Walmart Money Card / can't resolve issues

1 Myrtle Beach, SC, United States Review updated:

My daughter received a money card from my father for her birthday. When he purchased it, the clerks neglected to tell him that it had to be activated with a special code on the bottom of the receipt. (It does state this information on the back of the envelope that the card comes in, in small print, however.) Never-the-less, my father didn't read it, and wasn't informed of it. I have now spent the last 2 months attempting to convince someone, anyone at Walmart, to help me locate the SPECIAL code! To no avail, I still have no answers! There is apparently no identifying numbers, codes, bar codes, etc. to isolate this purchase. As sophisticated as computers are today, tracking inventory and whatever else needs to be done, they cannot locate a purchase made at a particular store, on a given date, with barcodes and amounts loaded onto the card. How convenient that is for them! I have called the numbers listed on the card, but if you haven't activated it, then the automated system disconnects(it doesn't allow you to speak with a real live person). I have contacted the managers of the stores in my location, who have contacted managers at the purchase location, still no information, except "sorry, it says you have to have the receipt to activate". I have even contacted GE Money, the issuing company, they also refuse to help. Where do I go now? This cannot be this hard! There has to be a way to track and identify these cards.
anyone with any insight, please advise!
email: carnationinc@gmail.com

Ke

Comments

Em
  4th of Mar, 2010

That is what happened to me. I purchased 50.00 Walmart Visa gift, (plus 6.00 service charge), moneycards for my neice and nephew. They lost the authorization codes and have not been able to use them. I called the number on the back of the card and there is no live person to talk to. If you reach one there is a charge. I called the Green Dot bank that creates the card and they said to call the number on the back of the card. The Walmart, in Greer, SC tried to retrieve my credit card purchases on the corresponding days but was unable to get the codes.
They had no other suggestions. The contract, which the buyer is suppose to explain to the recipient, is 3 pages of legalese! My neice and nephew are 14 yrs. old! If the card has not been used after 60 days, it is forfeited. I am out 106.00 dollars and Walmart and Green Dot gained. Crdeit card legislation was passed by Congressman Levin but did not address this problem. It is a legal scam! The Walmart and Visa names draw the buyer in, who has no awareness of the problems., Walmart knows that few people will pursue the problems if the process is difficult. Anyone with advice?

Ke
  4th of Mar, 2010

I agree, this is a frustrating problem and it took me several weeks to finally resolve it. I eventually contacted Walmart's Corporate Headquarters where I received a much needed helpful email. I have attached it below for all to see. I have no idea why this has to be so difficult, but apparently the information is not widely publicized, even to the managers and customer service associates of Walmart. I actually printed a copy and hand delivered it to my local store where the CS Associates truly tried, without success, to help me.

Hopefully this will get posted where it can be seen! If you stumble upon it, please copy it, save it, or send it on to anyone who may need it! Money is too hard to come by these days to just let it go!
My issue involved the Walmart Money Card and I know it has helped several people who have contacted me from this website . I do not know if it will also work with other issuers but if not, contact the corporate headquarters! Might as well start at the top!

Keep in mind you will be required to give personal info, which is not a problem for most. The retrieval of the money was good enough reason for me, but the principle of the matter was the icing on the cake. The card was a gift to my daughter, and I was certainly going to exhaust all possible solutions. It paid off in the end!

[***If you require information regarding Activation of a Wal-Mart MoneyCard please call the Wal-Mart MoneyCard - Activation Line at 1-877-965-7848. They are open M-F 5:00 am - 10:00 pm PT, and Sat. & Sun. 5:00 am - 7:00 pm PT 365 days.

NOTE: If you have lost the receipt with the Activation Number on it, you can call this number and enter a sequence of numbers up to 14 digits 3 separate times ( EX: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 1, 2, 3 etc ) to start the activation process. Once you do this, you will be asked to provide personal information for security reasons prior to speaking with a representative.

Customer Relations***]

Good Luck to All!

Mi
  17th of Apr, 2010

Yes I am with the post above mine, go through the activation proccess. And the quickest way to bypass all the garbage is to enter a date of birth UNDER 18 years of age, You will immediately get a live person. I figured this out after about 6 calls.

I got the cards for my kids, activated them online and never got the personalized cards. I wasnt going to let the kids use them until the personalized cards came, but they never did. (because I put them in the kids names and they are under 18) So I called to speak to someone and it was a joke.

Just use a birthdate that makes you well under 18 and they will get you to an agent to speak to "a parent"

What a nightmare!