongkong administration can be so racist, specially hongkong's economy is only surviving on tourism and trade fairs?
                      It is my opinion that Delta airlines have instructed world wide to specially check all the south Asians no matter they are muslims or not. Even their baggage tags are flagged with red label.

It is my request to all of you that never travel by Delta airlines which is bloody racist and involved in discrimination.

Besides their onboard services, they just have one young flight attendant at the gate to welcome, to make it compete with other good airlines. But once your enter inside you will find total old age above 65+ flight attendants who are suppose to be playing with their grand childrens. What best you can expect from this racist american airlines.
                      there are great airlines like singapore airlines, cathay, emirates, lufthansa, etihad, korean, asiana. Why even delta- nwa management even bother to run this almost sick, bankrupt airlines.
                      I will always avoid these hopless airlines and warning others not to travel this risky airline if you have self respect and value your own and family's life.

Their fleet is all outdated garbage. I forgot to mention, at detroit during beginning of my onward journey the cargo door of airline was broken, for that flight was delayed for more than 2 hours just before take off. Because of this I had to stay in Narita for one night and my business schedule was disturbed. Interestingly this airlines never fly in time, and also their fleets are technically not upto date unlike other great airlines in Asia. Delta airline is highly risky, untimely. Food is horrible, drinks they charge 6$ even for such long flights. Only good thing is that it comes from the land of George bush. God bless this racist ba**stards

Delta Airlines — delta airlines very risky, racist and outdated fleet and crew

Delta Air Linesdont waste your time with delta skymiles

Dont waste your time with Delta Skymiles! They make it seem so simple when it is not. You still have to pay no matter how many miles you have accumulated. First off, I did not have enough Skymiles in my account so my husband gave me some of his. It cost an initial $30 then $10 per 1, 000 miles. I ended up paying $70 total. The I found out that I cannot pay for partial tickets with Skymiles but, through a "special" promotion, I could apply for a American Express card and be able to pay for some of the ticket with my earned Skymiles. The remaining balance would have to be put on the American Express card. Then, I was told that the amount of miles I needed to fly to the same place but maybe on different days could cost me more Skymiles depending on the day. One day it was 25k for a 2hr flight and the next day it was 32k. Also they told me that if I changed my mind about using my Skymiles after I booked, that there would be a "restocking" fee of $100. No matter what you do with your Skymiles, you will end up paying a fee. Skymiles is such a joke!!!

