Consumer CellularAARP

R Review updated:

I have been a member of AARP for years, thinking they had the best interests of seniors, I enrolled in Consumer Cellular due to their reviews and ad's, What a mistake, worst phone services ever. I live two miles from a cell tower, phone would not work in the house, had to go out in the back yard to talk, during the winter, cold wind and snow, during my wifes cancer treatments, talking to doctors, what a nightmare. Talked to customer service four times without results, they said it was because of my metal roof, I finally bought a new I-phone through them thinking that was the problem, no difference. Cancelled my service and went to walmart and got straight talk with unlimited everything for a cheaper price, wow what a great service, everything works perfectly anywhere I go including in my home. As far as AARP, I will not renew my subscription again due to the fact that they are just another gimmick to ripe off seniors. Just my opinion.

• Be
    betternowtoday Mar 25, 2018

I'm a Senior, who went to Consumer Cellular based on their advertising with AARP and their television adds.
    Went I purchased the phone and activated their Cell Phone Service, I made certain that no monthly payment for service would be automatically submitted prior to the 14th of each month. Consumer Cellular Representative assured me that there would be no problem with after the 14th of each month for payment. It was my clear understanding and an actual promise voluntarily given by the Consumer Cellular Representative, no automatic draft for monthly service would be submitted prior to the 14th of any month.

However in June 2017, Consumer Cellular submitted their draft to my Bank, 6-days prior to our agreed 14th of the month. I telephoned Consumer Cellular, immediately upon becoming aware of their breach of our payment date agreement. I was pleased with the Customer Service person, who apologized for Consumer Cellular's mistake and stated: the date of the 14th shall be honored from now on. That some how my account payment date had been changed by someone in the company. But, she had corrected the mistake and changed the payment date back to the 14th.

Eight-months later in February 2018, Consumer Cellular, again breached our payment date agreement; submitting a draft to my bank days earlier that the payment date. This time Consumer Cellular's breach of our agreement had much larger impact. There was money in the Bank Account to pay for work done on my property. But, when Consumer Cellular submitted their early draft for payment, and without my knowledge it shorten the funds available for the Check.

Consumer Cellular's second breach-of- promise to me, a Senior Consumer, was the direct cause for a "Return Check" scenario. I telephoned Consumer Cellular, informing them of my difficult situation in which I had been placed by their wrong act.

The Customer Service person, stated: I had to email the next level of Customer Service in order to receive any resolution to my issues. twelve emails later with Five-different Consumer Cellular employees all claiming to be supervisors or where the "Buck" stopped. I have" No Resolution"!

What I did receive from Consumer Cellular's caring personnel, were the following; higher payments and my telephone service-interrupted, along with a late fee charge, which I do not owe. A "stop payment" fee on the Consumer Cellular Check for payment mailed to the Consumer Cellular payment Center in Pasadena, CA.

As a direct result of the abuse of use from Consumer Cellular I notified the Bank and Consumer Cellular they were no longer authorized to submit any automatic drafts for payment. From now on all monthly statement will be paid by check. This way this senior is taking back control of her Bank Account from Consumer Cellular.

Consumer Cellular, blatantly retaliated against me for stating to their last Supervisor Janice Hartley: and their Accounts manager Scott, that Consumer Cellular advertises it wants" life-long customers". I dare to ask, how does that happen? Since I, as a customer have found Consumer Cellular's attitude, which has been demonstrated again-and-again as non-caring. Consumer Cellular "policies" and employees repeating their "Company Policies" illustrated a real lack in the willingness to work with the unsuspecting customer (consumer) to resolve any issue pertaining to mistakes made by the companies employees. Refusing to accept any form of responsibility for one of their employee or employees wrong doing, harming the Consumer Cellular Customer.

Consumer Cellular, did not and has not provided any resolution to me as a loyal Customer, for any of their wrongful actions. Rather, instead Consumer Cellular has been abusive, vindictive, and stolen money from a Senior, who was simply sitting at home minding her business and along came Consumer Cellular. This company has forced this Senior to have to pay under duress over $200.00 dollars not actually owed by this Consumer Cellular Customer.

This Senior, was not overdrawn at the Bank, this Senior, had not written a check to a person without the funds to cover, this senior did not authorize Consumer Cellular to submit payment days earlier than was agreed to with Consumer Cellular, on this their second offense and "Breach". The person who performed the work for the customer who had always paid by check without any issues and never had reason to think the check would be returned for insufficient funds and was shocked when it happened. All these embarrassing facts from a Senior Consumer, who always paid her Consumer Cellular Cell Phone account in full every month.

These harmful Consumer Cellular's actions, were not enough. Consumer Cellular, using their vindictive methods against this Senior Citizen, were implemented because this Senior made the decision to stand-up to Consumer Cellular's Corruption and abuse.
    By filing a Complaint with the"Oregon Attorney General's Office", shortly after, Consumer Cellular shut my phone -off. There was absolutely no reason for the interruption in my phone service. The payment had already been mailed, and no money was owed on the account.

Upon contacting Consumer Cellular for an explanation as to why the Phone had been turned-off, and to please reinstate immediately the "phone service" . I was informed by Customer Service, it was due to the fact Consumer Cellular in Oregon, had not seen or received within four days my payment or it had not yet posted.
    However, in this same telephone contact, two different Consumer Cellular Customer Service employees told me the company knew it takes anywhere from seven-to-ten business days for payments to be posted to peoples accounts. Now this Senior, has an additional expense of $27. in order to "Stop Payment" on my mailed check.
    There was definitely no way according to the Consumer Cellular Supervisor, the account would or could be reinstated without an immediate payment by"Credit Card" for the full payment, which now included a service charge and a late fee.

I also incurred these additional cost due directly to the Consumer Cellular employee (s) whose wrong doing has caused this ongoing nightmare. A $35. return check fee at my bank, a $25. check return at the bank of the person who the check was written to, a $27. "stop Payment" on check Consumer Cellular claims not received in 4-days, so cut my service-off, a late fee by Consumer Cellular, an additional fee charged against my cell phone account for Consumer Cellular to change from "auto pay".

Forget all the glossy advertisements in the "Print" media, the insincere Television Commercials, the possible phony and paid for "JD Power" awards, along with the shady "AARP" endorsement. We Seniors have to stay alert and protect ourselves from unscrupulous and hungering wolves like "Consumer Cellular", who prey on "Senior Citizens" such as us.

By Robin Goldberg