Webster Bank / Fee Abuse

1 Stratford, United States Review updated:

This is one of the worst banks I have ever had an account with. Their system is not in real time and they slam customers with fees without providing the proper communication of insufficient funds. Each fee is $37 and there is no grace period to bring the account into good standing or forgiveness of fees. In between switching banks I deposited a check through a picture on my phone instead of at the ATM. I was slammed with late fees and when I called because the online statement did not accurately reflect that I had any insufficient funds they told me that if I had deposited the check at the ATM $100 would immediately clear, but that is not the case if you deposit a check using your phone or within the bank. None of it makes any sense. It is an antiquated bank that survives on the money it makes from charging customers exorbitant fees. I give it less than ten years before Webster Bank becomes obsolete. This bank runs on the fees it takes from people, and it's just bad business. Everyone I know has switched to Chase or Bank of America due to their better technology, customer service and communication.

Hk
Oct 29, 2014

Comments

• Fr
      1st of Aug, 2015

I deposited a 5, 000 check from another of my accts to my Webster acct via the atm on a Thursday, July 30th. I was told the check would clear the
    next business day, when I phoned customer service on July 31st. On Aug. 1st, when I checked my balance in my checking, I noticed a negative
    balance. I called Webster customer service, and was told my check bounced. I called the bank that my check was drawn on, and they told me that
    check had cleared and the funds paid. I called Webster Customer service back, and now was told I had to provide documentation that my other bank
    had in fact paid the check, which I did do. Webster has held my check for two now going on three days, and the check has cleared. They have
    purposefully caused me bounce fees. I am thinking about filing a legal action because this bank has been doing this again and again. It is by far, the worst bank I have ever dealt with. I am closing all my accts with them this week. What a sad excuse for a bank. They are in business to rape their customers. I am sorry, I have never seen such a poor example for a bank in my entire life. No bank can be worse than these people.