Whirlpool Hot Water Heaters / product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks!

I have been living at my current residence for 2 yrs. In that time I have had trouble with my whirlpool hot water heater, which is still under warranty, three times. The first time we paid out of pocket for parts and labor to fix it. The second time it quit working the repair man noticed it was still under warranty. I called Whirlpool and they sent parts and we paid shipping and labor to have it fixed. Now the water heater is leaking all over my bedroom carpet and whirlpool refuses to honor the warranty. so now I have no hot water except on my bedroom carpet. What good is that? This product is junk, they don't honor warranty and the customer service sucks.

• Whirlpool Corporation Customer Care's Response, Jan 16, 2013

Whirlpool water heaters are manufactured through a licensing agreement with American Water Heater Corporation. Per their legally binding agreement, they have requested that all customer concerns be directed to them. You can use this link, http://www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com, or you can call (877) 817-6750 for further assistance.

• Whirlpool Corporation Customer Care's Response, Jan 16, 2013

Hello Ernest Hackler. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Whirlpool. We apologize about the concern you have experienced with your ice maker. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard), your user ID name (Ernest Hackler), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number of the unit, your ticket number (29630 ), and email the requested information to Whirlpool.Digital@whirlpool.com. We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.

Va

Comments

• Ra
      14th of Feb, 2007
    Whirlpool Washing Machines - No service parts available!
    India

Dear All Indian and International consumers Pls don’t buy never ever Whirlpool products because of their poor quality product, inefficient service and very poor response to the customers. I had a very bitter experience with my europa classic washing m/c. Which was bought 3yrs back and we had not even used once in a month? But the total m/c was getting iron rest formation and the model also been withdrawn by the company. So, we are unable to service and change the spares now. After registering so many request for exchange against new m/c they are unable to attend our calls and finally they said that they don’t have any option to exchange for a new machine with some values neither fm whirlpool nor fm their dealers. One of their sr. marketing executive Mr.Muthukumar and his assistant Mr.Dinu was responded and behave very harshly and they are not even bothering about the existing customers. So, I here by requesting all you peoples not to buy the whirlpool products. If you need any clarifications pls feel free to contact me thru my mail or hand phone.

16th of May, 2007
    Whirlpool / Sport Duet Front Loader - One year old machine - numerous repairs

In a little over one year's time, we have had two Whirlpool sport duet front loaders, model wfw 8300S. The first was replaced by Lowe's in the first week. The second has had: 1) broken knobs 2) ball bearing replaced 3) two control panels replaced, 4) and now a pressure switch. We have been without a machine for over 13 days. Based on the other complaints I have read, this is nothing. This will be the 5th repair for this machine. I have no expectation that the machine will not break down beyond the warranty period. This concern is supported by many of the other complaints I have read concerning recently produced appliances. The American public is being hyped by the 'blue star' energy efficiency stuff. Yes, front loaders save on water, but a normal wash cycle is 54 minutes. Most top loaders did the job in 25 minutes or less. These machines are quite susceptible to break down issues ranging from broken door latches to mold beneath the rubber lips. The list is endless. I have been told the Whirlpool is the best of this batch called 'front loaders'. If that is the case, I'm going into the used top loader business - the ones that don't use computer boards and chips to get the job done.

• Ro
      2nd of Jun, 2007

I too bought a Whirlpool Hot water heater. It quit working two weeks after it was install by the plumber. I called for service and was told that the thermal coupler was bad. I had a new one put in. It last about a month. I called on the warranty. A service rep at Whirlpool took my info and said that a new part would be shipped the next day which I paid for the shipping. I waited almost two weeks and called back. Another rep said that the first rep never completed the order. He then shipped it over night and I received it the next day. However, it was for a different model meaning it didn't fit mine. I went to Lowes where I bought the water heater and purchased the correct part. They burn out quickly. I have since replaced the thermal coupler about eight times. I replaced it tonight and an hour later it was bad. Sure it is energy saving because it doesn't work. Whirpool needs to make good on this JUNK.

16th of Jun, 2007
    Whirlpool / Refrigerator 450 Ltr - Poor quality product
    India

I bought a whirlpool refrigerator 450 ltrs and is having a valid 5 years AMC contract. I lodged a complaint regarding insufficient cooling on 11 june 07. The complaint no. 4843. Till today no service personnel has visited. The after sales service of whirlpool is atrocious. I have a whirlpool w/machine also for which i faced` similar situation.

