Walmartmoneycard / charging when my card isnt being used

I purchased a walmart moneycard a few months ago. I haven't used it in awhile. But, they keep deducting from it for some reason. I had put money on it to purchase a ticket, but, ended up using it for something else. I'm afraid if I was to put money on it, it will be deducted off, because my balance is saying -$9.01, I think. It's not right that you purchase a moneycard from walmart, & you use it as needed, & yet when you don't, you get charged. Then, when you go to add money onto it, it gets taken off for not using it.

F8

Comments

7th of Aug, 2009

Right on!!! This is a bad gimmick. I purchased a card and paid $3.00 at the store, came home to use it and another $3.00 was taken off. When I called about it, the man said it is maintance fees. What the hell. I will stick with the Bank card and pay a dollar more and not lose money. Money is hard to come by and this place is not helping. I suggest everyone that bought one should contact their local Attorney General and report this place.

• At
      16th of Oct, 2009

"my balance is saying -$9.01"
    Guess what: You owe Green Dot money.
    And they WILL send you a bill.

They charge a monthly fee of $3 whether or not you actually use the card, and whether or not you choose to load money on to it. If you don't want to deal with the fees, pay of your balance, and cancel the card. Don't just ignore your problem, and assume they'll forget about they money you owe them.

To the other commenter:
    "I suggest everyone that bought one should contact their local Attorney General and report this place."
    Report, to your local Attorney General, that a nationwide company is charging you a fee for allowing you to use their services, as stated on the card's packaging. Your local Attorney General would likely laugh at you.

"I will stick with the Bank card and pay a dollar more and not lose money."
    I'm confused. Do you mean opening a debit account? They charge fee's too for certain services such as overdraft protection. They also tend to charge fees if you account goes below a certain amount (usually $200)

If you meant a Prepaid Visa Giftcard, like they sell at Walmart, then yes, they are about $1.50 more and don't charge fees...but they aren't re-loadable, usually can only be purchased at a fixed amount of either $50 or $100, and don't offer any protection at all if your card is lost or stolen. Oh and did I mention they charge a monthly fee after the 13th month of having the card if you haven't spent it all.

Companies charge fees for providing services, they aren't gonna be nice and let you use them for free and bankrupt their company.