Yes! Communities / security deposit

1 Jacksonville, FL, United States

My name is Lindsay Oliver. I moved out of The Breakers from 9115 Ramiro Street Lot 387, Jacksonville, FL 32221 on July 31st. I spoke with Shelley, the property manager, on September 13th, in regards to not receiving anything from them regarding my move out. Shelley verbally confirmed during our phone call that nothing had been completed in the system for my move out; which explained why I received a billing statement in the mail for August rent, even though I no longer lived there. I have received zero response from multiple emails, phone calls, and even certified letters sent to corporate and The Breakers regarding my security deposit of $1, 550. Per Florida Statute, the proper procedures and time limits were not followed in this situation and I am due the full return of my deposit. I have attached all email attempts for contact with Shelley at The Breakers, which have all gone without a response. You will receive my final demand and the previous demand attempt at your fax number and email today, and a copy will be delivered through USPS. I have been patient while being ignored, if I do not receive a response with my full deposit returned, I will be taking this matter to court.

Yes! Communities

• Updated by LindsayAO, Oct 19, 2018

I deleted emails from my complaint, as I didn't realize this was shared publicly and they had some personal identifying information included in them. Yes! Communities will receive a copy with today's mailings and faxes.

• YES! Communities Customer Care's Response, Oct 19, 2018

Lindsay,

Thank you for your post. We are working your former community management team to investigate this issue and resolve it as soon as possible. We will provide more updates once we have more information. Thank You.

• Updated by LindsayAO, Oct 22, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I hope we can get this resolved swiftly and promptly.

• YES! Communities Customer Care's Response, Oct 23, 2018

Lindsay,

Upon further review we learned that your Statement of Deposit was mailed out to you via certified mail upon your move-out, but it was returned to sender due to an incorrect address. Had you received the Statement of Deposit you would have learned that you would not be receiving any portion of your $1, 162.50 deposit back due to the damaged carpet within the home that had to be replaced which did cost over $1, 300. Should you wish to receive documentation in regards to all this please reach out to our Resident Relations Department at either yesicanhelp@yescommunities.com or call 844-280-2203.

• Updated by LindsayAO, Oct 23, 2018

I have requested copies of the certified receipts and have not received them because I left the correct address with them for move out. When I called in August I was told it would take 30-45 days for anything to be completed, which the woman who collects rents should be informed of Florida Statute. Also, Shelley informed me on September 13th, when she checked the system with me on the phone, that nothing was completed for my move out. This is all detailed in the documentation and request sent out at the end of Septemeber and received by both corporate and The Breakers, as they were certified, to which I received no response to. In addition, I have records reflecting my deposit as $1, 550, can we figure out where the difference is. I will discuss the carpet costs after I receive proof there were certified letters sent to me, as I am in the industry and am aware of how these costs should be calculated applied. Thank you.

• YES! Communities Customer Care's Response, Oct 23, 2018

Lindsay,

It is our understanding that the community management has left you a message in regards to your request for the documentation. Please follow-up with the community management and they can provide you with all of the details you request. Thank You.

• Updated by LindsayAO, Oct 26, 2018

I have been contacted by a sales manager for the communities. She was very polite and helpful during our conversation. She followed up our conversation with an email, as promised, with some documentation. I do still have questions and concerns, so I have followed up through email with her. I have no doubt she will get back in touch, as she was in quick contact with me on the 23rd and followed up as promised. Thank you.

Also, to note, regarding the difference in our numbers for the deposit, we figured out part of the deposit was instead placed towards rent for the 2nd month there.

• YES! Communities Customer Care's Response, Oct 26, 2018

Lindsay,

Thank you for posting on the update with these details, we are also confident the management team will get back to you on any additional questions you might have sent over to them. Have a good day and thank you for your previous residency with us.

• Updated by LindsayAO, Oct 29, 2018

This is an update to advise I emailed Laura last week, letting her know my second request for the return of my deposit, acknowledged as $1162.50, be returned still stands. This request has been received by both The Breakers and Yes! Communities, per certified letter receipts. The reasons being the SODA was mailed out after the 30 day period; it was also not mailed to the last known address for me (each issue is cause for my deposit to be returned in full individually). Please let me know when I should expect this in the mail to the address requested in the certified letters I sent.

Lindsay

• YES! Communities Customer Care's Response, Oct 29, 2018

Lindsay,

We let your former community manager know there is still some confusion on your end over your security deposit, someone should be following up with you shortly.

• Updated by LindsayAO, Oct 29, 2018

There is no confusion on my end. The fact that the SODA was sent out late is cut and dry, 30 day max as required per Florida law. The fact that the SODA/Dispo was not sent to the address I left them with is cut and dry, as required per Florida law; this did not allow me any time to review/dispute, as required per Florida law.

As stated in the letter received by both corporate and The Breakers, this will move forward to court if my deposit is not sent to me as requested. I have been more than patient with the numerous delays caused by The Breakers management, including everything from the SODA/Dispo to plain and simple contact/follow up. The Breakers management has acted in clear violation of Florida Statute.

Lindsay

• YES! Communities Customer Care's Response, Oct 29, 2018

Lindsay,

You will be receiving a certified letter for our legal team in regards to your security deposit, there is nothing more we have to discuss with you, so please wait to receive the letter in the mail which will deliver any additional information needed on your end.

• Updated by LindsayAO, Oct 29, 2018

Of course, the response I expected with bringing up court. I will go ahead and get the legal process started.

• Updated by LindsayAO, Dec 01, 2018

I have not received either a letter or the refund check at the address listed in my previous demands.

Li