• La
      21st of Jun, 2007

I purchased my 50 gallon Whirlpool hot water heater at Lowe's on 6/20/2007 and I am returning it today; 6/212007. When leaving the store, a gentleman approached me with his horror story about his Whirlpool hot water heater and his support nightmare.

After checking on the internet and reading additional blogs and then finding out that Sears is responsible for Whirlpool repairs, I definitely will NOT keep this heater. I will never knowingly purchase any product that is supported by Sears because of my prior nightmare experiences.

It appears there is a problem with the Whirlpool heater and there is definitely a problem with the firm providing the support.

I am purchasing a GE water heater.

• Pa
      26th of Jun, 2007
    Whirlpool Microwave Oven - Whole in the back of the microwave!

Turned microwave on one time without putting something in it. Ran for 30 seconds -everything fine, used it four mores times, fifth time smelled burning and opened it up and there was a quarter sized whole in the back of the microwave. Could have caught fire had i not stopped the microwave-whirlpool did nothing. Not under warranty-bought in 2005 - i feel the public needs to know this is a potential fire hazard and i should have been compensated for it. Nothing from the sears store or whirlpool.

• Ro
      5th of Jul, 2007

BUYER BEWARE!

On 9/2003 I replaced my original waterheater still working after 20 trouble free years a generic brand, with a Whirlpool one with a 12 year warranty. It stopped working early June 2007. I called the warranty number after a plumber said it was the thermocoupler. Whirlpool sent a whole replacement unit for which I had to pay for shipping. The part was useless because it lacked the orifice. I watched the plumber try and remove the "old" orifice it would not come off. Therefore, the entire part was useless. I authorized the plumber to just replace the thermocoupler with one from his company's supply. I had already been without hot water for a week. It has now been working properly. Today I called back to talk with a "Steve" at the same warranty number. He refused to authorize a return of the useless product; refused to reimburse my cost to repair the waterheater; refused to transfer me to someone with the authority to grant my requests. Buyer beware. I'm filing complaints with all the Consumer Protection agencies state and federal and the BBB.

• As
      10th of Jul, 2007
    Whirlpool Fully Automatic Washing Machine - I'm really fed up with service center
    India

My machine is about 10 years old. I've taken AMC. I got it repaired in April 07, that time it took almost a month and so many parts were changed, now again few things r going wrong and again it's going to the service center.

The thing is that i'm really fed up with all this. I want to EXCHANGE my machine with a new one?

• Bi
      29th of Jul, 2007

I am nervous now - my plumber installed a 50 gal electric whirpool hot water heater with life time warranty in June 2006. Big Lowes advertised Lifetime warranty on tank and parts; NO disclaimer about labor extra or at you expense. After 8 months of minimal the control module fails, Whirpool says unit must be replaced; part being sent free but I need to get install.

I saw no advertisement of labor extra - lifetime warranty obviously has many meanings. If I bought a whirpool electric range and there was an electric problem with one of the burner, whirpool comes to the house and fixes the problem. Apparently not with hot water heater that I paid a premium for in order not to have problems.

NOT GOOD BY LOWES or WHIRPOOL!!!

6th of Aug, 2007

I have a 9yr warranty hot water heat that I purchased at Lowes in Feb 06. The control board green light when out on Saturday night an now we are without Hot H2O. Call Monday 8 am because they don't have 24/7 support just to get a person that may knew 3 words in English and had to have every work spelled 3 times to him. He did say that he would be sending me a new board and that it would be here tomorrow, I guess I will see how true the statement is. He never offered to have some one come out and fix the product , they must stick the parts and replacement only warranty "no labor included".

7th of Aug, 2007
    Whirlpool - Poor appliances services!

I ordered service just after beginning of June 2007 .45 days and 9 appointments latter my microwave oven is still not working Technicians are very poor informed about this appliances. I one occasion I was told me as a owner "If you don't know to remove the microwave then I will live because I never serviced this kind of appliance". Another occasion I was told to hire professional electrician because is some problem with my power supply. I am in process with store where i bought the appliance to get help because at this point i have no idea where to get some help. I called to the factory and they told me they need from service technician to tel them the microwave is not reparable and than I will be qualified for replacement. Will never happened because the technicians they are not ready to give up they want to give them more chances. So far they been for the same problem 9 times. By the warranty agreement after 3 repairs for the same problem I am in title for replacement. The argument also from the factory is also the microwave was never repaired so they have to fix it first second and third time to be in title for replacement. 9 times for the same problem to them is counted as only one because repair was not done yet. I am wandering if they will never figure out the problem I will ever be in title for replacement?

