Woodforest National Bank / Charged me $3.00 a day overdraft fees

I used Woodforest Bank because my employer paid our wages through a payroll card through the bank. I stopped working at the company and the maintenance fees made my account overdrawn. For 7-8 months Woodforest bank consistently charged me $3.00 a day totalling $750.00 in overdraft fees. I have tried to close the account several times (because I am unemployed) but they tell me to pay the fees before the account can be closed. So they keep charging me $3.00 a day. This is a scam. Never do business with this bank. They will rip you off with bogus fees.

Ke

Comments

19th of Feb, 2009

Really?? because BB&T is worse about overdraft fees.

• Ha
      19th of Feb, 2009

They have done the same thing to me! Mind you, this was not a check I wrote, but an automatic debit that could have been refused. Oh, and you are have to love this! I was told when I opened the account that if it was ever overdrawn just come in and they would work out a repayment agreement. So I did. I was told that the amount I was overdrawn was too little. The minimum repayment amount was $50.00 per month and I would have it repaid too quickly! I am not kidding! Later I went to the bank, now with twice the balance due, the branch manager told me that Yes that is the policy. So I asked if they had racked up enough in fees for me to qualify for the repayment plan now. He told me "Sorry, the repayment plan is no longer available due to tax season! Since people will now have money, there were not offering the repayment plan anymore!" I cannot close the account! They continue to charge me $3 per day and there is nothing I can do about it. I am an unemployed single mother. There is no way I am taking out $400 to repay a $130 charge. Any red cent I would give them comes out of my son's mouth. I will never repay anything more than $160 and they refuse to accept that. But prior to my leaving the branch, the manager assured me they would be there for me should I need them in the future! I could get better rates from a loan shark! No kidding!

• Fa
      1st of Mar, 2009

As of recently, it's not the branch's decision to discontinue a particular product that is only offered to a select number of overdrawn accounts which they feel they can provide support for. The corporate office discontinued the program - don't blame the bank (the branches and employees received no notice that it was to be discontinued on January 1, 2009). Also, in that program, there are minimums because the company doesn't allow you to enroll in this program unless you are really overdrawn so, consider it a compliment that they wanted to work with you and not let the collections agency call you daily. Also, walking into a bank and saying that you refuse to pay more than a certain amount of money is a GREAT way for them to not help you; banks are not rigid unless you give them a reason to be rigid. I work for a bank and customers that come in with an attitude get no help while those who come in calm and prepared get all the help they need. Both of you should really read the disclosures given to you when you open the account because they outline the fees and when you sign the signature card, whether you've read the disclosures or not, you signed for the fees (SAME AT ANY BANK!!!).

In a nutshell, you signed for the fees, you agreed to them, then you racked them up. You overdrafted and you should pay for that because YOU SIGNED FOR IT. Carry a check register and balance your checkbook correctly and then a bank might help you IF you don't know what you're doing.

• Da
      15th of Apr, 2009

You know employees should point out the disclosures in great detail to customers but they rarely do. Try printing the disclosures in larger text and making that the selling point for your bank instead of trying to sneak them past a new customer. The next time u get stopped by a police officer and get a ticket friend, don't complain to me either. You should of known better bud. Have a nice day.

12th of May, 2009

Most banks won't even give you the courtesy of going over disclosures with you!!

And fyi: Services fees NEVER will have an NSF or OD fee attached to them. You have to have done something else with your account to go negative.

• Ca
      5th of Jul, 2013

If people would just keep track of their accounts there would be no way for it to reach that high of a figure...