Deltapoor treatment

On 3/13/10, during the recent windstorms, my family and I flew from Nassau to LaGuardia, NY and were to connect to Detroit on Delta airlines. The plane was delayed before take-off for 20 minutes to take on extra fuel the pilot indicated. Little did the unwary passengers know the airport was closed in New York and the pilot wanted to be ready to circle the airport for some time. This fact was only revealed to the passengers mid-flight. We were told there were high winds in New York and the airport was only intermittently open for short periods of time. The pilot informed us that it was unlikely we would be able to land in New York and suggested we may be re-routed to Pittsburgh. Nothing else was relayed to the passengers until we had circled LaGuardia for almost two hours. At this point the pilot told the passengers that we were not going to land in New York, as the airport was still closed and now low on fuel we had to be re-routed immediately to another airport. The airport we were sent to was Harrisburg, PA (apparently a charming town - I had plenty of time to read their tourist literature while there). Unknown to any of the passengers until we were on the ground, the Harrisburg airport was only equipped to accept commuter jets and not a jet of our size. We waited on the tarmac for approx. one and a half hours while we were told someone was coming in from home to determine how to unload the aircraft. We finally disembarked about 9:30pm, approximately 8 hours since our departure. Most of the passengers had not eaten since breakfast and were starving and no special effort was made by the airline to feed us. There were no open restaurants in the Harrisburg airport. We were told that we were going to overnight in Harrisburg and try to get to LaGuardia the next day. We were told that no one could unload our bags and they would stay in the belly of the aircraft overnight. Delta made arrangements for all of the passengers to stay at a nearby Best Western. I informed to flight crew and the ticketing agent I waited in line about an hour to see that both my wife and I had medicine in our luggage that we needed. We were told that retrieving our luggage was impossible and we were repeatedly chastised by Delta personnel that we should have packed our medicine in our carry on luggage, implying that the problem was due to our poor foresight and not their fault The fact of the matter was that we had medicine at home and assumed that if our luggage were lost we would be O.K. Little did we imagine that we would be mishandled not our luggage.
                      Once we arrived at the ticket agent's desk we were told that there were no flights to Detroit, our final destination, they were all over booked. If we went back to New York there were no flights and if we tried to fly direct from Harrisburg there were no flights. They refused to take the time to see if we could be re-routed through another city like Cincinnati or Atlanta. I understand that by this time it was late and the ticket agent was probably tired and there were many other passengers to help, however, I was shocked when her response to our plight was to say, "here's the 800 #, try to find a flight by calling the number." I felt as though the airline had dropped us in a strange city with little prospect of getting home, no luggage, no medicine, and no food and essentially abandoned us with nothing more than a phone number. The story didn't end there. We went to the Best Western where the kitchen staff was trying to close and luckily we and several of the other passengers were able to order pizza delivery, some, but definitely not all of the passengers were able to get food from the hotel restaurant. I repeatedly called the 800# only to get a busy signal. Finally after midnight I got through and waited for another 30 minutes for someone to answer the phone. They told me there were two seats on a 7:30am flight and another two seats on a 4:30pm flight. I explained that we were traveling with our daughter and her college friend and we were uncomfortable with splitting up, to which the person on the other end of the line responded, "that's what we have take it or leave it, if you don't take it someone else will and you'll have no flight." We reluctantly made the reservation. It was now about 1:00am and the night we switched to daylight savings, so were going to loose an additional hour. So at 5:30 am with virtually no sleep, we all went back to the airport. A ticket agent did look for our bags but was unable to find them and I appreciate at least one person working for Delta who seemed to care for our predicament. We sent our daughter and roommate to Detroit. We tried unsuccessfully to go standby and waited in the airport another 9 hours for the next flight. Since we don't live in Detroit but had driven to the airport our daughter and friend had to wait in Detroit for us to get there 9 hours after them, sleeping on benches in the airport until we arrived.
                      In summary, we left Nassau to fly to an airport that was closed. No one but the flight crew knew this. Second we circled the airport in New York with a "land at LaGuardia at all costs attitude, " until we ran out of fuel and had to be re-directed to an airport that could not accommodate us. All of this could have easily been avoided. We could have been told that the airport on New York was likely closed prior to our departure. When the plane arrived in New York and the airport was closed Delta could have immediately re-routed us to a suitable airport rather than circling until we ran low on fuel. Certainly, they could have cared more about our welfare during the ordeal.
                      Unfortunately, no significant effort was made by Delta to ensure that we were fed. No significant effort was made by Delta to help us get to our ultimate destination. "Do the best you can" and "take it or leave it" was their attitude. No significant effort was made until morning to get our medicine. I am a practicing physician in Michigan and if any of my colleagues or I made "seat of the pants" decisions about our patients welfare that in retrospect were as poorly made we wouldn't be in practice very long. I am amazed that airlines, which must deal with this sort of problem on a regular basis apparently have very few guiding principles and policies to help them, instead it is just the luck of the draw where you go and how you're treated. Hopefully the airlines can learn something from our experience. The airlines seem to think that if they get you to your destination in one piece, no matter how long that takes they did their job. In medicine if we say to patients at the end of a procedure, you’re procedure was done and you’re alive, that is rarely adequate consolation to them. People want to be and deserve to be treated with dignity.

Sincerely, Keith Getz

• Xe
                          XenoMiang Mar 31, 2010

That's awful

I fly Midwest ... only airline for me, had numerous problems with Delta.

• Pa
                          passenger 0 Mar 25, 2010

Sincerely, Keith Getz

Delta Airlinesinvalid e-ticket number

Have a credit with a major ailine that expires soon and I want to use it to reserve a ticket. They are making me buy a more expensive ticket when I can find a cheaper one on their website. They say I cannot use my credit online as I have to speak to an agent and when I do, the agent says she can only find a more expensive ticket. The cheaper price is still available online. I'm already paying a $250 fee for changing flights and now they want me to pay a more expensive ticket!!

Delta Airlinesrefused lost baggage claim

Delta lost my baggage on September 17, 2009. I mailed in my lost baggage claim forms two days later with my original bag tag.

On December 22, 2009, I received an email saying my claim forms had been lost and I needed to refile my claim.

On March 16, 2010, I received a letter in the mail stating my claim for lost luggage has been denied because my claim form was received after the 21-day filing period.