People beware!

• Ji
      6th of Sep, 2007
    Whirlpool Washing Machines - No service parts available!
    India

I had purchased a very expensive Whirlpool Europe deluxe Sl. No. 0000790 front loading washing machine in 2001 and I'm pretty disappointed with it. Since 2001, I have had regular visits from Whirlpool authorized technicians to fix lot of its mechanical and electrical issues, which in turn incurred me more than Rs.5,000 and even some of the expenditures are not covered under warranty period (You may check your records).

Now this machine has become a burden for me as we are facing a problem in the electrical control board and presume that shortly the machine will no longer usable. I was told by the service personnel that Whirlpool has stopped this model and need to write to overseas office for its part which will cost around Rs.6,000. We do not have any hesitation in spending the said amount for the smooth functioning of the machine subject to providing a guarantee by Whirlpool on the same.

Since it is a discontinued model and the parts are no longer available in the market, will it be possible Whirlpool y to take this machine back and provide a brand new in lieu. We are ready to pay a reasonable difference if Whirlpool does so.

Jinny.

• Ni
      13th of Sep, 2007
    Whirlpool / Refrigerator - Frequent outages of refrigerator!
    India

I am an disgusted customer of Whirlpool India. I never expected the kind of problems i will have to face after buying the whirlpool refrigerator. I purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator in the 2002. From 2002-2007 the refrigerator has been under outages four years in last four years since purchase. All the times i have lodged the service engineer used to visit my house and straight away replaces the compressor. Since purchase the compressor of refrigerator have been changed 3-4 times. all the times when the compressor has been changed i had to pay a good price as visit charges, relay charges, transport charges. Till now i have paid 1/4 -1/2 of charges of the fridge and still again the fridge is under outage this year. i am very unsatisfied with service engineers at faridabad. What should i do now.

Advise smb!

A disgusted customer.

16th of Sep, 2007
    Whirlpool - poor service

I have a side by side ref about 2 yrs. old. icemaker stopped working. Repairman told me to take it out and bring it to him and he would repair it. After I removed it I discovered the ice tray had a coating on it that was chipping or falling off, and I thought that was in my ice that I have been using. My ice has been contaminated for who knows how long. There should be a recall on this product Whirlpool must not care about what they do to anyones health.

• Um
      30th of Oct, 2007
    Whirlpool Maxigertor 6 Sence - DEFICIENT AFTER SALE SERVICES & CONSUMER HARRASSMENT

Subject:- Deficient service after sale of product & consumer harassment

I purchased the “Fusion Maxigerator 6 sence” of your company from “Next “ retail shop ludhiana on 9th April,07 vide bill no BTC/07-08/74.
    But the company did not bother to depute any person to my residence for installation and demonstration of the refrigerator.
    On 21st September.07, the cooling in the refrigerator stopped all of a sudden & I lodged a complaint with Next retail shop which, in turn, forwarded the complaint to Whirlpool service center who charged Rs.2000 for replacing the freezer despite covered under warranty period & fridge was delivered to me on 30th September,07 i.e. after 9 days. The detail is as under-
    • The representative of the service centre visited my residence on 24th September,07 & after inspection could not locate the fault & informed that the instrument has to be shifted to workshop for locating the fault.
    • On 25th September,07 , he informed on phone that there is a cut mark by knife in the rear portion of the base of the freezer & the freezer has to be replaced. The service centre refused to replace the freezer & insisted me to pay Rs.2000 . As the refrigerator was in their possession. I had no other alternative but to pay the money.
    • On 28th September,07, the service station owner informed me on phone that the refrigerator has been repaired.
    • I went to service station at 7:00p.m. & requested the owner to send the refrigerator to my residence. The owner asked me to pay Rs.2000 to which I agreed with the request that the fridge should be sent immediately. But he informed me that it will be sent next day.
    • I paid him Rs.1000 with the promise that the balance of Rs.1000 will be paid as soon as the refrigerator reaches my residence to which he agreed.
    • But on 29th September,07 , he didn’t send it & when I phoned him in the evening, he insisted that the refrigerator will only be sent after I pay him the balance amount at his office. As I have no other alternative , I went to his office on 30th September,07 paid him the balance amount & then he sent the fridge to my residence.
    In the above context, I may bring into notice the following points-
    1. It was the duty of your company to depute some qualified person for installation of refrigerator at my residence.
    2. We are 3 members in my house & all are literate & know how to use the electronic goods.
    3. Further we don’t require any ice in the month of September when there is no much heat.
    4. If, for a moment, it is supposed that it was a cut made by knife, how it can be made at the rear end of the base of freezer especially when it is covered with a utensil containing ice. As such the plea of service station that the cut been made by knife in freezer is not maintainable.
    5. Moreover, the representative did not locate the fault at my residence & informed me about it only when the refrigerator reached their workshop.