Delta ignored the fact that THEY LOST my original claim form that was correctly filed within the 21-day filing period.

This is ridiculous and unacceptable. They shouldn't be able to continue practicing business in such a way, and should be forced to be held accountable for their mistakes. They need to honor their responsibilities to the patrons paying for their services.

• Mo
                              Money Doctor Nov 25, 2010

I went through this exact scenario with Southwest. You have to find out what firm receives their legal correspondence (you do not serve the airline directly) and serve a lawsuit. If you complete a legal search, you will find they are liable upto $3500 and the airlines are not allowed to refuse reimbursement for items such as electronics, refer to the link below (14 CFR part 254). Of course do not forget to factor in your fees involved in the process, costs of items lost, baggage value, your time and trouble, and anything else into you final total.
                              From here they will negotiate a settlement with you most-likely. Of course the first offer is always a low-ball, but be somewhat reasonable...while keeping in mind the trouble they put you through. I'm sure this is the usual process and I think it has developed this way as a number of fraudsters try to steal from the airlines. So good luck and I would recommend that you get a cash settlement to cover your financial losses and airline vouchers to cover your time and trouble.

Delta Airlinesnever fly with them

Our Delta experience of 13 february 2010.

We would fly out of Brussels to Manaus over Atlanta. Flights in and out of Atlanta were affected by a snow storm. Atlanta was already overcrowded and those people travelling to Atlanta with connections that were already cancelled were kept in Brussels. I hope only in case no alternatives were found. Our connection to Manaus was OK so we left for Atlanta.

We arrived around 2PM and our connection to manaus was only around 11PM so we had plenty of time in Atlanta to eat, drink, be bored and eat & drink again. We knew this upfront so this is certainly no complaint to Delta.

At around 10PM we headed for our gate. Crew and pilot were there as well as the plane (we saw them enter the plane while we were waiting). Flight was still shown as on time. 10 to 15 minutes later, when we were ready to board, our flight was cancelled and the ground personnel behind the desk ran away. Few minutes later she came back and made the announcement that the flight was cancelled because there were lots of planes waiting for de-icing and the wait time was estimated to be 5 hours.

We were directed to a desk to be rebooked to another flight. From this desk we were sent to another desk and finally once more to another desk as yet again we were sent to a wrong 'customer service' location. We ended up in an enormous queue and finally made it to the service responsible at 1AM. (3 hours later) All they could tell us was that we were booked standby on next days flight. 'Flight was full but we had a good chance to get on this flight as there were probably more flights to be cancelled tomorrow and so some people wouldn't make it to this flight.'

We tried the self-service kiosks that were present but these told us to speak to an agent. Just rebooking us as standby on next day flights could just as easily be done automatically and it may have shortened the queue.

The situation was everything from pleasant. The people behind the desk were definitely making overtime and getting tired and grumpy. People that had been waiting in line for several hours were also hoping for a better alternative than the one proposed as that gave absolutely no guaranties about when they would make it to Manaus. If Saturday's flight was full the next flight was only on Wednesday. (4 days later) We had a cruise leaving Manaus on Sunday so if we wouldn't be on the next flight we would miss our cruise and would need to try to catch up in another city. It was an Amazon cruise and the next ports didn't have airports so we would lose one week.

We tried to work together with the customer service to find other alternatives but we got no collaboration at all. All they could offer was to put us standby for tomorrow. We also got no hotel or compensation as this was related to the weather, an act of god. I doubt this was the true reason as they did tell us before that they did not want to wait 5 hours for de-icing. At this point it is their decision not to fly although it would have been possible. We heard planes leaving all evening & night so the airport has not been closed.

Even when it truly would have been an act of god it is still very disappointing to not get any service or compensation as a customer. Not even a minor form of empathy. We had a similar problem with United last year and United did offer us compensation when they were not obliged to do so. Underpromise but overdeliver. This gives you a wow feeling as a customer.

Next Day, Saturday we also spoke with several of Delta's customer service agents to explain our situation and see for possibilities that would help us to be on time for the departure of our cruise. Doing the same story to different people we finally had one agent, the third one, that showed some empathy for our situation. That was at least 3 hours later again. She put us up in the standby list so our chances were a bit bigger.

Then we got a phone call from our travel agent (we stayed 3 more hours up Friday night so we could call our travel agency as soon as it was 9AM in Belgium) that she managed to buy 2 new tickets on today's flight to Manaus. We originally had booked U-class tickets, the new tickets were B-class. At first Delta was not willing to rebook our original tickets to these new tickets but another intervention from our travel agent finally made them change their minds. As such we got confirmed seats on Saterday's flight to Manaus after several stressful hours.

Off course I was happy to have this seats but I was surprised to discover that Delta is still selling tickets on a flight that has a lot of people already on standby. The right thing to do from a customer service point of view is to get your customers to their destination asap and not to make profit by selling more expensive tickets to new customers. Again I was very disappointed to see how Delta takes care of his customers.

Our travel agent told us she was yelled at when she called them for the second time on this issue because she was interfering with their customer service. I cannot verify if it's true but I tend to believe her.

If you think this is the end of our story you're wrong. ..

We carefully monitored our flight for the remainder of the day, hoping it would not be cancelled. When it was time to start boarding everything went normal and all people with confirmed seats got on the plane. We had about 10 or 11 more seats and standby people were called to get on the plane. We waited for some minutes, it looked like hours. We wanted nothing more than to leave Atlanta. Finally a public announcement was made in the plane : 'We were overweight for about 5000 pound and all the standby people would need to disembark the plane again'. Some of them were also on our cruise and of course they didn't want to get of the plane again. You get a seat and then again they take it away from you. It took the crew a while to get all standby people of again. At this point we were very happy to have confirmed seats!

We were still waiting and then suddenly we saw 3 people coming back on. Apparently they did a miscalculation and they were not that much overweight at all. All standby people could have gone with our flight but some of them directly left the gate after disembarking the plane and they did no effort to page them to come back. Another announcement was made about the miscalculation and the fact that just unloading the luggage of the standby people was enough and we were ready to go. People that were on the standby list would get their luggage with a next flight. We had another reason to be happy, we were flying and at least we had our luggage. If we would have been standby we would be travelling without luggage.

When we arrived in Manaus there was another surprise for us. Our plane did not take any luggage at all. From nobody! Our flight had taken cargo instead and suddenly off course it was clear why we could be overweight.

This is just a slap in your face as a customer. The company you're flying with prefers to take cargo of somebody else instead of your luggage. F*ck you customer, I'm not interested in you at all. By taking this cargo I have a lot more profit. You can wait for your bags.

Our cruise left the same evening so no way we would get our bags. Delta, taking care as always, would sent them to Manaus but would not send them to Santarem. (the port we would arrive three days later) Luckily Princess Cruises took care of our luggage and offered us compensation and formal clothing so we could still enjoy these first three days of our cruise. Thumbs up for Princess Cruises that showed how you can make the difference.

Not one good word about Delta. I know they can't manage the weather but there're lot's of things that they could have done better. And a flight that leaves with cargo instead of luggage. Who does something like that !

Deltaoverbooking

Booked well in advance, at the airport 3hrs prior to flight and was mis led . I was told I would get a seat when I got to the gate . I believed her and it didnt happen. How and why does this happen and why cant they be up front with their passengers. I didnt know I wasnt boarding until a couple of minutes before take off. At least let me know ahead of time( and there was time ) so I could weigh out any other options and be prepared.They left me panic stricken and stressed with no help from them. This just doesnt seem right

Delta Airlines — stolen lost items

On January 15th, 2010, I traveled from Detroit to Washington D.C., once I was on the plane I realized that my...

Delta Airlinesovercharging customers

When checking in online in Mexico, delta.com will overcharge customers for extra baggage fees by more than $300.00 per bag!!! What should cost $25.00 for one extra bag will cost you $332.00 if you pay with credit card. The correct charge is $332.00 PESOS but then it is not correctly converted to dollars and your credit card will be charged $332 USD. Watch out for this scam!! Delta is aware of this, and evidently not concerned, as it has been going on for months, according to a Delta representative in Mexico!

• You should have a receipt for the transaction; check the amount. If it is indeed 332 Mexican pesos, then you will just need to send the receipt together with a copy of your credit card statement showing you were charged too much to Delta's customer care department so they can make the correction.

What employee told you they have been doing this for months????? Somebody told you this before you checked in? Or did you fly back there after you discovered the charge on your statement and an employee told you this? I think you may be exaggerating a little here... Just have them correct it. Errors happen.