As such, I had to pay Rs.2000 for no fault of mine though refrigerator was in warranty period & it was duty of service station to replace the defected part but he rather made me responsible for it. Further the service station didn’t send refrigerator to my place even after payment of Rs.1000 with the promise that the balance will be paid after refrigerator reaches my house.
    In the light of above, the company has failed to meet its obligation towards consumers during warranty period & providing after sale services. As such I lodge my claim for refund of Rs.2000 , within one month after which I will be free to knock at the door of consumer forum & claim my refund with the claim of mentally harassing the customer.

• Bi
      13th of Nov, 2007
    Whirlpool Washing Machine - Service Issue
    India

We had purchased Sensation Ex 6.5 Kg. FAFL Washing Machine on 23rd Feb 2006. This machine has been giving problem to us from the very begining. Last time when the machine was out of order, the Company took around 2 months time to repair it (despite of our request to change the faulty machine).

Now this machine is again out of order. We had lodged complain regarding this on 02-11-2007 (complain id : KL1107000350). It is already over 14 days and as per your call centre the faulty part is still awaited to be procured.

I fail to understand, How can a company like Whirlpool take months to repair the washing machine ?

I am afraid as to what will happen after the expiry of the warranty period.

• Pr
      13th of Nov, 2007
    Whirlpool Washing Machine - Not attending the call to attend complaints on time
    whirlpool.com

I lodged a formal complaint HD1107005151 on 13/11/07 as my washing machine is not functioning .
    The washing machine is loaded with water and cloth.
    The service centre assured me that a help will definitely reach by evening.
    On inquiry in the evening it was informed that by next day (i.e on 14/11/07) the machine will be up.

I regret to convey that till the generation of this post on 14/11/07 at about 23.00 hrs nobody has knocked our door to attend the machine.

10th of Dec, 2007

In October 04 I had buy new water hearter after 3 years of good service now the pilot light keeps popping out, and no body cares about the warranty! I'll be getting a free thermocouple plus I get pay to have it shipped! Thanks Lowes and Whirlpool for selling and making this pile of junk. I'll rember that with my next cold shower I'll but GE next time.

• Ke
      8th of Jan, 2008

Well, I just had the worst 2 days of "trying" to install this junk WHIRLPOOL 40 gal. gas water heater. My dad and I did it ourselves, as we have done them before. A day after we got it in, we start smelling gas in our basement!!! Obviously, after we hooked up the gas lines we checked for leaks with soap and water, and no leaks on the lines. Today I pinpointed the area of the leak and it was coming from the damn regulator!!!!!!!! I called Whirlpool up and they could have given a rats ###, so I called Lowes back and they were most helpful, they gave me a replacement regulator, but it was the wrong type. Now I am without hot water...!!! And to boot the guys at lowes want me to bring back the whole tank now, for replacement,!!!! That's great, after a whole day of putting this piece-o-### in, now I gotta tear it all back out and waste more gas driving back and forth to Lowes for another piece-o-### WHIRLPOOL, gonna see if I can just get a refund and spend my money elsewhere.

BUYER BEWARE

• Yo
      9th of Jan, 2008
    Whirlpool Refridgerator - Very rude attitude!
    Whirlpool Refridgerator
    204 .S. Spruce St
    Montebello
    California
    Phone: 3238900094

The technician was very rude. We asked what happened? Because it did the same thing before. He said I don't know what the tech did before. I tried to ask another question and he snapped and said it's done I put a heater in. He packed and walked out as we were trying to ask another question. Very POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.